• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Button Overlay on Multiplatform PC Games

So, when I first started up Assassin's Creed: Unity on the PC using my DualShock 4, I was pretty shocked to see the Playstation button overlay automatically being used. I've been used to seeing nothing but the 360 overlay on multiplatform ports for years now. I mean, I've grown accustomed to seeing the 360 buttons and translating them to the PS buttons (used a DS3 on PC before I got my DS4) over the years, but it was really nice just seeing the button prompts for the controller I'm actually using.

Are there any other PC games out there that use the Playstation button overlay when using the PS4 controller (or at least have the option)?

If not, it's a feature I hope becomes a standard in the future. Multiplatform games already have the overlays created for each system, so there really isn't too much of a reason not to match it up with the controller you are using on PC.

I was also impressed by the fact that Ubisoft just used a simple plug and play solution. It automatically detected the DS4 that I had plugged in and switched to the correct overlay. I hope more companies start including this auto-detection in their PC releases, even though the DS4 doesn't have official drivers out for it.

List of games that support the DualShock 4 on PC:

• Far Cry 4
  • Assassin's Creed: Unity
  • Valiant Hearts: The Great War
  • Shovel Knight
  • Transistor
  • Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
  • Cook, Serve, Delicious!
  • The Binding of Issac: Rebirth

Kezen

Banned
Far Cry 4 does that also.
Only works if your DS4 is wired though, what intrigues me is that it works without any official drivers provided by Sony.

I was hoping for this with Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes :(

One a game's released on PC, how quickly can someone mod in the PS button overlay?

Will probably be more common now with developers who pass off PC gameplay with console button maps as the console version during trailers and demos.

the option should be there for both 360 and PS button prompts these days, especially if the game was released on a PS platform. The work has already been done as far as the button prompts go, just throw them in there and let us have the option

Baleoce

FFXIV: A Realm Reborn has this option on PC. You can choose between ABXY or PS Style for face buttons regardless of if you're using XInput / DInput pads.

SerTapTap

I've noticed some indie games do this and I LOVE it. Though games need to offer it as a toggle, because most only show you PS prompts if you're using the stock drivers for the DS4. I generally use DS4Windows to emulate a 360 controller, so games think I'm using a 360 pad. Great since 10x as many games support xinput, but I still want my PS prompts.

The Swapper just gives you an option for PS button prompts IIRC.

Only wired though.

Works on bluetooth too. Hold Share button and PS button while turning it on to put it into pairing mode.

How much lag does DS4windows create? I tried it the other day and I could of sworn their was a big of lag on my button presses. Nothing serious, but its there.

I was hoping for this with Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes :(

One a game's released on PC, how quickly can someone mod in the PS button overlay?

Depends on how moddable a game is. Dark Souls 2 got one pretty quickly thanks to Gedosato and its texture modding capability. Resident Evil 6 also got one. But most games won't have that option, which is annoying to say the least.

Vlodril

Really hope more games do that because trying to do qte's (see mordor) with xbox prompts was frustrating as hell.

Depends on how moddable a game is. Dark Souls 2 got one pretty quickly thanks to Gedosato and its texture modding capability. Resident Evil 6 also got one. But most games won't have that option, which is annoying to say the least.

Oh no. :( If there's no option for the games I like, then that is painful.

Really hope more games do that because trying to do qte's (see mordor) with xbox prompts was frustrating as hell.

The most frustrating conversion has to be the Blue X to Square. My first instinct is always to just hit X, which is actually the A button. I have no problems when I see A because my reaction to that is X as well.

mclem

Add Shovel Knight to the list.

fulEGLd.jpg

Plays great with a DS4, too.

SerTapTap

How much lag does DS4windows create? I tried it the other day and I could of sworn their was a big of lag on my button presses. Nothing serious, but its there.

