• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anouma confirms Majora was in development as soon as they finished Ocarina

BY2K

Membero Americo
Funny how it's taking 3+ years for Majora's Mask to be redone when it was only done in a year on the N64.

Funny how it's taking 3+ years for Majora's Mask to be redone when it was only done in a year on the N64.

:p

As for folks talking about the original game having such a short development, don't forget that they had already been working on parts of it long before Ocarina of Time came out - Ocarina was originally supposed to be a disk-only game, taking advantage of the writeability and size of the disk to include things like full schedules for everyone in town and lots of side quests and stuff. When they decided to switch Ocarina to a cartridge game, Nintendo had to drop a ton of completed content from the game. They planned on adding a lot of it back in an addon disk called "Ura Zelda", but instead decided to use a lot of that content to make a sequel game when the disk system flopped in Japan.

Rich!

Yep, that's true in parts...but Zelda:Gaiden as we know it only started development in mid 1999, which is when the core concept, world and clock structure were implemented.

I followed the game from its very first mention in 1999 onwards, through N64 Magazine, IGN.com and etc. This was the first released screenshot of the game, released in 1999, which included many elements taken on from Ocarina of Time such as the deku shield, link model and HUD:

ZELDAGAIDENTRIO1.jpg

I also remember when the Moon looked like this:

BEAUTYGAIDEN2.jpg

Discovering a few months afterwards that it now had a face was disturbing as hell, yet awesome.

DrWong

The other day, someone pointed out that with the Wii U, 3DS, Virtual Console, and Wii / DS backwards compatibility, it is is now possible to play every single Zelda game on current gen hardware - (except Four Sword Adventures on GC.)

Four Swords Legendary Edition is on my 3DS. It was available for free for a limited time period.

nintendo_zelda-four-swords_3ds-screenshot.jpg

And: Nintendo Is Planning A Future For Both 2D And 3D Metroid

Not

Banned
Geez, I love threads that start with "Aonuma." Dat tasty new Zelda info, no matter how negligible.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It seems a lot of people who only casually glanced at OOT3D never noticed how much work Grezzo put in to updating the graphics without altering the art style. It wasn't a couple of textures replaced, the entire game was overhauled.

The Majora comparison shots are pretty dramatic when faulty memory of the N64 is wiped away. The upgrade is as complete as OOT3D. Thing is, as Grezzo stated about OOT they do not want to change the look of the game too much in the process of upgrading the quality of all assets. That means to some eyes it's still going to look "outdated" as a 3D world designed over ten years ago.

It should be remembered that Nintendo will give a team a lot of time to polish a game if they can afford to have that team working on it a while. Same thing happened with Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon. It was allowed to cook for quite some time and had several passes by producers at Nintendo suggesting tweaks and balances.

TheMoon

ANd Robin William's daughter appearing with Majora's Mask at the Smash Tournament.

That was never a hint, she's just nuts about this game, as evidenced by her twitter reaction to the announcement.

Übermatik;137897284 said:
Holy shit, nice find.

Dude, that was the first and only thing people got excited about when Reggie and Vince showed up for the VGX to show Cranky Kong lol.

Reggie even addressed this in interviews as just a random pin because he likes Metroid.

So basically the Operation Moonfall thing was a big waste of time?

All of these "operations" are a waste of time essentially. The only effect they had were XSEED taking note and approaching NOA to publish TLS and PT in NA.

What sort of newness do you envision there being? (Does it have something to do with that image?) I guess I'm trying to set my expectations low so I can be pleased if it's "just" the same game, and imagining any newness will be (hopefully optional) ways of making it more accessible for people.

Absolutely no clue. It could really be anything so I'm not gonna speculate until we get at least a vague hint at specific additions/changes. Could be difficulty modes, new schedules, full MQ-mode, expanded world ... who knows. The image is from the Miiverse post, just wanted to include it here. :)

Oh, I thought OOT 3D had a Master Quest...? I haven't played it yet but I thought I'd read that.

OoT 3D does have the full-on Master Quest from the GCN disc. Not just that, they even mirrored the game! The GCN version of Master Quest was not mirrored. It was an amazing extra.

Is this game also coming for the old 3ds? Or like Xenoblade and exclusively for the new 3ds?

Question would be answered by looking at the box art ... or the trailer.

New 3DS wasn't even mentioned anywhere.

Maybe ocarina of time is included if you 100% the entire game

Do it Anouma , reward us that did it back in the day :p

3 years huh , hmmmm I wonder what was added x going to be added

Rich!

Maybe ocarina of time is included if you 100% the entire game

Do it Anouma , reward us that did it back in the day :p

hahaha not a chance

What is a possibility:

• Ability to use the Fierce Deity Mask in any area right from the point you get the Ocarina of Time onwards
  • Increased difficulty and damage, due to the inclusion of the Fierce Deity Mask
  • Mirrored World

Rich!

I'd take Master Quest...

I would love a master quest, but I'm sure they will only offer what I listed in my post above. Which would be more than enough. Make the Fierce Deity mask something more than it was in the original version.

Which suddenly makes the Grezzo job posting all the more interesting.
So one year touching up models textures and geometry, two years adding crap loads of content?? Not just another remake? Hype rising!

Probably just had a small team working on it with low priority.

Sami+

I have to be honest, I am disappointed it's on 3DS after all this time. I don't really like using mine anymore, lol.

