• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anouma confirms Majora was in development as soon as they finished Ocarina

Rich!

Sure they could, but bringing a game with Zelda name in a low detail mode in WiiU would not be the best advertisement. It would look bad if not treated properly.

Well, it would be in native 1080p like...say, Peace Walker in the MGS collection.

Either way, the groundwork is there, and what they have now is a superb starting point. Theyve done the majority of the work already!

It would be just like the Metroid Prime Trilogy, in a way.

nasos_333

Yeah, of course - but the groundwork is there, and what they have now is a superb starting point. Theyve done the majority of the work already!

It would be just like the Metroid Prime Trilogy, in a way.

Well, we will see, surly would be nice to have both Zelda OOT and MM in WiiU too, hopefully with extra adjustments in visuals too.

The demand is there, so there is always a chance to happen :)

Rich!

Well, we will see, surly would be nice to have both Zelda OOT and MM in WiiU too, hopefully with extra adjustments in visuals too.

The demand is there, so there is always a chance to happen :)

Well, lets use this as proof of how good it would look:

HC2wU.jpg

Thats a PSP game being emulated in native 1080p. No change to any textures, just the rendering resolution. I know the character is low poly, but look at the environment! Now, looking at that, can you honestly say that OOT and MM 3D won't look anything less than stunning in HD? Especially considering the models are really good.

It would probably take them far more than that to make a HD version for WiiU, the increase in detail and resolution alone would need a vastly bigger budget.
Maybe you misunderstood my post.

As we clearly see in the comparison pictures uploaded into this thread, there has been a lot of retexturing work done for Majora's 3D. These days you don't generate texture assets at low resolutions even when the target platform runs at very low resolutions. So basically a Wii U version using those higher res assets would make sense as other wise confining the game to just a 3DS only release would seem like a waste of resources.

Also improved dynamic shadows would be nice as it seems even Majora's 3D is using those half formed ones we saw in the N64 originals. Do some fellows here remember some of the first screens of Ocarina where Link had a full shadow? It was really amazing seen Link's entire shadow preceding him as he walk down the Temple of Time entrance XD

With the millions of hints about it, the MM on ALBW and the constant teasing, it's pretty obvious. I don't think that there's anyone that didn't expect this sooner or later. If anything, I'm surprised they didn't announce this during E3.

Now let's wait for the second more teased game, Mother 3's return. :)
What other teases did we have other than Majora's Mask being in Ravio's shop in ALBW? I think I might've missed a lot of this.

What other teases did we have other than Majora's Mask being in Ravio's shop in ALBW? I think I might've missed a lot of this.
Not an expert on the matter but Aonuma getting a lot of suggestions from fans in his public viewings as well as talking a bit about Majora in some interviews.

ANd Robin William's daughter appearing with Majora's Mask at the Smash Tournament.
...but then he thought about the Nintendo Ninjas...
Don't play with my heart.

would buy it day 1
Maybe we could start pestering NIntendo about a potential Wii U release in social media? At least is worth the try.
It looks so good.
The people saying the graphics in the remake are no better than the original version are blind
Yes, it is vastly improved but at the same time i think the 3DS can give a little more for the visuals, so it's kind of strange for Grezzo not to do it.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
This is very exciting news. We can expect no delays and a prompt release in Spring. It will be a lot easier to wait for Zelda Wii U with this title to look forward to.

Maybe you misunderstood my post.

As we clearly see in the comparison pictures uploaded into this thread, there has been a lot of retexturing work done for Majora's 3D. These days you don't generate texture assets at low resolutions even when the target platform runs at very low resolutions. So basically a Wii U version using those higher res assets would make sense as other wise confining the game to just a 3DS only release would seem like a waste of resources.

Also improved dynamic shadows would be nice as it seems even Majora's 3D is using those half formed ones we saw in the N64 originals. Do some fellows here remember some of the first screens of Ocarina where Link had a full shadow? It was really amazing seen Link's entire shadow preceding him as he walk down the Temple of Time entrance XD
Why would it be a waste? OoT 3D was a big success, selling as well as the original MM on N64. They've already made money off of that effort and it'll likely be the same with MM. A lot of the appeal of these games come from being available in portable format for the first time. The real question is whether repackaging them, again in HD, and especially as a retail release, is worth it. I can see HD versions as add-ons in Zelda collections (much like the GC versions of OoT/MM) and/or future virtual console editions.

Rich!

Not an expert on the matter but Aonuma getting a lot of suggestions from fans in his public viewings as well as talking a bit about Majora in some interviews.