None that I can tell. Be sure "hide DS4" or whatever is enabled. I've noticed the DS4's bluetooth isn't so great so you might try wired, and make sure DS4 Windows is all up to date. I've played very precise games without issue via DS4Windows though, I don't think it's anything inherent to it.

The most frustrating conversion has to be the Blue X to Square. My first instinct is always to just hit X, which is actually the A button. I have no problems when I see A because my reaction to that is X as well.

X prompts are the only ones that screw me up, everything else I internalize to a direction on PS, X I have to think about, but only if prompted. Which is part of why keeping prompts to a minimum is nice, if anything prompts screw me up more than reacting on instinct.

The multiplatform games already have these made up, so it doesn't seem like it would be a huge deal for every title to include them in the PC version. Glad to see the list of those that do is growing.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
DirectInput = playstation prompts

XInput = Xbox prompts

can anyone confirm this?

Valnen

I hope this becomes a trend. I don't like the Xbox button icons. I mod in Playstation button icons whenever the option is available to me. It's nice to see that becoming no longer necessary.

OmegaDL50

the option should be there for both 360 and PS button prompts these days, especially if the game was released on a PS platform. The work has already been done as far as the button prompts go, just throw them in there and let us have the option

That reminds me, Valkyria Chronicles was a PS3 console exclusive at one point.

Does it show 360 button prompts with a 360 controller plugged in?

FFXIV has the PS buttons layout for you to choose even if you're not using a DS3/4.

yep. mapping issue aside it's great and i hope more devs add it to their games. heres hoping square patch it into the PC version of XIII, XIII-2 and LR though lol.

I got the Playstation prompts when I used my DS4 controller with Valiant Hearts. I'm glad that developers are able to add custom controller layouts for various controllers nowadays.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
That reminds me, Valkyria Chronicles was a PS3 console exclusive at one point.

Does it show 360 button prompts with a 360 controller plugged in?

Yeah. Durante also made a mod that adds Dualshock overlays

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
DS4 shows up as a HID when plugged in over USB.. it seems to make sense that some devs are choosing to look at your controller and if it's a DS4 to just use the main control API brought over from the console version.. Seems like little work that will go a long way toward giving your game some polish.

Erudite

Shout out to Chubigans for having it in Cook, Serve, Delicious! Played hours of it with my DS4 without a hitch.

DS4 shows up as a HID when plugged in over USB.. it seems to make sense that some devs are choosing to look at your controller and if it's a DS4 to just use the main control API brought over from the console version.. Seems like little work that will go a long way toward giving your game some polish.

It really does make a game feel more polished right off the bat and it seems like such a simple thing to implement.

SerTapTap

Far Cry and Unity officially support wireless? Wow. Do any indie games also have built in wireless functionality?

What do you mean "support" wireless? The DS4 simply connects wirelessly via Direct Input. I don't believe it's any different at all to the game.

Not completely related but are there any games that show the XB1 buttons rather than 360 buttons? I know Evolve Alpha did but I don't think any others do.

What do you mean "support" wireless? The DS4 simply connects wirelessly via Direct Input. I don't believe it's any different at all to the game.

So, if im playing Unity or FC4 with the DS4 on bluetooth, is it recommended to kill DS4Windows? to get correct overlays?

Prelude.

Oh, that's great, I always hoped devs would start including them since if I play something after a long time of not playing anything on pc I'd often screw up some QTE-like thing due to the visual similarities between A/X and Triangle/X.

Eh, you get used to it after a while. I can play games with 360 button prompts with no issues.

Unfortunately, I'm very fussy when it comes to things like this, so I really need to play it with the correct prompts, which is why I'm so worried when a game I look forward to doesn't have them.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Far Cry 4 does that also.
Only works if your DS4 is wired though, what intrigues me is that it works without any official drivers provided by Sony.

It's plain nuts still that there are no official drivers provided by Sony, period.

Only wired though.

??? Each dev making their own drivers and dropping them in? Open source? SECRET DRIVERS?!?

Top Bottom