• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on Major Nelson's Podcast

USC-fan

Banned
Yeah they really need to get better at pacing stuff through the year. Holiday 15 should be Halo 5 and Tomb Raider with games like scalebound, quantum break, fable, screamride and whatever surprises releasing during the year. There is no reason for a summer drought in gaming.
Was talkimg about this in another thread. With the temp holiday bundle and price drop. They could have a big drop in sale in 2015 if it goes back to $399 without a game. Then you have no first party releases until back half of 2015.

Ps4 2015 is loaded.... should be fun to watch npd in 2015.

jbug617

Banned
I'm curious, share holders weren't happy with the XBO division so i don't think they're taking all of the money that's beeing burned in trying to correct the ship too kindly, i hope it's not a sin to wonder about such things?...

There is a mention about Microsoft last quarter but it was to mention about how good the hardware side did with shipping consoles and Surface Pro 3.

Was talkimg about this in another thread. With the temp holiday bundle and price drop. They could have a big drop in sale in 2015 if it goes back to $399 without a game. Then you have no first party releases until back half of 2015.

Ps4 2015 is loaded.... should be fun to watch npd in 2015.

We don't know if there isn't any first part the first half. I wouldn't be surprised if that phantom dust game comes in spring.

Nice interview.
They mentioned Marty O'Donnell and Joe Staten when discussing the Halo doc.
I gotta believe Marty and Joe are involved in Halo 5 some way. They have to be!
Joe is already employed by Microsoft and Marty is a free agent, it's definitely possible.

image.php

Sunset Overdrive is Amazing, and they are giving it away, go, go, go!

Whoa!, first avatar quote!!!

No, but it's incredibly naive to think it'll happen.

I still wish i could know, nosey as i am and all...

It seems Nadella has a renewed interest in Xbox and gaming as a whole - the $2 Billion acquisition of Mojang and countless promotions for Xbox One illustrates that fact.

Even if the Xbox division is a money sinkhole right now, that doesn't seem to be stopping executive management from throwing truckloads of cash at Xbox - they must have faith in the product, which is good for gamers and fans of Xbox alike.

Seems like it.

RoKKeR

Nice interview.
They mentioned Marty O'Donnell and Joe Staten when discussing the Halo doc.
I gotta believe Marty and Joe are involved in Halo 5 some way. They have to be!
Joe is already employed by Microsoft and Marty is a free agent, it's definitely possible.

I don't want to get ahead of myself but the starts are beginning to align just a little bit...

Would be so amazing.

kevin1025

Banned
I'm guessing we get Quantum Break in September, Forza 6 and a Rare game in October, Halo in the post-COD week and Tomb Raider in November. Maybe a Gears Collection in September as well. Fable Legends will probably be June or July. The other months will be used on multiplatform games and the ID@Xbox indies to fill in the gaps. I think Xbox has a strong year ahead.

Twisted Pixel's game, Press Play's game, and Fable Legends for the first half of 2015 is my guess. Lift London as well but I'm not sure if they're working on a X1 release.

m23

I'm guessing we get Quantum Break in September, Forza 6 and a Rare game in October, Halo in the post-COD week and Tomb Raider in November. Maybe a Gears Collection in September as well. Fable Legends will probably be June or July. The other months will be used on multiplatform games and the ID@Xbox indies to fill in the gaps. I think Xbox has a strong year ahead.

That's way too packed for Fall. That would be horrible if they do that.

jesu

Yeah they really need to get better at pacing stuff through the year. Holiday 15 should be Halo 5 and Tomb Raider with games like scalebound, quantum break, fable, screamride and whatever surprises releasing during the year. There is no reason for a summer drought in gaming.

Screamride is Spring.

I think the Rare game is 2016.
Phil said he's going to visit them this month to look at their game pitch, so I'd assume it's going to be a while before we see that game.

Jigorath

Banned

Rare only just released Kinect Sports Rivals. How in the world are they going to have a new game ready for next year?

USC-fan

Banned
Did he say "good" in the interview? Normally, a PR-guy like him should say great, phantastic or flying off the shelves...
Hope that doesn't really mean he is disappointed.
Sale projections can be insane for video games. So good to them might look like great to us. But we really do not have any idea the budgets for these games.

The could be wanting gears number out of this game. It is their big title this fall.

I just do not understand why they didnt have this bundle for all of holiday. It already very hard to find and the $50 off sale hasnt even started.

BokehKing

Banned
......Is this real?

are you denying that they are not bleeding money in order to stay competitive?

They had to drop the system in price a second time just to get me to purchase it

I know this is a praise phil thread, but he comes across like he is always hiding something, only time will tell though

Isn't rare four teams? Or did they trim down?

