• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anouma confirms Majora was in development as soon as they finished Ocarina

Not

Banned
I guess I'm finally playing Majora's Mask. The time limit thing always kept me from trying it. I hate games with time limits. Stress me the heck out. I hated the Silent Realms in Skyward Sword, for example

TheMoon

I guess I'm finally playing Majora's Mask. The time limit thing always kept me from trying it. I hate games with time limits. Stress me the heck out. I hated the Silent Realms in Skyward Sword, for example

There is no time limit in Majora's Mask.

maxcriden

Absolutely no clue. It could really be anything so I'm not gonna speculate until we get at least a vague hint at specific additions/changes. Could be difficulty modes, new schedules, full MQ-mode, expanded world ... who knows. The image is from the Miiverse post, just wanted to include it here. :)

OoT 3D does have the full-on Master Quest from the GCN disc. Not just that, they even mirrored the game! The GCN version of Master Quest was not mirrored. It was an amazing extra.

Oh, neat. Well, I am hoping there is some substantive new content, because that'd be great, but I don't want to get my hopes up and be disappointed, so I'm keeping my expectations for that low at this point. I'll be thrilled just to be able to play a remastered version of the game. Thanks for the OoT 3D info as well! I'm hoping the used cart I bought of the game has MQ already unlocked so I can just start from there. I played the original MQ up through partway through the Forest Temple IIRC. I think I got stuck and never came back to it.

Davey Cakes

There is no time limit in Majora's Mask.
Well there is a time limit but it's not particularly "limiting." You just have to do some light management of your activities so that you'll get enough done before having to reset.

It's just part of the game and what makes the experience interesting. You get to see how the three days play out in all the different areas and you get to manipulate events.

I hope when special looking doors in Clock Town are opened they don't change to some basic looking brown door now. I remember seeing the MailMan running back form his delivery to his rainbow colored door and suddenly it turned brown when it opened.

MattyG

Banned
yeah. just look at these shots of Wii games being rendered in native 1080p via dolphin:
HHHHHNG, gimme dat Skyward Sword WiiU remaster, Nintendo. Hell, just remaster/port them all to WiiU. One massive collection. It'll never happen, BUT CAN YOU IMAGINE.

Doczu

Ok, so the work for this game started after releasing OoT. We also know that Grezzo was hiring for a legend last year, so we can safely assume that it was in work for all that time (and might still be for now), dismissing the theory it was just on hold because of the other Zelda games. So... What the hell are they adding to this game? Even though this is a small team (40 people) they had not only the assets (as Nintendo had after releasing the original OoT), but the whole game ready. Is it in any way possible Nintendo would develop extra stuff for this game?

jblank83

While much of the work is retexturing, often models are touched up or completely redone in the OoT/MM 3D remakes (or ports or whatever you want to call them). Link's model is the prime example.

Why not just make a new game then instead of remake one.

Kinda super disappointed at that news.

Because fans vocally demanded OoT 3D and MM, as they clamored for Pikmin 3, and supported their demands with cold hard dollars.

It's not like this used an EAD group's time. It was outsourced to Grezzo.

This is the only other Zelda game with the Pictograph Box. If selfies don't return from Wind Waker HD, I will be disappoint.

Clock Town and other areas appear to have been completely redesigned.

p8HF04L.jpg

a5YGp6u.jpg

My5R54n.jpg

FHz9FFy.jpg

tumblr_neoyvkjYPl1qzp9weo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_neoyvkjYPl1qzp9weo1_1280.jpg

MXDZ8Md.jpg

Ghz2dUx.jpg

wRU0uIC.jpg

O217Pm3.jpg

sVUkKb0.jpg

Just the other day a friend of mine was saying it's a shame the graphics didn't get a big upgrade and I was like "What the fuck are you talking about?"

Megatron

You do realize that they did make a new game? lol

It came out last year.

He's a drive-by troll. Ignore.

I also remember when oracle of ages and seasons came out on the same day. Also majora came out 17 months after Ocarana. If the new majora comes out in April, well that's 17 months after ALBW, so it's not like that would be unprecedented. They must not truly have been working on this for three years, because if they were that's just poor decision making.

