• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Lucent

I have a problem, GAF.

I'm a chicken.

A huge fucking chicken. I actually haven't played many straight up horror games, they're... too much for me. I've been really excited for The Evil Within as I loved Resident Evil 4 and I've been okay with what's been shown in gameplay demos and trailers. But after spending some time watching actual footage of other people playing it... my heart is racing just watching it, I honestly don't think I can handle actually playing this game.

I have it preordered, I'm suppose to pick it up today... I know this is a good game, I just don't know if I'm good enough to take it on yet...

lol. This games can actually be pretty intense because of how difficult it can be to take on more than one enemy. And your punches are kinda pointless (not sure how much upgrading helps this). The only time the haunted really scare me is when they do something unexpected and surprise me. Like suddenly busting open a door was JUST about to open myself. I find it more to be a fist-pumping type of feeling when I take care of them though. Feels more rewarding to kill these guys than it did the Ganado.

-MD-

I have a problem, GAF.

I'm a chicken.

A huge fucking chicken. I actually haven't played many straight up horror games, they're... too much for me. I've been really excited for The Evil Within as I loved Resident Evil 4 and I've been okay with what's been shown in gameplay demos and trailers. But after spending some time watching actual footage of other people playing it... my heart is racing just watching it, I honestly don't think I can handle actually playing this game.

I have it preordered, I'm suppose to pick it up today... I know this is a good game, I just don't know if I'm good enough to take it on yet...

It has some tense moments, nothing so overly scary that you have to turn the game off though.

Enjoy it.

Feels more rewarding to kill these guys than it did the Ganado.

Agreed.

the beginning is frikin slow

Can't agree here, it sets the game up. I played the 1st chapter twice for testing purposes and enjoyed it just as much the 2nd time. The pacing in the first 4 chapters of the game has been excellent so far.

Sorry for asking a question which has probably been asked 100 times in the thread but, any word on the PS4 version?

Also for those that have played it, what game would you most liken it to?

I'm playing the PS4 version.

-There's a slight delay of texture loading (it's milisecs but you can't unsee) when you reload a level/save/checkpoint. It's actually layers of those before you get the final textures. But as i've said it's milisecs -1 sec max , but you can't unsee.
-Random framerate drops. (About 2-3 times per 30 minutes in the game).

The weird thing is that they are totally Random! you would expect a framerate drop with a lot of stuff on screen but nope i got plenty while for ex. was looking at the cliffs and the sea or when lighting strikes, but their duration is 1-2 secs max.

Other than that it looks totally fine for a cross-gen game and the art direction and atmosphere is really the strongest point of the game

I also found the lighting (shadows, light sources) to be superb

I'm playing the PS4 version.

-There's a slight delay of texture loading (it's milisecs but you can't unsee) when you reload a level/save/checkpoint. It's actually layers of those before you get the final textures. But as i've said it's milisecs -1 sec max , but you can't unsee.
-Random framerate drops. (About 2-3 times per 30 minutes in the game).

The weird thing is that they are totally Random! you would expect a framerate drop with a lot of stuff on screen but nope i got plenty while for ex. was looking at the cliffs and the sea or when lighting strikes, but their duration is 1-2 secs max.

Other than that it looks totally fine for a cross-gen game and the art direction and atmosphere is really the strongest point of the game

I also found the lighting (shadows, light sources) to be superb

thanks for your impressions, just two more questions...
what is the camera like, is it pretty smooth or is it like resi 6?
Is the zoom in aim really every time, i.e only seeing your hands+gun or does is change later on in the game when in wider, more open environments.

Is the zoom in aim really every time, i.e only seeing your hands+gun or does is change later on in the game when in wider moire open environments.

Sorry i haven't played Resi 6, but the camera seems functional.

I'm in the beginning of Ch. 4 and still there's no change ( you still see only your hands). I've noticed that in the hospital-save room the camera changes to behind-the-shoulder.Weird.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
a little tedious, and tonally all over the place, so far

pretty, though

up to chapter four

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is the zoom in aim really every time, i.e only seeing your hands+gun or does is change later on in the game when in wider, more open environments.
The camera is a lot like RE6 with the way it moves and lurches.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
like, when the
world is collapsing in on itself
at the end of the first chapter, you're basicially playing poker with your cards facing backward. any sense of tonal cohesion or dread is thrown out the window. it's just spectacle.

