• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

So when at a door, tab once to open slowly, and tap twice to open quickly if its a "gotta go fast" moment. Just like resident evil 4, but the window of interruption is much shorter. You could cancel into the quick open at neatly any time in that have, where as in here, you have to pretty much plan it from the beginning or it wont really work in late frames. Doesn't have any real bearing on the gameplay, just stating is all. Some folks like that sort of info.

lol! no it does! If there are nearby enemies and you violently open it, they will hear you and come immediately whereas if you open it slow they won't

Ok, anyone figured out a strategy to defeat the chainsaw boss?

I just used the
crossbow explosives on him about 4-5 times

SZips

My experience so far was that I played for 20 minutes and the game crashed. This is after a death at the hands of the first chainsaw guy after he
walks past you while you hide in the first locker

I hope that was just a fluke, but I had no desire to keep playing tonight since it's far too late anyway.

lol! no it does! If there are nearby enemies and you violently open it, they will hear you and come immediately whereas if you open it slow they won't
Oh no, I meant the differences between canceling the slow open to the quick open is much tighter, but doesn't affect gameplay. What I mean is, you probably won't be in s situation where you want to cancel the slow open into a quick open in the middle of the animation like you could in RE4. I'm only on chapter two though, but it seems like a really methodical game right now, and ever move you make is deliberate and concise.

I don't know why this is brought up, I never defended the Dark Souls-port. Dark Souls 1 is one of the worst ports ever, even if it's totally playable with DSfix.

But, one thing to think about: Dark Souls 1 doesn't have any black bars and it's actually super smooth when you unlock the framerate. The Evil Within - not so much.

TEW is actually not that far from being as bad as DS, if you think about it. The only thing TEW has going for it is maybe the resolution and extra graphical settings? But it doesn't matter anyway because the game is broken and barely playable.

I wonder if there will be a community fix since they aren't interested in fixing it themselves.
Weird I'm having no problem playing this game..settle down, you're the spoiled crybaby kind of pc gamer that makes the reasonable pc gamers look bad. Just means this game isn't meant to be played by you.

Gbraga

THIS GAME IS THE REAL DEAL GUYS

THE STRUGGLE IS OVER

nJGKSQ7.gif

Lanrutcon

Weird I'm having no problem playing this game..settle down, you're the spoiled crybaby kind of pc gamer that makes the reasonable pc gamers look bad. Just means this game isn't meant to be played by you.

"I'm not having any issues so you're obviously just being a baby"

Classy.

I changed my mind about this game. It's actually great. Not as a horror game, but as a comedy it's hilarious.

- Achievements are cinematic-mode only! Not enabled in 60fps (because that's cheating).

- Black bars can't be disabled - but you can zoom in and crop the picture so you don't see the black bars! (actual feature in the game)

- Yes, 21:9 is great. It's like cinematic x 21 x 9 x 30fps, that's one billion cinematicness. But if you have a cinematic monitor (21:9) the game will break and you still have black bars.

- The black bars aren't actually black bars.

These guys!

maneil99

I changed my mind about this game. It's actually great. Not as a horror game, but as a comedy it's hilarious.

- Achievements are cinematic-mode only! Not enabled in 60fps (because that's cheating).

- Black bars can't be disabled - but you can zoom in and crop the picture so you don't see the black bars! (actual feature in the game)

- Yes, 21:9 is great. It's like cinematic x 21 x 9 x 30fps, that's one billion cinematicness. But if you have a cinematic monitor (21:9) the game will break and you still have black bars.

These guys!
Why are you posting, you got a refund, so how can you still be playing.

Bl@de

- Black bars can't be disabled - but you can zoom in and crop the picture so you don't see the black bars! (actual feature in the game) RE4 Gamecube edition reloaded. To the MAX!

These guys!

Steam? Well damn ... then again. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze didn't give me any trophies for dealing with this psycho ape for over 10 hours. I'll be fine. Be sure to maybe tell Bethesda about it. They said they are going to fix 60fps issues.

