• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Raptomex

I thought it may be the best move. How do you like it so far? I broke out my old Driving Force Pro just to try pCARS on my new rig, and it was awesome. I can only imagine with an actual clutch and manual gearbox!
Well it works great but I'd highly recommend you have something to mount the wheel on at the very least. That's why I built my racing rig. You can always just get a playseat or stand. Though, I found them to be quite expensive.

Oh, if you have a PS4 just note that the G27 won't work on it. I think it might be all current Logitech wheels. Something to do with a chip not being supported or something. No idea if this is still an issue.

Ark

I've just ordered the Ferrari GTE T300RS to replace my five-year old DFGT :D Should be here on Saturday apparently, can't wait.

I've just ordered the Ferrari GTE T300RS to replace my five-year old DFGT :D Should be here on Saturday apparently, can't wait.
Aw yiss.
gpler.gif

lem0n

Well it works great but I'd highly recommend you have something to mount the wheel on at the very least. That's why I built my racing rig. You can always just get a playseat or stand. Though, I found them to be quite expensive.

Oh, if you have a PS4 just note that the G27 won't work on it. I think it might be all current Logitech wheels. Something to do with a chip not being supported or something. No idea if this is still an issue.
I actually built one last year, but I will need to modify it to house the shifter. I was using a DFP and the shifter was on the main part. I have an XB1 so no worries. I wish Fanatec wheels were cheaper, wouldnt mind cruising around Horizon 2 with a wheel eventually.

Thanks! I already have a set of CSP V2's for the PC, but I might just mod them anyway when GT7 finally comes around.

Ah, I think I probably knew that, but forgot.

I was like jeez, this guy's competitive with those floppy DFGT pedals? If he ever gets a good set, he's going to own. :D

Raptomex

I actually built one last year, but I will need to modify it to house the shifter. I was using a DFP and the shifter was on the main part. I have an XB1 so no worries. I wish Fanatec wheels were cheaper, wouldnt mind cruising around Horizon 2 with a wheel eventually.
Now that my setup is complete I want to catch up on rFactor 2, Grand Prix Legends, and GT6 among others.

Ark

Ah, I think I probably knew that, but forgot.

I was like jeez, this guy's competitive with those floppy DFGT pedals? If he ever gets a good set, he's going to own. :D

Haha! I hope to be competitive one day :p

I've actually got a week off work in two weeks and I plan to start using iSpeed to see if I can improve.

Watevaman

I like how many of the iRacing crew can barely hide their smiles when talking about their mobile platform.

Reiza have a giveaway on Twitter too - https://twitter.com/ReizaStudios/status/581805918209372160 (this is not an April fool's joke). They draw the prizes tomorrow.

Well apparently my Twitter account has disappeared, so I guess I'm out of this. I'm planning on picking it up anyway when I have access to my wheel again, but it would be cool to enter.

MaxiLive

Why not, surely the interwebs could do with a little fun just for one day! One day trolling can be acceptable and humorous.

Ok guys I have a confession to make... I never actually learned how to use a H-Shifter with Clutch...

I think it's time to finally fix that. That fucking amazing video finally pushed me over the edge.

Not too sure what would be the best way to do it.... I don't want to start with a crazy fast car in pCARS or something lol... Maybe with like a Civic in Horizon 2?

Unrelated, but dat pCARS understeer. Not all the cars are that bad, but too many of them are. Dumping in ton of lock and waiting for the front end to hook up is not a good look. I have no idea if that's his setup, or the default one, or if the front tires are killed after 10 minutes, but it is a gross way to extract a laptime. No knock on him though, it's fast. It looks like how Alonso used to drive the Renault. I think that's Digi's style too, but if you watch his other videos from different sims, or occasionally different cars within pCARS, he pares it way back.

Ok guys I have a confession to make... I never actually learned how to use a H-Shifter with Clutch...

I think it's time to finally fix that. That fucking amazing video finally pushed me over the edge.

Not too sure what would be the best way to do it.... I don't want to start with a crazy fast car in pCARS or something lol... Maybe with like a Civic in Horizon 2?
I'd suggest the Alfa Giulietta in Assetto Corsa, if you want to learn in a conventional road car. Or maybe the Lotus Elise SC if you want something more communicative and RWD but not too mad.

Ark

My T300RS arrived today! It's mega, but the FFB in iRacing feels extremely lacking compared to my DFGT. Obviously I just haven't got the settings right or something; I'm not feeling the curbs, grass, or the rear dropping away from me.

Any ideas? I haven't found much through my Google-fu.

My T300RS arrived today! It's mega, but the FFB in iRacing feels extremely lacking compared to my DFGT. Obviously I just haven't got the settings right or something; I'm not feeling the curbs, grass, or the rear dropping away from me.

Any ideas? I haven't found much through my Google-fu.

You're probably much better off braving the terrible search waters of the official forums rather than Googs.

Here are a couple of good places to start:

The all singing and dancing "current state of ffb suggestions thread"

T300 thread (a TX thread or even T500 thread can probably substitute as well)

That said, the smooth ffb of a belt does have a different feeling to gears. You'll have an adjustment period.

Ark

You're probably much better off braving the terrible search waters of the official forums rather than Googs.

Here are a couple of good places to start:

The all singing and dancing "current state of ffb suggestions thread"

T300 thread (a TX thread or even T500 thread can probably substitute as well)

That said, the smooth ffb of a belt does have a different feeling to gears. You'll have an adjustment period.

