• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on Major Nelson's Podcast

so he was part of the top management and not responsible for/involved in the decisions made?
What a dream job....

Phil's team delivered though. SO, FH2, MCC, Fantasia,Titanfall, etc. Those came out of his teams.
He wasn't atop hardware, or TV. So I can see where people are coming from.

A FULL Halo collection, which is a tremendous undertaking versus a Halo 2 Anniversary alone, and Scalebound were not predictable.

Well I'm entitled to my opinion, I don't agree with you . I would of actually liked to have seen gameplay of Scalebound but again like E3 has become, non gameplay trailers, that to me is predictable.

I never saw anyone predicting what happened with Tomb Raider.

No neither did I. At Gamescom

Scalebound were not predictable.

Really? I think the broad definition of something like "new AAA IP" a year is pretty predictable.

We're early in a generation. Good time to establish new franchises/ideas. Desire for new IP to be associated with new gen.

I personally think that MS and Sony will both announce at least one new 'AAA' IP every year for the next 3 years. Whether that sustains beyond that, who knows.

It's actually very likely that Spencer may have been in charge unofficially when everyone internally knew Mattrick was leaving -- just because Spencer was announced Head of Xbox publically doesn't necessarily mean that that's when he first started that role. There was likely, I presume, a transition process. Unless there's evidence to the contrary, I think Spencer was in charge of turning the Xbox brand around. I mean, I own both consoles, so I don't think it's an unfair statement to say that Sony obviously started off extremely strong but I think Microsoft has had by far the better post launch support. Obviously, Spencer is not doing his job out of the goodness of his heart -- he is still part of a business -- but it's also easy to see that he is still very much passionate about games and his leadership of the Xbox brand since he got the position definitely attests to that.

I think its obvious that Phil was going to take over based on him being the one to announce the price of the console. That was something that Mattrick would have done in the past. If I remember correctly after the MGSV trailer Mattrick never showed up in the conference again.

spwolf

I feel confident enough to predict that he will carry on promising to talk about gaming on Windows in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 etc etc . Still it is another item to add to the bullet list of bullshit from Microsoft with regards to PC gaming.

sometimes it seems like they want to kill off their most important product, doesnt it?
But after bad market reaction, Windows 10 seems like a big step in good direction.

Top Bottom