On chapter 4, it's perfectly servicable

I feel it's similar to TLoU's stealth. I have no problems with it. I haven't really played any game where the stealth is any different really.

Nope, I'm really enjoying it.

Did see 2 diff ai get caught on the same fence though lol.
Glad to hear good impressions after reading some mixed ones. Especially the similarity with TLoU's stealth; I thoroughly enjoyed the stealth mechanics of that game.

Now I've got to wait til my GameStop opens. ugh

I'm not sure where this is coming from.

I payed 60€ for this and it barely works. Not to mention it's locked at 30fps and has black bars, there is a huge amount of stuttering and pop-ins. Sure, you can unlock the framerate, but it won't be much smoother because it isn't optimized to any degree at all. The framerate will fluctuate between 30 and 60.

I don't know why that makes me a spoiled crybaby. What am I to expect then? Should I expect a lock at 15fps, and even bigger black bars? More stuttering?

And I mean, it doesn't look great or anything, it's a stab-and-shoot-party in a corridor, why is it so demanding?

Lucent

Glad to hear good impressions after reading some mixed ones. Especially the similarity with TLoU's stealth; I thoroughly enjoyed the stealth mechanics of that game.

Now I've got to wait til my GameStop opens. ugh

Yeah. Really you just crouch and sneak up on the enemy. Then press the button to stab them in the head. That's it. lol.

maneil99

I'm not sure where this is coming from.

I payed 60€ for this and it barely works. Not to mention it's locked at 30fps and has black bars, there is a huge amount of stuttering and pop-ins. Sure, you can unlock the framerate, but it won't be much smoother because it isn't optimized to any degree at all. The framerate will fluctuate between 30 and 60.

I don't know why that makes me a spoiled crybaby. What am I to expect then? Should I expect a lock at 15fps, and even bigger black bars? More stuttering?

And I mean, it doesn't look great or anything, it's a stab-and-shoot-party in a corridor, why is it so demanding?

You got a refund, get over it and stop crying. Every indication before hand pointed to a bad port, you still bought it, that's your fault aswell as the developers.

Lucent

I really don't get the problem. The black bars are hardly noticeable when you're immersed in this game, just like with Dragon's Dogma and RE4. The 30fps doesn't bother me either.

It seems like people playing it on PC are playing it fine.

dreamfall

Dem marathons at the end of Chapter 2- gotta go fast, triggering one enemy and hoping that'd I'd make it!

This game!!! I'm actually loving the stealth. Trying to conserve ammo, doing a poor job of it!

"I'm not having any issues so you're obviously just being a baby"

Classy.
Is the game unplayable to you?

It certainly hasn't been to me or the other people who reviewed and played the game. He's having "issues" everyone has known about for quite some time now, but if you have to be captain save ' em to meet your quota go right ahead.

Dem marathons at the end of Chapter 2- gotta go fast, triggering one enemy and hoping that'd I'd make it!

This game!!! I'm actually loving the stealth. Trying to conserve ammo, doing a poor job of it!
Every time I try a stealth kill, it results in me just hitting them in the head.

Yeah. Really you just crouch and sneak up on the enemy. Then press the button to stab them in the head. That's it. lol.

Yes. One thing i noticed so far is that the enemy petterns and "patrols" are always the same every time you reload the checkpoint/level. The only thing that changes is the "loot" and item placement in the level.

I hope that in nightmare and akumu mode that isn't the case and the AI becomes unpredictable and everything is random just for the sake of justifying those difficulty levels!

These guys!

I didn't see anything about the actual game part of the game in those bullet points you posted.

dreamfall

Every time I try a stealth kill, it results in me just hitting them in the head.

Are they turning around as you're approaching?! I found that R1+X results in happiness, although without a match/torch, extended sadness. I wish we could stop these enemies into oblivion like Issac Clark though!

Wait, am I supposed to have a knife?

Baha, yeah! Which chapter are you attempting it in?

Lucent

Yes. One thing i noticed so far is that the enemy petterns and "patrols" are always the same every time you reload the checkpoint/level. The only thing that changes is the "loot" and item placement in the level.

