• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anouma confirms Majora was in development as soon as they finished Ocarina

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
New Miiverse post.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADMUKmIuDSagA

The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D was actually in development almost immediately after we finished working on The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, which was released in June of 2011. So although we’ve been working on the game for quite some time, we didn't want to say it was being developed until we were at a point where we could proudly say that this is not going to be just another remake and that it's going to be worth your time. For a while now, when fans from Japan and around the world would ask me if we were working on a Majora's Mask remake, I would silently plead in my heart, thinking, “Please wait a bit longer!” (laughs).

Oops: Mis-spelled his name in the title - I meant Aonuma

NewGame

Banned
Has there been any word on additional content? I recall being told it was made 'more accessible' which doesn't bode well.

Fiktion

Banned
Clock Town and other areas appear to have been completely redesigned.

p8HF04L.jpg

a5YGp6u.jpg

My5R54n.jpg

FHz9FFy.jpg

tumblr_neoyvkjYPl1qzp9weo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_neoyvkjYPl1qzp9weo1_1280.jpg

MXDZ8Md.jpg

Ghz2dUx.jpg

wRU0uIC.jpg

O217Pm3.jpg

sVUkKb0.jpg

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Which suddenly makes the Grezzo job posting all the more interesting.
So one year touching up models textures and geometry, two years adding crap loads of content?? Not just another remake? Hype rising!

Sendou

That's a long development time for a remake.

Well Grezzo doesn't have that many employees and between OOT3D and now they have also worked on The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition and Flower Town (one of the StreetPass games). I would say that explains the development time more than the amount of things they have added to the original game. Although I still think Majora's Mask will see more changes than OOT3D did if for nothing else but making it more approachable for a new audience.

TheMoon

zlCfzSoRX1MEjw3p5M

I think it's safe to assume now that there'll be a lot of "newness" to explore. (avoiding the term new content for now)

Qurupeke

With the millions of hints about it, the MM on ALBW and the constant teasing, it's pretty obvious. I don't think that there's anyone that didn't expect this sooner or later. If anything, I'm surprised they didn't announce this during E3.

Now let's wait for the second more teased game, Mother 3's return. :)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
If they let you play a Master Quest from the start, I will get this. But probably wont bother if I have to go through the whole game first.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
For a while now, when fans from Japan and around the world would ask me if we were working on a Majora's Mask remake, I would silently plead in my heart, thinking, “Please wait a bit longer!” (laughs).

It must be torturous for him to keep this secret for so long.

takriel

"For a while now, when fans from Japan and around the world would ask me if we were working on a Majora's Mask remake, I would silently plead in my heart, thinking, “Please wait a bit longer!” (laughs)."

Please say that I laughed.

Zalman

It's funny to go back and read Aonuma's comments the past few years. I specifically remember the "tell them I laughed" statement, lol.

Jonnax

Who was on charge of Majora's mask? The game is almost completely different from anything before or after.

I'd really want to play another game from whoever wrote the story for that game.

Zalman

Who was on charge of Majora's mask? The game is almost completely different from anything before or after.

I'd really want to play another game from whoever wrote the story for that game.
Majora's Mask was Aonuma's first game as the director.

linkboy

Yoshiaki Koizumi and Anouma were the director's, with Miyamoto being being one of the Supervisors.

I believe it was Anouma's first game as a director for Zelda.

jonno394

It was Aunoumas first Zelda game as director. Story and three day system idea was by Miyamoto and Yoshiaki Koizumi. Script written by Mitsuhiro Takano

Duh. Next people will be surprised when Metroid Wii U is announced, despite all the casual hints being dropped about it over the past year.

I remember opening the door to that fucking house for the first time at 8 years old and--

Well I don't want to spoil it for those of you who haven't play it yet but...

I literally jumped and turned off my game. Scared the shit out of me. haha good times.

Asbear

Banned
That's a long development time for a remake.

But quite frankly Grezzo isn't the best of game developers. The original games they've created are not that great, so it doesn't surprise me they need a lot of dev time to make something like a Zelda remake.

But it makes me wonder if Nintendo could've spent their money and resources better because that is one long-ass development time for sure.

On the other hand. MM had maybe the shortest dev time for an official Zelda game ever (18 months). Of course it reused almost every asset from OoT but I could imagine they cut a lot of corners because it might've been slightly rushed (even though it doesnt' show so much). One could always hope they're restoring lost content for this version.

Asbear

Banned
Yeah, several years just to replace Link skin, change something in and there and make a new control system.

Considering the convoluted side-quests and the time affecting every second of the world, you bet there's a lot more programming in there than just replacing skins. Someone here told me these remakes are built on the original N64 code, but I swear a lot of it has to be made from the ground up because it feels like there's more to the OoT remake than a slighty control-scheme change and new skins. The whole game feels quite a bit different and the characters lack the same sense of weight as in the N64 version.

RpgN

The more new stuff added the better. Hinting at this being more than just a 'remake' pleases me.

also

Banned
I hope they spent that time towards adding some new content, ideally a Master Quest style mode.
OOT 3DS was really disappointing in that regard.

llehuty

I do also think that the framerate has been increased from OOT 3D. At least it looks that way in the trailer (based 60fps youtube)

It's not 60fps, but looks above 30fps with dips in some parts of the clip.

Zalman

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if the game has been done for a while. They're just saving it for the right time. That combined with the fact that Grezzo is a pretty small studio is probably the reason for the long development cycle. It still sounds like a lot though. Wonder how long OOT 3D was in the works.

zsidane

Maybe a full remake versus the enhanced port job of OoT?
In the Miiverse post, he says this:
Aunouma said:
When it's closer to its release date, I’ll talk more about what has been changed in the Nintendo 3DS version and its new features right here in this comunity, so stay tuned!
We can expect improvements to the game. New content? Let's hope!

Top Bottom