I couldn't be more excited to finally give this game a shot; the time manipulation mechanic intimidated the hell out of me as a kid, so it's about time I played this.

wrowa

If you're talking about "smoothening the gameplay experience" in Majora's Mask the save system is always the first thing that comes to mind. I fear that they'll offer the player to hard save at any time in the remake, which makes me a little sad. Only being able to quick save during a "time loop" is certainly not something everyone will be able to enjoy, but time having consequences is what makes Majora's Mask so special in the first place. It's not just a Zelda with an eerie atmosphere. It's a Zelda game where you feel an actual threat, where you know that every move counts. When you know that you're able to just reload and reload over and over again when things go wrong, the game will lose its threatening feeling, the danger the player faces everywhere.

I can understand that a new save system will likely help the sales of the game. I also think that it's kind of a necessity since the way save files work in Majora's Mask won't work really well on a handheld. But I still hope that they won't just implement a simple "save anywhere, load as often as you want" system, because that would just contrast everything Majora's Mask stands for.

That being said, a development period of three years makes me hopeful that we might get some additonal content, unlike OoT3D. It's also kinda ironic that the remake apparently has been longer in the works than the original game.

TheMoon

This is the only other Zelda game with the Pictograph Box. If selfies don't return from Wind Waker HD, I will be disappoint.

I can confirm to you right now that there is no chance selfies will return. The game is not a lighthearted adventure like Wind Waker, the game does not have a focus on expressive faces like Wind Waker. It does not lend itself at all to the selfie cam feature.

Well there is a time limit but it's not particularly "limiting." You just have to do some light management of your activities so that you'll get enough done before having to reset.

It's just part of the game and what makes the experience interesting. You get to see how the three days play out in all the different areas and you get to manipulate events.

Time management=/=time limit.

It bothers me when people say there is a time limit. Dead Rising has a time limit because if you don't beat the game before the time runs out you lose and have to either restart from the beginning or at your last save, Majora's Mask lets you reset the time so it becomes a game about how to best manage your time on each run of the 3 days and you never have to do everything on one cycle just to 100% the game, you can spread that shit out like crazy.

Meesh

I wonder if all the changes include a seamlessly traversable Clock Town, as in no loading/cutting from area to area. Anyways I'm pretty excited wondering what new Easter eggs and modes they tossed in there.

The difference in release dates for OoT and MM, in Japan, is 17 months. This is probably releasing sometime in May or June, so it will be 47~48 months after OoT3D. The remake took ~3x longer to make than the original? Wtf?

MattyG

Banned
The difference in release dates for OoT and MM, in Japan, is 17 months. This is probably releasing sometime in May or June, so it will be 47~48 months after OoT3D. The remake took ~3x longer to make than the original? Wtf?
We don't know what pace they were going at though. The original MM could have been a very fast paced production to get it out ASAP, while this may have been much more spread out due to other things (Four Swords Anniversary, that Mii game) Grezzo was developing, or due to them not wanting it to release around WWHD, Hyrule Warriors, ALBW. I doubt it was 3 years of constant, breakneck pace work, and I agree with others in here that it's probably done/ has been done for a while.

Scrawnton

I'm going with what a lot of people in this thread are saying. Majoras mask was done but they kept it back for release schedules. a link between worlds was coming out and nintendo probably wanted to space things out so the end of 3ds life had some games.

maxcriden

That's a funny idea. I totally forgot about the PictoBox being in MM. It might not fit the tone of this game, though.

I also remember when oracle of ages and seasons came out on the same day. Also majora came out 17 months after Ocarana. If the new majora comes out in April, well that's 17 months after ALBW, so it's not like that would be unprecedented. They must not truly have been working on this for three years, because if they were that's just poor decision making.

I don't see how we can say it's poor decision making when (a) Grezzo doesn't have a huge staff and was working on some other projects in the interim as well, (b) Nintendo had plenty of other Zelda games to release in the meantime so no problem with having Grezzo take their time developing the game, and (c) we don't know how much content has been added.