I hope that in nightmare and akumu mode that isn't the case and the AI becomes unpredictable and everything is random just for the sake of justifying those difficulty levels!

Well, in Akumu mode you
die in one hit.
So...that's already gonna be a pain.

Plumpman

I don't mind the black bars at all, but I feel like I'm fighting the camera to see things a lot of the time.

Otherwise this rocks so far, love that there's barely any handholding.
Is anyone else REALLY digging the transitions from cutscene to gameplay?
So damn smooth.

Lanrutcon

Is the game unplayable to you?

It certainly hasn't been to me or the other people who reviewed and played the game. He's having "issues" everyone has known about for quite some time now, but if you have to be captain save ' em to meet your quota go right ahead.

So a) you're still being a child and b) you missed the point entirely.

Whether or not _my_ game works is completely irrelevant to _his_ experience. Because it runs fine for 7/10 people doesn't magically mean the other 3 should shut up and smile. Why the fuck do I need to explain this to you?

Are they turning around as you're approaching?! I found that R1+X results in happiness, although without a match/torch, extended sadness. I wish we could stop these enemies into oblivion like Issac Clark though!

Baha, yeah! Which chapter are you attempting it in?

Nope, they are oblivious. I just go off pistol whipping them for no reason. I can just hold R1 and hit X right? Or do you hae to push them simultaneously? I'm in the second chapter btw.

You have one from the first level. You automatically use it in stealth kills. He just punches for melee unless he has an enemy's weapon. lol
What in the hell am I doing so wrong lol

Edit: I must be hitting triangle. That's the only explanation lol

So a) you're still being a child and b) you missed the point entirely.

Whether or not _my_ game works is completely irrelevant to _his_ experience. Because it runs fine for 7/10 people doesn't magically mean the other 3 should shut up and smile. Why the fuck do I need to explain this to you?
His game DOES WORK he just doesn't like the design choices and lack of technical marvel. He has the exact same game all the reviewers and myself has, did you really come at me sideways not understanding the whole situation..definitely a captain save ' em all.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
This game is the truth.

Weird that Steam achievements don't work and the game doesn't even show up under recently played. Like, it's in my library and I can play it obviously, but it doesn't show anything about it in my profile. Well w/e.

You got a refund, get over it and stop crying. Every indication before hand pointed to a bad port, you still bought it, that's your fault aswell as the developers.

I'd like to think I'm still entitled to an opinion, and since it's still possible to fix these issues, they could get me into buying this again.

And furthermore, why shouldn't these issues be discussed? I'd like to enjoy the game as mush as anyone else. Developers and publishers should be criticized for stupid shit, not sure what's wrong about that.

It's great if people don't share my issues and are enjoying the game, but if you're not enjoying it and are having these issues, do the right thing and issue a refund. Shady business shall not be rewarded.

dreamfall

Nope, they are oblivious. I just go off pistol whipping them for no reason. I can just hold R1 and hit X right? Or do you hae to push them simultaneously? I'm in the second chapter btw.

What in the hell am I doing so wrong lol

So, I switched the stealth to toggle mode. I usually will just be crouching and hit X button, and it'll do it for me in the Second chapter! Also, there'll be a prompt if you're in position for a proper stealth kill. It'll be right above the enemy's head.

Vasili2K38

Played around an hour and a half, I've just begun chapter 3. The game its very very atmospheric and dark, the gameplay feels like is much more centered in survival than action and I love it!

maneil99

I'd like to think I'm still entitled to an opinion, and since it's still possible to fix these issues, they could get me into buying this again.

And furthermore, why shouldn't these issues be discussed? I'd like to enjoy the game as mush as anyone else. Developers and publisher should be criticized for stupid shit, not sure what's wrong about that.

It's great if people don't share my issues and are enjoying the game, but if you're not enjoying it and are having these issues, do the right thing and issue a refund. Shady business shall not be rewarded.

Your issues are tech related, they are known, there is no point spamming this thread being a baby, you don't even own the game anymore, therefor you can contribute the gameplay complaints.

Top Bottom