• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney's Into The Woods: Be Careful What You Wish For

Status
Not open for further replies.
752A2D32-C50F-AD4F-A3F75AFDA24F307A.jpg

Synopsis: As the result of the curse of a once-beautiful witch (Meryl Streep), a baker (James Corden) and his wife (Emily Blunt) are childless. Three days before the rise of a blue moon, they venture into the forest to find the ingredients that will reverse the spell and restore the witch's beauty: a milk-white cow, hair as yellow as corn, a blood-red cape, and a slipper of gold. During their journey, they meet Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel and Jack, each one on a quest to fulfill a wish.
(Source: Wikipedia)

The Cast:

Meryl Streep: The Witch

meryl-streep-witch.gif

James Corden: The Baker

james-corden-baker.gif

Emily Blunt: The Baker’s Wife

into-woods-bakers-wife-poster.gif

Anna Kendrick: Cinderella

woods.gif

Lilla Crawford: Little Red Riding Hood

into-woods-red-riding-hood-poster.gif

Daniel Huttlesone: Jack

into-woods-jack-poster.gif

Chris Pine: The Prince

chris-pine-prince.gif

Johnny Depp: The Wolf

Into-The-Woods-The-Wolf.gif

MacKenzie Mauzy: Rapunzel

Into-The-Woods-Rapunzel.gif

Billy Magnusen: The Other Prince

Into-The-Woods-The-Other-Prince.gif

I was interested until I saw "Johnny Depp as the Wolf." I think I'm just tired of him. The awful previews for Mordecai aren't helping.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Chris Pine's elongated head is rather creepy

other than that, super meh, looks like another useless fairy tale cheesefest

Fucking sucked. That's all I can say, just really fucking bad.

Awful songs, bad casting, horrible editing, and fucking Johnny Depp. If I had known Rob Marshall was behind this turd, I would have reconsidered seeing it.

At least Meryl Streep delivered and "Agony" was a good song. Otherwise, worst movie I've seen this year.

jb1234

As one of my favorite musicals, I'll probably check it out but I doubt it'll hold a candle to the wonderful PBS recording.

Is this a movie? Or a TV show? Or a play?

It's a movie adaptation of a musical. I honestly knew nothing about it until I watched the movie today.

I was thoroughly impressed by it. There were some really good singers among the cast and there wasn't any bad one that really stuck out. The plot took your familiar fairy tails and add combined them with a twist, making them turn in a direction you probably don't expect. I didn't find it predictable like other movies and the story had some nice messages. Overall I recommend seeing it especially if you are going in blind.

Aeana

I enjoyed the movie, and the scene where Agony is sung was very amusing. I didn't really like the ending, though.

Isn't the person who plays "The Prince" character traditionally also the "Wolf"? Too bad they didn't go that route, it provides a nice juxtaposition between the two. It also would've eliminated the need for Johnny Depp, who doesn't really fit the role; although, he was probably cast to rake in some extra cash.

Symphonic

I enjoyed the movie, and the scene where Agony is sung was very amusing. I didn't really like the ending, though.

Agony was perfect. Had the entire theatre laughing.

Also Johnny was definitely a cash grab.
He was in the film for 15 minutes tops

Wanderer5

Me and my mom not only saw the original broadway version on dvd, but also the return of it to broadway personally back in 2002. Needless to say we were both looking very forward to this adaption, and for the most part I think it was a pretty nice one. I didn't mind much of most of the changes (
including the changed fate of Rapunzel
), but the way they connected the two acts together cause the second half to be a bit wonky in pacing. Wonderful performances all around, especially from Meyrl Streep.

Shiv47

Seeing it tomorrow, and based on what was cut, I'm assuming it might get off the rails once they get past the first act. The singing all seems very well done, from listening to the soundtrack, which pleasantly surprised me. Certainly better than Sweeney Todd in that regard.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Saw it with the gf. Loved it. There were a few times where I felt either it went on too long or cut too quick, but overall had a great time. I loved how unsettled I felt with laughs in between. Songs were fun, but I'm a sucker for musicals.

Would watch again.

gazele

Banned
The other Prince looks better than Chris Pine, who doesn't fit the role of a Prince. He looks kind of.....clueless.

He was the only redeeming part of the movie, he reminded me so much of shatner in this and agony was great, the rest pretty much sucked

Asbel

Was OK. Rapunzel's story was pointless. Ending was a mess. I would have been impressed with the singing if it was live.

Dang0

This is the first I've ever heard of this. When I read the op I thought it was an announcement thread, till I read the responses and thought 'Wait, this is already out!?' Am I out of touch, or did this movie get no marketing?

Ohwiseone

Just got home.

I enjoyed it. Disney took a major risk with it, and I am happy they did. I hope it makes back it budget and then some so Disney will do more live action musicals like this.

I think that Chris Pine was channeling some major William Shatner in his role.

They toned down the the whole Red Riding and wolf scene..but it still was pushing it a bit.

I loved how everything was long-takes (most of the shots during the singing lasted 15-20 seconds) I think that helps a ton. (I also am a strong defender in Les Mis. (2012) Which I feel is how you should do a fucking movie musical)

Its a fun movie, I enjoyed it. I mean, it has Emily blunt and Anna Kendrick singing for 95% of it, that's already a ticket sold for me.

Fucking sucked. That's all I can say, just really fucking bad.

Awful songs, bad casting,

What?

Seriously? Some songs are so good. "Giants in the sky" is one off the top of my head.

Really? Bad casting? Who was bad? Emily Blunt? Chris Pine? Anna Kendrick?

teiresias

Anna Kendrick had no idea how to bring the humor out of the Cinderella character at all. Other than that I was fine with the cast and performances for the most part, particularly the boy that played Jack.

The changes to
Rapunzel's exit
pretty much leech most of the meaning and emotion from the Witch's Lament. I was pretty surprised how much innuendo was still obvious in "Hello Little Girl." Though obviously they weren't about to do the overt costume used in the original production:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NAuqQ-h7vA

I always loved the makeup work on the wolf in the original Broadway show though.

While it's one of my favorite musicals, my main issue with the show remains the same in the movie. The second act has always been more interesting since it's where the combined story's take a "twist" rather than just being the intertwined, well-known stories that everyone is familiar with. Unfortunately, the second act in a musical is always shorter so the newer, more meaningful material gets a bit truncated. It's even worse in the movie since the second act is even more truncated in the movie than in the musical.

Otherwise, I enjoyed it, though I don't see any reason to watch it over the DVD of the original production.

teiresias

What are the overall changes?

Ones I can remember off the top of my head:

- No Narrator as an actual character
- The Baker's Father is pretty much cut from the second act (the song "No More" is cut completely)
- "On the Steps of the Palace" has its lyrics changed to be in the present tense due to how they stage it.
- Little Red's "I Know Things Now" is no longer a soliloquy and is actually sung TO the Baker.
- The opening to Act 2 is completely changed so that none of the characters are back home when it starts.
-
Rapunzel doesn't die, she just runs off with her Prince
-
The Steward doesn't overtly kill Jack's mother, he sort of does it by accident in the movie, and I don't think you actually see her die in the movie, it cuts away from any real "death scene" and I only knew they actually killed her when the Baker told Jack
- Agony Reprise is completely cut.
- I'm sure there's a lot of music missing that I can't recall since it's been a while since I watched the original musical.

I think the cuts to the second act are to the detriment of the material to be honest. I feel the movie focuses too much on the Giant aspect of the second act rather than using it to examine the emotional core of what's going on with the characters in the second act, which is what it's actual function is in the original show. Most of what was "streamlined" in Act 2 was random funny moments and character beats that help with the character work, IMO.

Wanderer5

They also
toned down some of the sexual aspects a bit heh, like the baker's wife and prince thing sorta, and the song Hello Little Girl.

