• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

So, I switched the stealth to toggle mode. I usually will just be crouching and hit X button, and it'll do it for me in the Second chapter! Also, there'll be a prompt if you're in position for a proper stealth kill. It'll be right above the enemy's head.
I did it! I feel so lame since I was hitting triangle instead of x though

This game is scratching itches I haven't had scratched in ages. Only in chapter 2 but I'm loving everything about it. Off to sleep for now but tomorrow will be a marathon.

Your issues are tech related, they are known, there is no point spamming this thread being a baby, you don't even own the game anymore, therefor you can contribute the gameplay complaints.

They are known? Yeah, known to you and some others on this board. The developers? I don't think you're in a position to speak for them (or anyone else for that matter). And potential customers, don't they have the right to know?

These are real issues, not sure why you feel the urge to keep them down. That won't make anything better. You're only making it worse with comments like "crybaby" and "shut up, I know that already".

Today's lesson: Burn all bodies

Just do it.
Do tell? I save them and trick other haunted into catching fire when I burn a downed one.

Maiden locations I found ch:3
go up the stairs where the guy was shooting at you, turn to the right and it's suspended on a rope, shoot it and it drops

Then there's another one right before you get to those stairs, there's a entryway with a bear trap back up then look up on the left stone wall

Do tell? I save them and trick other haunted into catching fire when I burn a downed one.

You mean you kill an enemy and while he's laying down you lure other enemies to his position and you burn the corpse along with them close to him?

Maiden location ch:3
go up the stairs where the guy was shooting at you, turn to the right and it's suspended on a rope, shoot it and it drops

Fuck! I missed that...

There' also one up the
end of the ladder in the barn

maneil99

They are known? Yeah, known to you and some others on this board. The developers? I don't think you're in a position to speak for them (or anyone else for that matter). And potential customers, don't they have the right to know?

These are real issues, not sure why you feel the urge to keep them down. That won't make anything better. You're only making it worse with comments like "crybaby" and "shut up, I know that already".

They are known, look at their own post on the fucking site. They are already looking into 60 fps issues, bitching in the OT topic is the wrong place to complain. If your goal is to inform the devs you are in the wrong spot and doing a terrible job.

Lucent

Maiden location ch:3

Did you find the one
climbing up the very very tall lookout post? I was climbing the ladder, turned to my left as I was doing it to see if enemies were around, and I just saw it. I had to climb to the top and aim down to shoot it, then pick it up off the ground after climbing back down. Some of these are really well-hidden. =D

-MD-

I fucking love this game, just killed the first boss, fight wasn't hard at all but it was FUN.

Checkpoints in this game are very frequent too, thought they'd be spaced out a bit more, it's like every 3rd kill it seems to
save. Only died once so far to a trap cause my timing sucked.

Maiden locations I found ch:3

Then there's another one right before you get to those stairs, there's a entryway with a bear trap back up then look up on the left stone wall
Just finished ch.2, I got mashed at
the crank gate when I didn't burn the bodies their and they woke up
:-(

Did you find the one
climbing up the very very tall lookout post? I was climbing the ladder, turned to my left as I was doing it to see if enemies were around, and I just saw it. I had to climb to the top and aim down to shoot it, then pick it up off the ground after climbing back down. Some of these are really well-hidden. =D
Checking now! Totally missed that one!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, not unlike Resident Evil 6, the camera movement actually exacerbates any and all slowdown quite a bit. Even if the frame-rate dips to like 28 or 29 fps it feels absolutely awful. Very strange.

Lucent

Get sone rest and tackle the game again tomorrow, I don't plan on sleeping anytime soon, I am enthralled.

lol. I just finished chapter 3. Took a lot longer than it should've because I was stopping to text my friend who was playing the X1 version while I was on the PS4 version. Just exchanging our experiences. I also stopped to go into the save room like 3 times during that mission. Having found keys made me go back at least two times. I happened to open a locker with 12 shotgun shells so I increased my carrying capacity a bit for those and used my shotgun to take care of a couple of haunted before killing the big guy.

He came at me while I was waiting in the
house with the falling dagger traps. He came down the stairs and I pulled the lever, but missed. He hit me as I shot him with a shotgun and I ran passed him and went to the lever on the stairs. Turned around and lugged a grenade at him to stun him and pulled the lever. He got hit by the trap and died. =D

There are so many upgrades though. I am having a hard time figuring out what to upgrade. So far it just feels like it's not gonna be possible to max yourself out by the end of the game. lol

Almost at the end of chapter5. It's by far the longest chapter in the game so far, over twice the length of previous ones.

It's also the best I've played yet since it's mainly indoors where this game excels at. I didn't really dig chapter 2 or 3 but I'm loving chp 5.

Also incendiary bolts are super OP for large groups.

edit: Increase your carrying capacity guys!!

Hmm, not unlike Resident Evil 6, the camera movement actually exacerbates any and all slowdown quite a bit. Even if the frame-rate dips to like 28 or 29 fps it feels absolutely awful. Very strange.

what platform is this on?
anyone out there with ps4 impressions in regards to frame-rate and other technical aspects

About to start chapter 5...

This game is just amazing so far. I was keeping my hopes in check because I didn't think Mikami could make a game like this again but 2 hours and 30 minutes in and I am quite impressed ! That's not to say that TEW is going to surpass or even be the equal of RE4 but I'm so fucking happy to finally be playing a really solid japanese survival horror game in 2014.

