• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anouma confirms Majora was in development as soon as they finished Ocarina

Excellent. I'm super excited to learn about what changes and/or additions have been made. I'd have been okay with an OoT3D style remaster but will definitely welcome something more substantial. I just hope they extra content will be for the better.

No, I´m as excited as everyone else for MM 3D, but ALBW was great and (good) new game> remake every day.
Not when the remakes are of brilliant games like Majora's Mask. Normally I'd agree, but if I knew ahead that ALBW was going to be what it ended up being I'd have chosen MM3D in a heartbeat. I understand the Nintendo logic of wanting something new to separate their remake/remaster efforts though.

Jakoo

I'm just going to come out and say what I'm thinking, given the timing of this title:

Full Amiibo Support making each scannable Amiibo a new mask for Link to turn into. If you think the transformation scenes are harrowing now, imagine Link dealing with the horror of transforming into Luigi. Unique attacks for each Amiibo similar to the Deku, Goron and Zora masks. This will be included with some kind of Boss Rush/Challenge Mode that will give you waves of enemies to experiment on using the different masks on.

HOLD ON A SECOND:

In the unveiling thread i was questioning why if it was a remake and it was using lot of the ground work for the Ocarina 3DS one, why did it take so much time to make.

So according to Aonuma, if they are putting so much effort into this, they should be contemplating a Wii U port in the near future.

Why would you put so much work in new assets for the 3DS low resolution? There's no way they are wasting the effort in doing them in low res when they can scale back the higher res ones for use with 3DS.

Wii U version makes too much sense.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Feel a bit disappointed that this could have been released instead of a link between worlds. Better late than never!

The internet will egg Nintendo for making too many 3DS remakes instead of brand new games if they release it after OoT 3D.

Maybe a full remake versus the enhanced port job of OoT?

You can twist the word as much as you want, but OoT was woked from zero so it was actually a remake. They didn't add anything substantial that was new, but it was still a remake. They didnt change only the textures, they remodelled the whole world.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I'm just going to come out and say what I'm thinking, given the timing of this title:

Full Amiibo Support making each scannable Amiibo a new mask for Link to turn into. If you think the transformation scenes are harrowing now, imagine Link dealing with the horror of transforming into Luigi. Unique attacks for each Amiibo similar to the Deku, Goron and Zora masks. This will be included with some kind of Boss Rush/Challenge Mode that will give you waves of enemies to experiment on using the different masks on.

This is too good not to happen!

Molemitts

If the game had been finished for some time, then it would have been perfect for a release around Halloween, but oh well.

RedShift

I don't think this is being released now because it took 3 years to make, it's being released now because they wanted to space out the three Zelda titles for the 3ds.

I imagine once you have OoT3D's engine and assets, and the original MM64, you could make this game really quickly if you needed to.

Grief.exe

I wouldn't be surprised if it's been finished for two years but strategically delayed for ALBW, WW HD and Hyrule Warriors.

I've always thought this was the case. The engine and the majority of the assets were already ported, OOT 3D was a success, Nintendo would have to tap Grezzo again for MM.

Then you look at the 3DS release calender and it was far too packed to release MM 3D. Looking forward int 2015, the 3DS will have the lightest year it has seen in a long time.

clock town having minor changes like a door being higher isn't really what i would term a complete redesign tbh

Clock Town actually has some major changes to the way the areas are laid out. There was a link in the announcement thread.

That's a looong time for a remaster game. Or is this a remake?

Technically a remaster and not a remake, though this is obviously of higher quality than your typical port.

massoluk

Banned
Actually, I think Majora Mask is a Zelda game that could use a lot of tweaking. Playing it was pretty confusing for me.

Kouriozan

I've always thought this was the case. The engine and the majority of the assets were already ported, OOT 3D was a success, Nintendo would have to tap Grezzo again for MM.

Then you look at the 3DS release calender and it was far too packed to release MM 3D. Looking forward int 2015, the 3DS will have the lightest year it has seen in a long time.
So that mean Grezzo have been working on a new title for quite some time?

Sakura

I hope there is actually a decent amount of new content and not just the same game with new assets and geometry.

Velcro Fly

I feel like there could be some new stuff, even if it's just something like an "easy" mode for new players to be able to enjoy the game without the time stuff being so strict. The first time I played the game I didn't take the moon falling seriously until it did. I honestly thought they were joking.

