• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Sigh... Still waiting on Thrustmaser to send the damn leather rims to Amazon so I can get mine...

Thrustmaster's manufacturing seems pretty farcical. It's just annoying that they claimed you could buy the rim in three weeks, when it seems increasingly clear that was never a possibility. Even their own European e-tail stores have no stock.

I chatted with Amazon btw, and they had nothing useful to say other than we'll email you when our suppliers get it.

The only thing I found online is shopBLT, who does realtime inventory, has an availability date of the 30th. To me that just means April however.

Spookie

That is just a lot of speculation and wishful thinking. You're not going to get me disputing how good the engine can be but: It still looks like shit, he can fuck off with the "it's functional" too many games now look superior. I want both worlds at this point. It's too expensive for it's age, have they never heard of sales and price cuts? To top it off the content still comes at a trickle in comparison to RRE with almost every modder moving over to AC. There isn't anyone to fill in their gaps.

While I'd love for rF2 to be little more than a twitching corpse it doesn't look like it's going to happen very soon. The company seem to be completely out of touch on how games are release these days.

Megasoum

Banned
That is just a lot of speculation and wishful thinking. You're not going to get me disputing how good the engine can be but: It still looks like shit, he can fuck off with the "it's functional" too many games now look superior. I want both worlds at this point. It's too expensive for it's age, have they never heard of sales and price cuts? To top it off the content still comes at a trickle in comparison to RRE with almost every modder moving over to AC. There isn't anyone to fill in their gaps.

While I'd love for rF2 to be little more than a twitching corpse it doesn't look like it's going to happen very soon. The company seem to be completely out of touch on how games are release these days.

Wow...ouch! haha...

But yeah I agree. For me right now the clear leaders are pCARS for the more polished and "complete" experience (career mode for example) and then AC for the mods support and all the other stuff.

AC is seriously lacking in content right now but, like you said, all the modders are moving there so content will come in time.

Spookie

Wow...ouch! haha...

But yeah I agree. For me right now the clear leaders are pCARS for the more polished and "complete" experience (career mode for example) and then AC for the mods support and all the other stuff.

AC is seriously lacking in content right now but, like you said, all the modders are moving there so content will come in time.

More belligerent shouting than an opinion but it gets my goat when he throws his opinion round like it's gospel.

We shouldn't be accepting to inferior games, AC proves you can have a 5 man team and a beautiful functional engine. There is so many things very wrong and archaic with rF2 but it's willingly accepted because Sim Racing can't do any better. It's horseshit that someone who can turn heads is willing to over look so much.

More belligerent shouting than an opinion but it gets my goat when he throws his opinion round like it's gospel.

We shouldn't be accepting to inferior games, AC proves you can have a 5 man team and a beautiful functional engine. There is so many things very wrong and archaic with rF2 but it's willingly accepted because Sim Racing can't do any better. It's horseshit that someone who can turn heads is willing to over look so much.
Do you actually own rF2?

It's just that your tone sounded like someone who either doesn't own it or hasn't tried it for years. rF2 is very good now and in many ways a more complete sim than the others you mention.

Spookie

rF2 is very good now and in many ways a more complete sim than the others you mention.

Define complete. I define complete as the whole package not just the engine and a functional front end with a sparse littering of cars. rF2 to me has been a physics tech engine, a very clever tech engine mind you. But it feels like it needs a designer to put some muscle and skin on the skeleton.

Edit: I'm in danger as coming across as antagonistic which isn't suppose to be the case, I've got a GTA V downloading a 32Kb/s and severe leg cramp. Shits annoying yo.

Ark

11133880_10153221772501085_6075439011921372591_o.jpg

New Aston GT1 clay rendering.

Yes, please.

TJP

I'm in danger as coming across as antagonistic which isn't suppose to be the case <snip>
I disagree ;) Your posts read fine to me.

One man's opinion doesn't mean he is the Oracle...Empty Box is probably excited for the CART mod to hit rF2 as he loves the mod in Game Stock Car Extreme. rF2 is improving at a faster rate than before which is indeed great.

I too think rF2 is feature rich and one of the more complete experiences currently available. Certain aspects do need work e.g. wet weather in modern cars sucks because the tyre model, still a WIP, heats the tyre way too fast. When compared to pCARS, rF2 may be lacking certain aspects, it really depends on what you're looking for. Many sim racers I know don't care about a career mode (ala pCARS and GTR before it) - they want a championship creator. Edit: as Betta states below, Assetto Corsa is in far worse 'shape' than any other non-early access racingsim on the PC.

