• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Megasoum

Banned
You'll hopefully love it. It adds an extra layer of control, involvement and immersion for me. Been playing GT6 too much lately with paddles (because clutch implementation in GT games is garbage) so need to get back to the h-gate in other games. It's so, so much better.

Just don't use the G25/27 shifter - it's a floppy shitfest.

Nah I have a TH8A Shifter.

Raptomex

I probably just suck but I want to confirm. Is there any instructions on the optimal set up for setting up the G27 wheel for rFactor/rFactor 2? The Logitech profiler and in-game settings. I'm pretty new to sim racing but I keep spinning off the track in rFactor 2. I'd like to know if I'm just terrible and/or settings need to be adjusted.

rF2 should have fairly decent default settings for a G27, assuming you're at full rotation in the driver. It should automatically give you the right lock per car. You might need to add some FFB smoothing if it's rattling over the kerbs, but too much can remove your feeling of connection. Make sure speed sensitive steering is off...

Raptomex

rF2 should have fairly decent default settings for a G27, assuming you're at full rotation in the driver. It should automatically give you the right lock per car. You might need to add some FFB smoothing if it's rattling over the kerbs, but too much can remove your feeling of connection. Make sure speed sensitive steering is off...
I'll play around with that then, thanks.

At default, or indeed using Tosch's suggestions, I think it looks pretty nasty, just like the SweetFX sharpening mods for DK2 in AC and iRacing. I don't understand this sharpening obsession at all, so that was the first thing to go. Then there's the vignette... I can take it or leave it. Off it goes. And the tilt shift - ridiculous. I've switched that off too.

So I'm left with colorhuefx, which desaturates everything apart from the sky. That's pretty good, as the greens and reds tend to appear a bit too vibrant at times in rF2. And finally the bloom, which has the effect of blurring the blue of the sky into the distant environment, which seems to create a slightly better 'distance haze' in some situations.

I'm not really seeing a dramatic change that marvelharvey describes...

It's a big framerate hit that doesn't seem to change based on how many effects are enabled, so I can't justify running it for what I have left, i.e. a bit of colour correction and bloom.

I've tried enabling a few other things - some could be quite effective for replays, like the dirty lens or grain, but not suitable for driving. I didn't see any effect from the AO options - I imagine they require proper tweaking. That might be worth having if someone can get it right.

Megasoum

Banned
Oops...

9hEAgcg.png

Now on to a week of cursing against shitty UPS lol

TJP

Reporting back from a (very) quick test of Dirt 3....

Wheel is pulling completely to the right at all time.

fun times!
Apparently a short term fix is: 'turn Wheel Weight and Wheel Strength in the Force Feedback menu to 0%, and the Centering Spring option in your Logitech Profiler to anywhere between 20% and 30%". Reference - https://pretendracecars.wordpress.c...ke-advantage-of-the-games-revived-popularity/

Codemasters are aware of the situation too and are looking to fix it ASAP - http://steamcommunity.com/app/321040/discussions/0/611702631213143369/

Megasoum

Banned
Apparently a short term fix is: 'turn Wheel Weight and Wheel Strength in the Force Feedback menu to 0%, and the Centering Spring option in your Logitech Profiler to anywhere between 20% and 30%". Reference - https://pretendracecars.wordpress.c...ke-advantage-of-the-games-revived-popularity/

Codemasters are aware of the situation too and are looking to fix it ASAP - http://steamcommunity.com/app/321040/discussions/0/611702631213143369/

Yeah I'm on a TX so it's not only Logitech but at least they know about it... Hopefully they'll fix it.

I'm not really seeing a dramatic change that marvelharvey describes...
'Metalharvey' was better :p I need to get rid of the 'marvel' part of my name anyway.

Shame you're not seeing the dramatic difference that I am. I wonder if it's track dependant? I've only tried it Brands Hatch so far and the difference was highly pronounced. Everything seemingly far better lit/coloured. I suppose it could be related to what visual settings are being used? Even though my PC has a 780, most of my settings are off, low or medium, with only shadows on high. Mainly due to me downsampling from 3840x1620 AND supersampling (What's AA?). I wonder if the running with more FX on reduces the difference between the mod being on/off?
PS - are we getting that rant you promised to post about Assetto Corsa at some point?
I've calmed down since and lost the enthusiasm to write the post sadly. My complaint still stands though, so I may get around to it at some point.

