• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Defect

That leak makes me want to puke.

"Fair and equal starts
because everyone has AA's"

Why would they add a climbing animation? Double jump AND staying midair like a jetpack is also stupid. I don't mind evading all that much. Groundpound/smash thing, just why? And good ole sprint returns and you can now charge at people to double melee them, great.

Hopefully it isn't real.
But it probably is.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
After looking over the top 10, I can say that I don't completely hate it the way I hated the others. Hang em high is to low. But the rest is okay.

Halofest Launch live stream is going to be Monday 11 PM EST - 12 PM EST. Halo 5 will be shown off during that period, along with other things such has Halo Nightfall part 1.
Perfect. I have classes late on Monday so I thought I was going to miss the live stream. Looks like I'll be safe!

Watching halo ce makes me think how this would've been a great opportunity for ce forge. Simple pallete, low detail/texture, with ce's colors/environments. H2a forge looks pretty good though.
I'd love to try the Rocket with 2 shots on Chill Out instead of 4, among many other things.
From the Polygon review:

Someone from the CE brigade better have a shit ton of pitchforks handy.
Must be a Halo 3 scrub.
My counter to that is first of all, anyone can boost, get boosted, or buy a 50. So honestly(much like K/D) rank is not really a reliable way to "measure" yourself. I can go in with a full team and stomp on random teams to boost my K/D & i can also get my rank boosted by playing with insanely good people, or I can just buy a 50.
But what bozo is going to play on a paid 50? Doesn't happen, but even if it does and they get spanked, then so what? The ranking system does its job and the people who beat them got rewarded more for it, no?

Visual ranking system = justice. And while on the discussion of ranks, lol at elitist Halo 2 and Halo 3 people complaining about their ranking system
zmm8oXO.png

"Fair and equal starts

Why would they add a climbing animation? Double jump AND staying midair like a jetpack is also stupid. I don't mind evading all that much. Groundpound/smash thing, just why? And good ole sprint returns and you can now charge at people to double melee them, great.

Hopefully it isn't real.
But it probably is.

I'd actually argue that the biggest problem (but not the only problem, put down the pitchforks) with AAs is that not everybody had the same one. It made approaching a gunfight an entirely unpredictable experience, and greatly lowered the skill gap. Even standardizing AAs is a huge step in the right direction, especially if they go with the thruster pack, which was easily the best of the bunch.

And the groundpound could be awesome.

top 10 ranking is out, this gives me some serious headache, especially what is listed in the top 5

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/03/ranking-every-halo-map-ever-made-110-86?page=5
Having both Blood Gulch and Coagulation taking 2 separate spots in the top 10 is seriously laughable. They should either pick one or the other, or put them together in the same spot. Also, I know a lot of people enjoyed Sidewinder too, but I personally don't find it to be top 10 material out of all the other maps in the series. Beaver Creek? Meh - middle tier imo W T H I G N? Midship, Zanzibar, Blood Gulch, Hang'em High and Lockout, are the only 5 maps from the list that at least could be argued that they should be in the top 10.

I'd probably categorize the maps using the following scale (easier to place maps without causing too much fan outrage with maps in a specific spot over an equally well designed map:
Elite -> Top Tier -> High Quality Middle Tier -> Middle Tier -> Low tier -> Bottom

Elite:
Headlong, Lockout, Sanctuary, Blood Gulch/Coagulation, Hang'em High, Zanzibar, Midship, Valhalla

Top Tier:
The Pit, Chill Out, Prisoner, Ivory Tower, Warlock/Wizard, Colossus, Terminal, Heretic

High Quality Middle Tier:
Relic, Turf, Damnation, Guardian, Waterworks, Beaver Creek, Ascension, Citadel, Containment, Sidewinder

Middle Tier:
Countdown, Construct, Standoff, Burial Mounds, Elongation/Longest, Boarding Action, Foundation, Rat's Nest, Derelict, Narrows

Low Tier:
Rate Race, Avalanche, High Ground, Solace, Power House, Haven, Exile, Abandon, Sword Base
teehee

Bottom:
Everything else

I know I'm missing a decent map here and there, but for the sake of not listing every map ever made, I stopped. Plus I've never played anything on PC.

Raide

Looked back a few pages. I kinda thought Halo would go a little more towards the mobility options like Titanfall. Glad MCC people get access and check out the beta. Interesting to see where 343 take this.

Get back to roots, bring back the massive community with solid gameplay and content. Make Forge damn good and help it add to the lengthening of the community.

Looked back a few pages. I kinda thought Halo would go a little more towards the mobility options like Titanfall. Glad MCC people get access and check out the beta. Interesting to see where 343 take this.

Get back to roots, bring back the massive community with solid gameplay and content. Make Forge damn good and help it add to the lengthening of the community.

