• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Current-Gen is in desperate need of FUN (for the sake of fun) games

I haven't played Sunset Overdrive myself, but it kind of seemed like that very arcadey structureless fun gameplay you were talking about. Though going by your examples, you like games with a sporty slant, so I guess I can see the current systems being a little lacking in that regard. Not sure if last gen was super great in that field either.

weekev

Banned
What games does the WiiU have that are like "Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis, Sega Soccer Slam" that are not represented on other platforms?

MK8, ?.
MK8, wii sports club, Smash for pick up n play fun, ditto Nintendoland. These are just the 1s close to OPs examples. The stated criteria is games that are fun for the sake of fun. Right now thats pretty much WiiU's raison d'etre.

OlliOlli
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Resogun
Velocity 2x
MK8
Pix the Cat
Trials: Fusion
Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
Rogue Legacy
Spelunky
SSB: Wii U/3DS

There's plenty there, OP.

Zukkoyaki

There are a ton of arcade style shooters out there like Resogun and Geometry Wars 3 which can be played pretty much infinitely.

The PS4 and Xbox One each have a quality racer available by this point, Driveclub and Horizon 2 respectively. Racers are among the best when it comes to pure simple fun.

There are also some fighting games out now like Injustice Ultimate and now Guilty Gear Xrd. I know I have spent hours at a time just messing around in training modes in fighting games.

Sunset Overdrive, Infamous: Second Son, Diablo III, and more are all a lot of fun.

And don't even get me started on online multiplayer experiences be it Battlefield, Plants Vs. Zombies, COD, whatever you're in to.

BouncyFrag

I love playing Driver: San Francisco just to jump from car to car looking for my favorite passengers who say all manner of things when I wild ass it all over the map. I love games with great banter.

The mind trip games in Watch Dogs were a lot of fun, especially Spider Tank.

Trojan X

Banned
wat
sunset overdrive
plants vs zombies
infamous

dude the gen just started

I think OP is spot on to be honest. Games should be blasting heavy with fun, something that we have received a plenty even in the early stages of the Dreamcast and Playstation era. Even for me, I find many games boring now with my biggest disappointment being Battlefield 4 (BF3 is better).

red731

pls SSX 2015 ;_;
just give me remaster of 2012 with everything and one char boosted to 13 and i am buying it again.

Also PvZ: Garden Warfare is pretty fun :)

ed: holy shit gold xbox live users - just went online to search for new ssx info -

SSX Free on Xbox 360 Right Now
Xbox Live Gold members can pick up the 2012 extreme sports game free now through the end of the month.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Go play LBP 3 or Tearaway Unfolded when it comes out.

Taking your edits into account, Sunset, Velocity 2X, Garden Warfare, Oddworld and First Light still count and it's ridiculous to try and claim they don't because of some arbitrary rule you made up.

Sunset especially is as close to old school Sega as we'll get for quite some time.

It's pure arcade-y fun. The entire game is structured around making sure the player has as much fun as possible. Crazy to suggest it doesn't count.

Heh your second edit was pretty much exactly what I was thinking of when I saw the thread. Dreamcast had so many truly "fun" games. Toy Commander, Power Stone, Ready 2 Rumble, the list goes on. I miss those days ;_;

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Be like me OP

Current Gen games I own..

Killer Instinct
Dead Rising 3
Sunset Overdrive
Forza Horizon 2 (got yesterday)

Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
Bayonetta 2
Smash Bros Wii U

I'm so bored right now. All I wish for is that I could play a game like SSX or THPS or NBA Street for my Xbox One. We barely had this stuff last gen and now we have nothing like it this gen and I don't see anything on the horizon. It is brutal.

I'm playing Shadow Warrior on Xbox One and that definitely qualifies as fun.

The absence of extreme/arcade sports games is depressing. There is Snow coming to PS4, other than that, nothing I think.

Someone make a spiritual successor to Wave Race please.

Percy

Banned
It's all on the Wii U, friend.

Pretty much.

Though I've also been having some good times in recent days playing LBP3 with my kids. Closest either of the other two has come to genuine "fun" in the sense the OP seems to mean in the way the Wii U has been providing it since it came out.

Ferr986

So you want arcade games.
Yeah, sadly theres no much of it right now. About WiiU, even if people claim its the fun-machine of this gen, theres isnt much of sport arcade games, or arcades in general. That ship sailed with the old Sega.

Ramenman

current gen is in a desperate need for games that aren't broken trash

Actually the great majority of games aren't broken trash, you'd know that if you actually played games instead of just reading thread titles on the first page on neogaf.

