• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Button Overlay on Multiplatform PC Games

ash_ag

Transistor does this. Really hope to see this a lot more often.

This just sold me on a DualShock 4. I heard the Light Bar works as well.

I wonder how Sony feels about this. The DualShock overlay is a Sony trademark as far as I know, and are the light bar APIs free to use for anyone? I'm positively surprised they aren't blocking this. The PC gamepad business isn't such a big opportunity for Sony considering only a small portion may be interesting playing with a DualShock on their PC (let alone caring about the buttons overlay), and the multiplatform games that support DS4 are also on PlayStation. They aren't hurt either, of course -- one would have to have a PS4 or have bought a DS4 to begin with. But I feel that at best they can be quietly neutral about the whole thing.

OP, how about keeping the list of games from comments?

Deal.

List added to the OP.

List of games that support the DualShock 4 on PC:

• Far Cry 4
  • Assassin's Creed: Unity
  • Valiant Hearts: The Great War
  • Shovel Knight
  • Transistor
  • Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
  • Cook, Serve, Delicious!
  • The Binding of Issac: Rebirth

SerTapTap

Wait. Is there drivers now that are official?

It's just straight up directinput, plug and play. Most indie games support it and some VERY recent AAAs. Use DS4Windows to emulate a 360 pad for even better compatibility though (and fancy controller profiles and crap).

Wait. Is there drivers now that are official?

Ds4 has never needed drivers. Any game developer can simply check the device ID and natively support the controller. The third party drivers are just for emulating a 360 controller which isn't needed with games offering direct support for the DS4.

FFXIV has the PS buttons layout for you to choose even if you're not using a DS3/4.

That's not really a full native support like FC4/Unity, you can see touchpad prompts in these games. Heck you can even use the touchpad to quickly scroll through weapon wheel in FC4.

Nabs

This just sold me on a DualShock 4. I heard the Light Bar works as well.

I wonder how Sony feels about this. The DualShock overlay is a Sony trademark as far as I know, and are the light bar APIs free to use for anyone? I'm positively surprised they aren't blocking this. The PC gamepad business isn't such a big opportunity for Sony considering only a small portion may be interesting playing with a DualShock on their PC (let alone caring about the buttons overlay), and the multiplatform games that support DS4 are also on PlayStation. They aren't hurt either, of course -- one would have to have a PS4 or have bought a DS4 to begin with. But I feel that at best they can be quietly neutral about the whole thing.

I'm not sure the lightbar works in Transistor anymore. It worked on launch, but that was it. I'm not sure if support was removed, or just wasn't solid enough.

That's not really a full native support like FC4/Unity, you can see touchpad prompts in these games. Heck you can even use the touchpad to quickly scroll through weapon wheel in FC4.

That's really impressive. I hope other developers do the same on PC.

Schadows

Neo Member
DirectInput = playstation prompts

XInput = Xbox prompts

can anyone confirm this?
Unfontunately NO, it doesn't seem to work that way (MotionInJoy provide a DXInput implementation but ACU doesn't recognize the controller at all).

Is there a way to to do a basic emulation of the DS4 controller with a DS3 or any DXInput controller ?

sykotikman

Neo Member
Hi ,
just been reading about using the ds4 with the PC
and see a few of you guys are able to get the PS buttons showing on screen
i have been playing Assassins creed unity , tomb raider , and now wolfenstein
but all i get is the Xbox prompts ,

im using ds4tool , with the PC
iv tried connecting the DS4 with the PC through bluetooth or usb (with out using the ds4tool )
i am able to connect it but , when i come to play a game ,
say AC-U, at the start of the game i try scroll down to pick an option but it keeps scrolling back up by it's self
if i manage to start the game, it just starts with the guy just standing in one place with the camera view just spinning around
if i start the ds4tool , it sorts it self out , but im back to xbox buttons

Can anyone tell me please, how do i go about getting the PlayStation buttons ,

Not completely related but are there any games that show the XB1 buttons rather than 360 buttons? I know Evolve Alpha did but I don't think any others do.

Most of the recent Ubi games do. I've got a Xbone controller I use when I'm at my PC, but 360 wireless ones for TV play. Definitely ACU, and I think Watch_Dogs and The Crew both show the new select/back/menu button (guessing its just picking up the Xbone drivers, as I've not found a way to switch it to a normal back button displayed).

billsmugs

The Talos Principle, Octodad and OlliOlli all support the DS4 and show the correct button prompts and controller images too. (The Talos Principle might have only supported the DS3 natively at launch from what I remember, but I started it up now to check and it showed me a DS4 in the controller map, so it must have been patched in).

I hope this becomes a standard trend, it's so much nicer to see the correct button prompts, especially for QTEs.

Corpekata

Banned
GTA V supports it natively (as in don't need third party software) but no buttons.

Dunno if there's a resource out there.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
DS4Windows is the thing you want to use x-input-wise. Anything that supports D-Input will use it without the xinput emulation though, but few will have prompts.

Circinus

That's neat.

Would definitely be even more neat if SCE would officially make DualShocks compatible with PC (official drivers). Would hope for the same with Project Morpheus. :p Since they're aiming to really make PlayStation a brand, and not just a console, it could somewhat fit with their strategy.

Sort of related, anyone know a good way to boost my mobo's bluetooth reception? I feel like my DS4 has way too much trouble trying to connect to my PC. My motherboard came with an antenna for wifi, anyone know if it works for the bluetooth as well?

data

There's a free platformer on Steam called Fork Harker's Holiday Profit Hike that also shows DS4 buttons when you use a DS4 controller.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Sort of related, anyone know a good way to boost my mobo's bluetooth reception? I feel like my DS4 has way too much trouble trying to connect to my PC. My motherboard came with an antenna for wifi, anyone know if it works for the bluetooth as well?
An external USB adapter might be needed

Only wired though.

Uh no. You can use DS4 with or without a 3rd party wrapper on windows wirelessly. It detects it as a wireless controller. You pair it just like any Bluetooth device.

You're thinking of the Xbox One controller which only works wired on PC.

Hi ,
just been reading about using the ds4 with the PC
and see a few of you guys are able to get the PS buttons showing on screen
i have been playing Assassins creed unity , tomb raider , and now wolfenstein
but all i get is the Xbox prompts ,

im using ds4tool , with the PC
iv tried connecting the DS4 with the PC through bluetooth or usb (with out using the ds4tool )
i am able to connect it but , when i come to play a game ,
say AC-U, at the start of the game i try scroll down to pick an option but it keeps scrolling back up by it's self
if i manage to start the game, it just starts with the guy just standing in one place with the camera view just spinning around
if i start the ds4tool , it sorts it self out , but im back to xbox buttons

Can anyone tell me please, how do i go about getting the PlayStation buttons ,

DS4tool basically "tricks" your PC into thinking your DS4 is an Xbox 360 controller. Try quiting any game loading software too along with DS4tool, like Steam, Unity, and Origin and then try it again.

AEREC

Was suprised when I played Crypt of the NecroDancer this morning with my DS4 and it had playstation button prompts. Too bad it seems like you cant have both keyboard mappings and controllers mappings going at the same time.

Top Bottom