• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Knight Batmobile haters: What would make it satisfactory (w/o removing it)?

On Demand

Banned
I'm happy to enlighten you guys because way too much bullshit about batmobile making a difference is being thrown around. If the game is as pretty and fun as ours will be, who cares? Getting this game to run batmobile was a BITCH. The game is so huge in terms of rendering that it took months to get it to run batmobile at 30fps. The game was 9fps 9 months ago. We only achieved batmobile at 30fps weeks ago. The PS4 couldn't handle batmobile for our game, whatever people, or Sony and Microsoft say. Yes, we have a deal with Microsoft, and yes we don't want people fighting over it, but with all the recent concessions from Microsoft, backing out of batmobile reservations not once, but twice, you're talking about a 1 or 2 fps difference between the two consoles. So yes, locking the batmobile is a conscious decision to keep people bullshiting, but that doesn't seem to have worked in the end. Even if Rocksteady has deals, the dev team members are proud, and want the best performance out of every console out there. What's hard is not getting the game to render at this point, it's making everything else in the game work at the same level of performance we designed from the start for the batmobile. By the amount of content and NPCs in the game, from someone who witnessed optimization for lots of Rocksteady games in the past, this is crazily batmobiled for such a young generation of consoles. This really is about to define a next gen like no other game before. Mordor has next gen Caragor and Graugs, but not batmobile like Arkham Knight does. The proof comes in that game being cross gen. Our producer (Vincent) saying we're bound with batmobiel by the CPU is right, but not entirely. Consider this, they started this game so early for next gen, MS and Sony wanted to push graphics first, so that's what we did. I believe 50% of the batmobile is dedicated to helping the kicking-ass by processing batmobile turrets, and in our case, much like Graugs, baked vehicles. The result is amazing batmobilly, the tank mode and vehicle mode are beyond anything you've seen on the market, and even may surpass Graugs and Caragor. Because of this I think the build is a full 50gigs, filling the bluray to the edge, and nearly half of that is batmobile data.

It took me till the 3rd sentence. lol lol.

10/10.

Take the combat out. I'm all for driving it (especially if those gifs are anything to go by) but I don't like the rockets and machine guns. I think it's more the believability that the targets all just happen to be drones so it's OK to use grenades and shit. I know that in the comics, shows, and movies, the Batmobile has had the same arsenal and more at times, but I think it's the interactiveness of video games that makes it tough to go with in this case

Would you be okay with a completely different approach to combat than what's been shown? I feel similarly that coming to a complete stop to battle seems weird, but ramming cars or having car chase battles would be better for me.

I'm happy to enlighten you guys

Was this a generator, or was it manually done

I just hate the batmobile in general. The idea that a super stealthy guy drives around in the most conspicuous car short of the Oscar Meyer wiener mobile is dumb. At least the bat jet is stealthy.

I think for the purpose of getting around and for crowd-control, it makes sense. He's got the money to spare

I can't comment on how it works because I haven't played it yet, but from a cursory glance I get the sense that the game puts so much stake into this mechanic both as a means of transportation and combat that there will be little to no reason to not use it whenever outside of specific areas. The Batmobile just seems straight up overkill in its current form as it's just another one of those things that's added onto the Arkham formula that just exacerbates its simplicity and makes things big just for the sake of being big. It doesn't seem particularly clever in its implementation.

Of course, that's just die-hard skepticism. If I am right in my assumptions though I could see it being improved a lot more if it was just used for a specific mission, or as a fast travel device.

I agree with the overkill opinion, but ... it fits pretty well. Batman's supposed to be unstoppable and he won't feel arbitrarily gimped here. The fact that it's an optional means of travel cements my opinion that there's little reason to really hate it.

I think the overworld might be simple enough for an auto-pilot feature where you can either ride to the next destination while poking around in menus, or just skip the ride.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I'm happy to enlighten you guys because way too much bullshit about batmobile making a difference is being thrown around. If the game is as pretty and fun as ours will be, who cares? Getting this game to run batmobile was a BITCH. The game is so huge in terms of rendering that it took months to get it to run batmobile at 30fps. The game was 9fps 9 months ago. We only achieved batmobile at 30fps weeks ago. The PS4 couldn't handle batmobile for our game, whatever people, or Sony and Microsoft say. Yes, we have a deal with Microsoft, and yes we don't want people fighting over it, but with all the recent concessions from Microsoft, backing out of batmobile reservations not once, but twice, you're talking about a 1 or 2 fps difference between the two consoles. So yes, locking the batmobile is a conscious decision to keep people bullshiting, but that doesn't seem to have worked in the end. Even if Rocksteady has deals, the dev team members are proud, and want the best performance out of every console out there. What's hard is not getting the game to render at this point, it's making everything else in the game work at the same level of performance we designed from the start for the batmobile. By the amount of content and NPCs in the game, from someone who witnessed optimization for lots of Rocksteady games in the past, this is crazily batmobiled for such a young generation of consoles. This really is about to define a next gen like no other game before. Mordor has next gen Caragor and Graugs, but not batmobile like Arkham Knight does. The proof comes in that game being cross gen. Our producer (Vincent) saying we're bound with batmobiel by the CPU is right, but not entirely. Consider this, they started this game so early for next gen, MS and Sony wanted to push graphics first, so that's what we did. I believe 50% of the batmobile is dedicated to helping the kicking-ass by processing batmobile turrets, and in our case, much like Graugs, baked vehicles. The result is amazing batmobilly, the tank mode and vehicle mode are beyond anything you've seen on the market, and even may surpass Graugs and Caragor. Because of this I think the build is a full 50gigs, filling the bluray to the edge, and nearly half of that is batmobile data.

