• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV site updates with trailer music

TheF1BOB

Banned
Quite frankly, Masayoshi Soken is a more than able replacement for Uematsu. He really knows what makes Final Fantasy music Final Fantasy, while giving it his own twist.

Exhibit A
Exhibit B

Soken's work in XIV is amazing.

Soken is hot garbage. If it wasn't for Uematsu, XIV's soundtrack would of been a stinker. Soken's only decent track is Fallen Angel.

Hamauzu, Suzuki and Mizuta are the future hopefully.

Soken is hot garbage. If it wasn't for Uematsu, XIV's soundtrack would of been a stinker. Soken's only decent track is Fallen Angel.

Hamauzu, Suzuki and Mizuta are the future hopefully.

Here, I'll post some more Soken stuff then. You will be converted! :D (I just wanted an excuse to post FFXIV music)

Titan's Theme 'Under the Weight' (specifically the last phase)

Leviathan Phase 2 (That's Soken singing in the background, too)

Ramuh Battle

Battle on the Big Bridge (FFXIV)

Ultima Weapon Phase 2

Binding Coil of Bahamut (1st turn, Battle)

Soken is consistently the best thing about FFXIV. You can probably complain about him being too 'rock-heavy' (And, I'll admit, Titan and Leviathan's themes do sound similar), but especially his battle themes are absolutely awesome. Plus, FFXIV's themes often weave in and out of slower, more melodic themes into more rock-heavy battle themes seamlessly (I couldn't find a good example of that), and I really hope FFXV's music works in a similar way, seamlessly going from field to battle to field again. It probably won't though :/

(All that being said, I'm a huge fan of Mizuta, too. FFXI has a freaking amazing soundtrack. )

TheF1BOB

Banned
Here, I'll post some more Soken stuff then. You will be converted! :D (I just wanted an excuse to post FFXIV music)

Titan's Theme 'Under the Weight' (specifically the last phase)

Leviathan Phase 2 (That's Soken singing in the background, too)

Ramuh Battle

Battle on the Big Bridge (FFXIV)

Ultima Weapon Phase 2

Binding Coil of Bahamut (1st turn, Battle)

Soken is consistently the best thing about FFXIV. You can probably complain about him being too 'rock-heavy' (And, I'll admit, Titan and Leviathan's themes do sound similar), but especially his battle themes are absolutely awesome. Plus, FFXIV's themes often weave in and out of slower, more melodic themes into more rock-heavy battle themes seamlessly (I couldn't find a good example of that), and I really hope FFXV's music works in a similar way, seamlessly going from field to battle to field again. It probably won't though :/

(All that being said, I'm a huge fan of Mizuta, too. FFXI has a freaking amazing soundtrack. )

That last one, along with Garuda's Theme, is the only one I like as it's a instrumental/rocked up version of Answers and just has a nice rhythm to them.

Has the odd track I like but most just bore me and like you've stated, too rock heavy (some DMC shit lol).

But I like Soken's tracks more than Uematsu's.

well good for you. :)

That last one, along with Garuda's Theme, is the only one I like as it's a instrumental/rocked up version of Answers and just has a nice rhythm to them.

Has the odd track I like but most just bore me and like you've stated, too rock heavy (some DMC shit lol).

Yeah. Being very rock-driven is a complaint I could see someone making. It's hard to find many of the non-battle tracks on Youtube, too (plus, with lots of stuff being reused from 1.0, hard to tell who composed what). One of the examples is I tried to find the remix of Battle Theme from FF2 that exists inside FFXIV, but couldn't find anything with that track in it (and I'm curious what track from FF6 he remixed for 14's upcoming patch)

Uematsu's score in 1.0 was very uninspired though, I feel. His chocobo music survived into 2.0 and it makes me cringe in pain when I hear it...

Teremap

Banned

Well, there's obviously no accounting for taste.

Me, I think Uematsu kind of phoned it in for a lot of 1.0's soundtrack. It's distinctively his style for sure, but, well, it's also kind of bland half the time. (The good tracks he does are REALLY good, though.)

I mean, Ifrit was composed by him and it's easily the most bland and boring of all the Primal tracks.

Now I'm just going to drop these here...

Battle Theme 1.x <--- remake of the FF2 battle theme
Hubris <-- remake of FF3's Altar Cave

I still can't believe they are finally releasing new info on a regular basis. It's just too much for me. Time for my media blackout :)

And with that beginning and ending, this could very well be the theme that plays during the opening before the title screen. Just imagine some dramatic scenes at the start of the track, complemented by the edgy piano part, and the game's logo appearing in a flashy, Final Fantasy-worthy way during the prelude at the end.

