• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on Major Nelson's Podcast

Bsigg12

Nice interview.
They mentioned Marty O'Donnell and Joe Staten when discussing the Halo doc.
I gotta believe Marty and Joe are involved in Halo 5 some way. They have to be!
Joe is already employed by Microsoft and Marty is a free agent, it's definitely possible.

If I remember correctly, Joe is supposed to be helping on any Microsoft Studios project in regards to the story as he's the Senior Creative Director so there's a chance he's taken a look at Halo 5 as well as Scalebound and Crackdown.

As for Marty, I don't know if he would come back to Halo exclusively after working on it for so long. I could see him doing a song or two though as a guest appearance.

kevin1025

Banned
That's way too packed for Fall. That would be horrible if they do that.

He did say it was packed. It's just wishful thinking on my part. But with all of those studios, there should be plenty coming.

As for Rare, in a previous interview he said they have been working on something for a while now, and the way it was worded was that they had some time on a project that is technically a pitch but also more than that as well. It's possible for them to have a 18 month window, if they started once Rivals was finished. Again, probably wishful thinking, but you never know!

I think we all know he was apart of that last group. We also know he was following orders. I think it's undeniable he has a different focus for Xbox than the last group.
so he was part of the top management and not responsible for/involved in the decisions made?
What a dream job....

abadguy

Banned
are you denying that they are not bleeding money in order to stay competitive?

They had to drop the system in price a second time just to get me to purchase it

I know this is a praise phil thread, but he comes across like he is always hiding something, only time will tell though

No this is a thread about a Major Nelson podcast in which Phil is being interviewed. Also how dose one "come across like they're hiding something" anyway? To me he came across like he was giving an interview and promoting the brand, which is you know...his job.

If I remember correctly, Joe is supposed to be helping on any Microsoft Studios project in regards to the story as he's the Senior Creative Director so there's a chance he's taken a look at Halo 5 as well as Scalebound and Crackdown.

As for Marty, I don't know if he would come back to Halo exclusively after working on it for so long. I could see him doing a song or two though as a guest appearance.

Yeah right on his LinkedIn page lists that he had some involvement in SO and Scalebound.

rokkerkory

I totally trust Phil... I hope he brings Xbox back to glory days (ie Halo 2 and early 360 days zomg).

Right now they have a very tough battle and I think it is OK for them to come in a strong second place finish behind PS4... just keep the focus on games and driving down price and the gamers will come.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
They've been saying they have more to say on Windows gaming since 2006, so glad to see they will deliver next year. /s

Yep. I'm done hoping that Microsoft ever treats PC gaming as anything serious ever again. It's been too long and too many "more coming soon" statements over the past decade. I'll only believe it when I actually see it now, not hear it.

Yep. I'm done hoping that Microsoft ever treats PC gaming as anything serious ever again. It's been too long and too many "more coming soon" statements over the past decade. I'll only believe it when I actually see it now, not hear it.

To be fair it wasn't Phil saying it all those times ; )

Phil talks about how they moved on for Holiday 2015 and E3 2015. He said next Fall will be crazy and doesn't even know how they will ship all the games they are planning for the Fall. Said it was possible that they might have to move some games so they wouldn't be overcrowding (starts around 36:15).

LOL, sure thing Phil.

I think the guy talks a very good talk, but I'm not sure about much beyond that. Will be an interesting couple of years, for sure.

Bgamer90

Banned
Pretty much, Forza 6 is coming next year.

Yeah, I can't see them breaking away from the "every two years" schedule. They seem pretty comfortable with it. Hoping for some big changes -- liked Forza 5 but thought it was disappointing too. Night and weather racing better be in there.

Yeah, I can't see them breaking away from the "every two years" schedule. They seem pretty comfortable with it. Hoping for some big changes -- liked Forza 5 but thought it was disappointing too. Night and weather racing better be in there.

I thought Forza 5 had its shortcomings but it was good for a launch title.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
To be fair it wasn't Phil saying it all those times ; )

No, it wasn't. But actions do speak louder than words, and do far there hasn't been any action at all to support any claim that MS takes PC gaming with any level of seriousness yet. Not any action at all.

