• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny locks non-DLC users out from Weekly Strikes when DLC content is in rotation

Seanspeed

Banned
How many expansions are coming out for this joint? Are they going to have a weekly for each iteration of new content? I don't know. I suppose they COULD do this, or they could just take the hit that this will cause for (let's be real here) a small portion of the player base and just move on.
I've explained how they'd handle it after more DLC comes out. Would still basically work the same way.

No doubt just moving on is what they'll do instead of putting it a little effort and making sure all their customers will have a Strike to play any given week. Not the worst thing in the world, but a bit lousy.

There's no way I'm paying the price they're asking for the dlc so I guess now is the best time to trade it in. I did have fun for what it's worth.

Damn, I love love love this game
But Bungie is acting so damn clueless
Would it be that hard to invite 3 people from here and tell them what needs to be done?.

Its like its still in development BETA stage

Like some steam early access nightmare except you have to pay huge sums of money.

And Activision has ridiculous resources

ITs a hot mess and embarrassing.

Maybe in a few years when they have a more complete game would it be worth playing

Its a damn shame because I like the base game despite it being a shell

tbm24

So now it will take me even longer to get to 30? I wasn't planning on buying the expansion until getting there. I only just got to 21. Such a shame.

This should have no real bearing on you hitting 30 in a timely manner. You weren't going to do it in 1 solitary week.

Are they just trying to extend the longevity of the game by making it harder to hit the cap? When the game first came out, it seemed like they really didn't know what they wanted their endgame to look like, so they just kinda said "eh, you can grind for loot" and that was it. I was hoping the DLC would add more interesting endgame content. Now I feel even less incentive to go back, as this feel like more of the same.

It's far easier to get to lvl 31 than it ever was to get to 30. You can buy 33 light armor straight from the vanguard or crucible for little to no investment.

I feel like such an idiot for preordering the digital LE. This is the exact kinda bullshit I hate supporting.

Going to be much more careful about giving Bungie my money again in the future.

It's far easier to get to lvl 31 than it ever was to get to 30. You can buy 33 light armor straight from the vanguard or crucible for little to no investment.

This is stupid

Its like they just created a new tier for the expansion

Why not keep the progression on a nice slope like the base game?

WTF

molnizzle

Isn't it just because this week's weekly is the new strike? Obviously that one requires the DLC. Next week's will be available to anyone with the base game.

Overblown non-issue.

This is stupid

WTF

Every MMO does this.

The new cap is 32, not 31. You can buy your level 31 gear at the vendor but you need to raid for your 32 gear.

It's exactly the same situation as before.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
That's about as close to an inanimate object extorting you as is really possible. "Hey, wanna play the game you bought? Fucking pay me more money, chump."

Destiny really worked hard to turn the tide of the goodwill it generated with that beta. With a little more effort, I believe they can go down in history as one of the biggest, non-Daikatana flameouts in gaming history. They clearly want it, but do they have the pure strength of will to accomplish their goals?

This game is great, and I've spent a lot of effort defending it, but they shouldn't have locked out this stuff for non DLC owners.

<edit> Didn't realize this was based on whether it was a DLC nightfall or not.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm glad I never bought it. Seems very unfair to existing users.

I have the first two dlc packs, but are you telling me if I miss ONE expansion in the future the main game AND those previous expansions will be worthless? Absolutely shameful business practise.

tbm24

This is stupid

WTF

That will only get you to 31, not 32. I don't see how it's any different than the initial option which was buy legendary gear to hit 29 then raid to hit lv30. It's the same thing.

Hasney

This week the DLC strike is the weekly nightfall/heroic and you can't play it without the DLC, that's true. But to say that it is "now exclusive to DLC owners" is misleading because the weekly strike always rotates.

Doesn't really matter when it's the most important mode once you hit a certain level. You shouldn't even be locked out of it.

If they want heroic/nightfall strikes on the DLC, it should be a separate mode.

tbm24

Isn't it just because this week's weekly is the new strike? Obviously that one requires the DLC. Next weeks sbit will be available to anyone with the base game.

Overblown non-issue.

Every MMO does this.

The new cap is 32, not 31. You can buy your level 31 gear at the vendor but you need to raid for your 32 gear.

It's <b>exactly the same situation</b> as before.

Inflammatory thread titles usually do well to over blow issues.

There is only one new strike being added to the weekly rotations, so next week it will be a strike everyone has again and non DLC guys will only miss out once every six weeks, right?

You're right... Its just so happens that this week the weekly and nightfall is the dlc... So next week its back to normal.

masizzai

This is being blown completely out of proportion. If once every six weeks you can't play a strike I don't see the big deal. I don't think the dlc strike should be alienated due to parity. The OP worded like the option is permanently gone. Not that it just happens to be it's week.