ANd Robin William's daughter appearing with Majora's Mask at the Smash Tournament.

- Happy mask man has his Majoras Mask backpack in OOT 3D
- Majora's Mask soundtrack CD was a club nintendo reward, seemingly at randon
- Bill Trinen showcased a majoras mask item in animal crossing during a direct
- Majoras Mask prominently shown in the most visited location in LBW
- Grezzo job listing "help us make a legend"
- References to the MM3D petition made by nintendo, they said it would be a possibility
- When asked about Majoras Mask 3D, Miyamoto stated they wanted to do an original 3DS Zelda before releasing another remake.
- Skull Kid assist trophy shown off prominently during Smash Bros promo material
- Satoru Shibata smiling and saying "please wait" when asked about Majoras Mask 3D a month ago

Mariolee

I really do wonder how much new content will be in this. The retexturing is fantastic, but it shouldn't take three years. Curious...

Why would it be a waste? OoT 3D was a big success, selling as well as the original MM on N64. They've already made money off of that effort and it'll likely be the same with MM. A lot of the appeal of these games come from being available in portable format for the first time. The real question is whether repackaging them, again in HD, and especially as a retail release, is worth it. I can see HD versions as add-ons in Zelda collections (much like the GC versions of OoT/MM) and/or future virtual console editions.
It would be a waste because higher resolution assets of the game would be there laying on a hard drive some where. Assets that could reach it's full potential when re rendered at 1080P resolution for example.

Now, don't take my comment stating the above as if im saying having Majora's Mask on the 3DS is a waste, because this was never the intention from my part. Even more so when i really like the stereoscopic 3D.
- References to the MM3D petition made by nintendo, they said it would be a possibility
- When asked about Majoras Mask 3D, Miyamoto stated they wanted to do an original 3DS Zelda before releasing another remake.
- Skull Kid assist trophy shown off prominently during Smash Bros promo material
- Satoru Shibata smiling and saying "please wait" when asked about Majoras Mask 3D a month ago
And thank you Human Zelda Encyclopedia XD

No let's talk about that Metroid cloth pin Reginald was wearing some time ago...

It would be a waste because higher resolution assets of the game would be there laying on a hard drive some where. Assets that could reach it's full potential when re rendered at 1080P resolution for example.

Now, don't take my comment stating the above as if im saying having Majora's Mask on the 3DS is a waste, because this was never the intention from my part. Even more so when i really like the stereoscopic 3D.

Ah, I see. I suppose you have a point, though I'm sure a full HD version, assuming they're aiming to reach full potential, would need more work beyond just the texture assets. Many of flaws in model, and geometry will appear more visible in HD. It's a tough sell repackaging something at all in a short space of time, and even tougher when that particular work isn't dramatically enhanced.

Awesome! Thanks! Here I just paid attention to the Majora's Mask cameo in ALBW.

rjc571

Banned
The entire video is 30 though it looks like it dips below 30 at times.

The environmental panning shots at the start of the trailer are clearly 60.

Another hint: Chrome's playback really sucks. Download the 60fps video with JDownloader 2 and watch it in VLC.

kirbster

Really excited about it, day 1 buy for me. But the lack of shaders makes it look really flat, even with the improved textures, geometry and polygon count. Pretty disappointed with the graphics... Honestly it could look MUCH better.

Hell even ALBW had nice shaders on almost every surface at 60fps.

Rich!

Hell even ALBW had nice shaders on almost every surface at 60fps.

ALBW was a top-down game that didn't have to render anything outside of the viewing area and utilized very simple models in order to keep 60fps. It's not comparable at all.

In terms of the internal game logic, Majora's Mask is going to be far more complex than ALBW ever was.

Ah, I see. I suppose you have a point, though I'm sure a full HD version, assuming they're aiming to reach full potential, would need more work beyond just the texture assets. Many of flaws in model, and geometry will appear more visible in HD. It's a tough sell repackaging something at all in a short space of time, and even tougher when that particular work isn't dramatically enhanced.
Well i have always hold the thought that the Wii U is the first Nintendo home console actually capable of handling Nintendo's entire library, specially since it can acomodate every type of input method Nintendo has used for their titles.

Given the cuarrent climate, 3DS sells dropping and Wii U not fulfilling expectations, porting important 3DS games to the Wii U makes financial sense.

With that said. 3DS games re rendered at 1080p would look a lot better and the end result would far outweight any of the extra perceived flaws you suggest. For a real world example just look at how amazing GC games look runing on Dolphin or how playing N64 games (320*240) on VC (640*480) made them look a lot better.
I forgot something!!

