• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV site updates with trailer music

Sounds really nice. Starts off incredibly KH like, which isn't surprising but if I didn't know about FFXV, I'd say it was KH. Great stuff from Shimomura.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
She's composing quite unique musique for her standards, I like how FF each and everytime gives composers the true time to shine. Can't wait to listen to the full ost.

Falk

that puzzling face
Are there links to the other songs as well? I could've sworn I remembered them being downloadable from the site as well.

The previous trailer music? Somnus and Omnis Lacrima (though this wasn't the trailer trailer) are available on the drammatica and memoria CDs respectively.

wmlk

Omnis Lacrima seems to be the official battle theme for FFXV which is pretty interesting.

I really, really hope Somnus is still used in the game. I just don't want any overwrites.

It was Nomura who made Shimomura the composer of this game!

Never forget...Especially the Nomura Haters

I will always see this as Nomura & Tabatas Game !

Dark_castle

Omnis Lacrima seems to be the official battle theme for FFXV which is pretty interesting.

I really, really hope Somnus is still used in the game. I just don't want any overwrites.

TBH I hope there is no regular battle theme in this game, just like FFXII. Let the ambient music reflect the mood of the battles. Reserve battle theme for event fights and boss fights.

I like this music a little too much for my own good, thank you OP! Now i can listen on my phone :)

ZILVCGV.jpg

0qoo2o0.jpg

Well this'll do. I find these a bit better than the original!

Mar Nosso

Banned
Could Shimomura be the Uematsu replacement that was needed? Not that Uematsu isn't still great, but Final Fantasy without incredible soundtracks is not really Final Fantasy.

wmlk

TBH I hope there is no regular battle theme in this game, just like FFXII. Let the ambient music reflect the mood of the battles. Reserve battle theme for event fights and boss fights.

I agree under some circumstances. I would like mini-boss music, and maybe Omnis Lacrima is that. I just want an interesting way for battle music to be handled like NieR.

It's always weird when you have majestic music playing only to be marred by a sudden battle theme, or if there's no battle theme then it's just the same majestic track playing awkwardly in a tense battle. NieR fixed that problem.

Could Shimomura be the Uematsu replacement that was needed? Not that Uematsu isn't still great, but Final Fantasy without incredible soundtracks is not really Final Fantasy.

Hamauzu is pretty awesome. Final Fantasy is just fine in the music department, especially with Soken in FFXIV (sogood).

Don't expect Shimomura to be in future entries. There really hasn't been any consistency with who the composer is since FFX.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

Final Fantasy had always amazing OSTs, being that through Sakimoto, Hamauzu or others that contributed. Actually I don't miss Uematsu at all considering he always gave everything he could in the past and in the latest years he is just (normally) repeating itself. By changing composers FF have been refreshed a bit imho. I'm all for it. Changing them everytime.

She can start a new era at SE. Already did a great job with Xenoblade, Kingdom Hearts, and now FF15.

Labadal

I think Final Fantasy games have good soundtracks, even when Uematsu isn't responsible.

GuardianSoul

Neo Member
There's a recreation online that actually does some parts better than the original. Kinda strange.
This sounds better than the version in the OP :x
A guy re-created this track almost perfectly just after the trailer came out and I've had it as my ring tone on my phone ever since.
Well this'll do. I find these a bit better than the original!
Oh, you guys... :p

Just wanted to say that MILITIS VAGUS and GRATIA MUNDI are NOT REAL TITLES for the tracks.

GuardianSoul just named them that and now people are going wild. These are the consequences that you have to deal with when you pretentious Latin, Nomura.
That's right, I did that so people can recognize the songs in some form, instead of having them to call TGS Trailer Music P1/P2. I'm changing it as soon as we get the real title(s).

I was waiting for this. You can really tell it's Shimomura who's working on the soundtrack, her style is really unique and I love it. I've adored her work since I first got in touch with Kingdom Hearts, she has never let me down since then. Major props to the VGO as well for the recording.

Damn, I love the second half so much

Fucking pianos and violins man
Well, to be fair the XIII series soundtrack is really, really good. That was one thing they got absolutely right.

Mar Nosso

Banned
Apart from the battle theme, FF XIII's soundtrack didn't really stay with me. Never played the sequels though so can't comment on those.

Who composed XII's soundtrack? Of that one I have no recollection at all, unfortunately.

Edit: Oh, Sakimoto. I'll check some pieces on Youtube to see if it stirs my memories.

wmlk

That's right, I did that so people can recognize the songs in some form, instead of having them to call TGS Trailer Music P1/P2. I'm changing it as soon as we get the real title(s).

I was waiting for this. You can really tell it's Shimomura who's working on the soundtrack, her style is really unique and I love it. I've adored her work since I first got in touch with Kingdom Hearts, she has never let me down since then. Major props to the VGO as well for the recording.

You did a good job. I feel like the actual track feels smaller in scale at some parts. Your rendition with your VSTs captured the epic feeling pretty well. Obviously, the violin solo was tough to recreate.

And yeah, I don't blame you for the names. I would have done the same thing. You got the pretentious Latin down pat. :p

Dark_castle

Her past work:

Super Mario RPG
Street Fighter II
Parasite Eve
Legend of Mana
Kingdom Hearts
Xenoblade Chronicles

Wait you did these? Holy crap! Amazing job!

