• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

VinFTW

Gonna have to agree with most of the purists here:

I like everything but:

-Ledge grab... gotta go. Come on now, that's Call of Duty. Skill jumps are a huge part of Halo, if you make it, GG, if not, you fucking suck get better.

-Double jump, nope. I mean, why is this necessary? It's COMPLETELY unnecessary. Sure, it feels more satisfying, but I don't know. I guess if you balance is to it's all the same jumping distance but just pressing twice to feel cool? Still, feels unnecessary.

-Ground pound, meh, if it works, great! But I hope it's not a 1SK ability. Destiny is awful for all the ways you get 1SK'd.

-No fucking sprint. Which I think that rumor confirms you just sprint to do that charge. So that charge might just be a sprint motion w/ a cooldown? That seems cool, but not full-fledged sprint.

That's about it for me.

Other than that, it could really work.

Ledge-grabbing is totally unnecessary, but the rest.... I think I can live with. Obviously we have to see it in action, but I'm not totally against it. Just not completely on board.

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the Halo stream this weekend is the one I won't be watching on my Xbox One?

I need dat 60fps high quality, so watching on PC. Get your shit together, twitch on Xbone.

Jesus, between this and Blizzcon, when will I have time to eat?

Tawpgun

Does H2A have the same input lag CEA had? I'm assuming yes.

^ yea, instead of a person having one terrible ability, now they have all of them. What's the worst that could happen?!
This is pretty much the only thing left unanswered for me.

Did xbone next cloud dedi severs magic fix the coop netcode or is it still gonna be the classic input lag experience?

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the Halo stream this weekend is the one I won't be watching on my Xbox One?

I need dat 60fps high quality, so watching on PC. Get your shit together, twitch on Xbone.

Be like Bryllcream, eat your own arm.

This is pretty much the only thing left unanswered for me.

Did xbone next cloud dedi severs magic fix the coop netcode or is it still gonna be the classic input lag experience?

From my (admittedly limited) understanding, the only way to eliminate the coop input lag would be to completely rewrite the netcode from the ground up, so no. It'll probably be evened out, though, so you won't see one guy with 0 lag and one guy with .5 second lag, it'll be more like .25 for each.

Or something like that.

CyReN

For those with TMCC, can you see achievements when snapped or in the app? Not sure if my situation is isolated. i get a "This game has more achievements than we can show at the moment. Check back later" message. Talked to 1 other and they don't have this issue, may have to re-download over night.

Akai__

Courtesy of Wahrer:

B13PChRCMAAErh-.png:large

Juan

http://www.twitch.tv/lonestarslp

Streaming unfettered access to the game. Come join the chat and ask me your questions, I've got an hour to kill.

Want to play some custom? I'm also on the Master Chief Collection. :)

Send me your GT by PM is you want to.

For those with TMCC, can you see achievements when snapped or in the app? Not sure if my situation is isolated. i get a "This game has more achievements than we can show at the moment. Check back later" message. Talked to 1 other and they don't have this issue, may have to re-download over night.

Some achievements are missing with the Snap view unfortunately, I had the same problem with some of them.

if they missed the jump then they missed the jump. fuck coddling people with hand holdy bullshit.

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, what if making it jump requires grabbing the ledge? Like, if you need to double jump just so then press A at precisely the right time to grab onto the ledge to haul yourself up.

Again, I'm deeply skeptical of ledge grabbing in Halo, but I could see it working.

Maybe.

I've always been okay with sprint. Too long have spartans calmly power-walked during life or death situations.

VvT3fIR.gif

Ledge-grab has always been sort of nice for realism reasons in games but not so much for gameplay. It seems silly that a spartan can't just grab the ledge and pull himself up, then again I like the gameplay without it better because of skill jumps.

As for the rest of it, I'm apprehensive but open minded. Will wait for the beta.

I'm still lost at the transition between the article's release, and the confirmation that there was in fact a closed door hands on. Where was this confirmed?

VinFTW

Some of you don't seem to understand why sprint and SOME of the stuff in the leak is bad for Halo (I said some not all).

A spartan is a super soldier, he should never NOT be aiming his weapon.

If ANY of this stuff makes it so you can't be aiming your weapon and be able to shoot, it should be removed ASAP.

Overdoziz

Banned
Some of you don't seem to understand why sprint and SOME of the stuff in the leak is bad for Halo (I said some not all).