As long as gunplay/strafing/maneuvering is still a rewarding mix of risk vs. reward with good balance and good spawns I think extra mobility options could be interesting. It's an absolute must to have map design to accommodate it properly.

The new midship looks more stretched out which might be an indication that new mobility is coming:

gamescom-2014-halo-5-guardians-multiplayer-beta-map-1-secrets-7058cd270921424283665eee47900ec7-973e067ea99a42cc96b4c1356a637764.jpg

Ramirez

"Fair and equal starts

Hopefully it isn't real.
But it probably is.

This was obvious from the get go. They've been dancing around abilities by saying "no AAs", lol. Just different terminology and implementation, same ole shit.

But we have MCC, so it doesn't really matter to me.

From the Polygon review:

I'm guessing that I'm probably part of the CE brigade but I have no pitchfork to raise. I don't think anyone ever argued that CE was balanced. Three shots with the pistol will show anyone the truth. But it was fun and I was always disappointed that the pistol was turned to such shit in future games.

jem0208

As long as gunplay/strafing/maneuvering is still a rewarding mix of risk vs. reward with good balance and good spawns I think extra mobility options could be interesting. It's an absolute must to have map design to accommodate it properly.

The new midship looks more stretched out which might be an indication that new mobility is coming:

gamescom-2014-halo-5-guardians-multiplayer-beta-map-1-secrets-7058cd270921424283665eee47900ec7-973e067ea99a42cc96b4c1356a637764.jpg

We have no idea what the scale is like here though.

Booshka

I'm guessing that I'm probably part of the CE brigade but I have no pitchfork to raise. I don't think anyone ever argued that CE was balanced. Three shots with the pistol will show anyone the truth. But it was fun and I was always disappointed that the pistol was turned to such shit in future games.

You have to land the shots though, majority of Pistol fights are 5-7 shots, if not more; 3 shots are rare. All of the other weapons are powerful too, sans Needler. Without the powerful Pistol, Rockets and Snipers would absolutely dominate. Plasma Rifle, Shotgun, and even the AR and Plasma Pistol can do very well against a Pistol in close ranges. It's just that the Pistol has the most potential for kills in any situation, but it takes a ton of skill to pull off those quick kills, especially against good players.

From the Polygon review:

scrub you polygon, how dare you question my trusty pistol!

no but for real, if they had put some thoughts into CEs balance they would figure out why its not broken
statements like this usually come from people that either havent played or just sporadically played CE
i expect this perspective to get less and less common among Halo fans since they now have a chance to make up their minds in a proper multiplayer :)

edit:
could have not said it any better
You have to land the shots though, majority of Pistol fights are 5-7 shots, if not more; 3 shots are rare. All of the other weapons are powerful too, sans Needler. Without the powerful Pistol, Rockets and Snipers would absolutely dominate. Plasma Rifle, Shotgun, and even the AR and Plasma Pistol can do very well against a Pistol in close ranges. It's just that the Pistol has the most potential for kills in any situation, but it takes a ton of skill to pull off those quick kills, especially against good players.

Booshka

I wonder how people would feel about CE's weapon balance if the Pistol was just reskinned as a Rifle. I bet less people would complain about imbalance.

I wonder how people would feel about CE's weapon balance if the Pistol was just reskinned as a Rifle. I bet less people would complain about imbalance.

See my Avatar. Spaceman Spiff can rock it pretty good. Pretty sure everyone would complain less if Master Chief was Spaceman Spiff.

;)

I agree though..I always saw it as a rifle type weapon but being a bad ass futuristic pistol.

Had Halo TMCC preloaded since time immemorial.

Is there a way to preload the patch or does it do that automatically?

It should. Check the size of the file, it ought to be somewhere around 59 gigs. If it's not, you can force it by redownloading the base game.

Actually, even though I know the pistol wasn't really unbalanced per se, I would be a lot more comfortable if it was a rifle, or even a more visually impressive pistol. As is, tit's just... stubby.

It was never the weapon skin which made me feel that but the killing power itself, it always out shined every other weapon apart from the sniper and rockets.

I noticed in a stream that Halo 2 has instant audio swapping in addition to the graphics swapping.

I remember that HCEA for 360 did not instantly swap the audio, it was a menu option (right?). Does H:CEA in the MCC now include instant audio swap as well?

There was another map that was showed that looked look it will take advantage of the mobility options. Check the first seven pics .http://teambeyond.net/halo-5-guardians-new-images/

image_41927_fit_940.jpg

image_41911_fit_940.jpg

Booshka

See my Avatar. Spaceman Spiff can rock it pretty good. Pretty sure everyone would complain less if Master Chief was Spaceman Spiff.

;)

I agree though..I always saw it as a rifle type weapon but being a bad ass futuristic pistol.

Ya it didnt bother me either, it's 500 some odd years in the future, I sure as shit would prefer the best weapon to be a Pistol, most convenient and easiest to handle.