I really like him and feel much better about Xbox with him in charge than the last group (who clearly didn't get it).

I'm still hoping Phantom Dust makes it out next year.
Yeah but I also don't want it to get mixed up with the loads of games coming Holiday 2015. I mean Uncharted, Halo, tomb raider, COD, Battlefront, and more unannounced heavy hitters I'm sure.

The idea of a game like phantom dust flopping like it did originally almost makes me want to cry.

The game is just so damn good. It deserves a marketing push.

Also, to all the GAF people out there who here random people talking up this game please pay attention. Phantom Dust is really that good.

Aeqvitas

so he was part of the top management and not responsible for/involved in the decisions made?
What a dream job....

what the fuck kind of comment is this? You do know that their is a hierarchy of authority. You clearly have zero experience in a business or management setting. He would be responsible for what he was in charge of, namely securing content for MS. You just sound like a dolt claiming that he was secretly in power and could have done anything he wanted for a project the was Don's baby. The people who have the power to make the ultimate decisions are the ones who bear the ultimate responsibility. This is just basic level concepts.

Subordinate team members can voice their input, but cannot control projects. If you speak up too loudly against what the lead wants, you even risk losing your job sometimes. The person who bears all the responsibility for decisions is the head. In this case, Don Mattrick. If you listen to Phil in his recent interview on IGN, he explains that somethings he may have done different if he had the power, but because of the power of hindsight, it is difficult to say.

Not sure who is expecting a miracle within 7 months, I'd like to know.
Exactly what I say. He did the obvious stuff, and nor even record-breakingly fast. He made the Xbox technically (no kinect) and philosophicly (gamesgamesgames) a me-too-product and let the already set-in-stone timeline of heavy-hitting games work for him.
that is all fine and in my opinion the 100% correct way to do it. but it is no masterpiece of insight or management quality.

The people who have the power to make the ultimate decisions are the ones who bear the ultimate responsibility. This is just basic level concepts.

Whilst I'm not putting anything on anyone in particular, notice how Don and Marc Whitten (Chief Product Officer) have both left Microsoft - Whitten seemingly left quite abruptly too and then almost immediately after Phil was given the job as Head of Xbox.

New CEO comes in, the direction of the division changes and two personnel who were obviously very key in the Xbox One development of the product and its focus (design of the box, specs and its direction) are both gone.

Phil was obviously at the table, he's said he was no-one is denying it but his job was to get first party content on the console, I think he's done a great job of that and seemingly Satya does too, because he promoted him.

Some people are keen to put blame on him for whatever reason, when it seems obvious that yes he was part of that group, but I highly doubt he was given a specific amount of authority over anything outside of signing games because he presumably would be too busy doing his own job, not other peoples.

rokkerkory

Exactly what I say. He did the obvious stuff, and nor even record-breakingly fast. He made the Xbox technically (no kinect) and philosophicly (gamesgamesgames) a me-too-product and let the already set-in-stone timeline of heavy-hitting games work for him.
that is all fine and in my opinion the 100% correct way to do it. but it is no masterpiece of insight or management quality.

Correcting course for a division as big as Xbox within a few months is FAST especially within a company as big as MS with so many moving parts. Anyone who has worked in a large company can attest to this.

The road is long, he's off to a good start but it's just a start. He needs to keep on bringing the goods which are games. From what we've seen in 7 months, the focus has been on games which is a fundamental shift from X1's ideology.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Phil has been killing it lately. Shame Sony has has such crap support for the PS4 after release. The XBone has has consistent support every month and SO, D4, and Killer Instinct are great great games. I probably won't be getting neither of them but 2014 was definitely a huge turnaround for the Xbox brand.

what the fuck (...) You clearly have zero experience (...) You just sound like a dolt (...)
Okay, you got me. I have never been on the top management level of a multinational billion-dollar-company. sorry to state my opinion. i am always grateful to get deep first-hand insights from experts. and to refresh my vocabulary. dolt. I have to remember that.

back to topic. always thought that those decisions were made using old school tool like meetings and discussions, consulting marketers shareholders, technicians and fortune tellers. but it seems that i was wrong and it was all the Don alone, sitting in his ivory tower, doors locked and not listening to spencer, who knew the truth and mourned and griefed.
what a blessing that the tyrant is gone now.

theWB27

What a dream job....