That will only get you to 31, not 32. I don't see how it's any different than the initial option which was buy legendary gear to hit 29 then raid to hit lv30. It's the same thing.

Because it required a slow earning of marks?

After that its all reward drops to move forward.

I dunno. The progression seems weird

They should takes notes from ArenaNet.

Guild Wars 1 and 2 never took AWAY previous tier content. They simply gated it. In fact, they add free stuff to the old content when new stuff comes out to entice you to get upgrades and expansions.

This HAS to be a mistake. If not, you can stick a fork in Bungie and Destiny.

Doesn't really matter when it's the most important mode once you hit a certain level. You shouldn't even be locked out of it.

If they want heroic/nightfall strikes on the DLC, it should be a separate mode.

I agree that it was a crappy move but I'm not surprised since I'm pretty sure they've done this before. When new Halo maps were released and I didn't have them I remember being stuck playing one or two playlists until they eventually loosened that restriction.

geordiemp

The DLC locks out rewards of the weekly strange coins and nightfall legendary item

The content is still playable.

So no OP, no content has been technically locked.

As the coins and nightfall is dropping > lvl 30 gear and guns, then its arguable either way

JamboGT

I have the first two dlc packs, but are you telling me if I miss ONE expansion in the future the main game AND those previous expansions will be worthless? Absolutely shameful business practise.

Nope, it will only be when the weekly is the strike from the dlc you don't have is the one in rotation.

I agree it is annoying, maybe they could put in two weeklies instead but it is only 1 week in 6 that it will be like this.

tbm24

You had to earn those marks the first time too. Even then you had to first rank up either a quartermaster for a faction or vanguard/crucible rep to Rank 2 to buy Legendary. I don't see a difference. Progression seems the same to see as it was when Destiny started. It's not ideal for most I guess but it's consistent.

duckroll

They should takes notes from ArenaNet.

Guild Wars 1 and 2 never took AWAY previous tier content. They simply gated it. In fact, they add free stuff to the old content when new stuff comes out to entice you to get upgrades and expansions.

They're not actually taking away "content" here, they're simply adding DLC content to the event rotation cycle. So when the rotation is on DLC content, that means there's less for non-DLC owners to do during that rotation.

I disagree, the core game is actually really, really good.

It's just that Bungie have managed to take a really good foundation, and fuck the living hell out it of.
Fighting the same mobs of enemies for hours and hours is considered good game design now?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Yes, Bungie and Destiny are finished because non-DLC owners can't do Nightfall 1 week out of however many.

/gaf

Seriously though, I defended Bungie for months w/r/t Destiny, but this expansion is pretty bad as far as being a money grab goes. It's unfortunate because I love the underlying game. I'd have to think about giving Bungie my money for any additional DLCs if this is how they are going to treat it.

Fighting the same mobs of enemies for hours and hours is considered good game design now?

You like to eat chicken wings with ketchup??

molnizzle

It's exactly the same as before, lol.

Yes, there's a new tier of gear now. That's pretty much the entire point of an MMO expansion.

Can someone please verify with proof that the lvl 26 strike is the only place to earn engrams? Because I was playing the lvl24 strike earlier and still getting engrams so I'm really quite confused.

Gurrry

So after reading more..

The reason we cant do the nightfall or weekly this week is because its the DLC stuff. I understand that. So im a little less frustrated, but at the same time, they should have made seperate playlists. One for DLC owners, and one for non-owners.

However, someone clear this up for me..

You can no longer do the lvl 16,18,20,24, etc Strike Playlist and get engrams UNLESS you buy the DLC because the engrams are now only attached to the lvl 30-32 strikes?

Is this correct?

How are they handling the crucible?

padlock

Non-DLC owners are only locked out when the DLC strike is available. This makes more sense than creating a separate playlist for one strike.

Really? So when the second DLC comes out and you'll be locked out of 2 of 7 and then the third and you'll be locked out of 3 of 8, will it still make more sense?

It's ridiculous and completely unacceptable. I can't believe anyone is defending this.

doemaaan

I'm SO pissed off with myself for not trading this in when it was still worth $40. The fuck was I thinking maaannnnn.

The DLC locks out rewards of the weekly strange coins and nightfall legendary item

The content is still playable.

So no OP, no content has been technically locked.

As the coins and nightfall is dropping > lvl 30 gear and guns, then its arguable either way

Eh... that is kind of important for progression, last time I played Destiny in any case.

Tengrave

Why? I am playing this right now because I bought the damn Ghost Edition and was hopping for some significant content. Already done with the new story missions after a hour. This game is constantly going two steps back.

Top Bottom