zLfwck7.gif

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
The result is amazing batmobilly, the tank mode and vehicle mode are beyond anything you've seen on the market, and even may surpass Graugs and Caragor.

I managed to read most of that straight-faced, but this line finally broke me.

hydruxo

I'm looking forward to driving it around but I don't like the combat they have for it, considering it's Batman and he can only stun / knock out enemies.

I'm quoting this again for anyone who feels they haven't seen enough of the batmobile to form an opinion, and for the people who don't like it's implementation (that can be seen so far):

I'm looking forward to driving it around but I don't like the combat they have for it, considering it's Batman and he can only stun / knock out enemies.

The non-lethal/explosive weapons are contextual by my understanding. I'll look for a quote about it. I know there are supposed to be regular vehicles piloted by human criminals.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

Tbf we haven't seen much of the Batmobile Vs Drone combat and we have seen nothing at all of it assisting Batman in hand to hand combat.

To reply to the OP; It seems that, aside from a few encounters and Riddler challenges, it will be entirely optional. If players hate it they don't have to use it, personally I think it looks like great fun. There was no way they could make another Arkham and leave it out.

All I ever wanted was a giant Gotham city to drive the Batmobile around in. Like I have literally been imagining this since I was a kid watching the animated series. Actually I wanted every vehicle he used like the boat, the Jet and the motorcycle. People are actually complaining about using one of the most iconic vehicles in comic book and movie history? Really?

wSvoup5.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
holy shit at those gifs o_O

I actually hadnt seen it in action

Shaanyboi

Banned
Who the hell is hating on the Batmobile? It looks so fun! My only concern with it is how often I'll have to turn it into tank mode like the High Moon Transformers games had to...

wow, thats good, lol!

Rocksteady shot themselves in the foot or something.

I'm wanna do it too!!!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Who the hell is hating on the Batmobile? It looks so fun! My only concern with it is how often I'll have to turn it into tank mode like the High Moon Transformers games had to...

Who are these people that don't like the Batmobile???

Anytime it's brought up in a thread there are always several people that complain about it's tank controls, they aksi moan about it being stupid that it's non-lethal

nomis

ibqc0UgEyS2wAi.gif

Tbf we haven't seen much of the Batmobile Vs Drone combat and we have seen nothing at all of it assisting Batman in hand to hand combat.

To reply to the OP; It seems that, aside from a few encounters and Riddler challenges, it will be entirely optional. If players hate it they don't have to use it, personally I think it looks like great fun. There was no way they could make another Arkham and leave it out.

Check out the video quoted in the OP.

Here's the part where the player remotely controls which enemy it targets with its non-lethal rounds. The player can also uppercut an enemy into the air to be shot in midair by the Batmobile.

Anung

Un Rama
Driving the Batmobile is the thing I'm most hyped about. I even liked the Burnout-lite sections of the Batman Begins game that lets you bomb about in the Tumbler.

Astral Dog

I dont see whats wrong with the Batmobile, it fits well with the game and makes sense for batman, im not sure whats the problem with it,but i havent been following AK much to know the complaints.

Chris1

I think it looks cool as fuck, no real problems with me.

It could probably do without the combat side of it, it does seem a bit unnecessary but I don't mind it as long as it's balanced

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

This is the best meta I've seen on GAF.

Myansie

I get the concerns. The E3 demo made it look a bit shooterish. Although using it as a catapult to fly in the air was awesome. I'm definitely in the camp that thinks it's great to include it and hopefully make it a big part of the game.

I wonder if it's a large reason for the delay? Making it an interesting part of the game play will certainly take a lot of work.

Driving the Batmobile is the thing I'm most hyped about. I even liked the Burnout-lite sections of the Batman Begins game that lets you bomb about in the Tumbler.

I never tried that game, but have seen footage of the batmobile parts. Burnout 3 was a good template for them, even though they (looked like they) were ridiculous. I kind of worry about the sense of speed feeling appropriate for AK's batmobile since the game isn't going to be absolutely huge open world, nor will the batmobile be closed-circuit driving segments like Burnout — Revenge probably had the best sense of speed in a game I've experienced, something that would be great here.

I get the concerns. The E3 demo made it look a bit shooterish. Although using it as a catapult to fly in the air was awesome. I'm definitely in the camp that thinks it's great to include it and hopefully make it a big part of the game.

I wonder if it's a large reason for the delay? Making it an interesting part of the game play will certainly take a lot of work.

No one knows for sure what the cause for the delay is, though WB's game release schedule is pretty full until June.