Does rF2 look like arse? I don't think so:
It's not pCARS, Assetto Corsa or R3E but it's hardly a busted pie. I'm not having a go at anyone..it's become a standard response that rF2 looks horrid when it doesn't look bad at all.

Define complete. I define complete as the whole package not just the engine and a functional front end with a sparse littering of cars. rF2 to me has been a physics tech engine, a very clever tech engine mind you. But it feels like it needs a designer to put some muscle and skin on the skeleton.

Edit: I'm in danger as coming across as antagonistic which isn't suppose to be the case, I've got a GTA V downloading a 32Kb/s and severe leg cramp. Shits annoying yo.
An engine, a functional front end and a sparse littering of cars is what rFactor 1 was, and that was very successful. rFactor 2 has already been given better treatment than its predecessor in terms of design, and the car and track selection is vastly improved. Considering their goal hasn't changed, they're doing a pretty good job of supplying more in-house content this time, and at much higher quality.

It is more complete than Assetto Corsa in terms of functionality, particularly when it comes to organising league races and broadcasting. People appear to be turning away from AC because the multiplayer improvements aren't coming fast enough. It's a beautiful sim for hotlapping, but it doesn't deliver for serious online racing yet, and the AI is still not that great. It has a career but it's not much more than a fancy UI overlay, taking you through races you could configure manually. rFactor 2 isn't really that kind of game - it's more of a tool, one that hopefully somebody else can use to build something really special. It seems like ISI are quite happy to let others make the 'game' part of the equation while they stick to functionality. As dull as that may sound, this functionality already delivers some of the best driving experiences I've ever had.

(Oh and I was getting <50kb/s most of the time too... I've given up for now. >_<)

TJP

rFactor 2 isn't really that kind of game - it's more of a tool, one that hopefully somebody else can use to build something really special. It seems like ISI are quite happy to let others make the 'game' part of the equation while they stick to functionality.
Here is what Tim of ISI said about third party support:

There is quite a big scope for rF2s future. What I am working towards is addons, not developed by us, while we continue making our content alongside. A company that might consider licensing our engine to make a standalone could just use their license to build content for rF2, we sell it, we protect it (easy if we handle purchases, you join a server running a mod, we know whether you bought it or not), and rF2 gets that content. How bad do things feel thinking about that? Legal mods could do the same thing. To be honest, those external devs making standalones would probably make more money for less work. We get rF2 sales, maybe a cut, they get to not pay us a licensing fee for our engine, or do engine work at all.

That is one of the things I am hoping to see happen with a number of places we have incomplete series'. Obviously supporting it, is on us. But I personally think you'll get exactly what you're asking for at some point.
Reference: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...d-party-tracks?p=286325&viewfull=1#post286325

It remains to be seen what ISI actually have in the pipeline for rF2 as that post was from 2014. Could we see more stand alone mods by Niels, tracks from third parties (e.g. Woochoo's Longford) or full mods by Rieza?

Spookie

It looks flat. A racing sim doesn't need every bell and whistle ala GTA V, but it looks like something from 2009! There isn't any thing which gives depth to the picture, now I don't need complicated DoF effects but the game desperately needs some AO at least.

I gave the game another go over the last 2 nights and while I love the Clio Cup. I stand by what I said:

The UI is still awful and functional at best, the HUD is terrible, the graphics and performance are, at best, functional and the sounds are like a hairdrier locked in a cupboard. Everything about the driving experience is fantastic (control, response, AI and feedback) it's just everything that isn't a physical input is so inferior to every other game out there. Content is still another beef of mine and Valve has proven that if you reward content creators people will flock to your game. I wish ISI would add rFactor 2 to Steam and use the workshop to curate additional, well made, tracks & cars.

Well at least ProjectCARS has gone gold and I can get my BTCC fix from that. :(

TJP

It looks flat. A racing sim doesn't need every bell and whistle ala GTA V, but it looks like something from 2009! There isn't any thing which gives depth to the picture, now I don't need complicated DoF effects but the game desperately needs some AO at least.
That's funny you reference GTV V as I was reading the exact same comment on the rF2 forums. GTA has many graphical effects such as pooled water & realistic rain that adds to the realism of what is an 'arcade' experience and yet many racing sims don't..

Spookie

GTA has many graphical effects such as pooled water & realistic rain that adds to the realism of what is an 'arcade' experience and yet many racing sims don't..

Adds to the realism of what is an 'arcade' experience?

What does that even mean? It sounds like you're telling me I should expect sim racing games to look subpar.