If you're talking about "smoothening the gameplay experience" in Majora's Mask the save system is always the first thing that comes to mind. I fear that they'll offer the player to hard save at any time in the remake, which makes me a little sad. Only being able to quick save during a "time loop" is certainly not something everyone will be able to enjoy, but time having consequences is what makes Majora's Mask so special in the first place. It's not just a Zelda with an eerie atmosphere. It's a Zelda game where you feel an actual threat, where you know that every move counts. When you know that you're able to just reload and reload over and over again when things go wrong, the game will lose its threatening feeling, the danger the player faces everywhere.

I can understand that a new save system will likely help the sales of the game. I also think that it's kind of a necessity since the way save files work in Majora's Mask won't work really well on a handheld. But I still hope that they won't just implement a simple "save anywhere, load as often as you want" system, because that would just contrast everything Majora's Mask stands for.

That being said, a development period of three years makes me hopeful that we might get some additonal content, unlike OoT3D. It's also kinda ironic that the remake apparently has been longer in the works than the original game.

I agree with everything you wrote here, but FWIW even if they do diminish the difficulty of the game by adding in an easier save feature, gamers like you and I who love the original will be able to ignore it and play the game as we like. I do understand your frustration with the thought of the game not being its unadulterated self, though.

We don't know what pace they were going at though. The original MM could have been a very fast paced production to get it out ASAP, while this may have been much more spread out due to other things (Four Swords Anniversary, that Mii game) Grezzo was developing, or due to them not wanting it to release around WWHD, Hyrule Warriors, ALBW. I doubt it was 3 years of constant, breakneck pace work, and I agree with others in here that it's probably done/ has been done for a while.

I'm going with what a lot of people in this thread are saying. Majoras mask was done but they kept it back for release schedules. a link between worlds was coming out and nintendo probably wanted to space things out so the end of 3ds life had some games.

FWIW, in pretty much every Iwata Asks I've read about a Nintendo game, especially Zelda games, it sounds as though development to one degree or another happens until they absolutely need to stop work on the game and get it ready to ship. So it may very well still be in the final stages of production.

Instro

That's a long time for a game that isn't even a full remake. They must have been sitting on it for a while.

I don't care about selfies, but at least let me keep more than one picture at a time... maybe even in color.

And send them through the mailboxes as a Streetpass feature

disco

I think they left this announcement until now as announcing this at E3 for Spring 2015 would have upset a lot of people and made their Winter 2014 3DS lineup look especially sparse.

SegaShack

wut

Damn Nintendo for making one of the best Zelda games of all-time instead of releasing a game most Zelda fans have played already!!
Seriously. Link Between Worlds is one of the best Zelda games. I was actually amazed that Nintendo managed to make another amazing Zelda game, because after MM the series really disapointed me.

I will always take a new game over a remake. MM3D looks awesome, but I like when they further the series.

gerudoman

The game resets back to the first day when time is up. But yeah, it's best if you do it yourself. Also not sure what sort of items you lose when the game resets that way.

When time's up, you get the Game Over screen, which means you return to the last time you saved using the Song of Time and lose EVERYTHING you've got and done in that session. The Song of Time takes you to the first day keeping masks, weapons, songs and the rupees you've deposited in the bank, so there's no point in not using it other than seeing that wonderful armaggedon scene at least once.

I'm pretty sure the Pictograph Box will get revamped and be integrated in a new sidequest, as it was a bit useless and felt out of place in the original. The return of the Nintendo Gallery in particular would be awesome.

I can confirm to you right now that there is no chance selfies will return. The game is not a lighthearted adventure like Wind Waker, the game does not have a focus on expressive faces like Wind Waker. It does not lend itself at all to the selfie cam feature.
But at least the option to take in game pictures with the picto box to share them in Miiverse or upload to the internet would be nice. Having so many characters and situation in this game it could be a nice feature to have.

Mak

As for folks talking about the original game having such a short development, don't forget that they had already been working on parts of it long before Ocarina of Time came out - Ocarina was originally supposed to be a disk-only game, taking advantage of the writeability and size of the disk to include things like full schedules for everyone in town and lots of side quests and stuff. When they decided to switch Ocarina to a cartridge game, Nintendo had to drop a ton of completed content from the game. They planned on adding a lot of it back in an addon disk called "Ura Zelda", but instead decided to use a lot of that content to make a sequel game when the disk system flopped in Japan.