TheF1BOB

Banned
Yeah. Being very rock-driven is a complaint I could see someone making. It's hard to find many of the non-battle tracks on Youtube, too (plus, with lots of stuff being reused from 1.0, hard to tell who composed what). One of the examples is I tried to find the remix of Battle Theme from FF2 that exists inside FFXIV, but couldn't find anything with that track in it (and I'm curious what track from FF6 he remixed for 14's upcoming patch)

Uematsu's score in 1.0 was very uninspired though, I feel. His chocobo music survived into 2.0 and it makes me cringe in pain when I hear it...

Well, there's obviously no accounting for taste.

Me, I think Uematsu kind of phoned it in for a lot of 1.0's soundtrack. It's distinctively his style for sure, but, well, it's also kind of bland half the time. (The good tracks he does are REALLY good, though.)

I mean, Ifrit was composed by him and it's easily the most bland and boring of all the Primal tracks.

Now I'm just going to drop these here...

Battle Theme 1.x <--- remake of the FF2 battle theme
Hubris <-- remake of FF3's Altar Cave

Damn I like Uematsu's stuff from 1.0 like this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjbJ0IjWpJ4

can't fine much on Youtube though. :/

Teremap

Banned

Yeah, because of Square Enix's policy that you can only play the music when it's accompanied by in-game footage of the place where it's used.

There's also Fury and Phantom on the Lake, among a smattering of other 1.0 tracks used throughout the game where appropriate (like for the final bosses of Stone Vigil HM and Halatali HM).
Did they get rid of Uematsu's soundtrack when ARR was released ?
They replaced a lot of his tracks entirely, but there's the above mentioned tracks and a few others that are getting re-used in the game when they can find an excuse to do so.

I expect we'll hear a few more of his tracks re-used in 2.4 and 2.5 as boss themes (particularly No Quarter and The Seventh Gate (which isn't on the Internet as far as I can tell)).

I actually didn't know that track was in 1.0 (But I didn't play a whole lot of 1.0 either.) That and the two Teremap posted are pretty good, yes.

A lot of those 1.0 battle themes remind me of something you'd hear in Star Ocean 3. That's not a bad thing!

I do see a pattern here, though: Uematsu's battle themes were pretty great, but I can't be arsed to remember any other theme from 1.0 except the night time Thanalan one and Gridania's old theme. Even tracks that made it into 2.0 from 1.0 like 'Horizons Calling' are pretty uninspired and generic (I can't find it on youtube either, but it's Hullbreaker Isle's theme now)

Super hard to find 1.0 youtube tracks, but the Before Meteor blu-ray/music set has most of them. They really did reuse a lot of music from 1.0 :p

MrMatt555

I can't stop listening. Between this and the remastered 13th struggle, I have become victim to Based Shimomura's spell. So tantalizing...

so-good.gif

Heartfyre

Yoko Shimomura is right up there with Nobuo Uematsu. Every game she's composed had superb soundtracks. It's taken me ages to get through Xenoblade because I spend so long camping at the main menu.

To think we're getting a whole Final Fantasy full of her work... The game could be worse than XIII, and I'd still be happy to complete it for the soundtrack alone.

HeelPower

No, it means subtly layering sample library strings behind the real ones (sequenced to match the real ones in performance) gives you a sound you can't generally get from just recordings alone and it's become part of the sound of a lot of film music nowadays. (Thanks Hans Zimmer!)

Really cool.Thanks for the info!

HeelPower

FFXIV ARR's music is fairly boring.

I haven't heard anything that beats what we've heard so far of XV/Versus :p

I have played the game for about 20 hours so I kind of know all about the themes ,and ,while they're nice, I wouldn't want mainline FF to have music like that.

Teremap

Banned
FFXIV ARR's music is fairly boring.
For you. ;)

I haven't heard anything that beats what we've heard so far of XV/Versus :p

I have played the game for about 20 hours so I kind of know all about the themes ,and ,while they're nice, I wouldn't want mainline FF to have music like that.
...Unfortunately, Final Fantasy XIV IS a mainline FF. It's in the name. ;)

But yeah, no accounting for taste. I like Shimomura's stuff but it doesn't scream Final Fantasy to me the way Uematsu's or Soken's work does.

I mean, well, I daresay Soken has produced the single greatest dungeon track ever put into a Final Fantasy game! ...But, yeah, that's just my particular tastes talking. Music is subjective, after all!

HeelPower

But yeah, no accounting for taste. I like Shimomura's stuff but it doesn't scream Final Fantasy to me the way Uematsu's or Soken's work does.

His music doesn't scream FF/Uematsu at all.

If anything it screams of Hitoshi Sakimoto's work on FFXII,a distinctly different soundtrack from all of FF.