Spookie

Thanks for the heads up on the Raceroom sale. Managed to grab all the GT2 cars and a Ohio, Indie & Raceway for £7. Woo.

Finally upgraded to a G27 (from an aging MOMO) and I'm having an issue.

Getting a "device not recognized" from Windows (8.1) and of course it's not detected by Logitech Gaming Software either.

I'm using a 5-meter USB extension that worked perfectly fine with the MOMO, but I'm wondering if the G27 is a bit more "sensitive" to USB requirements.

Already tried changing USB ports with no luck.

Next step is to connect the wheel directly to my tower but I'm wondering if this is a known issue.

Edit: Connecting it directly solved the issue. Hope some sort of "active" USB cable/hub will do the trick.

Megasoum

Banned
Finally upgraded to a G27 (from an aging MOMO) and I'm having an issue.

Getting a "device not recognized" from Windows (8.1) and of course it's not detected by Logitech Gaming Software either.

I'm using a 5-meter USB extension that worked perfectly fine with the MOMO, but I'm wondering if the G27 is a bit more "sensitive" to USB requirements.

Already tried changing USB ports with no luck.

Next step is to connect the wheel directly to my tower but I'm wondering if this is a known issue.

Just to be sure... You're using the proper G27 drivers and not just the momo ones right?

To be fair I assume it's all using the same software anyway but make sure you have the latest version.

Edit: Ah, saw your edit... Yeah maybe try a different usb extension?

'Metalharvey' was better :p I need to get rid of the 'marvel' part of my name anyway.
\m/ I'm happy to accept a small royalty payment each time you post with your new name ;)

Shame you're not seeing the dramatic difference that I am. I wonder if it's track dependant? I've only tried it Brands Hatch so far and the difference was highly pronounced. Everything seemingly far better lit/coloured. I suppose it could be related to what visual settings are being used? Even though my PC has a 780, most of my settings are off, low or medium, with only shadows on high. Mainly due to me downsampling from 3840x1620 AND supersampling (What's AA?). I wonder if the running with more FX on reduces the difference between the mod being on/off?
I should clarify - with the five effects enabled by default (sharpening, vignette, tilt shift, colour correction and bloom), there is a dramatic difference, it's just not a positive one, imo. The sharpening, vignette and tilt shift seem forced and unnecessary. AC for example does not use such effects in its post processing and yet remains the more attractive sim.

Once those have been turned off I'm left with colour correction and bloom, and those two alone don't make such a dramatic difference and it's hard to justify the huge framerate hit. Actually at default, AC's post processing is quite subtle during gameplay - probably doing even less than this. Even with AC's PP off, it looks better than rF2, so I don't buy the suggestion that it's the post processing in AC that makes the difference.

I'm running at 1920x1080, only because downsampling with DSR seems to give me a significant amount of input lag (specific to rF2), so the impact of the sharpening is probably less harsh on your system - here it just highlights aliasing severely. There does seem to be certain effects that cause a bigger drop than others, but the colour correction alone can drop my framerate by 30%, and you have to run at least that effect for the mod to be worthwhile at all.

There is definitely potential with this mod - it opens up a lot of possibilities - but this is something that ISI should be offering themselves in a much more optimised form as part of the video settings. I don't know if rF2 can rely on PP alone to make the improvements - I could be wrong but it seems like the graphics engine needs more fundamental changes to its lighting system if it wants to compete with AC and PCARS.

Just an update in case anyone else faces the same issue.

The G27 didn't like the regular -passive- 5m (16ft) USB extension cable (this one) I was using with the MOMO, so I ended up getting a 10m (32ft) active one (this), which seems to work just fine.

G27 is now detected by both Windows and the Logitech Gaming Software and my god, going from the MOMO to the G27 has been an eye-opening experience.

I can only imagine how the more expensive wheels/setups feel-like.

Needless to say, I'm in love with the clutch/H-shifter - it's crazy fun and engaging as hell. Paddle-shifting seems so boring now :p

Contemplating if that TH8A shifter should be my next target now.

