• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on Major Nelson's Podcast

jbug617

Banned
http://majornelson.com/cast/2014/11/01/mnr-527-phil-spencer-sunset-overdrive/
Phil Spencer Interview is from 25:16 - 44:34

Summary (sorry if I missed anything):
Learning. Phil believes he has found the direction where he wants to gaming on Xbox.
He said is happy what first party have brought this Fall. Phil says the sales for Sunset Overdrive look good so far
They have a roadmap for updates for 2015. Seems like monthly updates will continue.
Talks about they really do look at Xbox Feedback and encourage people to use it.
Phil talks about working with Ted Price. Glad that Insomniac was able to make a game they wanted.
Talk about Halo:MCC and the video documentary.
Phil talks about how they moved on for Holiday 2015 and E3 2015. He said next Fall will be crazy and doesn't even know how they will ship all the games they are planning for the Fall. Said it was possible that they might have to move some games so they wouldn't be overcrowding (starts around 36:15).
Talks about gaming on Windows. Will have more to say in 2015.
Said it was a good time to compete this holiday with the bundles and the price drop.
Talks about his family and snowboarding with his daughters (one who just started college)
Talks about the excitement at Microsoft about Xbox. Mentions the questions people had 6 months ago if Microsoft was committed to Xbox and says the support within the company has never been stronger.

Phil talks about how they moved on for Holiday 2015 and E3 2015. He said next Fall will be crazy and doesn't even know how they will ship all the games they are planning for the Fall. Said it was possible that they might have to move some games so they wouldn't be overcrowding.

I'll believe it when I see it.

nynt9

They've been saying they have more to say on Windows gaming since 2006, so glad to see they will deliver next year. /s

Phil says the sales for Sunset Overdrive look good so far

Nice to read it's off to a good start. I'm waiting until tomorrow when have some company over to finally play it but the impressions in the OT sound fantastic!

Phil has been doing a great job so far, he's turned the Xbox One around to the point where I'm a firm supporter of the platform. Prior to launch I was staunchly opposed to their practises, so the progress has been excellent thus far.

well they already have

halo 5
tomb raider
quantum break

all in that fall time frame. who's to say something like scalebound or Forza 6 aren't ready by next fall. it'd be silly to release all of them in that time frame

Quantum Break is supposedly aiming for September and Forza 2 was late on 360, due in 2006 ended up coming out in mid-2007 but apart from that Forza has always been on time, I don't expect that to change now. Turn10 are a machine

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
well they already have

halo 5
tomb raider
quantum break

all in that fall time frame. who's to say something like scalebound or Forza 6 aren't ready by next fall. it'd be silly to release all of them in that time frame

I think Forza 6 definitely will be next year title. Gonna be good. BTW great interview so far. I REALLY like this guy.

Frog-fu

Banned
Phil talks about how they moved on for Holiday 2015 and E3 2015. He said next Fall will be crazy and doesn't even know how they will ship all the games they are planning for the Fall. Said it was possible that they might have to move some games so they wouldn't be overcrowding.

Hoho, this is very interesting.

Halo 5, Quantum Break and Tomb Raider is a very solid line up, better than Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive and MCC. I'm guessing 2 more games?

If that is the case, why buy brief timed exclusivity for Tomb Raider? I wonder where the games are coming from. Scalebound, Crackdown, Gears etc are surely further out.

2thepoint

Hoho, this is very interesting.

They'll have to make room for Half-Life 3.

2015 is the year guys - I can feel it.

2006-2014 were just the warm-up years.

Phil will cast his divine light on Valve and reveal the wondrous secrets that dwell inside.

klodeckel

Banned
I'll believe it when I see it.

With Halo 5: Guardians, Quantum Break, Rise of the Tomb Raider and probably Scalebound, Forza Motorsport 6, Fable Legends - maybe Phantom Dust - ... I think there aleady are pretty damn much games coming around that time-frame. And there probably will be more.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Wish he'd say how much money they are losing with all the promotions, price cuts and free games... but i know we'll never know.

6.gif

bananas

Banned
I'm curious, share holders weren't happy with the XBO division so i don't think they're taking all of the money that's beeing burned in trying to correct the ship too kindly, i hope it's not a sin to wonder about such things?...

No, but it's incredibly naive to think it'll happen.

If that is the case, why buy brief timed exclusivity for Tomb Raider? I wonder where the games are coming from. Scalebound, Crackdown, Gears etc are surely further out.

Well, its a fair point but whatever the discussions with Square Enix were, it seems the game was available for this exclusivity and MS went for it.

Crystal Dynamics are a big studio with a big franchise, I think MS took the opportunity because its a big name and they knew it was going to hit that date. Its not going to be detrimental to them to have it exclusively on Xbox, for obvious reasons, more games, especially big names and having a lot of them will give the Xbox One a great line-up and give people plenty of reasons to jump in.

If they have some titles that could ship next holiday and be good/very good but with a little extra polish (and knowing you'll have a lot of titles around that time a year in advance gives them a better chance to adjust scope, possibly) and a delay could make them "great" then I think thats a good problem to have.

Gears Collection possibly, Fable Legends is due at some point next year? Rare's title is "deep in development", Scalebound's anticipated release date is unclear... could be many things.

PressPlay, Twisted Pixel are up to new stuff as well

well they already have

halo 5
tomb raider
quantum break

QB does not have a fall date,just 2015,could be anytime really.

2thepoint

I'm curious, share holders weren't happy with the XBO division so i don't think they're taking all of the money that's beeing burned in trying to correct the ship too kindly, i hope it's not a sin to wonder about such things?...

It seems Nadella has a renewed interest in Xbox and gaming as a whole - the $2 Billion acquisition of Mojang and countless promotions for Xbox One illustrates that fact.

Even if the Xbox division is a money sinkhole right now, that doesn't seem to be stopping executive management from throwing truckloads of cash at Xbox - they must have faith in the product, which is good for gamers and fans of Xbox alike.

Overcrowding hasn't stop any company before.

So what I'm expecting now is announcement of games that will come in the "fall" with all the intentions of having them really be Spring 2016 but "overcrowding".

USC-fan

Banned
Surprise they plan to have a huge dead zone in 2015 until fall. He wasnt kidding we he said holiday only matter or something like that.

Surprise they plan to have a huge dead zone in 2015 until fall. He wasnt kidding we he said holiday only matter or something like that.

I don't think it was deliberate, Quantum Break was presumably considered for around that time but its good they're giving games the time they need if they're not going to be ready

Really nice to hear that Sunset sales are off to a good start, hopefully it keeps up.

Yeh, that was good to see

Overcrowding hasn't stop any company before.

So what I'm expecting now is announcement of games that will come in the "fall" with all the intentions of having them really be Spring 2016 but "overcrowding".

Well, theres having a big line-up with 4/5 games (Halo 5, Forza 6, TR, QB, FL, SB) then you can still have overkill if you get more than that and money is spread too thin then in 2016 if they have a gap so if you can delay something for a bit extra, you can. I doubt MS will announce anything for Fall with the deliberate intention of delaying it, if they know they have too much now for something that is unannounced then I suspect they'll decide to delay it before they announce it

anthonyOA

Well, its a fair point but whatever the discussions with Square Enix were, it seems the game was available for this exclusivity and MS went for it.

Crystal Dynamics are a big studio with a big franchise, I think MS took the opportunity because its a big name and they knew it was going to hit that date. Its not going to be detrimental to them to have it exclusively on Xbox, for obvious reasons, more games, especially big names and having a lot of them will give the Xbox One a great line-up and give people plenty of reasons to jump in.

If they have some titles that could ship next holiday and be good/very good but with a little extra polish (and knowing you'll have a lot of titles around that time a year in advance gives them a better chance to adjust scope, possibly) and a delay could make them "great" then I think thats a good problem to have.

not too sure why folks can't wrap their head around this point? The queries appears in every Phil Spencer thread.

Good interview anyways.

Hoping for some surprises next year at E3 (FH2 style). Quantum break is an insta-buy for me, as is Scalebound. Both from two reliable studios. I'm hoping for more though.

Yeah they really need to get better at pacing stuff through the year. Holiday 15 should be Halo 5 and Tomb Raider with games like scalebound, quantum break, fable, screamride and whatever surprises releasing during the year. There is no reason for a summer drought in gaming.

VinFTW

Rough start for Xbox One no doubt. It won't win this generation for sure, but if he can build up a solid foundation of new services (rumored BC/streaming on PC), add new studios, build new IPs, then maybe the "next-box" will fare better.

I'm very, very happy with my Xbox One this year so far and I'm excited to see where it'll go from here.

gg so far Phil Spencer.

Top Bottom