Shame in three years of development it still looks like shit

OoT3D definitely looked surprisingly better in person, but yeah, not as good as a full priced title should look. Some smaller indoor areas were definitely completely overhauled, yet several parts also looked awkward through keeping N64 architecture, but with new textures plastered on it. Some characters looked better, but there's still agglutinated fingers and other N64 jazz on them everywhere. 3D effect was pretty good at least.

Definitely the best Zelda, but this announcement really ain't too amazing (considering the dev time, I was hoping for the remake turning into a pseudo-sequel like ALBW mid-time). It should be the best way too inaugurate my New 3DS though.

Lutherian

I remember opening the door to that fucking house for the first time at 8 years old and--

Well I don't want to spoil it for those of you who haven't play it yet but...

I literally jumped and turned off my game. Scared the shit out of me. haha good times.

The ending of this quest is quite sad, when you think about
what the little girl had
to endure this whole time.

3 years... I wonder if they were planning a bigger overhaul at some point, and then just settled back into a texture upgrade a la OoT3D.

It looks nice, but I kind of agree that it should probably have more going on with that kind of development cycle. Not complaining, more just confused.

M3d10n

Being Aonuma's first Zelda, I imagine he wanted to make it the definitive version. He also has more leeway to change things without stepping on Myamoto's work.

Doczu

You can twist the word as much as you want, but OoT was woked from zero so it was actually a remake. They didn't add anything substantial that was new, but it was still a remake. They didnt change only the textures, they remodelled the whole world.

has been debunked so many timmes in the majora's announcment thread, so just go there and read. You are wrong.

Moff

Of course it was obvious it was coming, it's a no brainer.

and about the develpment time, I guess that remake is not the only thing that team did in that time

Meesh

I wouldn't be surprised if it's been finished for two years but strategically delayed for ALBW, WW HD and Hyrule Warriors.
Incidentally, I think this gen is the most Zeldafied in history, I mean Link in dlc, the remakes, (the few)VC games and Zelda WiiU all point to this being generation Zelda. Luigi may have had a year...but damn Links got it going on right now.

Ocarina of Time remake's world for the most part looked the same as on N64, the only places that got significant enhancements were rooms that on N64 were originally 2D renders - when they remade those rooms in full 3D they really added a lot of detail. It looks like this time they are adding that level of detail to the entire town, so that could be part of the reason for the lengthy development time. My real hope is for a new second quest that has all new townsperson quests and stories - THAT would have taken a significant amount of time to develop.

As for folks talking about the original game having such a short development, don't forget that they had already been working on parts of it long before Ocarina of Time came out - Ocarina was originally supposed to be a disk-only game, taking advantage of the writeability and size of the disk to include things like full schedules for everyone in town and lots of side quests and stuff. When they decided to switch Ocarina to a cartridge game, Nintendo had to drop a ton of completed content from the game. They planned on adding a lot of it back in an addon disk called "Ura Zelda", but instead decided to use a lot of that content to make a sequel game when the disk system flopped in Japan.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Incidentally, I think this gen is the most Zeldafied in history, I mean Link in dlc, the remakes, (the few)VC games and Zelda WiiU all point to this being generation Zelda. Luigi may have had a year...but damn Links got it going on right now.

The other day, someone pointed out that with the Wii U, 3DS, Virtual Console, and Wii / DS backwards compatibility, it is is now possible to play every single Zelda game on current gen hardware - (except Four Sword Adventures on GC.)

3 years... I wonder if they were planning a bigger overhaul at some point, and then just settled back into a texture upgrade a la OoT3D.

It looks nice, but I kind of agree that it should probably have more going on with that kind of development cycle. Not complaining, more just confused.

But Aonuma is hinting at more than just a texture upgrade. Unless you were speaking purely from a visuals standpoint.

wut

Damn Nintendo for making one of the best Zelda games of all-time instead of releasing a game most Zelda fans have played already!!

Well yeah, not everyone thinks this, hence that remark. ALBW was, as far as I'm concerned, one of the weakest entries in the series.

Peru

Game looks great. And that smoothness.

Well yeah, not everyone thinks this, hence that remark. ALBW was, as far as I'm concerned, one of the weakest entries in the series.

I don't think anyone alse shares your view that they should've put out a remake instead of a critically lauded new entry.

Rich!

The other day, someone pointed out that with the Wii U, 3DS, Virtual Console, and Wii / DS backwards compatibility, it is is now possible to play every single Zelda game on current gen hardware - (except Four Sword Adventures on GC.)

Actually, you can play that via homebrew/nintendont on your wii u along with all other gamecube games.