New rF2 build:

Changelog Build 946:

FEATURES:

Made “Time Scale” set to “Race %” work for percentage-timed races when a track’s default duration was more than 2 hours (but left mechanical failures work the same way as they had been).
Added local content management to Launcher.
Added support for batch downloads in Launcher’s remote content tab.
Added ring stiffness multipliers to TGM files.
Added third party content publishing to Launcher.

FIXES:

By default, the multithreaded physics are turned off for now. Set the PLR file variable “Sim Processor Thresh” to 3 to turn on, or 255 to turn off (note that we don’t allow them to be turned on for dual cores). Please do NOT use +procmask for the purpose of disabling multithreaded physics anymore.
umber of pitstops as reported in results file and plugin will no longer count drive-thru’s nor Esc’ing from track to garage.
Made unlimited laps in qualifying truly unlimited.
Fix for aspect ratio problems in monitor.
Disabled an unnecessary message pump in the simulation thread. The latter appears to fix the CPU spikes that some were experiencing.
Added HTTP Basic Authentication to dedicated server mod downloads.
Fixed halt when returning to monitor. (Cloud maps were being reloaded because the path appeared to change in retail mode.)
Use any available car in a replay if the original can’t be found (can happen with clients viewing a server replay without having downloaded a virtual vehicle that was present).
Fixed unnecessary reloads of matchmaker list.
Lined up vehicle labels in monitor.
Made vehicle labels more legible under different conditions.
Fixed multiplayer client skin download status gizmo icons so they are again visible (when they should be).
Fixed rare problem in ded server where rfm from previous mod was used if it (rmf file) has exact same name as rfm file in current mod.
Fixed a crash that could happen while resuming a replay of a non-race session.

MODDING / PUBLIC DEV:

Added playerfile parameter “Disable Resume in Replay”, that when set to 1, will let you jump into realtime during a replay instead of “resuming”. Did this so that a person could record fastest paths from replay files using the AIW editor in the Mod Mode.
Added ability to look for digital flags so that that a track builder can have a mix of corner workers and digital flags around the track. (animations are: “DF_FLAGDOWN”, “DF_FLAGHELD”, “DF_FLAGWAVE”, “DF_SAFETYCAR”, “DF_VICTORY”, “DF_PRESTART”, “DF_START”)
simplified grid, pit, & garage spot marking.
Allowed AIW editor to set number of garages per pit spot for ease of editing.
Fixed Camera FOV editing.

MULTIPLAYER

Added new MPFile parameter “SERVER_allow_loose_content_transfer” that will disable client to client propagation of custom skins and virtual vehicles (both disabled when set to 0, only virtual vehicles disabled when set to 1, and both working when set to 2)
In the case of matching names while trying to boot someone, at least kick *someone* (current choice is client before AI).
Improved multiplayer skin transfers so there is less chance of name mix up.

GRAPHICS:

New tonemapper
Optimized single-pass HDR for multiview.
Adjusted some hdr/sky params to work with new tonemapper

Welp. There goes my only use for that PP mod. All the colours are much better now! :)

I had wondered where that tonemapped update had gone to that TJP had posted a few weeks ago! Good to hear it's an improvement. EDIT: Damn! It looks infinitely more appealing to the eye now.

-------------

Here's the official info on that GSC V8SC mod Shaneus dug up a little while ago:

http://www.bsimracing.com/introducing-ozv8-modding-project-for-gsc-extreme/

I had wondered where that tonemapped update had gone to that TJP had posted a few weeks ago! Good to hear it's an improvement. EDIT: Damn! It looks infinitely more appealing to the eye now.
Dare I say they may have gone too far with toning down some of the colours now... >_<

I just tried Lime Rock, which had already seen a recent update which reduced the saturation of the greenery... combined with this new tone mapping, things look a tad dull now (on what should be a sunny day)... but overall definitely an improvement!

Dare I say they may have gone too far with toning down some of the colours now... >_<

I just tried Lime Rock, which had already seen a recent update which reduced the saturation of the greenery... combined with this new tone mapping, things look a tad dull now (on what should be a sunny day)... but overall definitely an improvement!

