• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age Inquisition cutscene micro stutter during all cutscenes

hlhbk

There is significant micro stutter during cut scenes in Dragon Age on all platforms. There is apparently a work around on PC. Can anyone from Bioware let us know if this is being fixed on consoles????

ive noticed this too. I didnt know the technical name for it..but some cut scenes looked a bit off like frames were juddering or skipping or something.

yami4ct

Doesn't this have something to do with the cutscene framerate being 30 FPS rather than 60 like the rest of the game? I thought this was caused by them doing that because that's how they synched their animation and VO. If so, no reason to believe they will or even can patch it out on consoles.

Does that PC fix break anything else? I'm actually curious to hear how this works.

sn00zer

I think someone mentioned this has to do with the animation system in place...ill be damned if I can find the comment though

Zomba13

Doesn't this have something to do with the cutscene framerate being 30 FPS rather than 60 like the rest of the game? I thought this was caused by them doing that because that's how they synched their animation and VO. If so, no reason to believe they will or even can patch it out on consoles.

Does that PC fix break anything else? I'm actually curious to hear how this works.

It was really jarring for me then I used the 60fps fix and it's been fine so far. They have said that it was capped due to potential sync issues but so far I've not noticed a problem.

hlhbk

Consoles are 30 fps

Aeana

Disable all of your overlays, including the in-game Origin overlay, but also things like Afterburner's OSD. Getting rid of these has alleviated the stuttering for most people.

EDIT: I see, I didn't know it also happens on consoles.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
if only there were at least 2 or 3 other Dragon Age threads, 2 of which in fact talk about this very issue, and offer some solutions that might or might not work... come on dude :p

hlhbk

if only there were at least 2 or 3 other Dragon Age threads, 2 of which in fact talk about this very issue, and offer some solutions that might or might not work... come on dude :p

This is a major issue that needs its own thread considering there is no fix for the consoles.

The issue is present on all platforms. And it's a pretty huge issue.

Come on dude.

Nif

Speaking of which, saw this on reddit possibly. I removed the fps cap in cutscenes on PC by adding this in Game Properties in origin:

-GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60+

Vestal

Gold Member
Same thing happens on the Xbox One.. Its pretty evident, and it only happens during cut scenes.

Speaking of which, saw this on reddit possibly. I removed the fps cap in cutscenes on PC by adding this in Game Properties in origin:

Yup, this helped make the cutscenes a lot better for me. Some people have reported issues however.

JohngPR

Bioware's writing is so bad that even their QA department skips the cutscenes.

liz-lemon-w352.gif

:-/

LowParry

I honestly don't know what happened to cause the stuttering to fix itself. I'm 4 hours into the game and cutscenes are perfectly fine. AMD beta driva. Command shortcut fix. Mantle. MSAA off. Settings mixed with high/ultra. It started shitty but after about an hour, it's been fine. The benchmark in game is shitty though.

Lucifon

Any word on fixing this on PS4? It majorly pissed me off in Alien and that barely had any cutscenes in comparison to what DA:I will have. Waiting for it to launch here in the UK so I've not witnessed it yet, but this is a killer for me :(

For the pc people can someone lost known fixes?

I assume you meant "post". Here:

Ingame cutscenes are locked to 30 FPS. It can be raised to 60 by right-clicking the Dragon Age Inquisition icon, in the Origin game library, and applying this line in the dialogue box:
Can be some minor issues running this (mainly with multiplayer), but it can be easily added/removed as needed.

From - http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dragon_Age:_Inquisition

And you can change 60 to whatever value you want.

I have done this and so far it has worked with no issues. However, I have only played the game for about 3 hours.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

This does not work in all cutscenes and can cause other bugs. Just a warning.

Add -GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60+ at the end of DA shortcut on you desktop, should make it much smoother.

EDIT: beaten

Noticed it right away on the PS4. Thought at first maybe the game was installing in the background or something, but it's pretty consistent through every cutscene as the OP points out. Hope this gets fixed soon, since it is pretty visually jarring when you go from smooth gameplay to a stuttering cutscene.

Cheech

It's more of a curiosity than anything that breaks the game, which is amazing.

Would be nice if it got a patch, but 9 hours in it's hardly serious enough to make me not want to play the game.

Which is going to be the solid GOTY, I think. It's that good.

Xbone, btw

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Are companies just forgetting how to make videogames or something? This year has been ridiculous.

Was looking into picking up the PS4 version at some point later in the year, so hope this gets resolved on there before then.

Hedrush

It's more of a curiosity than anything that breaks the game, which is amazing.

Would be nice if it got a patch, but 9 hours in it's hardly serious enough to make me not want to play the game.

Which is going to be the solid GOTY, I think. It's that good.

Xbone, btw

As above it doesn't bother me in the slightest, it doesn't effect gameplay or immersion, can easily live with it. PS4 btw

hlhbk

So apparently Bioware(Allan Schumacher) did respond to this in a thread on their forum:

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/399000-the-dai-twitter-thread/page-2773#entry17740656

Fixing the problem would be a lot of work, and likely won't be patched (definitely not day one) unless other, more serious issues end up manifesting as a result of this system.

This was in response to going from 60 fps to 30 fps during all cutscenes on PC. WTF Bioware put in the work! Why release a broken game?

Top Bottom