• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed Unity Experience #3 - Immersive Open World Activities

theWB27

Sounds awful. It's a shame that some of these companies care more about sticking to their yearly release schedule than putting out a quality product. If the final game is in this type of shape, then I won't pay full price for it.

Ubi should of took a page from EA's book and delayed it a few months like Battlefield: Hardline if the performance is truly this horrid.

But each ACreed gets 3-4 years of development. What's the yearly release have to do with anything other than perception?

Webhead

Banned
I can confirm all of this, I've played an XB1 build of the game yesterday at the Milan Games Week

- Awful framerate: it probably dips below 20fps very often, It looked it was always way below 30fps
- Awful image quality: aliasing and some weird edge artifacts around arno and some scenery
-Not sure if 900p: looked even lower like 720p(I had played Bayonetta 2 few minutes before)
- Bugs: I once got stuck in a pinnacle over notre dame, had problems to draw the sword and other small things(time played: less than 10 minutes)

The game looked fantastic seen from 4-5 meters at least though.

It was a disaster, I don't know how old was the build, I hope it had some months at least. I have no idea why Ubisoft think show that mess to the public, why not use a more recent build?

I haven't seen the console or devkit but the pad was the xb1 one.

I think that other italians who were there can easily confirm my experience with the game

Wat.

I was surprised when both versions were stated to be 900p. I thought surely the X1 version can't keep up with the PS4. I don't doubt that they will have fixed a lot of these issues at launch or with a day 1 update but this isn't good news at all for X1 owners. I can handle 900p but framerate not being at least 30fps is where I draw the line. I'll have to switch my preorder from X1 to PS4 now. Thanks for the heads up lefantome!

JohnGrimm

Wat.

I was surprised when both versions were stated to be 900p. I thought surely the X1 version can't keep up with the PS4. I don't doubt that they will have fixed a lot of these issues at launch or with a day 1 update but this isn't good news at all for X1 owners. I can handle 900p but framerate not being at least 30fps is where I draw the line. I'll have to switch my preorder from X1 to PS4 now. Thanks for the heads up lefantome!
Assuming the PS4 version isn't a disaster too.

But each ACreed gets 3-4 years of development. What's the yearly release have to do with anything other than perception?

I'm not trying to imply they don't. I'm just saying that if the performance of the final game is that bad, then they should delay it instead of trying to meet their yearly release schedule to appease investors.

They already delayed the game for two weeks for unknown reasons. I'm thinking that they know the game is running poorly and perhaps that was the furthest they wanted it pushed in order to maximize holiday sales.

They should of given the game a proper delay if that is the case.

Ateron

I'm willing to put up with 900p if the framerate is rock solid. Not asking for much here. 1080p is amazing, but if it comes to the expense of framerate, I will always prefer a scaled down version in terms of fps and resolution. 30 fps is nothing to brag about nowadays, when a capable pc can run most of these multiplats at double the fps, but for those buying on console (where the thought of this running at 60 is impossible) 30 locked would be amazing.

If the game suffers a lot in that department than I will pass. Had enough of shitty performing AC games on my ps3 last gen. Everything else in this game interests me, the setting, the customization, the apparent changes their making in the parkour, combat and mission layouts. But I will definitely wait for some tech analysis before buying this one, and I'm on ps4. Ubi doesn't inspire much confidence. Even though AC 4 ran pretty damn good, their constant PR fiascos in the past weeks have shook my confidence in this product. If it runs well, I will buy it, if not I won't.

Epcott

Heists?

Ok Ubi... you got me.

Funny that I wanted co-op heists from GTAV HD, but will finally be getting them here instead.

Ateron

Yes, of course that is also something to remember. Does anyone know if the ps4 version has been played anywhere?

I think all of the recent promo material has been shown only on the x1, cause of the marketing deal in place by both parties.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yes, of course that is also something to remember. Does anyone know if the ps4 version has been played anywhere?
There has been no ps4 gameplay due to the xb1 marketing deal, just like last year with AC4 being shown exclusively on ps4 until very close to release.