This video sure kicked off a shitstorm in the comments on both Bsimracing and VirtualR & the thread on the rF2 forums was locked too. The ever level headed Tim posted great advice for all of the gaming community: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/24397-Nice-vid-from-empty-box?p=352359&viewfull=1#post352359

Anyway, the latest G5 addition to R3E:

Tim knocks it out of the park.

I'll never understand why people go crazy over this kind of stuff. It goes against every grain of my personality. It's incredibly depressing to know that many people are so ill-equipped for processing opinion.

That video of all things too. I scarcely even understand the beef.

TJP

Adds to the realism of what is an 'arcade' experience?

What does that even mean? It sounds like you're telling me I should expect sim racing games to look subpar.
Nope ;)

What I really meant was GTA is an 'arcade' experience of life; you can pretty much do what you want, whenever you want to the extreme e.g shooting people, driving over people etc without much consequence save for a wanted meter. My point was it's funny that a game such as GTA has pools of water forming on roads, ice patches etc and yet racing sims for the most part don't even have rain let alone these real world things..yet their purpose is to simulate the real world to the best of their mathematical ability. Last time I looked, it does rain when cars and bikes race around tracks.

I trust this makes more sense.

TJP

Codemasters have opened their own store: https://store.codemasters.com/ and have a 50% off sale:

F1 2014+F1 Race Stars is £14.99
F1 2013 - £14.99
F1 2013 Classic Edition - £19.99
Dirt 3 "Complete" - £11.49
Grid Autosport - £14.99
Grid 2 Reloaded - £14.99

As always, check out places authorised key sellers such as GMG & Gamersgate and price history websites such as Steam Prices before buying.

Tim knocks it out of the park.

I'll never understand why people go crazy over this kind of stuff. It goes against every grain of my personality. It's incredibly depressing to know that many people are so ill-equipped for processing opinion.
I get people have their favourites but wow, who knew they could be that fanatical. Hopefully Tim's words resonate; while people slag off their non-favoured sims, the actual developers of these sims are, for the most part, all friends. ISI, Rieza, Sector3, Kunos etc all follow each other on social media and interact behind the scenes.

Looks like Jeremy Miller left ISI in April based on Linked In..he was their senior programmer for nearly 11 years.

Does anyone have a good solution for clamping a phone in place for HUD apps? I bought this a while back, but not only does it put pressure on my phone's power button, but the first time I applied opposite lock it flew across the room.

Waveset

Just ordered a Thrustmaster T100, don't laugh it's my first wheel and I'm excited.

It's rotation is limited to 270 degrees and I was wondering if there's any mods out there to increase this.

Is it limited by the shape of the casing, maybe by modifying the wheel or the base you could increase the rotation. Or perhaps a combination of the above and replacing the potentiometer with an endless one?

Does anyone have info on this or am I deluding myself?

JamboGT

I don't think you will be able to mod this. First of all, as you say, the casing prevents it, then so does the actual mechanical rotation. Then the sensors or whatever they use to measure the rotation will not allow for higher degrees of rotation.

On the other hand if it is your first wheel, just get used to it, make sure you enjoy using a wheel and then later think about upgrading.

My first wheel was a 180 degree wheel for the PS1, 270 was awesome when I got an actual force feedback logitech for GT3!

Spookie

Why yes it is...stay tuned ;)

Hopefully they push it out before the end of the month. I'd like a physics update for WTCC cars to bring them up to par with the GT2 and GT3 cars.

Edit: Hang on, that track goes up today! I hope WTCC does too. :D

Megasoum

Banned
So it's official, Project CARS is coming out on May 8th in EU and 12th in NA...

Looks like I won't have my new TM 28 rim in time..... Fucking Thrustmasters...arghhh

shandy706

Just browsing and reading...and I'd say yes, yes it does. That's not even slightly attractive graphically. I have old Xbox 360 racing games that look better than that. I don't mind playing older games, but that is ugly.

Anyway, I was stopping by to see if there were any PCars deals out and about? :)

Zeth

TH8A is being delivered in the next couple hours, I'm so excited.

I think I'll be playing AC all night. Can't wait for PCars, it's finally happening!

Megasoum

Banned
TH8A is being delivered in the next couple hours, I'm so excited.

I think I'll be playing AC all night. Can't wait for PCars, it's finally happening!

Nice! The TH8A is a great piece of hardware.

I've been refreshing the "My Order" page on Amazon every hour for the last 2 weeks waiting for Thrustmaster to finally wake the fuck up.

Harsh. It can look very pleasing at times.