Phamit

The only thing I don't really make about the Batmobile is the "tank-mode"

Batman doesn't kill people, (Or doesn't Batman give fuck anymore?) Shooting with rockets and machine guns isn't really a good way to ensure this goal.

Why would anyone hate the Batmobile?!? As long as I can still go indoors and beat ass, I don't know why anyone would hate it.

I'll look for some older threads, but there are people who didn't like the concept itself, even before the batmboile gameplay was shown.

Also, new image of the batmobile posted on AK facebook page:

iN3v5PHEmvwua.jpg

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Two-button combat seemed like a pretty terrible idea as well, until I tried it. I would not want to make any changes to Rocksteady's plans for the Batmobile. They have definitely earned the benefit of the doubt from me at this point.

Above: Wow, this game is looking amazing.

Mr Git

From what I've seen it looks great, hopefully it'll be nice to control. I really hope there aren't small objects which aren't destructible, always ruins the moment when that happens.

ArjanN

Driving around in it looks pretty cool. It's the shoehorned in tank bits I find off-putting.

This, the driving and jumping in and out looks fine. It's the tank mode where your car strafes that looks lame, I mean, I get why they did that because making actual car combat would be much harder to get right, but it kind of seems like a cop-out.

From what I've seen it looks great, hopefully it'll be nice to control. I really hope there aren't small objects which aren't destructible, always ruins the moment when that happens.

Considering the level of destruction shown so far (and reports of demo from E3 mentioned it can even smash through corners of buildings), that shouldn't be a problem.

This, the driving and jumping in and out looks fine. It's the tank mode where your car strafes that looks lame, I mean, I get why they did that because making actual car combat would be much harder to get right, but it kind of seems like a cop-out.

I don't disagree, but what are some ways that could be improved without taking out combat completely? Would making it move more slowly and deliberately like a tank help keep it from feeling cheap? I haven't played many car-combat games, so I'm not sure what would feel appropriate here. Maybe making certain weapon require being stationary which would demand more consideration on the player's part. idk

I'm a Batmobile hater (doubter, really). There are a few reasons for this.

1) Riddler challenges with the Batmobile are going to suck. I feel strongly about that.

2) I don't like driving in video games.

3) I like the Arkham games for two reasons: stealth and combat. Neither of those are being highlighted this time, and that worries me.

4) I can drive around in many games. I can't glide like Batman in other games.

I'm a Batmobile hater (doubter, really). There are a few reasons for this.

1) Riddler challenges with the Batmobile are going to suck. I feel strongly about that.

2) I don't like driving in video games.

3) I like the Arkham games for two reasons: stealth and combat. Neither of those are being highlighted this time, and that worries me.

4) I can drive around in many games. I can't glide like Batman in other games.

I can't see any way around 2, but

1) If there's Riddler content beyond those Batmobile segments, would that be okay with you? If there aren't, would you be okay with just skipping it all entirely?

3) Outside of specific moments, the Batmobile seems as if it will be optional during moments where stealth/combat are possible. It can be used remotely during hand-to-hand combat, and any moment that would demand stealth wouldn't require use of the Batmobile (unless it can distract enemies remotely somehow). Does it being unobtrusive make it okay for you? If it could be used for stealth, would you warm up to it?

4) The Batmobile can be used to launch Batman into a glide and again, for general traversal, it seems entirely optional (though the game world will be huge). Is it satisfactory for you that everything said about it makes it seem optional for getting around?

Cynn

It looks damned awesome to me. I don't get the arm chair dev threads lately. Let's fix something that we've not even tried based on extremely limited information. I hope none of you practice medicine! lol

Neff

The only way you could improve this is to make the Batmobile look a little less Tumbler-y and a bit sleeker and battier. Antonfurstmobile DLC and I'm there day one, RockSteady.

Otherwise, I can't fucking wait.

Skilletor

I hate driving in games.

I hate shooting in games.

The batmobile combines two of my least favorite things.

The only way it would be more acceptable is if it was completely, 100% optional.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I really liked it from the latest videos. Seems like it's more of an addition rather than a replacement to transportation and movement.

I hate driving in games.

I hate shooting in games.

The batmobile combines two of my least favorite things.

The only way it would be more acceptable is if it was completely, 100% optional.

You must hate like 85% percent of all video games then.

Personally I think the Batmobile is awesome. Although we need a fully playable Batwing.

Skilletor

You must hate like 85% percent of all video games then.

Personally I think the Batmobile is awesome. Although we need a fully playable Batwing.

Yup. Your point? I tend to avoid games which heavily focus on these mechanics.

Hopefully I won't be forced to do much of either in Batman.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Wait.... people actually hate the Batmobile in Arkham Knight? And, on top of that, without even playing the game? Wtf

Roto13

It looks damned awesome to me. I don't get the arm chair dev threads lately. Let's fix something that we've not even tried based on extremely limited information. I hope none of you practice medicine! lol

EDIT: I just realized that the person who necromanced this thread is on my ignore list, so I didn't see his post at all, and isn't you, so now I am a little embarrassed.

Top Bottom