Zelda Gaiden (Majora's Mask) and Ura Zelda ("Another Zelda", "Master Quest) were two separate projects. Majora's Mask was made because Aonuma didn't simply want to rearrange the dungeons from OoT, but make a new Zelda game.

In Japan, the 2nd Quest of The Legend of Zelda 1 with rearranged dungeons (and changes in the overworld) is also called "Ura Zelda", so if it had been localized today, the 2nd Quest would have been called "Master Quest".

There is a lot of fan speculation about what "Ura Zelda" was that hyped it up compared to the final release on GameCube as "Master Quest". That's not to say that there wasn't other plans, or many ideas that were mentioned that they could do with the hardware. The one core idea of Ura Zelda that was repeated (and was Aonuma's motivation for not working on it) was that Ura Zelda was mainly an expansion for OoT with rearranged dungeons.

They not only didn't use the 64DD because its release wasn't working out, but also because Zelda wouldn't work with all the loading from the disc and the large size of the game.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/1/4
Osawa: Right. Koizumi-san said, "I can't move my Link on the Nintendo 64DD."

They didn't just take content from a 64DD version an put it into Majora's Mask. The development of Majora's Mask (Zelda Gaiden) started mainly with Aonuma (who was dungeon director for OoT) and a small team until Aonuma realized it was going to take more work than he thought, and Miyamoto pulled Yoshiaki Koizumi off of his current project (which featured a time system) to co-direct.

Ura Zelda & Zelda Gaiden

1999 - http://www.zeldadungeon.net/Interviews-1999-08-27-IGN-64-Shigeru-Miyamoto.php

IGN64: We played Gaiden a short while ago and it's very impressive. But we're curious, will Link grow up in Gaiden?

Miyamoto: I actually don't know, but I heard that the adult Link will probably appear this time too. Also, if you say that Gaiden on the show floor is really good stuff I can feel very comfortable because that means my staff members have already become better than me when it comes to game creation.

IGN64: Tell us about "Ura Zelda."

Miyamoto: Ura Zelda is based on The Ocarina of Time for 64DD. It has the same construction of gameplay. It's very much a parody game based on Ocarina of time, but with new dungeons to explore. It even features the same storyline.

Miyamoto Shows off Zelda 64 - May 1998
http://www.ign.com/articles/1998/05/27/miyamoto-shows-off-zelda-64
Q: Will there be a 64DD Zelda or an add-on?

Miyamoto: I don't know if "add-on" is the right terminology. For the 64DD, we are working on a Zelda game, which we call "Ura Zelda," where you first play the initial disk version of Zelda -- after finishing everything, you can enter into the world, into the basic design of the same. This sort of WaZelda is now in the works for the 64DD.

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/makzelda/interviews/zgmiyamotosw99.html
http://www.zeldadungeon.net/Interviews-1999-08-27-IGN-64-Shigeru-Miyamoto.php
http://www.ign.com/articles/1998/11/18/zelda-dd-the-other-adventure
http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/08/26/ura-zelda-complete
http://www.ign.com/articles/1999/08/21/gaiden-and-ura-zelda-split

Incite Video Games magazine December 1999
Incite Game Magazine: Is this game system exactly the same or have you added any new features?

Miyamoto: Yes, its basically the same except for the masks. When you wear the masks you can transform into another creature and then you have controls to master.

Incite Game Magazine: Are there still plans to release a 64DD Zelda ?

Miyamoto: Distinct from this new version, we do have another 64DD Zelda game. We've currently suspended development because we're busy with so many projects and we wanted to concentrate on Zelda Gaiden, but we're still working on it. We weren't sure which one to do first but for the moment we've put the 64DD to one side to do this new Zelda. However, there's no relationship between them at all. Zelda Gaiden is an original story, while the 64DD uses Ocarina of Time as the base theme. In the 64DD version, certain elements in the story send you off on different paths.

Incite Game Magazine: What's different about the 64DD version?

