• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Current-Gen is in desperate need of FUN (for the sake of fun) games

I can't relate one bit. Between SO, FH2, Rayman, Kinect Sports, all the Lego games, and a bunch of downloadable titles like Powerstar Golf, Worms, Boom Ball, STF, and the upcoming #IDARB, I'm certainly not feeling any lack of FUN! releases.

weekev

Banned
Its been said already but buy a WiiU.

Just do it, fun for the sake of fun all over the place. Mario Kart, Smash, 3D World, Nintendoland, NSMBU, Lego City, Wonderful 101. Dont deprive yourself, this isnt even half of the list. Go, do it now.

treat_yo_self_1.gif

edeo

The Jackbox compilation is easily the most drunken fun I've ever had playing games with friends.

Drawful is going to be my go-to party game on PS4.

Bayonetta 2 isn't so pick-up-and-play, but I feel so much joy playing it.

Too bad the Katamari well seems to have dried. That's the ultimate dumb fun game.

I usually love Mario platformers, but the Mario 3D series leaves me cold.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so bored right now. All I wish for is that I could play a game like SSX or THPS or NBA Street for my Xbox One. We barely had this stuff last gen and now we have nothing like it this gen and I don't see anything on the horizon. It is brutal.

Edit: Seriously considering getting a WiiU. Also, I finished Sunset Overdrive and loved it -- BUT, I finished it. I know I can keep playing it but it feels finished... if that makes sense...

Edit 2: Some people here don't seem to get what I'm talking about. Some MORE examples: Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis, Sega Soccer Slam

Sounds to me like you need yourself some arcade-y sports games.

Jachaos

Wii U

Also, I've had plenty of fun with Resogun, InFamous, War Thunder, and playing and messing around with friends in TLoU multiplayer, Destiny, etc.

But yeah best pure fun is Super Smash, Nintendoland, Mario Kart 8, SpinTheBottle Bumpie's Party, Tank Tank Tank and stuff like that. A Wii U is a great purchase.

Sounds to me like you need yourself some arcade-y sports games.

Also this it seems. So uh, get Trials Fusion I guess? I'm unsure which good arcade-y sports games are available on the Xbox One. I agree we need more THPS/Wave Race/1080 Snowboarding/Midtown Madness/etc.

Correct but last gen at least gave them a try. There was an NBA Street, an SSX, and a very very legendary burnout game.
The biggest problem is the death...or maybe the seriously injured mid tier games. Now we mostly get either huge AAA releases or the smaller independent games. Both can be outstanding, but when the mid tier games started to disappear, so did a lot of these kinds of games.

I'm with you, OP. Its depressing. What I wouldn't give for a random new game like Pure. Or even a resurrection of a game like Splashdown. Or Jet Moto. Or yes, a good new Tony Hawk. Or a Trickstyle. Freekstyle. Those games were awesome. I've been hoping some indie devs would take up this slack, but so far they really haven't. They release some great stuff, but not really the kinds of games me and the OP are referring to.

edit: Derp. I meant Freekstyle, not Trickstyle.

Converse

Banned
The way that the Wii U vibe has changed around here since last year is incredible.

That said, there's truth to it, OP. I find myself playing at lot of the console's library not so much to progress or "see the story," but to have a good time. Especially with friends.

Ayup. That's how I've been feeling, man. I began this gen with a PS4 and that got pretty goddamn old after I beat Infamous. I just can't get into most of these games anymore, I have less time than I used to and sometimes I just wanna enjoy myself with some truly well designed gameplay. I'm glad I have a Wii U but it's not like it's exactly brimming with games either (though the games that are there are pretty much top notch across the board).

I feel ya, man. I sold my PS4 about two hours ago. In a few weeks I'll have myself a beast PC alongside my Wii U and I'll have all the fun games I could ever want

OP needs Resogun in his / her life. Trials fusion might be right up your alley as well. Load out just dropped as well on ps4. It's free to play and ridiculously awesome.

I absolutely love indie games though, so fun is definitely not an issue. Literally too many great games. There is no feasible way to keep up.

Orca

Forza Horizon 2
Plants vs Zombies
Sunset Overdrive
Titanfall
Resogun
UFC

Those are all games you can just keep playing. Yeah you can finish the story in Sunset Overdrive, but there's still a whole open world to explore and a ton of stuff to do.

If you can't find 'fun' games to play, you're not looking very hard.

I don't think people are understanding OP. The only three games I can think of are Mario Kart 8, Drive Club and Super Smash Bros. For 3DS/Wii U.

No saving cities (Sunset Overdrive/Infamous). No saving the world. No saving Sprixie fairies. No saving Hyrule. No saving Dreamland. No saving witch heaven/hell. No running away from a zombie apocalypse. All you do is play for the entire 100% sake of playing. No

Resogun

Super Time Force

Rayman Legends (I know I know, it's a re-release)

Forza Horizon 2

PvZ

Worms

Geo Wars 3

Lots of other small/digital titles coming soon.

There's truckloads of fun to be had man. I think you've just got your blinders on or something.

Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive and Titanfall have provided me with lots of fun this year. I recommend them if you haven't tried them out.

Tobinishi

It depends how you play games. Last gen I started to take Trophies/Achievements too seriously and got frustrated with games because it was like "work" for me. Grinding, doing stupid stuff I normally wouldn't care about, etc. Now I'm "just" playing games again and I really got back into it.

The same goes for reading too much about a game, caring about unimportant things like K/D ration, using walkthroughs, etc.

It really helped me to get more enjoyment out of the games.

Edit: And there are so many choices, stop playing a game if you don't have fun with it. Don't force you to finish a game, makes no sense in my opinion.

Kapow

Why the fuck are people saying Wii U? None of the games OP is clamouring for are even remotely represented on the system...

Bold One

Why are people straining so hard to sell other people WiiUs?

half of the threads on gaf feel like sales pitches

OP there are hundreds of games currently out, if you can't find something to enjoy, its time for a new hobby

MikeyB

Awesomenauts
Killzone: Intercept
Zen pinball
Octodad
And most importantly, Rayman.

Arcadey racers that aren't karts, flying games, and tricking games have definitely been in too short supply for too long.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
lol@fun what is this 1994? its all about halfassed single player and broken multiplayer now get with the times! Soon games will be just one level the rest will be DLC! Cool huh? *weeps*

Apathy

A lot of really fun an innovative ideas come from the indie space. Smaller games that cost less can take the wild risks that AAA Ganges usually don't want to take

There's a lot of indie titles for the PS4 and Xbox One that are just plain fun.

You should try some of them.

And if you have, why on earth are you complaining?

SappYoda

The binding of isaac rebirth is the most fun I had this gen.

It's a really great and polished game filled with fun.

danmaku

What games does the WiiU have that are like "Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis, Sega Soccer Slam" that are not represented on other platforms?

MK8, ?.

Yup. The games he wants aren't on WiiU either. Just hope that some indie decides to make something similar, because you won't get them from the AAA factory.

Top Bottom