They delayed the game to fix bugs, balance the difficulty, an ingame economy.
http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/assas...lance_the_difficulty_and_in-game_economy.html
And the build being played at all the conventions is not the final build.

Sure. I'm not trying to knock it because of the parity thing or whatever. I just want the frame rate locked at 30. If Ubi can't accomplish that, then they should of delayed it or they really did botch the engine. I'm hoping the final version runs great though.

theWB27

I'm not trying to imply they don't. I'm just saying that if the performance of the final game is that bad, then they should delay it instead of trying to meet their yearly release schedule to appease investors.

They already delayed the game for two weeks for unknown reasons. I'm thinking that they know the game is running poorly and perhaps that was the furthest they wanted it pushed in order to maximize holiday sales.

They should of given the game a proper delay if that is the case.

I get you. I really hope this isn't the case even if it requires a patch.

Mr Swine

Banned
I know this is a really stupid question. But can you go around and kill anyone or does it result in a game over screen? Never played AC before and this side quest stuff looks really great and interesting

Crossing Eden

Sure. I'm not trying to knock it because of the parity thing or whatever. I just want the frame rate locked at 30. If Ubi can't accomplish that, then they should of delayed it or they really did botch the engine. I'm hoping the final version runs great though.
Well i'm getting it on ps4, and AC4 and WD although they were cross gen ran at pretty much a locked 30, so I'm hoping Ubi goes three for three in that regard.

I know this is a really stupid question. But can you go around and kill anyone or does it result in a game over screen? Never played AC before and this side quest stuff looks really great and interesting
AC has always desynchronized the player if they killed civilians. Guards and factions are able to killed at any time tho.

theWB27

When it comes to civilians they usually tell you the character didn't kill people and if you keep on it'll result in a desync.

DedValve

Banned
I'll get this on a BF sale like AC: Black Flag but only if the combat is actually fixed and is more visceral this time around.

This looks really promising but I just can't go back to the floaty ass mess that was in the previous games, I need something that feels satisfying. But that's going to be tough to do when it comes to AC since it's really something you have to feel for yourself. Anyone else here have the exact same complaints about previous entries and any good reviewers to look out for that also addressed that so I can see what they say about Unity?

Mr Swine

Banned
Well i'm getting it on ps4, and AC4 and WD although they were cross gen ran at pretty much a locked 30, so I'm hoping Ubi goes three for three in that regard.

AC has always desynchronized the player if they killed civilians. Guards and factions are able to killed at any time tho.

Oh ok, so that's how it works. Ok :)

Great-God

Banned
I see it has classical Ubi Map full of collecthatons!
Will just try it at someone else's, just like I did with Watch Dogs. Ubisoft collecthatons are actually fun if done with other people :)

Ateron

I'll get this on a BF sale like AC: Black Flag but only if the combat is actually fixed and is more visceral this time around.

This looks really promising but I just can't go back to the floaty ass mess that was in the previous games, I need something that feels satisfying. But that's going to be tough to do when it comes to AC since it's really something you have to feel for yourself. Anyone else here have the exact same complaints about previous entries and any good reviewers to look out for that also addressed that so I can see what they say about Unity?

Mordor awaits you, my friend. After the 500th beheading is starts to get a little boring though. Not exactly an AC game I know, but..

Jedi2016

This kind of useless running around and content only for the sake of content is precisely why I'm done with AC. Checklist Simulator 2014 2.

The only idea that even has the slightest hint of being interesting are the murder mysteries, but I fell for that on Watch_Dogs, where it was just "go to checkpoint and press A", and the game held your hand and walked you through the entire "investigations". You didn't have to actually figure anything out, you just went where the game told you to go next and pushed a button. That's not interesting to me.

Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

This kind of useless running around and content only for the sake of content is precisely why I'm done with AC. Checklist Simulator 2014 2.
Side content that helps you upgrade your character and weapons is not useless. Neither is things that help the world feel more alive, like watching plays.

theWB27

Side content that helps you upgrade your character and weapons is not useless. Neither is things that help the world feel more alive, like watching plays.

Whenever I see that...I just count those as the Ubisoft complaint checklist. Never understood why people have a problem with optional content or content meant to advance your character.

It's not fluff..it's not useless. You get a massive world with tons of content. Being able to spend 40+ hours in a game is a pretty good bargain for my 60 bucks.

Crossing Eden

It's not fluff..it's not useless. You get a massive world with tons of content. Being able to spend 40+ hours in a game is a pretty good bargain for my 60 bucks.
Exactly how I feel about it, as long as the content is interesting and expands the story then its good, both AC3's and 4's side content expanded on the story. 3 especially.

Whenever I see that...I just count those as the Ubisoft complaint checklist. Never understood why people have a problem with optional content or content meant to advance your character.

I've spent more than 50hours playing the original Deus Ex and over 30 playing Thief and none of those games had the padding and pointless repetitive checklists as Ubisoft's games. And mind you these aren't even open world.

Crossing Eden

I've spent more than 50hours playing the original Deus Ex and over 30 playing Thief and none of those games had the padding and pointless repetitive checklists as Ubisoft's games. And mind you these aren't even open world.
And they also don't take 50 hours or 30 hours to beat. Pretty pointless comparison.

Ateron

Well, if those collectibles now actually mean I will get something worthwhile, like XP for upgrading armor/weapons, like in Mordor, than I'm game. But I'm not gonna be collecting 200 feathers just for the sake of collecting, or trophy hunting.That's not content for me, that's just useless padding. Most of the AC games are full of useless items that give you next to no incentive to actually..go out and pick them. Except for those trying to get 100% synch, which then again means trophy hunting -which a lot of people, myself included - don't give a rat's ass about.

Make them worthwhile to collect and it's all good. From the videos it seems they might have a meaning this time around, let's see.

EDIT: A good example, imo, of collectibles were the "riddles" in AC2. I was kinda intrigued by every little fragment we unlocked and was eager to find more glyphs. That was something extra that added a lot to the game, even though there was no tangible reward, apart from insight on the game's lore, but it was a nice touch.

Well, if those collectibles now actually mean I will get something worthwhile, like XP for upgrading armor/weapons, like in Mordor, than I'm game. But I'm not gonna be collecting 200 feathers just for the sake of collecting, or trophy hunting.That's not content for me, that's just useless padding. Most of the AC games are full of useless items that give you next to no incentive to actually..go out and pick them. Except for those trying to get 100% synch, which then again means trophy hunting -which a lot of people, myself included - don't give a rat's ass about.

Make them worthwhile to collect and it's all good. From the videos it seems they might have a meaning this time around, let's see.

wasnt there actually plot stuff that happened when you collected all the feathers?

Pingoreous

It looks good but i think am gonna buy Dragon Age: Inquisition the following week instead. This will be a good early January cheap buy depending on how it runs.

lwqsxg.gif

Crossing Eden

That's relative, just like you don't need to collect all items in AC to progress. Poor strawman attempt.
It's pointless to say "well these two games that aren't open world don't have lots of side content." It's pretty obvious why those non open world games wouldn't have as much content as an open world game. Or that side content isn't going to stop the player from progressing in an open world game. So yes, it's completely pointless to compare them.

It's pointless to say "well these two games that aren't open world don't have lots of side content." It's pretty obvious why those non open world games wouldn't have as much content as an open world game. Or that side content isn't going to stop the player from progressing in an open world game. So yes, it's completely pointless to compare them.

The point I was trying to relay is that you don't need to utilize Ubisoft's design to extend game time.

Kevyt

Unity looks amazing. It definitely looks more lively and larger than other AC games. Except for maybe Black Flag. My biggest complain in the previous AC games was that the cities felt small and the side missions felt generic and boring.

Top Bottom