I really want to play MM though, been waiting for the remaster/remake for years, so I'll get it.

Travo

I'm getting pretty excited for this. When Mm was first released, it hit all the right notes and was just what I neededduring a rough time in my life.

I mean, I know there will be a hero mode, but if it is also a master quest variant, hngg.

Majora is probably one of the easier ones to do that for too, since they would only need to change 4 dungeons.

Muzy72

Banned
The other day, someone pointed out that with the Wii U, 3DS, Virtual Console, and Wii / DS backwards compatibility, it is is now possible to play every single Zelda game on current gen hardware - (except Four Sword Adventures on GC.)
I'll take it a step further. If you owned a 3DS since June 2011, you could play every Zelda on 3DS alone aside from ALttP, WW, TP, and SS! And if new 3DS gets SNES VC, that would only leave 3 games.

3DS is the ultimate Zelda machine.

Meesh

I would positively melt if the game cart was gold with holographic sticker art. Right in da feels.
I would love a master quest, but I'm sure they will only offer what I listed in my post above. Which would be more than enough. Make the Fierce Deity mask something more than it was in the original version.
Yeah, Fierce Deity available from the start on second play through or something, that'd be sweet.

ffdgh

I mean, I know there will be a hero mode, but if it is also a master quest variant, hngg.

Majora is probably one of the easier ones to do that for too, since they would only need to change 4 dungeons.

They could probably go the extra mile to remake the mandatory mini dungeons too. I fear the thought of playing a master quest version of stone tower temple lol.

Chaos17

Shame in three years of development it still looks like shit

Do you really think they put a big team on it ?
It's probably a small team, with the mission to remaster the game and port it.
It can take quite a lot of time, you know if yu want a a free bugs game.

Why not just make a new game then instead of remake one.

Kinda super disappointed at that news.

They already did : ALBW ?
Also Majora mask was a game that people were begging to have. Did you missed all the Nintendo direct thread where people spammed that ?

TheMoon

Why not just make a new game then instead of remake one.

Kinda super disappointed at that news.

You do realize that they did make a new game? lol

It came out last year.

Do you really think they put a big team on it ?
It's probably a small team, with the mission to remaster the game and port it.
It can take quite a lot of time, you know if yu want a a free bugs game.

He's a drive-by troll. Ignore.

Astral Dog

Shame in three years of development it still looks like shit

Even if i doesnt look that good, its still much better than the N64 game and Ocarina 3D, also its still on a 3DS, this is silly.

Weird that Aonuma said this remake is going to be worth our time, i hope its more than just Master Quest.

Chaos17

Well, lets use this as proof of how good it would look:

Thats a PSP game being emulated in native 1080p. No change to any textures, just the rendering resolution. I know the character is low poly, but look at the environment! Now, looking at that, can you honestly say that OOT and MM 3D won't look anything less than stunning in HD? Especially considering the models are really good.
You know what is the funny thing about the FF type 0 game you showed ? Is that is was proven that Square remaster for PS vita they changed the maps in a another thread here on Gaf.
I prefer that Nintendo stay loyal to the game rrather than putting HD graphics just to make it prettier then change the aspect of the maps (meaning they removed some elements on them in FF type 0).

But if if you still insist about aesthetics come first then please leave Nintendo alone. We're not fans of Nintendo because of that. Nintendo is not for you.

Rich!

Yn
But if if you still insist about aesthetics come first then please leave Nintendo alone. We're not fans of Nintendo becaushttp://i.imgur.com/HC2wU.jpge of that. Nintendo is not for you.

What the fuck.

Look at my post history. Do it. Im the biggest nintendo fan you could imagine and have been since 1994.

I have spent over £4,000 on nintendo products since 2011 and I have the club nintendo history to prove it. Also, let me show you this:

That's me. 14 YEARS AGO.

Jamix012

Actually...all they would need to do is just port it and get the game to run in 1080p, just like with the few PSP games that had that treatment for the PS3. The models and textures in OOT 3D and MM 3D are actually really good and should scale up brilliantly. Its the resolution that lets the graphics down.

Anyhow, in a few years hopefully we will be able to play them in native HD through emulation anyway.

They should do an N64 Value Pack or something for Wii U. Includes 1080p Versions of OoT 3D, MM 3D, Starfox 64 3D and Mario 64 DS (The only one that would need a bit of work.) I'd buy it instantly.

Not

Banned
Even if i doesnt look that good, its still much better than the N64 game and Ocarina 3D, also its still on a 3DS, this is silly.

Weird that Aonuma said this remake is going to be worth our time, i hope its more than just Master Quest.

Of course it is. Boss Rush is nothing to sneeze at

he said sarcastically

Easy_D

never left the stone age
They could probably go the extra mile to remake the mandatory mini dungeons too. I fear the thought of playing a master quest version of stone tower temple lol.
Didn't Stone Tower have a part where you must let an enemy catch you to get where you need to go? Tricky dungeon.

fred

With the millions of hints about it, the MM on ALBW and the constant teasing, it's pretty obvious. I don't think that there's anyone that didn't expect this sooner or later. If anything, I'm surprised they didn't announce this during E3.

Now let's wait for the second more teased game, Mother 3's return. :)

Multinational corporations and governments would never allow that to happen. The internet would explode lol

Top Bottom