Like I said I DO think his work is nice but not one of my favorites overall.Same with Naoshi Mizuta.Nice but not the best. imo obviously.

Best music in the game.

Again this sounds very much like something Sakimoto would compose.Not Uematsu.

Falk

that puzzling face
...Unfortunately, Final Fantasy XIV IS a mainline FF. It's in the name. ;)

When people say mainline they usually mean mainline single player. This is a really old, dead horse semantics argument from the time 11 was new.

DeSolos

His music doesn't scream FF/Uematsu at all.

If anything it screams of Hitoshi Sakimoto's work on FFXII,a distinctly different soundtrack from all of FF.

Like I said I DO think his work is nice but not one of my favorites overall.Same with Naoshi Mizuta.Nice but not the best. imo obviously.

Best music in the game.

Again this sounds very much like something Sakimoto would compose.Not Uematsu.

Agreed ARR's music is definitely more in the vein of FFXII. Very well orchestrated stuff, but can be on the forgettable side as there tends not to be a consistent melody throughout.

Both Shimomura and Uematsu have a stronger sense of melody and tend to have much catchier and memorable songs.

HeelPower

Both Shimomura and Uematsu have a stronger sense of melody and tend to have much catchier and memorable songs.

I agree totally.

And when it comes to FF melody has always been important.

I couldn't imagine a better choice than Shimomura for FF.

Unless its Uematsu himself ,but that's a dream.

Hamauzu is amazing as well.One of the finest composers imo.

Teremap

Banned
Man, come on. This is the most Final Fantasy-ass Final Fantasy track I've heard in a LONG time. (Granted, it's really more of a remake of one of Uematsu's tracks, but you can't listen to this and tell me Soken doesn't get what Final Fantasy should sound like.)

Agreed ARR's music is definitely more in the vein of FFXII. Very well orchestrated stuff, but can be on the forgettable side as there tends not to be a consistent melody throughout.

...Yeeaaah, nah. Fully half (probably more) of the entire ARR soundtrack disagrees with you here. Or just listen to Penitus that I linked to above.

Reveirg

Soken needs to be given the resources to record all his FF14 music live.

pls squeenix

I thought it was really disappointing that they gave Lightning Returns soundtrack the full-budget treatment, with live strings, percs, etc., and ARR's OST had NONE of that.

But considering the sheer amount of tracks the game already has, and the fact that they have to add in new music for each patch and expansion, I guess the costs and production hurdles would be insane.

As far as composition goes, Soken is definitely really, really talented. I feel like he doesn't have his own "color" or "touch" like Hamauzu, Sakimoto and Shimomura do. But that will surely come out eventually.

I thought it was really disappointing that they gave Lightning Returns soundtrack the full-budget treatment, with live strings, percs, etc., and ARR's OST had NONE of that.

But considering the sheer amount of tracks the game already has, and the fact that they have to add in new music for each patch and expansion, I guess the costs and production hurdles would be insane.

As far as composition goes, Soken is definitely really, really talented. I feel like he doesn't have his own "color" or "touch" like Hamauzu, Sakimoto and Shimomura do. But that will surely come out eventually.

He's definitely finding that rhythm that works for him; it's easy to see as the music has progressed with each patch, etc.

If there's one part of Square Enix that has consistently delivered quality despite everything else, it's the music department. They have some incredibly talented composers, probably only rivaled by Nintendo in terms of quality (At least, I can't think of any other game company that consistently puts out high-quality music soundtracks).

Even LIGHTNING RETURNS had some amazing music.

Thoraxes

For KH and the old Versus trailers, it was Kaoru Wada. He's an amazing orchestrator

More recently for KH2.5 and this trailer, Shota Nakama of VGO orchestrated. He also did Hamauzu's stuff on Lightning Returns.
Thanks for this info! I never see a ton of info about the orchestrators, and as someone who has done it for about 7 years, I have a massive sense of appreciation for the people who do such a rigorous job. Full orchestra gigs are no joke!

Thanks a ton!

Reveirg

He's definitely finding that rhythm that works for him; it's easy to see as the music has progressed with each patch, etc.

I agree. Even for the vanilla game, most of my favorite tracks were towards the later dungeons and story missions.

If there's one part of Square Enix that has consistently delivered quality despite everything else, it's the music department. They have some incredibly talented composers, probably only rivaled by Nintendo in terms of quality (At least, I can't think of any other game company that consistently puts out high-quality music soundtracks).

Even LIGHTNING RETURNS had some amazing music.

Absolutely! A lot of them have left S-E in the past 15 years, but they bring back most of them contractually (Hamauzu, Shimomura, Uemtasu), and still find new really talented people to hire internally (Mizuta, Suzuki, Soken, etc.)

Top Bottom