The colors definitely still vary from track to track. Lime Rock was color corrected not too long ago, and has one look. I might call it dull, yeah. Mills looks totally different - bright blue and green with dark pavement. I think Poznan has a nice natural look to it. The new Malaysia is probably closest to their vision since it's update also came out today. It looks completely different which is good since it was butt-ugly before! It looks great now.

This new build seems to run great too, which is a nice plus.

Mascot

Serious question: has the thrill of racing in PC sims advanced greatly since Race 07, PnG etc? Because, hot damn, I'm STILL having an absolute blast throwing 1970s G4 911s around Spa and Dubai with tablet graphics. When I build a proper rig I think pCARS might just kill me.

LilJoka

Serious question: has the thrill of racing in PC sims advanced greatly since Race 07, PnG etc? Because, hot damn, I'm STILL having an absolute blast throwing 1970s G4 911s around Spa and Dubai with tablet graphics. When I build a proper rig I think pCARS might just kill me.

Just raced Alfa GTAs around Magione 7 laps in Assett Corsa, back is sweating lol. Old cars are still the most fun. I was in a super close race with 1 guy the whole time. Such a shame AC deleted the replay before I could save it.

I guess it depends what aspect of sim racing really floats your boat - if it's about the handling, then no, the fundamentals were already well-established and (near enough) correct with the sims you're playing. If it's more about the overall presentation and photorealism, then yup... face-melting may occur. :)

Mascot

I guess it depends what aspect of sim racing really floats your boat - if it's about the handling, then no, the fundamentals were already well-established and (near enough) correct with the sims you're playing. If it's more about the overall presentation and photorealism, then yup... face-melting may occur. :)
I fucking l-o-v-e the feel of the Race 07 variants, the traction, the pointability of the vehicles. So long as modern sims give me dem feels then all is good. I can't be done with handling massively weighted to understeer like Forza and GT any more. Its like driving on frozen lakes.

TJP

New rF2 build:
The new Malaysia track build number is a reference to Marco Simoncelli: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...in-rFactor-2-!?p=350103&viewfull=1#post350103

What a classy move by ISI ;)

Karts v1.14 Now Available for rFactor 2!

One of the most fun and least appreciated types of racing in rFactor 2 has got to be the karts. While for some this can create a whole standalone simulation, it is merely one of many vehicle types we offer to our users as a free download. If you haven&#8217;t tried them yet, be sure to give them a try with this updated version!

Download here: https://www.mediafire.com/view/wl1rba4yc8u8wxs/ISI_KARTCUP-v1140.rfcmp
(Requires up-to-date build of rFactor 2).

v1.14 Changlog:
Physics (both Karts)
&#8211; New tires which have enabled the contact patch model for the first time.
&#8211; Added new wet weather variables for tires.
&#8211; Numerous AI correlation tweaks. AI warm tires quicker, wear slower and more evenly (F/R).
&#8211; Reduced inertia for wheels and engine. The wheels were set conservatively due to instability, an issue which new, more accurate tires have are the result.
&#8211; Reduced axle and gearbox friction to what should be a more accurate level.
&#8211; Softened undertray collision points which makes the kart more realistic and controllable over tall curbs.
&#8211; Fixed geometry bug that went unnoticed that was caused by a build bug fix (which was improperly defined in the previous kart release, and has been corrected for Builds 860 and newer).
&#8211; Tweak to reduce some &#8216;hopping&#8217; experienced in certain extreme situations.
Physics Junior Kart specific
&#8211; Engine engine has more low end torque. Combined with other changes, it now accelerates a lot better from standstill.
Physics KartF1 specific
&#8211; Increased grip to correspond better with the class of tyre this is simulating.
UI
&#8211; Changed category name in-sim from &#8216;Kart Cup&#8217; to &#8216;Karts&#8217;.
&#8211; Camera offset to match steering wheel.
Graphics
&#8211; Updated shaders
&#8211; Updated textures
&#8211; Minor 3D fixes

The contact patch model is still not fully complete, but at a sufficient point now. It is still lacking some lateral and longitudinal variability due to temperature / pressure and the lat/long deflections are still slightly over sensitive under extreme conditions when patch is extremely small. The vertical deflections are considered accurate. We will release more details soon.