From the Nintendo hanabi promotion a few months back:

zelda_majoras_mask_summer_tease-700x325.png
Most commend your memory. Saw that image in that thread and taught how neat was Nintendo teasing a potential Majora's reveal and now i had completely forgot about it.

maxcriden

zlCfzSoRX1MEjw3p5M

I think it's safe to assume now that there'll be a lot of "newness" to explore. (avoiding the term new content for now)

What sort of newness do you envision there being? (Does it have something to do with that image?) I guess I'm trying to set my expectations low so I can be pleased if it's "just" the same game, and imagining any newness will be (hopefully optional) ways of making it more accessible for people.

I hope they spent that time towards adding some new content, ideally a Master Quest style mode.
OOT 3DS was really disappointing in that regard.

Oh, I thought OOT 3D had a Master Quest...? I haven't played it yet but I thought I'd read that.

I'm just going to come out and say what I'm thinking, given the timing of this title:

Full Amiibo Support making each scannable Amiibo a new mask for Link to turn into. If you think the transformation scenes are harrowing now, imagine Link dealing with the horror of transforming into Luigi. Unique attacks for each Amiibo similar to the Deku, Goron and Zora masks. This will be included with some kind of Boss Rush/Challenge Mode that will give you waves of enemies to experiment on using the different masks on.

The first part of your post...I'm going to assume is a joke...but I could see the second part happening. I mean, I could see Amiibo support, but not...Link transforming into Luigi!

Clock Town actually has some major changes to the way the areas are laid out. There was a link in the announcement thread.

I hadn't seen this. Does anyone have a link to this? Thank you!

ETA: Just saw below. Thanks Dorsal Axe!

Rich!

With that said. 3DS games re rendered at 1080p would look a lot better and the end result would far outweight any of the extra perceived flaws you suggest. For a real world example just look at how amazing GC games look runing on Dolphin or how playing N64 games (320*240) on VC (640*480) made them look a lot better.

yeah. just look at these shots of Wii games being rendered in native 1080p via dolphin:

clock town having minor changes like a door being higher isn't really what i would term a complete redesign tbh

Clock Town geometry seems to have changed quite a bit. South Clock Town, for example, appears to be significantly larger and has a greatly changed layout (some more changes are pictured here). It'll be interesting to see how these changes affect the NPC schedules. I imagine quite a bit of time has been spent on reprogramming and redesigning these.

41j6gQs.png

Also, in yo face everyone that said MM3D wouldn't happen. They were making it the whole time :p

Dunkley

Well, depends on their definition of developing. I don't believe they mean active development as in asset creation; otherwise things like Tingle surely would have gotten their model touched up by now, wouldn't they?

I am just glad it is happening. I would take it even if it was just a straight up port with no improvements whatsoever.

Rich!

Yeah. As I said before, Ocarina of Time has an "untouchable" status. If they changed anything drastically with regards to the locations in OOT, people would have been like what the fuck, fuck you nintendo

Majora's Mask however does not have that untouchable status. They can go all out to make it as good as it can possibly be. The only "untouchable" element of Majora's Mask in the fans eyes is the clock and save system. Everything else - just fucking go crazy with it! make it amazing.

the final battle should be incredible.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The environmental panning shots at the start of the trailer are clearly 60.

Another hint: Chrome's playback really sucks. Download the 60fps video with JDownloader 2 and watch it in VLC.

You know, that's a good idea! Should be easy to get a proper framerate count in VLC as well.

Skelter

Banned
Übermatik;137897284 said:
Holy shit, nice find.

That was during the VGX. Remember Iwata holding a banana? I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we get some Metroid news around the same VGX was held.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I'm so pumped for this.

Although I was hyped for this prerelease, (even so much as to make a fan site prerelease) somthing occurred to where I did t buy it until GameCube. And although I have played it multiple times, I have never completed it.

Finally I will be able to play through this in my Zelda console.

Beyond hyped. Wish it was coming sooner.

Oh, I thought OOT 3D had a Master Quest...? I haven't played it yet but I thought I'd read that.
Yes, once you beat OOT 3D it unlocks the Master Quest.

I hadn't seen this. Does anyone have a link to this? Thank you!
The side-by-side pictures have been posted in this thread a few times...

So if development started in 2011 why did Grezzo ask if we 'wanted to make a legend with them' a year ago?
Because they needed to hire more people to help them finish the game? Development teams aren't frozen in time at the moment development starts, never to be altered until the game ships :)

Top Bottom