Miyamoto: Well, simply put, every time you go into a dungeon, the tasks will be different. If there was a treasure chest in a certain location the last time you went in, then the next time you in it won't be there.

Incite Game Magazine: Will we be about to play an online Zelda?

Miyamoto: Up to now we haven't really started to think about this. However, were not looking to create a multi-player on-line system for Zelda. With the 64DD's read/write capability, we're thinking along the lines of a new dungeon data downloads, and swapping your data with other players.

Miyamoto and Aonuma on Zelda - Dec 2002
http://www.ign.com/articles/2002/12/04/miyamoto-and-aonuma-on-zelda?page=5
Q: Regarding Ura Zelda, is there any different between the 64DD version that was in development and the GameCube version? Did it use any functionality with the 64DD? And, is it coming to the U.S.?

Miyamoto-san: Although we did develop Ura for the 64DD, it didn't use many of the special features. So it was very easy to port over to the GameCube without cutting any features. Why we did it, well that was because the 64DD was only released in Japan and it was only sold to subscribers of the RandNet system. For a long time we wanted to make it available for play and find a way to do that. It was expensive to make cartridges, so we had through about different ways. One thing we thought about was tie-ups with magazines. Once GameCube moved to disc media, though, it became much more feasible to make it available. In terms of how we've done it, we didn't want to make it limited edition. So we've tried to make it available to as many people as possible.

Also, I'm not sure if you're aware but Ura Zelda isn't very different from the Ocarina of Time; it's more of a second quest. People who played through Ocarina of Time would be able to play through Ura Zelda and get a few laughs at some things, find some things more difficult, and take a few varied paths. However, even if you do play all the way through the end it will not unlock anything special.

Majora's Mask
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/makzelda/interviews/nom_mm.html
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/makzelda/interviews/noa_mm.html
http://www.glitterberri.com/ocarina-of-time/how-ura-zelda-became-majoras-mask/
http://www.ign.com/articles/2004/03/26/gdc-2004-the-history-of-zelda
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/makzelda/interviews/mmleungjournal.html (Localization)

Development of Majora's Mask started around February of 1999, and took about a year to make, releasing in April, 2000 in Japan and October/November 2000 worldwide. Ocarina of Time was released worldwide November/December 1998.
http://www.glitterberri.com/majoras...s-always-bringing-something-new-to-the-table/

Iwata Asks - Zelda: Spirit Tracks - 2009
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/ds/zelda/0/0

Aonuma: That's right. It made us very, very happy (laughs). Even after its release, I felt that we'd really done something special; I felt very fulfilled. At the time, I think (Shigeru) Miyamoto-san had that same feeling, but apparently he also felt as though there was still quite a lot left to do.

Iwata: Yes, Miyamoto-san really is greedy about things like that, isn't he. (laughs)

Aonuma: And so he said: we'd already made 3D models for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. By changing the situation, couldn't we make new ways to play, a new story?

Iwata: So you made The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

Aonuma: No, we didn't just start making The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, not right away. There was actually a flip-side, and in the beginning, the idea was to make a "Ura (Flip-Side) Zelda". Iwata That "Ura Zelda" (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: Master Quest) was developed for the 64DD5. Ultimately, we recorded it on a limited edition disc that went to people who reserved The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

Aonuma: Ultimately, other staff members handled The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: Master Quest. Still, as someone who has been in charge of the dungeons, I just couldn't get that excited over making a flip-side for them. I couldn't see it turning into a new The Legend of Zelda, either. But we'd been told to make The Legend of Zelda. It isn't as though we could just say, "I don't want to", and end it there. At that point, Miyamoto-san gave us a tradeoff: he said, if we could make a new The Legend of Zelda game in one year, then it wouldn't have to be a "flip-side".

Iwata: Well! So you're saying The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask was the result of your team picking up the gauntlet he'd thrown down? (laughs)

Aonuma: Yes. That was the deal. But The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time did take three years to make, you know!?

Aonuma: And we were supposed to make its sequel in a year... At first, we had absolutely no idea what sort of thing we were supposed to make, and we just kept expanding our plans... At that point, the "Three-Day System"7, the idea of a compact world to be played over and over again, came down from Miyamoto-san and one other director, (Yoshiaki) Koizumi-san8. We added that to the mix, and then, finally, we saw the full substance of a The Legend of Zelda game we could make in one year.