Game is intense as hell in fights. Exactly what I expected coming from RE4 lineage. They definitely don't give you enough ammo to comfortably sit back and pop everything without worrying about your supplies or struggling to stay out of danger.

Lucent

lol so here's a video of me getting caught off guard in Chapter 3. It's hardly a spoiler since it's just me in a room hiding under a bed and then encountering a couple of haunted. But I did not expect what happened and the mic on my headset (which I forgot was on my headset cuz it was in the up position) picked up my "oh shit!" lol.

Also sorry for it being a facebook video and therefore lower quality. I just wanted to upload it fast.

EDIT: Hit the HD button after you hit play if you don't want it to look so blurry.

ugoo18

I suddenly have the urge to play this game for some reason lol.

I'm not that much into survival horror, the last survival horror game i played was ZombiU and the next one i'll play when i have some free time is Alien Isolation.

I wouldn't say i get easily scared necessarily at least if i'm expecting it but if i'm caught unaware then i have had moments where i'd visibly be startled in games that you would call survival horror lol, notably in the recent Dark Soul 2 DLC 3 an enemy popped up from around the corner and startled me into swearing.

With that in mind how is The Evil Within for those who have played it?

Something you'd recommend me to buy and try when i have time or to pass on either till a price drop or just pass completely?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
First Mikami game?

no. his name is attached to some of my favourite games.

I generally really like this sort of game. Shadows of the Damned, for example, really impressed me.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Have beaten Chapter 6, been taking my time and exploring everything, total play time so far is under 7 hours.

I'm loving it. I knew I was going to like it once I played the demo at PAX Prime, but I am absolutely loving it, I would say pacing is done extremely well.

PC version is great, load times are 2-4 seconds, have had no frame rate hitches, texture pop-in does exist but it's very miniscule (mostly has happened in the first chapter cutscenes and a certain cutscene in chapter 6 for me so far).

There's so much I want to say, but many have said it. I will say if this game is in your 'strike zone', it really is itching some scratches that most newer games have not done for me in years

I want to play more, but I should rest and then get to marathoning the rest of it all tomorrow.

-MD-

lol so here's a video of me getting caught off guard in Chapter 3. It's hardly a spoiler since it's just me in a room hiding under a bed and then encountering a couple of haunted. But I did not expect what happened and the mic on my headset (which I forgot was on my headset cuz it was in the up position) picked up my "oh shit!" lol.

Lol. I haven't had a door kicked in on me yet.

Anybody like this better than resident evil 4?

I just replayed RE4 for the 3rd time last week and yes, I'm liking this game a lot more. I also wonder if the folks that said this was "just like re4" have ever even played RE4.

Prodigal

Banned
How are the kb/m controls for this? I have a controller but I was just curious if they were decent. I'm a lot better at scoring headshots with a mouse!

Lucent

Lol. I haven't had a door kicked in on me yet.

lol that has been the only time it happened that way. I was upset and I punched that old lady to the ground and tossed a match on her. I laughed because it really sounded like an old lady screaming while she burned.

I'm...I'm a sane person I swear. =(

Have beaten Chapter 6, been taking my time and exploring everything, total play time so far is under 7 hours.

I'm loving it. I knew I was going to like it once I played the demo at PAX Prime, but I am absolutely loving it, I would say pacing is done extremely well.

PC version is great, load times are 2-4 seconds, have had no frame rate hitches, texture pop-in does exist but it's very miniscule (mostly has happened in the first chapter cutscenes and a certain cutscene in chapter 6 for me so far).

There's so much I want to say, but many have said it. I will say if this game is in your 'strike zone', it really is itching some scratches that most newer games have not done for me in years

I want to play more, but I should rest and then get to marathoning the rest of it all tomorrow.

What's your system, if you don't mind me asking? Did you unlock the framerate?

Dusk Golem

Also, I am SUPER suspicious of those Map Fragment pieces. Maybe it doesn't lead to anything, but the map fragments are seriously the most well hidden collectible, there's more map fragments than any other collectible, and I have no idea what they're leading up to accomplishing. I know that they're forming a map of Krimson City in the hub save area, but why? They're also the only collectible that changes something about the game.

I feel like they're linked to some secret and I just can't shake it. It's probably going to be nothing, but yai. I've done pretty decent at collecting them, but there are a few I've missed somewhere.

Dusk Golem

What's your system? Did you unlock the framerate?

60 fps, max settings, 720p windowed mode (was streaming and wanted to see the chat). System has 2 GB VRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7700, i7. Haven't messed with black borders. Have had no hitches at all in my seven hours of play, no crashes, frame dips, ?& has had super short loading times.

Lucent

Also, I am SUPER suspicious of those Map Fragment pieces. Maybe it doesn't lead to anything, but the map fragments are seriously the most well hidden collectible, there's more map fragments than any other collectible, and I have no idea what they're leading up to accomplishing. I know that they're forming a map of Krimson City in the hub save area, but why? They're also the only collectible that changes something about the game.

I feel like they're linked to some secret and I just can't shake it. It's probably going to be nothing, but yai. I've done pretty decent at collecting them, but there are a few I've missed somewhere.

I beat the first 3 chapters and so far I haven't found any. I really wonder what they're for though. I really wanna believe that when you find them all it'll open up a hidden chapter or something for you to play. Just something awesome.

Dusk Golem

I beat the first 3 chapters and so far I haven't found any. I really wonder what they're for though. I really wanna believe that when you find them all it'll open up a hidden chapter or something for you to play. Just something awesome.

I've missed three so far, I've been really exploring though. I have Map Fragment 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13 so far. I think I know where 1 and 6 are though when I get to New Game+. There's 28 total, and all I know is that they're forming a map in the back office room of the safe house. I

I'm also SUPER suspicious because that very room was the only room locked off from play in the safe area in the demo. I was actually surprised when I saw it open in the regular game since the area was locked off in the demo. I mean, why lock it off in the demo? And what do the map fragments do? I know they form a map, but why are we forming a map in the safe room?

Lucent

Please tell me the black bars/letterboxing eventually goes away. Because it's pissing me the fuck off.

Why would you think they go away? They're there for good unless you're on PC and use a console command or something to remove them.

I personally stop noticing them after a bit. It's not the first game to use them. Dragon's Dogma and RE4 did it. Though I'll admit it was harder this time because they're thicker than the bars in those games it seems.

But the game has had them forever and you would've had to only watch one video to know that ahead of time.

I've missed three so far, I've been really exploring though. I have Map Fragment 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13 so far. I think I know where 1 and 6 are though when I get to New Game+. There's 28 total, and all I know is that they're forming a map in the back office room of the safe house. I

I'm also SUPER suspicious because that very room was the only room locked off from play in the safe area in the demo. I was actually surprised when I saw it open in the regular game since the area was locked off in the demo. I mean, why lock it off in the demo? And what do the map fragments do? I know they form a map, but why are we forming a map in the safe room?

There's also a door with that red "no" symbol that is locked somewhere. And I'm wondering what the other 3 cells contain if anything.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Why would you think they go away? They're there for good unless you're on PC and use a console command or something to remove them.

I personally stop noticing them after a bit. It's not the first game to use them. Dragon's Dogma and RE4 did it. Though I'll admit it was harder this time because they're thicker than the bars in those games it seems.

But the game has had them forever and you would've had to only watch one video to know that ahead of time.
Yeah, the PC solution isn't even viable either.

KyleCross

So considering this game has mandatory boss fights ammo has to be fairly more common than I'm lead to believe, right? Or if you're a terrible shot are you literally stuck like the oldschool REs?

Lucent

So considering this game has mandatory boss fights ammo has to be fairly more common than I'm lead to believe, right? Or if you're a terrible shot are you literally stuck like the oldschool REs?

Slight spoiler but the boss you fight in chapter
can be taken out by
using a trap located in a house.
So so far at least on that chapter you can take the boss out without using any ammo. Just a pain to time though. Especially when you
have more enemies chasing you too while he's coming.

I dunno if that'll always be the case though.

-MD-

I've found 2 in the 4 chapters I've played through.

Well I've stealth killed more than have my total kills and I've been stocked with ammo the whole time. But I'm searching every room and smashing every crate too. Ammo is definitely nothing like RE4 though, in RE4 I'd roll around with like 40 shotgun shells and 200 TMP rounds at all times. In this game It's like 10-15 pistol rounds and 4-6 shotgun shells. Mind you I'm only on chapter 5.

I consider myself a good player though, I imagine an average gamer that's not utilizing stealth, not taking advantage of the melee weapons or burning bodies and missing a healthy number of shots are in pretty tight spots. I haven't been there myself though.

Dusk Golem

Somewhere in the middle. Each boss encounter is slightly different, but I've found most bosses have several different strategies you could beat/pass them with. That's not to say they're easy, I'm at chapter 6 right now, so far I've encountered five boss battles so far. All of them so far have had more than one way to fight against them (one a bit less so than the others though), and on that note I will mention that one of the boss fights has actually been one of my favorite parts of the game so far. That boss for me was amazing, one of them was rather great, and the other three are good too.

Mendrox

Well this is the worst case for you then. I didn't have any Ammo at the Chapter 5 Boss other than finding about 6 shots with my pistole. Had to try many times to kick the bosses ass finally by abusing running and well the area like you are supposed to do. But no - nothing will spawn for you other than the things which are already in the area.

Dusk Golem

I've found 2 in the 4 chapters I've played through.

I must explore more than most people. I've missed a few but I've found most of them so far, but I have a disproportionately large number of them to every other person I have talked too about the map fragments.

I am probably going to be disappointing, but I can't stop shaking the feeling they're linked to some secret with how difficult they are to find and how many there are, how unexplained they are, and the fact they're forming a map in the safe room.

-MD-

Somewhere in the middle. Each boss encounter is slightly different, but I've found most bosses have several different strategies you could beat/pass them with. That's not to say they're easy, I'm at chapter 6 right now, so far I've encountered five boss battles so far. All of them so far have had more than one way to fight against them (one a bit less so than the others though), and on that note I will mention that one of the boss fights has actually been one of my favorite parts of the game so far. That boss for me was amazing, one of them was rather great, and the other three are good too.

Are you counting stuff like the
dr's brother
as a boss battle? Or are there like 5 more bosses waiting for me in the next couple chapters lol.

I must explore more than most people.

I'm exploring a lot but I'm not actively looking in every single corner for map fragments, they're really tough to see. I'm also trying to kinda keep the pace for my first playthrough. I might look a little harder when I replay the game depending on what the reward for collecting them all is.

The camera is a lot like RE6 with the way it moves and lurches.

that bad eh, i'm so torn with this game.
It sounds like exactly my sort of game but dodgy camera, black border and frame-rate issues are telling me i should hold on for a few weeks til it's on sale.

Dusk Golem

Are you counting stuff like the
dr's brother
as a boss battle?

No I didn't. To list them.

Chapter 3:
The Sadist
Chapter 5:
Re-Bone Laura
Chapter 6:
The Sadist (Revivisted)
Chapter 6:
The Two Guardians (troll things in the cemetery)
Chapter 6:
That giant dog thing you fight at the end of the chapter.

Chapter 6 had a disproportionately high number of boss fights. It was also the longest chapter so far, though.

Dusk Golem

I'm not gonna quote that but wow chapter 6 is boss heavy lol.

Probably for the best. It was a good chapter, 5 and 6 have been my favorite chapters so far, for very different reasons though. They're also both longer than the previous chapters, though chapter 6 is longer than chapter 5.

On Chapter 5, having to make myself stop playing every so often, because I know for a fact that if left to my own devices I would literally not stop playing until I finish the game. <_<

Dusk Golem

Sooo are the majority of people playing it on PS4/X1 or PC? I just checked the Steam store and holy hell, negative reviews everywhere.

PC. There's more positive reviews than negative reviews, I don't have proof but I'm pretty sure a lot of the negative reviews at the top were pushed up by some Steam user group or something. A lot of them have around the exact same number of thumbs up, and that same number have thumbs downed every positive review.

Top Bottom