Rephil

"Current-Gen is in desperate need of FUN" = best and most important topic of 2014!!
..and you forgot wipeout! but thank you for this!

Prototype

As others have said, get a Wii U.

Mario Kart 8 is instant fun, super easy to pick and play with any one, and colorful (and beautiful) as hell.

jeemer

Just do it, fun for the sake of fun all over the place. Mario Kart, Smash, 3D World, Nintendoland, NSMBU, Lego City, Wonderful 101.

I got a wii u last week with bayonetta, nsmbu and nintendoland. Going back to visit my folks for christmas where i'm getting mk8, smash, 3dw and wind waker. When I come back home i'm getting wonderful 101. I'm in my 30s and can't remember a birthday or christmas where I actually had christmas gift ideas for people. I'm so hype to play these games!

I would love to have stuff like Tony Hawks, NFSU and SSX back, too.
Game without shooting that feel like they're made for 90s teenagers. I love that stuff.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Get a WiiU - Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Mario 3D World, Shovel Knight, Smash Bros etc.

Otherwise, get friends together and play Sportsfriends, Nidhogg, Mount Your Friends, Trials, OlliOlli etc

Wii U PC

I don't really need to go into Wii U this far into the thread, but on the PC side, things like Garry's Mod, Antichamber and The Forest are pretty tough to beat.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm so bored right now. All I wish for is that I could play a game like SSX or THPS or NBA Street for my Xbox One. We barely had this stuff last gen and now we have nothing like it this gen and I don't see anything on the horizon. It is brutal.

Edit: Seriously considering getting a WiiU. Also, I finished Sunset Overdrive and loved it -- BUT, I finished it. I know I can keep playing it but it feels finished... if that makes sense...

Edit 2: Some people here don't seem to get what I'm talking about. Some MORE examples: Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis, Sega Soccer Slam

I'd recommend you don't go out to rush and buy a Wii U like so many here suggest. Especially if you can't afford to waste money - the games aren't even that cheap.

Think - would you play a few of your wii games more than the X1 if some of them looked a tad more higher resolution? Don't think about galaxy, it doesn't exist here.

Also, be really careful with Nintendo recommendations in general tbh, I've gotten screwed with so many massively recommended ones recently:

- Super Mario 3D World not being as bad as we thought - yes it is, a major let down compared to previous 3d marios
- Wind Waker HD - framerate drops to shit.
- Bayonetta 2 - extremely poor gameplay design: no challenge whatsoever to clear stages, even on climax apparently, learn the attack and dodge buttons and it's done. You have to force yourself to mix it up. "Accessible gameplay."

The only decent titles that I haven't regretted are Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8. NSMBU too. That's not worth shelling out how much I did for it and I don't see too many big games coming, just smaller quite okay titles like mario maker. I don't have any faith in Star Fox or Zelda being impressive.

I can imagine feeling the same way as you do after playing Sunset Overdrive though, it looks like an insane amount of fun. So I think it's pretty normal to feel like that afterwards.

Arcade games don't tend to get much love these days. Sunset Overdrive looks like a huge blast of creativity in comparison to most games.

Shadow of Mordor is pretty fun but isn't really there visually like SO is, which does affect the experience.
Far Cry 4 is a lot of fun.

NEO0MJ

Also, be really careful with Nintendo recommendations in general tbh, I've gotten screwed with so many recently:

- Super Mario 3D World not being as bad as we thought - yes it is, a major let down compared to previous 3d marios

Hahaha, what? i don't think that many who played it share your opinion. It got third on Gaf's 2013 GOTY awards and scored second in the number of first place votes.

m@cross

Games that are just fun and not about leveling up or beating a final boss etc

Resogun
Secret Ponchos
GTAV Online (Crazy Taxi till your eyes blow up)
The new Fat Princess most likely

Ayup. That's how I've been feeling, man. I began this gen with a PS4 and that got pretty goddamn old after I beat Infamous. I just can't get into most of these games anymore, I have less time than I used to and sometimes I just wanna enjoy myself with some truly well designed gameplay. I'm glad I have a Wii U but it's not like it's exactly brimming with games either (though the games that are there are pretty much top notch across the board).

I feel ya, man. I sold my PS4 about two hours ago. In a few weeks I'll have myself a beast PC alongside my Wii U and I'll have all the fun games I could ever want

People who blow 400 bucks and sell a console in the first year make no sense......The ps4 library is staked in 2015 and going forward there will be tonnes of games. Did you sell your wi-u in 2013 and rebuy as that had an even worse drought. Wiiu lineup outside a few exclusives is barren in comparison. Third party games are a thing and ps4 downloadable titles are numerous compared to the competition.

Top Bottom