• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SonyGate email leaks: Super Mario animated movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonz

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/sony-nintendo-mario-bros-movie

Sony Pictures and Nintendo appear to have closed a deal for the animated feature film rights to the Super Mario Bros. video game franchise, according to a series of emails discovered in the massive trove of hacked Sony files recently leaked to the media.

“I am the proud father of mario the animated film [sic],” producer Avi Arad told Sony studio chief Amy Pascal in an email dated Oct. 23, 2014, with the subject line “Mario.” Arad then forwarded Pascal separate images of him with Mario Bros. creator Shigeru Miyamoto and Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata, the latter of which included the message, “Happy ceo, lets get together, it’s the mother load. [sic]”

Pascal forwarded that email to Tom Rothman, who heads up Sony Pictures subsidiary TriStar Pictures. “Avi closed Mario brothers,” she said. “Animated.”

The deal represents only the first step in a very long road to a greenlight for an actual feature film. Animated films especially go through a long and rigorous script development process before a movie starts production. The emails also did not indicate any filmmakers attached to the project, although Pascal does at one point suggest Genndy Tartakovsky, who directed the 2012 Sony Pictures Animation feature Hotel Transylvania and created the Cartoon Network series Dexter’s Laboratory, Samurai Jack, and Star Wars: Clone Wars. “ts soooo perfect for him,” Pascal wrote. (A rep for Tartakovsky tells BuzzFeed News, however, that the filmmaker “is not involved.”)

Umm wow.

WHAT

Honestly, after the 90's debacle.. I figured Nintendo would never go in on another film adaption of ANY of their franchises. Much less Mario.

Curious if those images of Arad with Iwata & Miyamoto will surface at some point..

adj_noun

15t4KGx.jpg

Elija2

Well, they're smart to make it an animated movie this time. I wonder if it'll pick up where the plot left off in the first movie.
Of course it won't.

Crocodile

So if true, this just means rights have been confirmed, not that a movie is currently being made. If true, nothing could even come out of this. Still, a animated Mario movie by Genndy Tartakovsky? Too good to be true.

mdubs

Banned
As bad as their first try at a movie was lets not kid around, 90% of GAF would be watching the movie opening weekend

linkboy

Didn't Iwata mention a while back that Nintendo was looking into getting their characters into things other than video games.

An animated Mario movie would be a great fit, truth be told, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Didn't Iwata mention a while back that Nintendo was looking into getting their characters into things other than video games.

An animated Mario movie would be a great fit, truth be told, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

It did in Japan, although I think it was a cheap OVA.

LycanXIII

WHAT

Honestly, after the 90's debacle.. I figured Nintendo would never go in on another film adaption of ANY of their franchises. Much less Mario.

Curious if those images of Arad with Iwata & Miyamoto will surface at some point..

They let Disney use their characters for Wreck-It Ralph and even gave them permission for Mario, but the team didn't want to just throw him in the movie without a reason for it. I mean, it's not a full blown movie, but they let someone else make something of their IP.

I've always liked the fake idea of Genndy saving the Metroid franchise with an animated series but I guess a Mario movie would be a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom