• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The game is absolutely gorgeous, but the framerate dips on PS4, even during the quiet moments, are a real bummer

derFeef

Steam negativity, while often justified, is most of the time really exaggerated. A lot of people get pissed over technical faults, which needs to get pointed out of course, but unfairly slaps the game as a whole because of that.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Steam negativity, while often justified, is most of the time really exaggerated. A lot of people get pissed over technical faults, which needs to get pointed out of course, but unfairly slaps the game as a whole because of that.

While this is true, I swear there's something up here. Enhanced Steam tells me Evil Within right now has 72% positive reviews and 28% negative reviews, but literally all the positive reviews have been thumbs downed so they don't appear for pages and all the thumbs down reviews are taking up the top 20 or something reviews.

This is also in the top review of the game right now:

Good:
+ The Game doesnt need the surreal System Requirements shown on the Steam Storepage. Whoever put em there was probably drunk.
+ Controls are easy to use and understand
+ Waterreflections and Lighteffects look good, the Fire and Cutscenes as well.
+ Good Voiceacting.

Neutral:
● You can fix the FPS and Aspect Ration problem, but you have to enter the required Console Commands everytime after starting the Game.
● Singleplayer
● Controller Support
● 31 GB download

Bad:
- By the Graphics Engine you can tell that The Evil Within was primarily developed for weak chested Gaming Consoles, even if they tell you otherwise.
- Ai is just plain dumb.
- There are a few Glitches and hideous progamming failures. (Enemies attacking walls, missing Textures, disappearing Items.)
- Its linear and boring after a short Time, fails to scare the Player.
- RPG features in a horror Game? Seriously?

The Pros and Neutral are literally all tech stuff or read almost like information of game features/details, the bad stuff I don't even agree with at all and makes it sound like a completely different game from what I'm playing.

TheTurboFD

Been taking screenshots more than playing o_O

15347838217_a9afcfb268_h.jpg

I'm enjoying this way more than I thought I would. It's a messier RE4 with stealth and more open environments.

Sooo are the majority of people playing it on PS4/X1 or PC? I just checked the Steam store and holy hell, negative reviews everywhere.

Most of those reviews have to do with the 30 fps lock and the black bars, not the game itself. It's a pretty awful port.

Gurish

Playing it on PS4, the opening cut scene made me think i ordered the PS3 version by mistake, looked pretty bad visually, but surprisingly the in-game graphics look so much better, I don't know why some people are disappointed by the visuals, it looks great! like a slasher film, really loves the art and effects that give this game such a unique look and an amazing atmosphere!

Dusk Golem

I'm enjoying this way more than I thought I would. It's a messier RE4 with stealth and more open environments.

Most of those reviews have to do with the 30 fps lock and the black bars, not the game itself. It's a pretty awful port.

I really don't understand, how is the PC port awful? The black borders are literally in every version of the game, that has nothing to do with the port. If anything, I think the port is very good. It's running perfectly fine for me, no crashes, no frame drops, super fast load times, and it looks extremely pretty. I don't even have that powerful a machine AND an AMD graphics card, but the game is running flawless for me. And then the reviews describe the game and it doesn't even sound like the game I'm actually playing.

Basically, I'm just very confused. From my experience, this is actually one of the better PC ports I've played, it's substantially better in many ways to what I've played and seen of the console version of the game.

JimPanzer

Been taking screenshots more than playing o_O

15347838217_a9afcfb268_h.jpg

which platform are those from? looks really good!
can't wait to dive into this, will be home from university in about 2 hours, just has to get dark then, which will probably take 3-4 more hours. Here's hoping for some rain tonight :)

Dusk Golem

can't wait to dive into this, will be home from university in about 2 hours, just has to get dark then, which will probably take 3-4 more hours. Here's hoping for some rain tonight :)

Those would be from the PC version of the game, as on PC you can get free camera mode with the debug options.

-MD-

Gotta be PC.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a fool proof way of seeing the
invisible buddies?

Feindflug

Finally my LE PC copy arrived! Hopefully my i5 2500 & gtx 670 will be good enough. :p

BTW all the impressions made me even more curious about the game, can't wait to start this later today.

I really don't understand, how is the PC port awful? The black borders are literally in every version of the game, that has nothing to do with the port. If anything, I think the port is very good. It's running perfectly fine for me, no crashes, no frame drops, super fast load times, and it looks extremely pretty. I don't even have that powerful a machine AND an AMD graphics card, but the game is running flawless for me. And then the reviews describe the game and it doesn't even sound like the game I'm actually playing.

Basically, I'm just very confused. From my experience, this is actually one of the better PC ports I've played, it's substantially better in many ways to what I've played and seen of the console version of the game.

Just because it runs better than the console versions does not make it a good port. The 30 fps lock and forced aspect ratio are problems.

Dusk Golem

Just because it runs better than the console versions does not make it a good port. The 30 fps lock and forced aspect ratio are problems.

I've been running it 60fps no problem.

Off topic of that, but this result from trying to get a headshot on an enemy made me chuckle:

3D672F65AAD666CFA027ABE4B626886473D49DAF

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having a hard time articulating why I'm not really enjoying the time I've spent with this game so far. This is a broad complaint: it isn't committing to anything. Like, the constant barrage of "chapter end" screens after one or two rooms might seem like a trivial problem, but the way it's affecting the tone of the game is actually kind of huge for me. I can't get my foot in the door, you know? It's like I'm looking through a window at a much better game, but it's kind of obscured and I can't hear it properly.

I'm having a hard time articulating why I'm not really enjoying the time I've spent with this game so far. This is a broad complaint: it isn't committing to anything. Like, the constant barrage of "chapter end" screens after one or two rooms might seem like a trivial problem, but the way it's affecting the tone of the game is actually kind of huge for me. I can't get my foot in the door, you know? It's like I'm looking through a window at a much better game, but it's kind of obscured and I can't hear it properly.

I understand what you mean, I think I would enjoy this more if I hadn't just finished playing Alien: Isolation. I know these are two entirely different games, but Alien has sort of made this game look a little goofy in comparison to the tone and atmosphere it set.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I understand what you mean, I think I would enjoy this more if I hadn't just finished playing Alien: Isolation. I know these are two entirely different games, but Alien has sort of made this game look a little goofy in comparison to the tone and atmosphere it set.

I wasn't going to mention it, but yeah, the direct comparison is doing this game no favours. :(

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Thanks. I'm buying a game today and I can't decide between this and Alien. I like TEW's style of survival horror more but I'm an super-ultra-hardcore Alien fan. Not an easy choice, them TLOU/RE4 comparisons are making it even more difficult.

Well my local didn't have Alien so my decision was easy in the end! Any general survival tips before I start?

Also my apologies for quoting myself.

JoeFenix

This game has some of the best art direction I've seen in years, the environments and overall atmosphere are just fantastic. Naoki Katakai is a master!

Having a blast with TEW overall, every encounter and scenario feels hand crafted and thought out, this is a total Mikami game in terms of pacing. No filler, never a dull moment.

My only complaints are technical in nature, framerate drops, texture pop-in, weird animation glitches on both Sebastian and on enemies. It feels a tad rough at times but it never gets in the way of gameplay.

It's a shame they couldn't polish it to a mirror sheen but I think the choice of engine had a ton to do with all these issues. Thankfully, Even with those issues the game still feels great where it counts, combat has a nice flow to it, headshots are pure bliss, level design is open enough to allow you room to experiment with traps and different tactics.

Story is interesting so far and I LOVE all the references to past Mikami games, 6 chapters in and I've seen a TON of nods to his previous stuff. Fans will definitely get a kick out of some of this stuff!

Music is really well done too, it's not meant to be memorable or listened to outside the game but it really elevates the tension and intensity during encounters.

This game is just rad, there's some slight jank and a lack of polish but I can't help absolutely loving it.

Maybe the release of Alien: Isolation exaggerates the effect to a certain degree. That game looks astonishing and performs great even on older hardware, and scales great. Even SLI-performance was great at release.

But when it comes to TEW, it barely works (stuttering, pop-ins) and can't hold a steady 30fps with a rig that handles Alien @ 144fps at absolute max. That's weird considering TEW has black bars, relatively small areas and doesn't look that great either.

So I'd say it's warranted.

Dusk Golem

Gotta bail from this thread, scared of spoilers.

Before that, just please answer me: where do I get map 1?

You mean map fragment 1?

I haven't found it yet, but I know where it comes before of. It's 100% certainly somewhere before the area right after the lake in chapter 2 (where you can take a right to the house and ahead first encounter bear traps and mine wire traps), because you get map fragment 2 there, and the fragments are found in order progressively.

Lerozz

Off topic of that, but this result from trying to get a headshot on an enemy made me chuckle:

3D672F65AAD666CFA027ABE4B626886473D49DAF

Is this something that happens regularly (as one could see half heads blown off left and right in some video from last week) or do you need an upgraded gun for that ? Played up to Chapter 6 and not once did something similar happen. Sure, I can crit-blast off a whole head but that's it. Just curious if us Europeans were screwed over with a soft-censored version.

Gbraga

You mean map fragment 1?

I haven't found it yet, but I know where it comes before of. It's 100% certainly somewhere before the area right after the lake in chapter 2 (where you can take a right to the house and ahead first encounter bear traps and mine wire traps), because you get map fragment 2 there, and the fragments are found in order progressively.

Yeah, I'm getting all of them starting from 2, but I have no idea of where to find map 1. And I've been exploring as much as possible >_<

Thanks for the answer, bailing now.

This game... THIS GAAAAMMMMMEEEEE

I need to get back from work already @_@

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

I'm shocked to hear that you're running at 60 fps no problem. That's NOT what I'm seeing elsewhere on much MUCH more powerful hardware than you're running. It shouldn't be possible. Are you sure it's not dipping? I don't understand how it could possibly run at a stable 60 on your hardware.

Ledhead

I'll be off to pick up my copy within the hour. Can't wait, I think this game will be right up my alley.

Also, does anyone have any idea as to the game's length roughly?

I'm shocked to hear that you're running at 60 fps no problem. That's NOT what I'm seeing elsewhere on much MUCH more powerful hardware than you're running. It shouldn't be possible. Are you sure it's not dipping? I don't understand how it could possibly run at a stable 60 on your hardware.

I think he mentioned he was playing 720p windowed

It's pacing is spot in to me, different strokes and all..I do get that this isn't a cut and dry tale, it's a nightmare gauntlet meant to unnerve you and make sport of you when you aren't ready for what's next..it's unpredictable for a reason, if you aren't paying attention to the story none of the matters though.

Mupod

gonna focus on upgrading handgun crit and aiming for now I think. I guess matches are going to be in short supply later, and I'm finding them very useful so if I can conserve them via headshots it'll be worth it.

stealth kills prevent revives, correct? I heard otherwise from people who played early demos but I mean, you stab them in the brain. Plus I stealth killed a lot of dudes and none of em got up.

also putting points in stamina seems essential. It's a bit stressful having Sebastian double over to catch his breath like a sumo wrestler who just ran a marathon, while 50 jerks are chasing him with various farm implements.

Montresor

I don't like feeling scared when playing a game so I'm just going to watch my brother play this game. Plus I'm a softie - the old school difficulty would make me super anxious and heighten the terror tenfold. I can't wait until he gets the game so I can enjoy it through him, lol.

Really? It seems that the Xbox One version performs way better because I haven't noticed any slowdowns and I'm in chapter 6 right now.

Yes :(

And nothing is going on just walking around.... How come that no one mentioned it (reviwers ?) It's really bad.

I completed 4 chapters and really like the game but don't know if I'll continue if it still that bad on later levels.

PS4 ver.

Framerate is horrendous in outdoor village areas !!!! :(

Does it get better on later levels/chapters ?

Yes :(

And nothing is going on just walking around.... How come that no one mentioned it (reviwers ?) It's really bad.

I completed 4 chapters and really like the game but don't know if I'll continue if it still that bad on later levels.

people have said that the xbox 1 version is smooth, maybe because the xbox version received a huge day one patch.
Big shame as i was hoping to pick up the ps4 version later on and i don't own a xbox or pc

stealth kills prevent revives, correct? I heard otherwise from people who played early demos but I mean, you stab them in the brain. Plus I stealth killed a lot of dudes and none of em got up.

Need to know this as well.
Wasting matches like a guy with bad food poisoning.

Top Bottom