Well game production requires more people to make big titles than it did when Rare were 4 teams in 2006 (and for a few years afterwards)

When OXM went to Rare in March, their office made of 4 barns, 3 weren't accessible because of unannounced stuff.

I suspect (and some on here said before) they're doing something with their new avatar technology to put it into the console OS but I wouldn't expect them to be making more than 1 game at the moment

wwm0nkey

are you denying that they are not bleeding money in order to stay competitive?

They had to drop the system in price a second time just to get me to purchase it

I know this is a praise phil thread, but he comes across like he is always hiding something, only time will tell though
This is a major nelson podcast, not a meeting about financial statuses.

Ndless

Banned
Yeah, them winning this gen is simply not happening. But I'm glad they have regained the spirit that made Xbox as great as last gen, even though they seemingly lost it during the One's reveal.

The underdog mentality is what hit Sony last gen too, and the sense of humility that invariably came out of that has been nothing but good for gamers. I hope the same happens to MS and its fans (as we've seen a glimpse of in the form of frequent updates), but I hope that it doesn't stop there, and that it doesn't take a whole generation for MS to really start capitalizing on what made them once synonymous to gaming: PC & Xbox.

Investing in more first party studios (maybe even in some sort of exclusive form of OS cross-play between these two through some kind of Xbox Live-like, Windows-only, Steam-like platform) is the next best logical step. There's just too many (gaming-related) possibilities that have been overlooked due to the greed and pomposity. But I think we're getting there.

Sale projections can be insane for video games. So good to them might look like great to us. But we really do not have any idea the budgets for these games.

The could be wanting gears number out of this game. It is their big title this fall.

I just do not understand why they didnt have this bundle for all of holiday. It already very hard to find and the $50 off sale hasnt even started.
Sunset overdrive is not their big title. MCC is. And Call of duty.
Sunset Overdrive is more of a prestige-and-diversity-thing.

Lynn616

I'm curious, share holders weren't happy with the XBO division so i don't think they're taking all of the money that's beeing burned in trying to correct the ship too kindly, i hope it's not a sin to wonder about such things?...

Really? How do you know that? How would they know the Xbox was losing money? All we know is that the Division has a positive gross margin. That is all we know.

RoKKeR

GAF shoutout in the podcast, nice.

But they do not even have a bundle in na for halo.

Only bundles are third party games. Very strange imo.

They don't need a bundle to sell a fuck-ton of Halo, it will do that on it's own. They want to promote a new IP, something that's different and adds some diversity to the Xbox brand. Halo is a given... they'll go all out for Halo 5 next year.

But they do not even have a bundle in na for halo.

Only bundles are third party games. Very strange imo.
I agree. This is absoultely strange.
If microsoft loses the holiday season, there will be some questioning if they really bundled the right games and if MCC would not have been a better fit.

Phreaker

I really like him and feel much better about Xbox with him in charge than the last group (who clearly didn't get it).

I'm still hoping Phantom Dust makes it out next year.

USC-fan

Banned
Sunset is first-party.
You cannot find them. It already sold out and it not even close to black friday. Really outside holiday sales, sale starts this week. Some people getting lucky and getting it priced matched.

Maybe they have something else planned.

Chris1

Phil talks about how they moved on for Holiday 2015 and E3 2015. He said next Fall will be crazy and doesn't even know how they will ship all the games they are planning for the Fall. Said it was possible that they might have to move some games so they wouldn't be overcrowding (starts around 36:15).

Ok now I'm excited. If the games are of the same quality as the exclusives released this year, MS should have an exceptional 2015, which is kind of funny after seeing all the "MS is doomed 2015 topics"

mrklaw

MrArseFace
MS under pressure is good for everyone. If they have a fall 2015 so full of great games that some get pushed to Q1 2016, that sounds fantastic. I'd say quantum Break might be a candidate for that.

Can't wait to see what they have to bring.

VinFTW

Phil talks about how they moved on for Holiday 2015 and E3 2015. He said next Fall will be crazy and doesn't even know how they will ship all the games they are planning for the Fall. Said it was possible that they might have to move some games so they wouldn't be overcrowding (starts around 36:15).

Ok now I'm excited. If the games are of the same quality as the exclusives released this year, MS should have an exceptional 2015, which is kind of funny after seeing all the "MS is doomed 2015 topics"

I agree with you, but I don't think anybody was saying "MS is doomed in 2015" especially since Halo 5 is releasing. I think most people were just saying that early 2015 is heavily Sony territory with Bloodborne and The Order.

We don't know if there isn't any first part the first half. I wouldn't be surprised if that phantom dust game comes in spring.
As much as I would love Phantom Dust in spring being that it is my favorite game of all time, I don't see it happening. Its holiday 2015 at the earliest unless they were working on it sooner than we thought.

Top Bottom