• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

tookhster

Not impressed at all with the chainsaw dude beginning. It's kinda annoying. The blade room was cool. Now I'm in a locker waiting for this asshole to cut up the boxes so I can move on. Does he have to see me for a sec to start this?

Framerate is iffy on PS4. I've seen some bad texture pop in. All in all though I'm still optimistic about the experience. The graphics themselves are pretty nice. IT'S SO FUCKING GORY I LOVE IT!

Kinda annoyed with the locker waiting. Might just watch a movie for now.

If you're at the part I'm thinking of, you can sneak past him by sticking to the left side of the room he's in. You'll find bottles that you can throw to distract him where the locker is and stuff and move on. Whenever I went to the right side with the locker and boxes I got my ass kicked.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I'm not expecting a guy with a TEW-avatar to understand, but no, it's not only the black bars. It's simply the fact that it's a technical mess and they don't want to do anything about it.

Funny since you have a Dark Souls avatar which was also a technical mess on PC.

Might just hold off for the PC version as I'm already missing out for a couple weeks, which sadly will be a few months down the line. Depends on how much this sudden move is going to cost me between utility deposits and the actual moving costs.

Lucent

Found a single bullet in a cabin.

Literally made me smile.

I found 6 bullets on a guy I stealthed. 'Sup now? lol

But yeah it's still very scarce. I need to upgrade my syringe capacity if I can because only two isn't working. I keep needing to use one to pick one up. But I'm sure I'll start getting beaten up enough to where that's not happening all the time. lol

Hubble

I posted this in the review thread but: Q: How bad are the black borders? I am considering preordering this game last minute online for something new to play but it is really putting me off to have a black border on my 55 inch plasma. I have a feeling it would annoy the shit out of me.

Is there any chance at all of them working on improving the PS4 performance?

I posted this in the review thread but: Q: How bad are the black borders? I am considering preordering this game last minute online for something new to play but it is really putting me off to have a black border on my 55 inch plasma. I have a feeling it would annoy the shit out of me.

I think they are excellent and fit the game well. I wouldn't want to play it without.

-MD-

I don't even notice them but then again I don't notice them in movies either.

Total non issue for me, I actually kinda like them. First 2 chapters of this game are living up to expectations, gonna play some more in a bit.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Played an hour and all I can say is..

hhMljyG.jpg

Just got up to the end of ch. 3 ... I'm loving this... I only had one weird texture pop on ps4 and a few frame dips but the game is far from unplayable.

I am curious to see the responses on how it runs/looks on xbone.

Is fullscreen in this game real fullscreen? I mean I see Windows 8's volume level pop up, my skype timer shows, when people log in to skype it pops up as well.

Mononoke

Banned
sweet. video game medicine

Hah, yes. I really owe you guys in this thread for re-assuring me it was okay to opt out of performance for the time being. I'm so used to wanting the best performance, so it was hard to let go of that. But I'll be sure to play this again on PC when I get better.

I'll have to look into hooking up my PC to my TV too.

Teknoman

So I can't decide if I want this for PC or PS4. My PC specs are i5 2500k with a radeon 6970 2g and 16gigs of ram. Wolf and Rage struggled on my rig (though nothing else really does). Would it just be safer to get this on PS4?

How did Rage struggle on your PC?

I've got a Radeon 6870, 4GB ram and what I believe to be a comparable AMD processor (Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2GHz) and I had 60 FPS or at least what looked close the majority of the time. And that was on the highest settings.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Chapter 5. HOLY SHIT it has everything

Invisible enemies, action sequences, AI partner, puzzles, intensive boss battle, scary moments.

Funny since you have a Dark Souls avatar which was also a technical mess on PC.

I don't know why this is brought up, I never defended the Dark Souls-port. Dark Souls 1 is one of the worst ports ever, even if it's totally playable with DSfix.

But, one thing to think about: Dark Souls 1 doesn't have any black bars and it's actually super smooth when you unlock the framerate. The Evil Within - not so much.

TEW is actually not that far from being as bad as DS, if you think about it. The only thing TEW has going for it is maybe the resolution and extra graphical settings? But it doesn't matter anyway because the game is broken and barely playable.