I'm just going to quote Aeqvitas because this response is nonsense.

what the fuck kind of comment is this? You do know that their is a hierarchy of authority. You clearly have zero experience in a business or management setting. He would be responsible for what he was in charge of, namely securing content for MS. You just sound like a dolt claiming that he was secretly in power and could have done anything he wanted for a project the was Don's baby. The people who have the power to make the ultimate decisions are the ones who bear the ultimate responsibility. This is just basic level concepts.

Subordinate team members can voice their input, but cannot control projects. If you speak up too loudly against what the lead wants, you even risk losing your job sometimes. The person who bears all the responsibility for decisions is the head. In this case, Don Mattrick. If you listen to Phil in his recent interview on IGN, he explains that somethings he may have done different if he had the power, but because of the power of hindsight, it is difficult to say.

It's nice to spew 20/20 bs. We've seen plenty of companies in gaming not make that so "obvious choice." We've also seen changes take allot longer to implement.

Okay, you got me. I have never been on the top management level of a multinational billion-dollar-company. sorry to state my opinion. i am always grateful to get deep first-hand insights from experts. and to refresh my vocabulary. dolt. I have to remember that.

back to topic. always thought that those decisions were made using old school tool like meetings and discussions, consulting marketers shareholders, technicians and fortune tellers. but it seems that i was wrong and it was all the Don alone, sitting in his ivory tower, doors locked and not listening to spencer, who knew the truth and mourned and griefed.
what a blessing that the tyrant is gone now.

And now you're being an ass. Pretending you don't understand that no matter how much power Phil had under Mattric...he still had to operate under the guidelines set forth by his boss.

It's nice to spew 20/20 bs. We've seen plenty of companies in gaming not make that so "obvious choice." We've also seen changes take allot longer to implement.

Okay, I got taken away by the fun of discussing things. did not want it to end in tears. apologise for any bad mood.
last things last:
I am sure that MS is not stupid. And I am sure that they already saw what was happening in the console race pretty soon after launch. The word of mouth, the sales numbers, the image problem - you name it. All problems condensed down to don mattricks sad face. he had to go, even if he saw the mistakes and took the right conclusions. people can learn of their faults. really. anyway, his name was burned.
But do you really think they throw out mattrick, install spencer and tell him: hey, surprise you are the new boss -- start thinking?
I am sure that all those decisions for the better were already made and prepared before spencer took over and were a pretty nice gift to get a good start. and it worked so far.
Kinect? we rip it off!
TVTV? From now on it's just games.
And, as we all know, the heavy focus on games and the classy line-up coming in must have been planned already a few years in advance, not just 7 months.
so it must have been mattricks success.
But, you say, spencer was head of this department.
Yeah, but he could not decide anything anyway (so I learned).

JLeack

Banned
I totally trust Phil... I hope he brings Xbox back to glory days (ie Halo 2 and early 360 days zomg).

Right now they have a very tough battle and I think it is OK for them to come in a strong second place finish behind PS4... just keep the focus on games and driving down price and the gamers will come.

The thing that many are forgetting is that you can be great without being a top seller. I mean, just look at the Wii U. That's a console I absolutely love, and it's selling as if it were trash.

Popularity contests are never the one and only indicator of success.

kevin1025

Banned
Okay, I got taken away by the fun of discussing things. did not want it to end in tears. apologise for any bad mood.
last things last:
I am sure that MS is not stupid. And I am sure that they already saw what was happening in the console race pretty soon after launch. The word of mouth, the sales numbers, the image problem - you name it. All problems condensed down to don mattricks sad face. he had to go, even if he saw the mistakes and took the right conclusions. people can learn of their faults. really. anyway, his name was burned.
But do you really think they throw out mattrick, install spencer and tell him: hey, surprise you are the new boss -- start thinking?
I am sure that all those decisions for the better were already made and prepared before spencer took over and were a pretty nice gift to get a good start. and it worked so far.
Kinect? we rip it off!
And, as we all know, the heavy focus on games and the classy line-up coming in must have been planned already a few years in advance, not just 7 months.