Hmm, I still can't figure out how to make the bumps feel pronounced. I'm really not feeling anything there :L Other than that, it's INCREDIBLE. WOW. Such an immediate improvement over my DFGT.

This thing is louder than my actual rig though LOL.

EDIT: I've been using this thing for a couple hours straight now and I'm loving it. It's going to take a little white to get used to it and to fine-tune the FFB, but oh man was this purchase worth it.

TJP

Dirt 3 is finally GFWL free and CM even gave all its user base all of the Dirt 3 DLC free. If you have Dirt 3 in your library, you should see a new entry called 'complete edition'. If this is the 'new' Codemasters, I'll be happy to support them again.

I see AC just announced a licencing deal for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqVgIKu_F9c

Shaneus

Dirt 3 is finally GFWL free and CM even gave all its user base all of the Dirt 3 DLC free. If you have Dirt 3 in your library, you should see a new entry called 'complete edition'. If this is the 'new' Codemasters, I'll be happy to support them again.
I'd just be grateful if Codies gave us a non-shit F1 game this year.

Watevaman

This will create a new directory, right? So I would have to copy my Dirt 3 mods over?

TJP

I'd just be grateful if Codies gave us a non-shit F1 game this year.
Hahaha! Best joke of the morning.

Whilst I'm chuffed Dirt 3 finally shed the GFWL DRM, CM aren't back in my good books just yet. They might be if they can ship an F1 game that isn't a dog's breakfast on launch. Let's not forget the leaked documents from CM contained this gem: "We’re moving some of our focus onto the 2016 title, while still working on fine-tuning features in 2015". Plus CM are said to be mixing 2014 with 2015 cars at release...

F1 2015 does look pretty and as a DC fan, you know this is all that matters at launch

/sarcasm ;)

TJP

This will create a new directory, right? So I would have to copy my Dirt 3 mods over?
Most likely as the 'complete edition' a seperate & distinct release on Steam.

Your save game won't work though as CM stated:
Due to the differences with the two versions unfortunately your save files will not be compatible with each other. We know it sucks and we are sorry but it was unavoidable.

More here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/321040/discussions/0/611702631209231799/

Megasoum

Banned
I'm really in the mood for a rally game nowadays but after trying F1 2014 last week, I don't feel like playing another EGO Engine game...

Watevaman

But Dirt 3 is awesome.

I will be disappointed my save isn't compatible. I think I spent a good chunk of time getting good scores on all that Gymkhana stuff.

Megasoum

Banned
But Dirt 3 is awesome.

I will be disappointed my save isn't compatible. I think I spent a good chunk of time getting good scores on all that Gymkhana stuff.

I might try it at some point but it just pisses me of that it doesn't recognize the wheel in the menus and also the stupid EGO bug that's been in every single Cody games since Dirt 1 where the game goes to windowed mode 800X600 when you alt-tab.

Now I've got my internet connection back and have been catching up on the updates:

-The 4 stroke SCE karts are my new favourite toys. Huge grin on my face for a couple of hours.
-SCE's CART Extreme mod at Road America is quite a challenge. It'll take a while for me to grow accustomed to the turbo lag.
-rF2's Dubai Autodrome seems quite good. Need more laps though to form an opinion as I've only watched the AI drive round so far.
-IZOD's Indycar series isn't up to the standard of Cart Extreme, but it's nice to have an rF2 alternative and Kentucky Speedway.

Just did a quick lap of Brands and oh my, rF2 looks like a modern sim! I can't believe the difference this makes. The mod needs to be made official ASAP. Note: I went from 70fps to 50 though and the front end was running at 4 lol, so there's still a few gremlins to find.

TJP

Not sure what I think of the fake DoF though. The bottom of the steering wheel should not be more out of focus than the top of it.
If anything this proves how a little post processing can make any game look sublime. If ISI have any brains, they'll get on board with this and optimise it for rF2.

Now I've got my internet connection back and have been catching up on the updates:

-The 4 stroke SCE karts are my new favourite toys. Huge grin on my face for a couple of hours.
-SCE's CART Extreme mod at Road America is quite a challenge. It'll take a while for me to grow accustomed to the turbo lag.
-rF2's Dubai Autodrome seems quite good. Need more laps though to form an opinion as I've only watched the AI drive round so far.
-IZOD's Indycar series isn't up to the standard of Cart Extreme, but it's nice to have an rF2 alternative and Kentucky Speedway.
SCE keeps getting better and it makes me appreciate the job ISI did with rFactor. CART Extreme is a heap of fun and Reiza helped with the physics too! Shaneus unearthed the possibility of Aussie V8's being made for SCE ;)

Just did a quick lap of Brands and oh my, rF2 looks like a modern sim! I can't believe the difference this makes. The mod needs to be made official ASAP. Note: I went from 70fps to 50 though and the front end was running at 4 lol, so there's still a few gremlins to find.
Yeah, the mod appears to be somewhat unoptimised based on the thread I linked to but boy does it make a difference to the look of rF2. I notice one of the artists from ISI asked for a thread to be created..who knows maybe ISI will utilise this post-processing in the future.

PS - are we getting that rant you promised to post about Assetto Corsa at some point?

Mascot

You'll hopefully love it. It adds an extra layer of control, involvement and immersion for me. Been playing GT6 too much lately with paddles (because clutch implementation in GT games is garbage) so need to get back to the h-gate in other games. It's so, so much better.

Just don't use the G25/27 shifter - it's a floppy shitfest.

Top Bottom