I wonder if there will be a community fix since they aren't interested in fixing it themselves.

Korigama

Maybe they made the bars so big because they were not able to make the game run well enough with the bars the same size as RE4 (they were considerably smaller on RE4, at least on Gamecube. I never played the PS2 version).
Bars were about the same on the PS2 version.

Porridge

I bought this on PS3 because I don't have a PS4 and don't know when I'll get one.

Big mistake.

I advise anybody thinking about getting this, please go for the next-gen or PC editions. I'm hoping I'll be able to work something out with the store I bought it from so that I can get the PS4 edition.

I thought this would look good on PS3 because the game was originally just for the PS3 and 360. But it's such an obvious downgrade and I'm pretty unhappy.

Trace

Banned
I bought this on PS3 because I don't have a PS4 and don't know when I'll get one.

Big mistake.

I advise anybody thinking about getting this, please go for the next-gen or PC editions. I'm hoping I'll be able to work something out with the store I bought it from so that I can get the PS4 edition.

I thought this would look good on PS3 because the game was originally just for the PS3 and 360. But it's such an obvious downgrade and I'm pretty unhappy.

I wish they would stop releasing games for both old and new consoles. Either the game is held back on the new consoles or it looks like shit on the old ones.

I am expecting my retail copy (PC) to arrive sometime later on today. Would anyone know if there will be any additional files that I will have to download through Steam during the installation?

SaiyanRaoh

Can anyone playing that's using the Mayflash WIi U controller adapter tell me if you got all the face buttons properly setup with Durazno or some other means? If so, how? Whenever I get into the game A is B and B is A. I can't play with the buttons reversed like this and I can't go back to that Xbox 360 controller. Thanks guys.

Odrion

Banned
Just played 40 minutes of it.

Man, a whole lot stranger than I was expecting. The game feels disorienting and off-kilter in a really interesting way. That aspect ratio actually feels necessary to the experience.

Athreous

OMG, I just checked the ps3 version and WTH happened to the graphics? o_O

It's like a ps2 game, but it looks a lot worse than many ps2 games .--.

Odrion

Banned
Also IDTech 5 fucking suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks please stop using it Bethesda. You managed to buy a engine worse than Gamebyro.

Wookieomg

Welp I'm a coward when it comes to horror games but I absolutely love getting immersed in them. The thrill of fear.

GAF hold me, I'm about to dive in headfirst. ;_;

So when at a door, tab once to open slowly, and tap twice to open quickly if its a "gotta go fast" moment. Just like resident evil 4, but the window of interruption is much shorter. You could cancel into the quick open at neatly any time in that have, where as in here, you have to pretty much plan it from the beginning or it wont really work in late frames. Doesn't have any real bearing on the gameplay, just stating is all. Some folks like that sort of info.

Stage 2, Swarm of 10 haunted 4 bullets..yeah, running.

This game is everything I ever wanted. Oh my god. I love it so much. I'm only an hour in, so maybe my mind will change. But this is just...wow. Maybe it's just because I'm hopped on medication (from all the chemo + pain meds)....but I'm so happy right now.

Which is huge. I've been super depressed and broken from my medical treatment. I'm finding it a struggle to hold on. But this game really got me sucked in. I actually love the black borders, and the film grain. Because I love the overall style of the game, and it all comes together and looks like a horror film. I have to say, the FPS is disappointing. Especially when you've become used to 60 FPS on PC. But due to my sickness, I've been having to play this laying from my bed. Usually I sit close to my HDTV in my room, so I notice performance issues. But it's not as bad here, because I'm sitting across the room laying down. Well, that and I'm probably fucked up from the meds (so..maybe not the best judgement).

POINT IS, this is really a good thing for me. It's the tiny light in the darkness that has given me some joy. SO HAPPY WITH THIS!
Happy to hear you're enjoying this, and get well soon, here's to a glorious recovery.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
that 2.2gb of vram miiight be spiking in certain areas. that's the only thing that i can think of that might hold you back. aw well. 30fps is good enough.

I don't know what it is. In that area, with those usages and my cpu not going over 60% use I was getting 40ish fps.

Top Bottom