Iwata: Actually, I feel as though, back then, we were given a glimpse of the concept that "Deep, compact play is one form of the games of the future". I think in that sense, as a product, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask was a big turning point for Nintendo. That said, I had no idea it was the result of an argument. (laughs)

Aonuma: That's correct. (laughs) Still, in the beginning, it was all trial and error. Ultimately, we adopted the "three-day system", and made it so that, if you couldn't clear the game inside of three days, the world was destroyed.

Iwata: It turned out to be a very tense game, didn't it.

HYDE

Banned

Same here...it's my favorite series, but I've never played through this one because of the time/day mechanic crap. So excited to play this on my OG 3DS.

Megatron

I don't see how we can say it's poor decision making when (a) Grezzo doesn't have a huge staff and was working on some other projects in the interim as well, (b) Nintendo had plenty of other Zelda games to release in the meantime so no problem with having Grezzo take their time developing the game, and (c) we don't know how much content has been added.

Well that's what I mean, I don't imagine it was a major focus for the staff for most of those three years. Three years is the time it takes to make a new Zelda not remaster an old one. Did they say for sure they are adding content? I was envisioning hat it would be like Ocarana, basically nothing added, just a port.

I've read the thread but I still can't fully make sense of this timeframe...

How long did OoT take to develop then, knowing they had none of the ground work they now have for MM? What year did developers first begin working on 3DS games?

People always make Majora's Mask out to be this stressful time trial. It's really not that bad, I never found it restricting. From the get go you can slow down and speed up the flow of time. The longer you play the easier the game makes it to skip back to where you were.

Neiteio

Same here...it's my favorite series, but I've never played through this one because of the time/day mechanic crap. So excited to play this on my OG 3DS.
There's no time limit in Majora's Mask. You can time-travel an infinite number of times. Just pick a goal (I.E. reach a dungeon entrance and activate a warp point, etc), and then give yourself a full 72 hours to complete it (or 144 hours, with the Inverted Song of Time). If you get halfway through a dungeon and obtain the item, it'll basically bypass the first half of the dungeon on your next attempt. But I finished each dungeon with like 48 hours to spare, so that's never an issue, anyways.

What you get in return are fleshed-out NPCs that have different schedules on different days and different nights, and events that happen in different places at different times whether you're there to see them or not, and you can influence the outcome of these characters and events, with many surprising twists and turns. The time system also allows you to replay every sidequest, dungeon, boss, etc., to your heart's content, without having to start a new file.

There are many quests I love to play over and over, like racing the Deku Butler and the Gorons and the Beaver Brothers, or defending Romani Ranch from aliens and Cremia from bandits, or using certain masks to win the doggy races or turn chicks to cuccos, or stopping the bomb thief, or reuniting Anju and Kafei, or rescuing the eggs from the Pirate Fortress, or fighting King Ikana and his men (still some of the coolest enemy designs in the series), and so on.

Seriously. THIS GAME.

maxcriden

Man, I sure hope so. I keep having this recurring worry that they hold off as a launch title for their next hardware.

Don't worry, LFK--Metroid isn't a big enough franchise to be a launch title. ;)

Well that's what I mean, I don't imagine it was a major focus for the staff for most of those three years. Three years is the time it takes to make a new Zelda not remaster an old one. Did they say for sure they are adding content? I was envisioning hat it would be like Ocarana, basically nothing added, just a port.

Well, from the OP:

We didn't want to say it was being developed until we were at a point where we could proudly say that this is not going to be just another remake and that it's going to be worth your time.

That seems to indicate there will be some form of new content, whether it's an Easy Mode/Easier Saving or something else, is anyone's guess at this point. FWIW, each Zelda takes a different amount of time to develop. I want to say Skyward took like five years.

I still think it could have been Grezzo's main focus for three years, given the size of the team there and that they were working on other projects as well, but we'll just have to wait for the inevitable Iwata Asks
:'(
to find out.

Top Bottom