• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Current-Gen is in desperate need of FUN (for the sake of fun) games

Karish

I'm so bored right now. All I wish for is that I could play a game like SSX or THPS or NBA Street for my Xbox One. We barely had this stuff last gen and now we have nothing like it this gen and I don't see anything on the horizon. It is brutal.

Edit: Seriously considering getting a WiiU. Also, I finished Sunset Overdrive and loved it -- BUT, I finished it. I know I can keep playing it but it feels finished... if that makes sense...

Edit 2: Some people here don't seem to get what I'm talking about. Some MORE examples: Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis, Sega Soccer Slam

Mario Kart 8.

MK8Prvw041402.jpg

I'm not sure if I understand your meaning. Do you mean good 'pick up and play' games? Or do you mean the extreme sports kinds of games? If you mean the latter, I can get behind that. The genre has definitely waned of late. The most recent SSX was pretty bad.

Crom

Get a Wii U. Problem solved.

Agreed. A Wii U goes along great with a Xbox One and has a ton of fun games out on it already. Having both of these gives you the best of both worlds.

The Wii U currently has more fun games on it now than the Xbone and PS4 combined IMO

mdubs

Banned
I don't think you get what I am saying. Sunset OD and Infamous are both primarily story-based games that you finish.
You can finish Super Mario 3D World. Your argument fails because that game is one of the most fun games of this gen.

Hatchtag

Banned
Watching The Game Awards was a bit sad because just about every new game showed off was showing what was cool about its story and not what was fun about its gameplay.
Then Nintendo showed up.

Karish

I'm not sure if I understand your meaning. Do you mean good 'pick up and play' games? Or do you mean the extreme sports kinds of games? If you mean the latter, I can get behind that. The genre has definitely waned of late. The most recent SSX was pretty bad.

Both pick up and play and extreme. When I think of games like that in the past the ones that come to mind most are SSX, THPS, NBA Street, and Burnout

GHG

Im having fun with PES2015, driveclub and horizon 2 at the moment. I also have fun playing more story driven "serious" games when im in the mood.

"Fun" is subjective.

A new Skate would be nice, but unfortunately that's probably not going to happen. I get what you're saying though, OP.

What about Trials Fusion? Did you play that one? Seems right up your ally.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Get Sportsfriends! (And then get actual friends to play it with)

hatchx

Banned
OP it sounds like you want EA Big back. They were great and made some great stuff in gen 6.

I'd like a return to that type of game too, but I don't think they sold enough to justify the budgets. Where's NBA Street it can't be that hard to make?

Karish

Some people here don't seem to get what I'm talking about. Some MORE examples: Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis, Sega Soccer Slam

Toparaman

Banned
Also OP, have you heard of IDARB? It's this really zany multiplayer eSports game that I think is an Xbox One exclusive. Kinda like Smash Bros. Might be up your alley.

Crom

This is the kinda of game I mean and need in my life. Wish it was not only Nintendo doing this sort of thing. Hell - EA, I will pay $60 for an HD compilation of the PS2/Xbox era SSX games for crying out loud

I have a blast playing Mario Kart online with my brother in the same room against strangers online. We kind of made a pact and take revenge on people if yhey dare to hit us. Fun times

MK8 was great fun, but honestly I was done with it after a weekend. I did try to go back later, but it felt like after I saw the courses a few times, I had enough. I know that's not a popular thing to say and I also realize there's new dlc to shake things up so your mileage may vary. Don't hurt me, Gaf.

GamerJM

Banned
Yeah, buy a Wii U. Actually, buy anything other than PS4/Xbox One. Get a Wii U, 3DS, Vita, or anything that can run PC Indie games.

I'm having plenty of fun with all my indies...

I don't even have enough time to play everything. Maybe you're just not buying the right games.

I'm so bored right now. All I wish for is that I could play a game like SSX or THPS or NBA Street for my Xbox One. We barely had this stuff last gen and now we have nothing like it this gen and I don't see anything on the horizon. It is brutal.

Edit: Seriously considering getting a WiiU. Also, I finished Sunset Overdrive and loved it -- BUT, I finished it. I know I can keep playing it but it feels finished... if that makes sense...
Well at least Sunset Overdrive has some nice DLC coming on the 23rd! Still play it for at least a little bit pretty much daily. Always do my weekly challenges.

Wii U might be a good fit for you. Plenty of pure fun AAA games not weighed down by dreary game worlds or overly serious storylines. Consider hitting last gens forgotten gems or maybe checking out some indies?

Crom

I agree. Too many dark emo titles. Can't wait till production ramps up.

The dark stuff is what sells. I like a mix personally but too many of these big AAA titles have been feeling the same and they feel like they lack soul

I'm still waiting on a PS4 for Batman and Street Fighter V, and the waits been easy because I have a WiiU. Get it! Especially for Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze if you like platforms. Had me smiling the whole time. Pikmin 3 is really fun too.

Might not even get a PS4 once those games come out for a while really, looking at that WiiU 2015 schedule.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Yeah, buy a Wii U. Actually, buy anything other than PS4/Xbox One. Wii U, 3DS, Vita, or anything that can run PC Indie games.

Don't contradict yourself now...
--------------------------------------------------------------

Plenty of games out there OP. Just research....

hatchx

Banned
MK8 was great fun, but honestly I was done with it after a weekend. I did try to go back later, but it felt like after I saw the courses a few times, I had enough. I know that's not a popular thing to say and I also realize there's new dlc to shake things up so your mileage may vary. Don't hurt me, Gaf.

Get that VR score up!

vesvci

Banned
FH2 is the most fun game I've played on my XBO (I didn't find SO fun). I'd recommend that in a heartbeat.

Maybe Dance Central? PvZ?

Top Bottom