I think you're right in that some of these decisions were being made before Mattrick left, but I think it was in the sense that they asked maybe Spencer, maybe someone else or a whole committee setting what the best choices moving forward were. They likely felt that the Kinect and TV thing, while they were good ideas, weren't what the brand was necessarily known for. Ever since the changeover, the realigning to games, games, games has started building up good graces again, and Spencer at the head is good faith.

theWB27

last things last:
Kinect? we rip it off!

Being in charge of games, which Phil was before his promotion and has allot to do with those games we're getting now, is far different from being charge of Xbox. You've seen the difference in Mattricks decisions and Phil's.

JaggedSac

They've delivered this holiday season. FH2, SO have both been incredible, I am certain that MCC will be incredible as well. Very nice 1,2,3 for Sept, Oct, Nov. Looking forward to what they have in store for next year.

Dear Phil,

My shelf has too much backlog for Xbox One. Stop making good games please.

Slow it down!

Just kidding,
scytherage

Phil talks about working with Ted Price. Glad that Insomniac was able to make a game they wanted.

You can tell. Really glad they gave them the opportunity. A gaming landscape without Sunset is a poor, barren, lifeless one.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I think you're right in that some of these decisions were being made before Mattrick left, but I think it was in the sense that they asked maybe Spencer, maybe someone else or a whole committee setting what the best choices moving forward were. They likely felt that the Kinect and TV thing, while they were good ideas, weren't what the brand was necessarily known for. Ever since the changeover, the realigning to games, games, games has started building up good graces again, and Spencer at the head is good faith.

It's actually very likely that Spencer may have been in charge unofficially when everyone internally knew Mattrick was leaving -- just because Spencer was announced Head of Xbox publically doesn't necessarily mean that that's when he first started that role. There was likely, I presume, a transition process. Unless there's evidence to the contrary, I think Spencer was in charge of turning the Xbox brand around. I mean, I own both consoles, so I don't think it's an unfair statement to say that Sony obviously started off extremely strong but I think Microsoft has had by far the better post launch support. Obviously, Spencer is not doing his job out of the goodness of his heart -- he is still part of a business -- but it's also easy to see that he is still very much passionate about games and his leadership of the Xbox brand since he got the position definitely attests to that.

It's actually very likely that Spencer may have been in charge unofficially when everyone internally knew Mattrick was leaving -- just because Spencer was announced Head of Xbox publically doesn't necessarily mean that that's when he first started that role. There was likely, I presume, a transition process. Unless there's evidence to the contrary, I think Spencer was in charge of turning the Xbox brand around. I mean, I own both consoles, so I don't think it's an unfair statement to say that Sony obviously started off extremely strong but I think Microsoft has had by far the better post launch support. Obviously, Spencer is not doing his job out of the goodness of his heart -- he is still part of a business -- but it's also easy to see that he is still very much passionate about games and his leadership of the Xbox brand since he got the position definitely attests to that.

When Phil Spencer took over as Head of Xbox, he essentially took Marc Whitten's job as the OS update team now reports to him which they didn't do before and also Marc Whitten was the face of that side, so I don't think he had as much control as he does now.

kevin1025

Banned

Very true. I was very much in the Sony camp for the start of this gen, but now I find myself on the Xbox One substantially more. The brand and the passion has landed me to play on there more, and things like the Rewards gets me to buy digitally when before I was all about physical (outside of Steam). I really like the direction that Xbox is heading,.

Have you worked somewhere where you were not in charge? It can be a real challenge to change things if everyone else is drinking the cool-aid. If he was a believer is some of the things they wanted to do you wouldn't guess that now, based on actions not words.
fair enough. I know this situation with incompetent leaders and cowardly devote management below. that's why i left for a better place.
for xbox, there is still work to do and rotten apples to sort out. will be interesting to watch if spencer is really as good as many here state already.

Phil Spencer said:
Talks about gaming on Windows. Will have more to say in 2015

I feel confident enough to predict that he will carry on promising to talk about gaming on Windows in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 etc etc . Still it is another item to add to the bullet list of bullshit from Microsoft with regards to PC gaming.

Top Bottom