• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Current-Gen is in desperate need of FUN (for the sake of fun) games

TI82

Banned
Towerfall
Sportsfriends

Both fun, both were free PS+ titles.

Clealry not, because Wii U lacks these types of games as well, but U owners just want to see more people buy the system for Nintendo's sake.

Omg lol

And TC: Look into criterion's new game. Next gen only (no Wii U) and it looks straight up crazy sports/driving action

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Some people here don't seem to get what I'm talking about. Some MORE examples: Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis, Sega Soccer Slam

Clealry not, because Wii U lacks these types of games as well, but U owners just want to see more people buy the system for Nintendo's sake.

I'd look into the indie games, because there are more simplified arcade style games there OP. Velocity and Pix the Cat are great examples, although you seem to be looking for sports related stuff, which I don't see anyone doing.

The best advice is to simply continue exploring the vast library of the 360 or PS3. There's a lot of arcade games, as well as simple pick up and play titles.

I'm still playing through Yakuza Ishin, experiencing that old beat-em up feel. It's an imported game, but whatever.

On the other side of things. LBP3 has been insane, The Evil Within was a great shooter, Guilty Gear and Smash filled my fighting game void, Hohokum or however you spell it was straight chill, hours melted away in Metal Gear from messing with the guards, Plants VS Zombies brought a ton of split screen enjoyment with my girlfriend (and some without in the form of a pretty decent if unbalanced collection of online modes), Samurai Warriors 4 introduced some crazy combos, Bayonetta 2 was pure bliss, Dragon Age Inquisition was buggy but has some great moments once plans go right, Diablo III was done right on the consoles and made more arcadey, Resogun completely surprised me, P.T. scared the shit outta me, and that's not even half the games I own!

You might scream "port", "indie game", or some other buzzword, but from the ones listed alone I've enjoyed my time with the next gen consoles already. Fun is subjective, but my personal expectations have been exceeded.

Kssio_Aug

There was some titles that were strongly fun focused, such as PvZ and Sunset Overdrive. I also recommend Knack for that besides its criticism.

Skyzard

Banned
Hahaha, what? i don't think that many who played it share your opinion. It got third on Gaf's 2013 GOTY awards and scored second in the number of first place votes.

I know it's been recommended a lot, that's why I'm warning him.

The sense of adventure is gone with the level design and game style. It's much more like some mini-games, which is how it looks.

They couldn't be bothered to do real co-op in an interesting world.

Vitacat

Edit: Seriously considering getting a WiiU. Also, I finished Sunset Overdrive and loved it -- BUT, I finished it. I know I can keep playing it but it feels finished... if that makes sense...

Wii U is the right answer.

About 6 weeks ago I bought a Wii U as a secondary new system to my PS4. Or so I thought. It's now my favorite system. The games are fantastic, and if like me you never owned the original Wii, there's a nice library of games there as well that Wii U plays. And if you do a simple little hack, you can play every Gamecube game perfectly as well. It's just a box full of fun.

Nintendo did a lot of stupid stuff marketing the Wii U, but the games are stellar.

impact

Banned
I have a Wii U and my mind is completely fucking blown at all the people telling him to get one. Bayonetta 2 is pretty fun, I guess?

OP build a PC. It's where the real fun is at.

Oppo

disagree with the Wii U advice. it's too limited. yes, good for Nintendo stuff. but that creative spark is brightest int he indie scene and PS4 curb stomps everyone but actual PC on that score.

PKrockin

"fun for the sake of fun"

... but what's the point?
You joke but I've had several MMO players ask me what the point of playing games is if there's no leveling, and then shoot me a puzzled look when I respond "because they're fun".

Things were so much better when console/handheld games made for fun were their only option when they wanted games as time wasters. Now that mobile gives them what they want and all those dollars are staying in their wallets, well... rip in piece all those mid-budget games OP likes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've had a great start to the generation. Sportsfriends, Towerfall, Nidhogg, Jackbox, PvZ, Peggle - all fun games and thats not even including the WiiU

Remark

Banned
All these Wii U posts need to stop tbh.

I'm with you OP. Hopefully EA announce a new SSX or Skate soon, good times :)

Remark

Banned
People who blow 400 bucks and sell a console in the first year make no sense......The ps4 library is staked in 2015 and going forward there will be tonnes of games. Did you sell your wi-u in 2013 and rebuy as that had an even worse drought. Wiiu lineup outside a few exclusives is barren in comparison. Third party games are a thing and ps4 downloadable titles are numerous compared to the competition.
This tbh. If your going to buy a console first year hold on to that thing for a couple years. Droughts are very common in the beginning of a generation. If you don't see anything you like by like year two or three then you should probably sell since it's not the right console for you.

Scrawnton

Breaking myself of meaningless trophy addiction and just enjoying the games I play is th smartest decision I made recently. I've had a Wii U since launch and I bought all the big games, but I was still caught up in the hype of buying a bunch of PS4 games I never would've bought last gen. I was caught up in the hype of there being no games and me buying Destiny and Advanced Warfare because I needed something.

I'm back to my old self where I realize I just wanna play games that has an engrossing story or games that are just fun to play. So right now I'm aging Persona 3 on PS3, SSB for Wii U and I have dragon age for Xmas next week.

Long story short, my favorite games are JRPGs, Fantasy WRPGs and anything Nintendo. I'm going back to those days.

NEO0MJ

I know it's been recommended a lot, that's why I'm warning him.

The sense of adventure is gone with the level design and game style. It's much more like some mini-games, which is how it looks.

They couldn't be bothered to do real co-op in an interesting world.

I respectfully disagree. The level variety is fantastic and the focus on creating obstacle courses is welcome. And actual co-op would hurt the level design.

This tbh. If your going to buy a console first year hold on to that thing for a couple years. Droughts are very common in the beginning of a generation. If you don't see anything you like by like year two or three then you should probably sell since it's not the right console for you.

I still don't get why people buy consoles when there's not enough games that satisfy them. maybe the average person but I thought the average gaffer is more informed.

Raptomex

I currently use my Wii U the most with Smash Bros., Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, and Mario Kart being my go-to games right now. I have several PS4 games and the only ones I really keep coming back to are GTA V, Wolfenstein, and Shadow Warrior.

TI82

Banned
I have a Wii U and my mind is completely fucking blown at all the people telling him to get one. Bayonetta 2 is pretty fun, I guess?

OP build a PC. It's where the real fun is at.

Yep, we got one at my house too. Had to literally dig it out the other day it had gotten buried in skylanders and ps4 games lol. Thing never gets played.

abadguy

Banned
Some people here don't seem to get what I'm talking about. Some MORE examples: Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis, Sega Soccer Slam
Ah so you yern or old Sega arcade/Dreamcast era tier games. Not gonna find that these days not even from Sega itself. Their are a few games that come pretty close. SO has some new DLC missions soon also the aformentioned WiiU has plenty of fun games along those lines.

spwolf

I'm so bored right now. All I wish for is that I could play a game like SSX or THPS or NBA Street for my Xbox One. We barely had this stuff last gen and now we have nothing like it this gen and I don't see anything on the horizon. It is brutal.

Edit: Seriously considering getting a WiiU. Also, I finished Sunset Overdrive and loved it -- BUT, I finished it. I know I can keep playing it but it feels finished... if that makes sense...

Edit 2: Some people here don't seem to get what I'm talking about. Some MORE examples: Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis, Sega Soccer Slam

dunno about XB1, but PS4 has bunch of indies that are insane fun... i am not even playing tlou because i got hooked on checking out these "smaller" games.

Basically OP, get a WiiU then pick up any of the games listed by the people posting.. but most importantly pick up Smash. Then invite 7 people over and see how much fun you can actually have with that system.

Also future games coming ohhh man.

Zomba13

Yeah, Wii U is where it's at for games that are just about fun. Fun to play, fun to look at, nothing serious, no heavy stories and over dramatic characters.

Could also be some good stuff on PS4, plenty of games about just fun, mainly indie games and things offered via PS+.

And of course stuff on PC, though it spans generations not just current gen.

emalord

This gen I had lot of fun with Bayonetta2 and SunsetOverdrive and and I'm really enjoying DragonAgeInquisition now
(disappointed by Infamous if I think how good was the first one )

2015 looks like best year in years, so just have a little patience 👍

weekev

Banned
I got a wii u last week with bayonetta, nsmbu and nintendoland. Going back to visit my folks for christmas where i'm getting mk8, smash, 3dw and wind waker. When I come back home i'm getting wonderful 101. I'm in my 30s and can't remember a birthday or christmas where I actually had christmas gift ideas for people. I'm so hype to play these games!
You are going to have a blast.

This game is incredibly easy to pick up and play. But I've got massive bias towards twin stick shooters, so it was love at first sight.
PS4 is the king of twin stuck shooters, especially looking ahead. Right now there's Resogun, Dead Nation, Geometry Wars, Gravity Crash, Crimsonland, #killallzombies, Counterspy (a stretch but still good and what you're looking for), PixelJunk Shooter, In Space We Brawl, Secret Ponchos, and I'm sure a few others. Upcoming there's Alienation, Helldivers, the best version of Super Stardust, Nano Assault Neo (maybe already out?), Assault Android Cactus, more Resogun DLC, and plenty of others. PS4 is stacked with twin stick shooters.

AND FUCKING VELOCITY 2X HOT DAMN

I've played plenty of games so far this gen that were super fun.

Sunset Overdrive- just pure fun

Dead Rising 3- super fun, especially in coop

Forza Horizon 2- total blast

Titanfall- possibly most fun FPS i've played

Aaaand I just realized those are all Xbox One console exclusives. I guess I have way more fun on Xbone.

OP if you haven't tried Forza Horizon 2 yet, do it. That should scratch your fun itch.

Vinc

If you don't mind multiplayer games, try Towerfall on PS4, it's a real blast with a couple of friends.

I'll also join everyone else in saying you need a Wii U.

Asbear

Banned
It's all on the Wii U, friend.

This. What I like about next-gen, just like last time a new gen began, is that there's a significant increase in, not necessarily innovative, but new stuff that obviously wasn't possible before like better lighting and render distances, bigger environments and stuff like that. I think it really shows in Dragon Age Inquisition, and I know it's also on last-gen, but only in the next-gen versions do I get the incredible sense of scale it has.

But yeah, if you want games that are just solid and fun and games that are quality in every corner, Wii U is the place to go right now which is so ironic when nobody has one except us Nintendo longtime fans. Luckily 2015 is looking rather good with Arkham Knight and Bloodborne for PS4.

Micerider

There are many examples of fun games for the sake of fun this gen, but I really thougt to myself yesterday that this gen was probably ready to see the return of either Rock Band or Guitar Hero (as long as they do not ruin it with over-presence like they did before).

Top Bottom