Pardon the I'm sure silly question, but as a total ignorant of what you just did to recreate these songs: how'd you do it? In the simplest, briefest of ways. You didn't actually recorded live instruments to recreate it did you?

GuardianSoul

Neo Member
You did a good job. I feel like the actual track feels smaller in scale at some parts. Your rendition with your VSTs captured the epic feeling pretty well. Obviously, the violin solo was tough to recreate.

And yeah, I don't blame you for the names. I would have done the same thing. You got the pretentious Latin down pat. :p
Thanks :p. Yes, solo instruments are generally speaking much more complex to recreate than other instruments.

Wait you did these? Holy crap! Amazing job!

Pardon the I'm sure silly question, but as a total ignorant of what you just did to recreate these songs: how'd you do it? In the simplest, briefest of ways. You didn't actually recorded live instruments to recreate it did you?
Thank you! Everything you hear is done with VST's, so no they're not live. Basically they're sampled instruments which you can configure in a Digital Audio Workstation like Cubase or FL Studio. Some instruments are more complex than the other, so the sound you can get from VST's could be a bit limited.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Epic. Ending sounded a bit like a certain, famous FFX song. ;)

It's in nigh all FFs : )

Shimomura is GREAT, but it's not like Hamauzu (FF13 or Sekito (MGS2 \ TLR) can't step up to the plate.
Honestly, i don't like Uematsu's works that much anymore. FF I-IX had.. something more.

Thanks :p. Yes, solo instruments are generally speaking much more complex to recreate than other instruments.

Thank you! Everything you hear is done with VST's, so no they're not live. Basically they're sampled instruments which you can configure in a Digital Audio Workstation like Cubase or FL Studio. Some instruments are more complex than the other, so the sound you can get from VST's could be a bit limited.

I don't know what many of those words mean so I guess it must be super complicated. You did a terrific job!

UrbanRats

I realize that but I wanted the Youtube ripped version. Unless there's an easy way that I dont know of for me to rip to my PC as an mp3 file the link in the OP.

Right click --> Save as...
On the OP link will save the mp3 file to your computer.

Didn't know you were on GAF.
Amazing job on those tracks, i've been playing them non stop since TGS.

Falk

that puzzling face

Hey, welcome to GAF. Wanted to say slick job on the recreations.
Even if some chords are wrong :p

If you're really serious about this stuff, I would consider investing in a good pair of microphones and the means to record some live stuff. The hurdle of finding and building a contact list of good players aside, I eventually came to the conclusion regarding my own stuff that if I put a monetary value to my time, getting someone to record solo instruments ends up being actually more economical than hours I'd spend slaving away sequencing and messing with CC data to get it sounding just (about) right.

Recording a full 40-piece string section might be out of the budget of most folks. Recording two or three woodwind players, or a solo violin to layer over the sequence, is totally worth it.

edit: This is something I facilitated recordings for a friend. One violin, flute, oboe and clarinet make up the entirety of live instruments in it. Recorded in my apartment.

Edit: Oh, Sakimoto. I'll check some pieces on Youtube to see if it stirs my memories.

How could you not remember this :(

(I know, it's the perfect setup for a "bland" joke. Shut up, you)

GuardianSoul

Neo Member
Hey, welcome to GAF. Wanted to say slick job on the recreations.
Even if some chords are wrong :p

Haha thanks, guess I kinda rushed it though :p. If I'm not mistaken, you're affiliated with the Video Game Orchestra, right? If so then it's an honor to have someone like you listen to my recreations. Some parts are noticeably wrong like the piano during the prelude part. It's definitely not perfect or the same as the original, but I kind of like it that way too. It's pretty much my own version of it now. Aside from that, my knowledge in music education is literally zero, so forgive me if I did anything weird lol.

If you're really serious about this stuff, I would consider investing in a good pair of microphones and the means to record some live stuff. The hurdle of finding and building a contact list of good players aside, I eventually came to the conclusion regarding my own stuff that if I put a monetary value to my time, getting someone to record solo instruments ends up being actually more economical than hours I'd spend slaving away sequencing and messing with CC data to get it sounding just (about) right.

Recording a full 40-piece string section might be out of the budget of most folks. Recording two or three woodwind players, or a solo violin to layer over the sequence, is totally worth it.

edit: This is something I facilitated recordings for a friend. One violin, flute, oboe and clarinet make up the entirety of live instruments in it. Recorded in my apartment.[/url]

Actually, I've been wanting to do that for some time now. I don't have the playing skills myself, but it would be rather interesting to use real life instruments. I've tried to look for people wanting to record, but without success. I would agree that real life instruments can give a whole new breathe to the music, and that recording just proves it even more. VST libraries are great, and they are improving significantly. But I've tried sequencing a solo violin a number of times, and it's just no match against having the real thing.

It's kind of funny and charming how classic mid/late 90's era Final Fantasy this sounds. It specifically seems to recall the atmosphere of Final Fantasy 8. Hopefully the game itself is better than FF 8 though.

Teremap

Banned
Quite frankly, Masayoshi Soken is a more than able replacement for Uematsu. He really knows what makes Final Fantasy music Final Fantasy, while giving it his own twist.

Exhibit A
Exhibit B

Falk

that puzzling face
Soken needs to be given the resources to record all his FF14 music live.

pls squeenix

Top Bottom