There are also some setup adjustments not yet available in the UI. An update will follow.

TJP

I fucking l-o-v-e the feel of the Race 07 variants, the traction, the pointability of the vehicles. So long as modern sims give me dem feels then all is good. I can't be done with handling massively weighted to understeer like Forza and GT any more. Its like driving on frozen lakes.
I'm not surprised Mascot - ISI created a hell of a base platform for very smart development teams to use and iterate on. Although it's become part of the marketing of a sim these days, all of the SimBin/Sector3 sims were designed via the input and feedback of racing drivers in the same way ISI, SMS, iRacing, Reiza etc do.

Feel is something you'll get plenty from with Stock Car Extreme too ;)

Megasoum

Banned
Welp... I just spent the last 1h30 playing around AC and pCARS with the HShifter and manual clutch....

Yup... I'm now officialy converted! I still have some issues from time to time but overall it's going just fine and it's a SHIT TON of fun!.

Omg I just did 5-6 laps on Brands Hatch GP with the BMW M1 Procar.... Pure sex on wheels.

I'm not surprised Mascot - ISI created a hell of a base platform for very smart development teams to use and iterate on. Although it's become part of the marketing of a sim these days, all of the SimBin/Sector3 sims were designed via the input and feedback of racing drivers in the same way ISI, SMS, iRacing, Reiza etc do.

Feel is something you'll get plenty from with Stock Car Extreme too ;)

How well off are ISI for creating that engine? Considering they're responsible for the backbone of just about every sim out there (and assumedly gets the royalties for it), I don't feel like they're very out there or spoken of.

Really great find, thank you, 30mins in and it's good to see some actual knowledge delivered in a passionate and interested way, too bad the interviewer wasn't as interested in the actual physics explanation, a computing oriented student I guess.

And that always remind me how people complain about the physics in some racing games but they forget or do not know they work with separate models to simulate different aspects that need to relate with eachother. And that's why every game has something the other doesn't have, or is "broken" in a place where the other isn't.
It resonates well with what the AC guy said about general x specific car simulation and some comments from a local developer about how the perception of simulation is not really in precision.

EDIT: GP Legends shoutout and a comment about the above near the 50mins mark.

TJP

How well off are ISI for creating that engine? Considering they're responsible for the backbone of just about every sim out there (and assumedly gets the royalties for it), I don't feel like they're very out there or spoken of.
No one really knows how well ISI are doing; I'd imagine ISI must be doing reasonably well given they still licence isiMotor 2 to various different developers, most notably Reiza and Sector 3. They are able to support themselves through the sale of rFactor 1 & 2 and their licencing deals.

I think rFactor isn't always thought of in the best possible way because it had an archaic mod installation & management system, the ISI content was rather sparse and the truly great mods are very much outnumbered by the average to poorly made mods. rFactor was built to be a modding platform and plenty of developers used isiMotor 2 with great success.

Megasoum

Banned
Hmm the Thrustmaster TM 28 Leather rim is no longer in "Pre-order" on Amazon but it's now Out of Stock... I hope I'll be on the first batch of delivery.

Dave_6

Nothing here (GTX 780)

Unfortunately must be something on my rig. Got some flickering on Bologna historic last night, left out back to the main menu, went back in and it was fine. My GPU isn't overclocked either.

Those are the only two tracks I've had that issue too.

Zeth

Welp... I just spent the last 1h30 playing around AC and pCARS with the HShifter and manual clutch....

Yup... I'm now officialy converted! I still have some issues from time to time but overall it's going just fine and it's a SHIT TON of fun!.

Omg I just did 5-6 laps on Brands Hatch GP with the BMW M1 Procar.... Pure sex on wheels.

Man I'm so tempted to get that shifter. But I'm still using G27 pedals with the spring mod. I feel like upgrading those would be the next logical step, but I don't mind them so much, despite knowing much better alternative exist. I've been spending a lot of time drifting since I got the T300 and the sloppy G27 shifter is the weakest link at this point. And I would need one less adapter!

Top Bottom