HylianTom

Banned
Ones I can remember off the top of my head:

- No Narrator as an actual character
- The Baker's Father is pretty much cut from the second act (the song "No More" is cut completely)
- "On the Steps of the Palace" has its lyrics changed to be in the present tense due to how they stage it.
- Little Red's "I Know Things Now" is no longer a soliloquy and is actually sung TO the Baker.
- The opening to Act 2 is completely changed so that none of the characters are back home when it starts.
-
Rapunzel doesn't die, she just runs off with her Prince
-
The Steward doesn't overtly kill Jack's mother, he sort of does it by accident in the movie, and I don't think you actually see her die in the movie, it cuts away from any real "death scene" and I only knew they actually killed her when the Baker told Jack
- Agony Reprise is completely cut.
- I'm sure there's a lot of music missing that I can't recall since it's been a while since I watched the original musical.

I think the cuts to the second act are to the detriment of the material to be honest. I feel the movie focuses too much on the Giant aspect of the second act rather than using it to examine the emotional core of what's going on with the characters in the second act, which is what it's actual function is in the original show. Most of what was "streamlined" in Act 2 was random funny moments and character beats that help with the character work, IMO.

The cuts are what I feared most. Every time a movie musical comes out, I find myself wondering, "all right.. what're they gonna cut this time?"

I know theaters want to cram more showings into a day, but for some movie musicals we really need to see a return of the use of an Intermission, as opposed to cutting material.

I'll still see it, but I also know I'll hang-onto my DVD of the Broadway performance.

(Still haven't gotten over "Christmas Bells" being cut from the RENT movie. Grrr..)

Wanderer5

Oh another change regarding
Rapunzel. In the musical when she was banished, she ended up having twins by the time the other prince came along, much like how the original fairy tale went. I don't remember if Rapunzel actually heals the prince's eyes through, but maybe she did.

teiresias

Oh another change regarding
Rapunzel. In the musical when she was banished, she ended up having twins by the time the other prince came along, much like how the original fairy tale went. I don't remember if Rapunzel actually heals the prince's eyes through, but maybe she did.

She did heal his eyes in the musical. It was completely played up for laughs though - like most of Rapunzel in the play outside of her relationship with the Witch.

Was ok, the third act was a total mess though. The beginning is where the movie has so much charm and then it slowly dissipates over the movie till we come to a real rushed ending.

BluWacky

I played Jack in a production of this at university. Ah, the memories...

Not out here until January, though, which means I won't get to see it until it's on disc. Ah well.

Way too long. They could have cut 30 minutes but I guess that would have cut some songs. After an hour even my daughter started squirming and I could tell other people in the theater were getting irritated when a new song started. In fact, Johnny Depp as the wolf was actually the best part - though a bit pedo-creepy - even though he was on screen for about 10 minutes. My wife enjoyed the Agony song. But yeah the last part of the movie was just a fucking mess. 5/10

I've seen the recording of the original Broadway version, as my parents used to play it for my sister and me all the time. My parents and sister saw it on opening day and were raving about it when they got home, but I honestly have no interest in actually seeing this movie.

The reason I'm in this thread is because I listened to basically the entire soundtrack album for the movie over the course of a few car rides the day before Christmas. I have a couple of things I want to comment on.

Lyrically, the Wolf's song my the same or toned down in terms of sexuality, but musically, it's way more overt than in the play. Just going off of the recording, Johnny Depp was well cast, even if it was obvious stunt-casting. Damn creepy.

Also, it may be because I've seen the scene from the play but not the counterpart in the film, but yikes, the
"You'll never need to walk!"
scene sounds a lot more disturbing than in the play. Probably because the stepmother squawks
"walk,"
emphasizing how twisted the whole thing was. In the original play, the scene came off as goofy, although you're more limited on stage for angles and special effects than in film. I was imagining an uncomfortably close camera angle with a wide-angle lens, a dark room, and creepy lighting for this as I listened.

Also, it may be because I've seen the scene from the play but not the counterpart in the film, but yikes, the
"You'll never need to walk!"
scene sounds a lot more disturbing than in the play. Probably because the stepmother squawks
"walk,"
emphasizing how twisted the whole thing was. In the original play, the scene came off as goofy, although you're more limited on stage for angles and special effects than in film.

It's pretty tame actually. The
foot mutilations
happened off screen. The audience found humor in it.
But yeah, Johnny Depp's song is a bit uncomfortable - definitely pedo-creepy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom