• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

markao

Man, bumping the decel lock down is transformative :) It's too bad there are no track specific setups bundled in, or pre-applied.

TJP is probably your man for hardware advice, but off the cuff, I'd say the 970 is your best option.
It's bedtime, so don't get me started about not being able to save different set-ups :p

....... believe it will be added after release, hopefully quickly, because set-up work is not doable without option to save multiple.

Did a quick race today to see how it was shaping up - not bad at all:

https://youtu.be/LI0AzBjRjak
Oulton Park? Nice! pCars is so very tempting. On a scale of Daytona to rFactor 2, how much of a sim is it? A score of Gran Turismo 6 or above will confirm the purchase for me.
Just browsing and reading...and I'd say yes, yes it does. That's not even slightly attractive graphically.
While rFactor 2 is behind AC and pCars visually, it certainly doesn't look arse.
vJj1DDq.jpg

uRMM7tJ.jpg

zBOTBCU.jpg

oW6GhbL.jpg

WXt6oG6.jpg

FPaTBvG.jpg

/rf2defenceforce

It's bedtime, so don't get me started about not being able to save different set-ups :p

....... believe it will be added after release, hopefully quickly, because set-up work is not doable without option to save multiple.

Yeah, I saw that being mentioned. When I read it however, I wrongly understood it as per track. :/ It's a bummer for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the default sets too frequently kill the driving experience of the car+track combo. I mean kill dead.

I'm not one to immediately go running to the garage to build a setup. I generally only do so when I'm looking for speed, or can't quite get what I'm looking for from a corner or two. I'm trusting that what's there will generally get the job done, and I'll drive around any minor issues.

In pCARS though, whoa boy. The jump-in driving experience can way too frequently lead to unhappy times behind the wheel. Severe enough that on more than a few occasions I was left doubting it's authenticity.

I really think not straightening this setup stuff out before release was a bad idea. The majority of people aren't going to touch the setup, and instead are going to build opinions on some occasionally retched handling cars. A pre-applied per track setup would have really gone a long way. I think we'll see this bear out post-release when complaints are met with urges to change your setup.

That's the bad news! The good news is you can dial it in (if you can find the hidden arrow :)), and it's a lot of fun afterwards!

pCars really needs VR menu support ASAP. Once you have a PC that actually runs it at a usable framerate, it's fantastic.

A shame it's pretty much unusable out of the box because no menus.

Megasoum

Banned
God dammit...So I guess we don't need to reset our profiles starting with today's build of pCARS which means I could start the career for real this week-end. Fucking Thrustmasters... I want to do it with the new rim!

F-Truck update:

V1.25 Changelog:

Content

Added Salvador Street Circuit
General features / Bug Fixes

Added option to set session start time (24h cycle)
Added options to switch qualifying off and manually set grid position
Fixed trackside flags animation
Added support for graphical steering wheel rotation adjustment from the Controller menu (min 180º max 900º)
Adjusted default rearview height / width
Minimum vertical FOV setting adjusted from 35º to 10º (IMPORTANT – Don´t use DEFAULT option as it resets to 34 upon restarting the game – set it to 50 if you want the proper default value)
Executable now is set to include +fullproc by default (for better performance in modern CPUs)
Adjusted LOD settings for all Trucks
Increased rear view mirror resolution
Updated terrain shaders & textures for Cascavel, Londrina, Spielberg and Tarumã
Fixed missing Sector points at Jacarepagua 2005
Improved AI racing lines for Brasilia Long, Jacarepagua 2005 & Cordoba
Fixed road line alpha sorting issue with 3d grass at Buenos Aires, Goiania & Spielberg.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

Added a default player profile (if you already have created a profile you might have to switch back to it from the PROFILE menu)
If field of view in-cockpit is too close, check DEFAULT Vertical FOV so it is not set to DEFAULT value (set it to 50 if you want the proper default value)

If you have created a new player profile and are experiencing the graphical micro stuttering, open your USERDATA\Playername\Playername.PLR, and look for these lines:
Shadow Updates=”127″ // Static shadow updates per frame (Shadow Updates * Sky Update Frames should exceed number of static shadows on track)
Sky Update Frames=”8″ // Frames between sky and light updates

Change it to:

Shadow Updates=”8″ // Static shadow updates per frame (Shadow Updates * Sky Update Frames should exceed number of static shadows on track)
Sky Update Frames=”150″ // Frames between sky and light updates

Looking at the schedule, no.

The chicane at Salvador must be a nightmare! If they can get the AI to get through there in a timely fashion, I'm awarding them the prestigious BT Technical Achievement Award for 2015.

Megasoum

Banned
Welp... I just cancelled my Thrustmaster TM 28 Wheel rim pre-order...

Part of it because Thrustmaster took its sweet ass time and I was tired of waiting but mainly because I'm kinda tight budget wise nowadays and it just wouldn't be very responsible for me to spend 250$ on something that, while very very cool, is really not necessary.

Oh well.. Being a responsible adult sucks lol.

Maybe I'll get it later at some point.

TJP

If you have created a new player profile and are experiencing the graphical micro stuttering, open your USERDATA\Playername\Playername.PLR, and look for these lines:
Shadow Updates=”127″ // Static shadow updates per frame (Shadow Updates * Sky Update Frames should exceed number of static shadows on track)
Sky Update Frames=”8″ // Frames between sky and light updates

Change it to:

Shadow Updates=”8″ // Static shadow updates per frame (Shadow Updates * Sky Update Frames should exceed number of static shadows on track)
Sky Update Frames=”150″ // Frames between sky and light updates
Ha! Reiza had the same fuckup in Game Stock Car a while back...

Time to give Formula Truck another run... especially on the street circuit. While not totally enamoured like I am with SCE, now I certainly see it's potential enjoyment.

Shaneus

Team VVV are saying they'll have a video interview with some gameplay clips from Codemasters F1 2015 next month ;)
Will it only be a link to F1 2010-2014 tips but with a new title card? Or just something that says "play with a controller, it's the only way to get better assists"?

TJP

Will it only be a link to F1 2010-2014 tips but with a new title card? Or just something that says "play with a controller, it's the only way to get better assists"?
For a one man band, Alan does pretty damn well so I'd expect he'd get some decent level access.

Waveset

Just got a Thrustmaster T100 and I think it's broken.

When I first turned it on (plugged into a PS4), the wheel tuned all the way to the right and I could hear the motor straining as it kept trying to turn, then I could smell solder/ scalextric so I unplugged it.

Plugged it into a computer and the motor stopped straining. The device panel tells me wheel turn, all button presses and pedals register ok.

But it seems like FFB is gone. The wheels completely slack on PC, PS4 and PS3. Looking at vids on YouTube, shouldn't it turn all the way left then right to calibrate itself?

Does anyone have any idea what I can do or further test?

Waveset

Yep, no rotation at all from the motor when plugging it into PC or consoles. But wheel, buttons and pedals all still sending control data.

Waveset

Thanks guys but I think it's faulty. There's some feedback on Amazon UK, guy describes exact same problem.
Box it up tonight and return it.

Shaneus

No worries. Alan is a friend so I get a little testy at times. My apologies.
Oh no, that's quite alright! I honestly actually really enjoy his videos, so there's no way I'd ever have a dig at him in the slightest. There are others I'm much more likely to take a swing at *cough*ISR*cough* and really, there's nothing anywhere on his channel or site that gives even the surliest bastard an excuse to pile on him for.

TJP

Green Man Gaming currently has PCARS available for $37.49 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/

This version is the "digital edition" which includes:
  • The Standard Edition
  • The Limited Edition Car Pack
  • The Modified Car Pack
What you miss out on is:
  • A steel case
  • Behind-the-scenes book
Modded car pack:

• Ruf CTR3 SMS-R: Created by the talented engineers at veteran developers Slightly Mad Studios
  • Pagani Zonda Cinque Roadster: The 678bhp V12 open-top hypercar is the perfect companion for a drive along the Azure Coast
  • Ariel Atom 3 Mugen: The ultimate track day car will take you from 0-60 in just 2.9s
The limited Edition upgrade DLC pack includes 5 cars drivable in any game mode and with a special one-make series within the career mode:
  • Ford GT40 Mk IV
  • BMW M1 Pro Car
  • McLaren F1
  • Sauber C9
  • Mercedes-Benz AMG C-Coupe DTM

Helznicht

Green Man Gaming currently has PCARS available for $37.49 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/

• The Standard Edition
  • The Modified Car Pack
What you miss out on is:
  • A steel case
  • Behind-the-scenes book
Modded car pack:

• Ruf CTR3 SMS-R: Created by the talented engineers at veteran developers Slightly Mad Studios
  • Pagani Zonda Cinque Roadster: The 678bhp V12 open-top hypercar is the perfect companion for a drive along the Azure Coast
  • Ariel Atom 3 Mugen: The ultimate track day car will take you from 0-60 in just 2.9s
The limited Edition upgrade DLC pack includes 5 cars drivable in any game mode and with a special one-make series within the career mode:
  • Ford GT40 Mk IV
  • BMW M1 Pro Car
  • McLaren F1
  • Sauber C9

Bought and Done, Thanks!

Dave_6

• The Standard Edition
  • The Modified Car Pack
What you miss out on is:
  • A steel case
  • Behind-the-scenes book
Modded car pack:

• Ford GT40 Mk IV
  • BMW M1 Pro Car
  • McLaren F1
  • Sauber C9

Damn, preordered it on Steam just a few days ago :/

• The Standard Edition
  • The Modified Car Pack
What you miss out on is:
  • A steel case
  • Behind-the-scenes book
Modded car pack:

• Ford GT40 Mk IV
  • BMW M1 Pro Car
  • McLaren F1
  • Sauber C9

Thanks for the heads up!

I was going to wait for a Steam sale but this'll do nicely.

Shaneus

• The Standard Edition
  • The Modified Car Pack
What you miss out on is:
  • A steel case
  • Behind-the-scenes book
Modded car pack:

• Ford GT40 Mk IV
  • BMW M1 Pro Car
  • McLaren F1
  • Sauber C9
Hah. Since getting my 45 Euro refund on the game (I'm sure I only paid something like 25 or 30 for it initially) I'd almost be tempted to go in at that price.

Ark

• The Standard Edition
  • The Modified Car Pack
What you miss out on is:
  • A steel case
  • Behind-the-scenes book
Modded car pack:

• Ford GT40 Mk IV
  • BMW M1 Pro Car
  • McLaren F1
  • Sauber C9

Oooohhhh I might just have to jump on this.

Megasoum

Banned
Has the excellent GMG deal ended already? Damn you CC fraudsters!

Also FYI you can setup your bank accounty directly with Paypal... That's what I do so I always use paypal no matter what on GMG. Sometime I use the CC, sometime I take the money directly from my bank account.

Anyone know if how much the Ltd edition PCars DLC is going to be to purchase?
Is there another DLC pack with these cars?

I've got the standard edition for £20 from geekseek, worth upgrading?

Top Bottom