If ANY of this stuff makes it so you can't be aiming your weapon and be able to shoot, it should be removed ASAP.
The "he should have this because he's a super soldier" argument sure is tired.

Super soldier = Aiming weapon at all times.

It all makes sense now.

Welcome back to the fold.

Everybody left.

They'll be back.

:(

Maybe Breggman will let me nom on his arms too. It would help to deal with the incoming kleenex/lotion shortage of Brokevember 2014.

Whatever keeps you strong. Come 11/11 you're gonna need all the strength you can muster to carry me and the rest of BK-GAF in the ranked playlists. I mean List.

Courtesy of Wahrer:

B13PChRCMAAErh-.png:large

Gone but not forgotten. Like chlamydia.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
not armor abilities, Spartan abilities. Totally different
8f70c6ea.gif

Not a killcam, but Spartan Playback Software. Totally different
8f70c6ea.gif

Not weapon loadouts, but weapon sets. Totally different
8f70c6ea.gif

And the worst case scenario is the already four way split for the already decreased population from H2's glory days is split up five ways now with Halo 5 sucks up the population and you left with boosters and fracas host for H2 customs
8f70c6ea.gif
8f70c6ea.gif

The thing is, while I agree with you about sprint, you also can't shoot while you're meleeing or throwing a grenade. You'd be eliminating 2/3 of the trinity :p

VinFTW

Then fuck it, let's go back to running around like chickens with our heads cut off and instant-respawning only to sprint back into the match and die again!

Sounds about right. By the logic in here, while we're at it, fuck lore, get rid of the motion tracker.

Holy fuck guys, there IS a middle ground here. Call of Halo: Duty Chief or Halo 5: Halo 2 Purist edition aren't the ONLY fucking options.

Agreed heartily with the last bit.

I have no idea what the first two paragraphs are about XD

It was directed at people drive-by posting and not adding anything to the discussion, regardless of being right or wrong.

Then fuck it, let's go back to running around like chickens with our heads cut off and instant-respawning only to sprint back into the match and die again!

Sounds about right. By the logic in here, while we're at it, fuck lore, get rid of the motion tracker.

Holy fuck guys, there IS a middle ground here. Call of Halo: Duty Chief or Halo 5: Halo 2 Purist edition aren't the ONLY fucking options.

Agreed heartily with the last bit.

I have no idea what the first two paragraphs are about XD

jem0208

Obviously super soldiers must always stroll around the battlefield.

Twitch is lacking on consoles, that's for damn sure. Can't really customize the stream, use chroma key, promote broadcast, etc.

It was directed at people drive-by posting and not adding anything to the discussion, regardless of being right or wrong.

We need Obama for this predicament. He is our only hope.

FatMarshall

Neo Member

What happened to innovating Halo the same way Halo 3 innovated on Halo 2? Forge, Theater, custom game settings, file sharing... the list goes on. One doesn't have to necessarily change core gameplay to innovate on an ancient formula. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Booshka

Obviously super soldiers must always stroll around the battlefield.

Halo has gotten slower and slower with every iteration. Now we are using Sprint to speed it up, instead of just increasing the Base Movement Speed, which is the problem in the first place.

I swear, slowing down Halo over a decade then putting Sprint into the game is like putting a frog into cool water and heating it to a boil, just sit there not realizing that the game is getting worse. Then you defend Sprint because the game got slower.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Even when you build a Halo game to the so called "middle ground" people are going to claim it isn't Halo.

Hell, BigShow won't even say games beyond Halo CE are Halo.

Halo has gotten slower and slower with every iteration. Now we are using Sprint to speed it up, instead of just increasing the Base Movement Speed, which is the problem in the first place.

I swear, slowing down Halo over a decade then putting Sprint into the game is like putting a Frog into cool water and heating it to a boil, just sit there not realizing that the game is getting worse. Then you defend Sprint because the game got slower.

In all fairness, 4 upped the movements speed considerably compared to Reach. So they're moving in the right direction in that respect, at least. I heartily agree that base movement > sprint.

jem0208

I swear, slowing down Halo over a decade then putting Sprint into the game is like putting a frog into cool water and heating it to a boil, just sit there not realizing that the game is getting worse. Then you defend Sprint because the game got slower.

I was just kidding btw.

I'm all for upping the movement speed, I'm not entirely against sprint though.

Top Bottom