Err... no, no it wasn't and no it's not. Even in the Iwata Asks they talk about preserving the existing bugs in the code from the original. Not remaking them. Remodeling a game and retexturing it does not mean it's a remade game. Someone else said in another thread a better term to use might be 'remaster', but it's not a remake.

linkboy

And even that's possible with a hacked Wii U

Molemitts

Ocarina of Time remake's world for the most part looked the same as on N64, the only places that got significant enhancements were rooms that on N64 were originally 2D renders - when they remade those rooms in full 3D they really added a lot of detail. It looks like this time they are adding that level of detail to the entire town, so that could be part of the reason for the lengthy development time. My real hope is for a new second quest that has all new townsperson quests and stories - THAT would have taken a significant amount of time to develop.

That's a really good idea, holy crap. I really want that in the game now.

gogogow

Lol, are you just gonna ignore post #7?

More and better lighting, newly made textures in much higher quality and completely redesigned areas with higher polygon count, new character models and not to mention, a better framerate.

Rich!

As I posted in another thread:

I'm really sorry man, don't take it personally - but I have to use this gif:

242.gif

It has been proven that Ocarina of Time 3D is built upon the N64 code - not only for the game mechanics, but for most of the areas too. The ROM has been decrypted and looked into thoroughly. It is built upon the same base code as the N64 version, uses the same system calls and basic geometry and even includes beta textures and models from the original N64 game.

Some of the game's filenames reference the changes Ocarina of Time went through in its multi-year development history.
Ultra 64

The Ultra 64 was the development name for the Nintendo 64. Ocarina of Time 3D contains four Link models. Two are the Child and Adult Link models used in-game: zelda_link_child_new.zar and zelda_link_boy_new.zar. However, the two older Link models used in Ocarina of Time still exist, and their filenames reflect the old nickname for the system.

zelda_link_boy_ultra.zar
zelda_link_child_ultra.zar

This isn't even mentioning that almost every glitch from OOT 64 is still in OOT 3D, even the really obscure ones. Why? Same basic code. Hell, Ocarina of Time 3D even includes the original v1.1 fire temple music with chanting hidden inside the ROM, as well as this beta room from the N64 version that was never actually used:

Now, wheres your proof that it is a remake from the ground up? Nowhere, because it isnt.

nasos_333

HOLD ON A SECOND:

In the unveiling thread i was questioning why if it was a remake and it was using lot of the ground work for the Ocarina 3DS one, why did it take so much time to make.

So according to Aonuma, if they are putting so much effort into this, they should be contemplating a Wii U port in the near future.

Why would you put so much work in new assets for the 3DS low resolution? There's no way they are wasting the effort in doing them in low res when they can scale back the higher res ones for use with 3DS.

Wii U version makes too much sense.

It would probably take them far more than that to make a HD version for WiiU, the increase in detail and resolution alone would need a vastly bigger budget.

Rich!

It would probably take themfar more than that to make a HD version for WiiU, the increase in detail and resolution alone would need a vastly bigger budget.

Actually...all they would need to do is just port it and get the game to run in 1080p, just like with the few PSP games that had that treatment for the PS3. The models and textures in OOT 3D and MM 3D are actually really good and should scale up brilliantly. Its the resolution that lets the graphics down.

Anyhow, in a few years hopefully we will be able to play them in native HD through emulation anyway.

Isn't Grezzo super small? That would explain the dev time, even with some other projects in between.

Yes, they have like 40 employees or some shit, and I doubt all of those are dedicated to actual game development. And they have done a couple of things in between OoT 3D and this.

Goddammit, the Enhanced Port vs. Remake has destroyed this thread already.
But why? When the answer is pretty clear and some very informative folks have takne the time to educate those that are ignorant of the fact that is based on N64 code and not remade from the ground up.

What im really looking forward to is revamped and steamlined UI. Hopefully even more refined than what Ocarina 3DS did.

nasos_333

Actually...all they would need to do is just port it and get the game to run in 1080p, just like with the few PSP games that had that treatment for the PS3. The models and textures in OOT 3D and MM 3D are actually really good and should scale up brilliantly. Its the resolution that lets the graphics down.

Anyhow, in a few years hopefully we will be able to play them in native HD through emulation anyway.

Sure they could, but bringing a game with Zelda name in a low detail mode in WiiU would not be the best advertisement. It would look bad if not treated properly.

I dont agree that would scale up so well as it is.

Top Bottom