Hopefully, I'll still be this positive when I finish the game !

Edit :

And for those interested, I'm playing it on PS3 and it looks ok ! The biggest issue is the inconsistent framerate but aside from that it's perfectly fine if you're still used to looking at PS3 games.

You mean you kill an enemy and while he's laying down you lure other enemies to his position and you burn the corpse along with them close to him?

Fuck! I missed that...

There' also one up the
end of the ladder in the barn
got it, forgot about that one, those guys playing in the review totally ignored it and didn't even talk about what it meant, i found that strange maybe they had just started playing..

lol. I just finished chapter 3. Took a lot longer than it should've because I was stopping to text my friend who was playing the X1 version while I was on the PS4 version. Just exchanging our experiences. I also stopped to go into the save room like 3 times during that mission. Having found keys made me go back at least two times. I happened to open a locker with 12 shotgun shells so I increased my carrying capacity a bit for those and used my shotgun to take care of a couple of haunted before killing the big guy.

He came at me while I was waiting in the
house with the falling dagger traps. He came down the stairs and I pulled the lever, but missed. He hit me as I shot him with a shotgun and I ran passed him and went to the lever on the stairs. Turned around and lugged a grenade at him to stun him and pulled the lever. He got hit by the trap and died. =D

There are so many upgrades though. I am having a hard time figuring out what to upgrade. So far it just feels like it's not gonna be possible to max yourself out by the end of the game. lol
I'm upgrading ammo and bolt capacity and melee just in case!

Lucent

got it, forgot about that one, those guys playing in the review totally ignored it and didn't even talk about what it meant, i found that strange maybe they had just started playing..

I'm upgrading ammo and bolt capacity and melee just in case!

Sounds like the thing to do besides upgrading damage and stuff maybe. Adding 10 health seems like a lame upgrade. lol. I generally try to level my characters up to hit hard and stuff so they don't need health. At least in games like this.

Sounds like the thing to do besides upgrading damage and stuff maybe. Adding 10 health seems like a lame upgrade. lol. I generally try to level my characters up to hit hard and stuff so they don't need health. At least in games like this.
Same here, hit hard and give mode chances to hit!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Sorry for asking a question which has probably been asked 100 times in the thread but, any word on the PS4 version?

Also for those that have played it, what game would you most liken it to?

Lucent

Same here, hit hard and give mode chances to hit!

Sebastian is dumb. Why didn't he keep the
chainsaw?
lol.

Sorry for asking a question which has probably been asked 100 times in the thread but, any word on the PS4 version?

Also for those that have played it, what game would you most liken it to?

PS4 version is pretty nice. I think it looks really awesome in some places, while other places not so much. Some areas outside are a little rough and I think all the fog effects might be causing the frame rate to drop a bit, but interiors looks great and are smoother.

It really feels like TLoU and RE4 in ways. RE4 mostly in the content I've seen so far. TLoU because of the way stealth works and the resource management and upgrades.

Blowing heads off feels, looks, and sounds amazing though. They really nailed that part. lol

chainsaw?
lol.

PS4 version is pretty nice. I think it looks really awesome in some places, while other places not so much. Some areas outside are a little rough and I think all the fog effects might be causing the frame rate to drop a bit, but interiors looks great and are smoother.

It really feels like TLoU and RE4 in ways. RE4 mostly in the content I've seen so far. TLoU because of the way stealth works and the resource management and upgrades.

Blowing heads off feels, looks, and sounds amazing though. They really nailed that part. lol
If there is a sequel that better be the main weapon!!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
chainsaw?
lol.

Thanks. I'm buying a game today and I can't decide between this and Alien. I like TEW's style of survival horror more but I'm an super-ultra-hardcore Alien fan. Not an easy choice, them TLOU/RE4 comparisons are making it even more difficult.

KyleCross

I have a problem, GAF.

I'm a chicken.

A huge fucking chicken. I actually haven't played many straight up horror games, they're... too much for me. I've been really excited for The Evil Within as I loved Resident Evil 4 and I've been okay with what's been shown in gameplay demos and trailers. But after spending some time watching actual footage of other people playing it... my heart is racing just watching it, I honestly don't think I can handle actually playing this game.

I have it preordered, I'm suppose to pick it up today... I know this is a good game, I just don't know if I'm good enough to take it on yet...

Helmholtz

I have a problem, GAF.

I'm a chicken.

A huge fucking chicken. I actually haven't played many straight up horror games, they're... too much for me. I've been really excited for The Evil Within as I loved Resident Evil 4 and I've been okay with what's been shown in gameplay demos and trailers. But after spending some time watching actual footage of other people playing it... my heart is racing just watching it, I honestly don't think I can handle actually playing this game.

I have it preordered, I'm suppose to pick it up today... I know this is a good game, I just don't know if I'm good enough to take it on yet...
Maybe just play it with the lights on and volume lowered a bit?
I know that's sacrilege for a lot of horror fans, but if that's what it takes for you to be able to play the game then so be it.
If you have someone who can watch you play it/take turns with you that makes it even easier. I've really enjoyed playing horror games like that. The games are still scary, but having someone beside you make it much more bearable.

Top Bottom