It has only just gone gold, you probably need to wait a while before retailers start offering deals for this.

Did a quick race today to see how it was shaping up - not bad at all:

https://youtu.be/LI0AzBjRjak

Nice run!

(pCARS) Hey, I'm probably a year late to the party, but can anyone tell me when diffs and ratios got axed? It's a bit of a heartbreak since I'm not super keen on how the majority of cars turn.

TJP

Ladies and Gents of the PC sim racing thread, here is Alan from Team VVV preview of F1 2015: http://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/comments/F1-2015-Preview

A key quote (I won't quote too much as he deserves page views):
Onto the handling and this is the core area where many gamers have been anticipating changes: would the new F1 titles lean more towards arcade or simulation, everyone would ask? I’m pleased to announce they have targeted the latter, and with outstanding results. All round improvements to tyre and suspension modelling are evident: you feel the car leaning on the tyres while exiting corners, while the feeling of weight carried through the car gives ample opportunity for naturally correcting power or steering. In short, it’s all very intuitive.

No videos as yet from Alan, hopefully he has something in the works 8)

markao

Nice run!

(pCARS) Hey, I'm probably a year late to the party, but can anyone tell me when diffs and ratios got axed? It's a bit of a heartbreak since I'm not super keen on how the majority of cars turn.
All cars have the real gear ratios and dif options, so not sure what you are looking for BT?

Difs got the usual game, "understeer for beginners" settings, so I generally add more turn in before going on track.

[edit]: New menu, you do not know there are "tabs" in the set-up menu screen?

Ladies and Gents of the PC sim racing thread, here is Alan from Team VVV preview of F1 2015: http://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/comments/F1-2015-Preview

A key quote (I won't quote too much as he deserves page views):

No videos as yet from Alan, hopefully he has something in the works 8)

Good stuff. You can never go wrong by renewing your commitment to the actual driving & racing.

All cars have the real gear ratios and dif options, so not sure what you are looking for BT?

Oh, did I somehow miss it? That would be great if I was just an idiot!

Edit fight!

Hrrm, maybe I didn't see the tabs... Going to figure out now how I botched it.

markao

Good stuff. You can never go wrong by renewing your commitment to the actual driving & racing.

Oh, did I somehow miss it? That would be great if I was just an idiot!

Edit fight!

Hrrm, maybe I didn't see the tabs... Going to figure out now how I botched it.
It's completely hidden, so you did not miss it, you just did not search for it. Yeah, I complained about it ;)

Main menu screen has some where in the middle (top) an "arrow", which allows you to see (go to) the (6/7) other set-up options. So if you did not see a gear ratios and dif options at all, than they are still there, just find the "arrow".

What sort of rig are you running? I'm wondering how optimised the game is on PC.
i7 4790K, 8GB RAM, GTX980.

I was able to get good performance from my previous spec, which was an i7 870 and a GTX670. There are plenty of options to turn down and it's still a good looking game at medium settings.

It's completely hidden, so you did not miss it, you just did not search for it. Yeah, I complained about it ;)

Main menu screen has some where in the middle (top) an "arrow", which allows you to see (go to) the (6/7) other set-up options. So if you did not see a gear ratios and dif options at all, than they are still there, just find the "arrow".

There it is! Wow, that's going to go unnoticed by many, many people!

Thanks, Mark!

TJP

What sort of rig are you running? I'm wondering how optimised the game is on PC.
Here is a post from the CARS thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=160342057&postcount=7667

Just down/off the grass and it will run great.

I have a low-midrange setup(2 gtx 470s in sli and 4760k cpu) and I'm getting 60-100fps with everything on ultra except for vegetation. Here's some gameplay screens with the fraps counter.
No idea about the number of cars onscreen and what the frame rate is with weather thrown into the equation etc but that's a solid frame rate.

For reference dual GTX 480's are the approximate equivalent of a single GTX 680, I'd guess SLI'd GTX 470's would be slightly faster than a single GTX 670.

markao

There it is! Wow, that's going to go unnoticed by many, many people!

Thanks, Mark!
your welcome mate

It should have at least some different colour, or something that screams here look at me I'm awesome, but no :(

But with the release date and Witcher 3 gold as well, it is time to get me a new PC. Anything better cheaper than a 970 ? Plan on running at 1080p until VR hits.

Man, bumping the decel lock down is transformative :) It's too bad there are no track specific setups bundled in, or pre-applied.

TJP is probably your man for hardware advice, but off the cuff, I'd say the 970 is your best option.

Top Bottom