Hell it even says in the Halo CE manual that the rounds are semi-armor piercing and highly explosive rounds. Checks out to me.

Madness

I don't think I saw a single person pull off a 3sk yesterday in the CE matches I watched. Most were hitting the body, missing etc. It's something that takes skill and timing to learn. And even then, because the other player is given things like better movement and strafe speed, he can avoid the shots much better as well, not to mention he's shooting back etc.

Sephzilla

For real. I love PC Sidewinder so much. Has it been said one way or another which verison is in the MCC? Hopefully the two-way version since the port is based on PC version.

Can someone with a review copy of MCC confirm whether or not Sidewinder is using the one way or two way teleporter above the base? I'd agree with Silly that it's likely the two way version since this is the PC build.

Can someone with a review copy of MCC confirm whether or not Sidewinder is using the one way or two way teleporter above the base? I'd agree with Silly that it's likely the two way version since this is the PC build.
The maps for H:CE is the PC build so all the multiplayer maps reflect that.

Sephzilla

Speaking entirely hypothetically - if Halo 5 has as quick of a population dropoff as Halo 4 had, do you think 343 will finally give up trying to change up Halo?

Totally unrelated - I have a hard time validating complaints about framerate dips in MCC. It's like "oh no, the game is dipping to a framerate that still exceeds what the original versions ever reached".

VinFTW

Speaking entirely hypothetically - if Halo 5 has as quick of a population dropoff as Halo 4 had, do you think 343 will finally give up trying to change up Halo?

I think it'll be a major hit, but if that did happen, then yeah, I think they would. Either that or it would be given to somebody else (or dad).

Ragnarok, I do agree with you, but those people don't know shit about map-control and weapon control. We do... and it's somewhat focused on us. This is just them trying out new movement options for spartans with what seems like base Halo gameplay (everything but the movement).

Let's just check it out, but keep the pitch-fork in hand just in case.

Booshka

>Implying the H3 BR was good

It was intentionally designed to be random because Bungie didn't like what the BR in Halo 2 did to that sandbox. Even still, the H3 BR is still the best overall weapon in the game.

Need to just come to terms that Halo is a game best played with mid-range precision based weaponry.

It was never the weapon skin which made me feel that but the killing power itself, it always out shined every other weapon apart from the sniper and rockets.
Still waiting for someone to tell me when they'd drop a BR in Halo 2/3/4 or a DMR in Reach. I can tell you scenarios where it's beneficial to drop a Pistol in CE though, yet CE has the "broken sandbox."

Markza in Gears Judgment kills in three shots and IIRC one single headshot, but I didn't see anyone complaining about that. Why? Because it was a rifle that took skill to land those shots, so it had a potentially fast kill time with an average kill time that's higher.

EDIT:
Ya it didnt bother me either, it's 500 some odd years in the future, I sure as shit would prefer the best weapon to be a Pistol, most convenient and easiest to handle.

Hell it even says in the Halo CE manual that the rounds are semi-armor piercing and highly explosive rounds. Checks out to me.

DesertFox

Ehhhhhh not sure how I feel about the Halo 5 leaked info. Armor abilities may be gone, but we still have sprint, double jump, thrusters, hover, and ground pound?

I'm a bit skeptical that these changes will be beneficial while returning to the Halo 2-esque arena shooter. Worst case scenario, we have Halo 2 Anniversary and can keep playing new forge maps ad infinitum.

BigShow36

Lets see here...

Slay Faster Than Pistol
Rockets
Sniper
Melee
Shotgun

Slay Slower Than Pistol
PR
PP
Needler
AR

Wow, it almost looks like the starting utility weapon, that "overpowered" pistol, sits squarely in the middle in terms of slaying power. Almost like it's a nice blend between power and utility, where its rarely the preferred weapon in any situation, but it gives the user the ability to excel in any situation with skill.

Almost like it's perfectly balanced.

Ehhhhhh not sure how I feel about the Halo 5 leaked info. Armor abilities may be gone, but we still have sprint, double jump, thrusters, hover, and ground pound?

I'm a bit skeptical that these changes will be beneficial while returning to the Halo 2-esque arena shooter. Worst case scenario, we have Halo 2 Anniversary and can keep playing new forge maps ad infinitum.

not armor abilities, Spartan abilities. Totally different
8f70c6ea.gif

Not a killcam, but Spartan Playback Software. Totally different
8f70c6ea.gif

Not weapon loadouts, but weapon sets. Totally different
8f70c6ea.gif

And the worst case scenario is the already four way split for the already decreased population from H2's glory days is split up five ways now with Halo 5 sucks up the population and you left with boosters and fracas host for H2 customs
8f70c6ea.gif

Impala26

It's the better version. OG Sidewinder had more stalemates when I played with my buddies than even Blood Gultch. Snipers dominate on Sidewinder even more than Blood Gultch, so it works out fine.

Top Bottom