• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that pull off multiple points of view well

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This is one of, if not my absolute, favorite narrative techniques in games. Resident Evil 2 and 6, Suikoden III, and more recently Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep come to mind as games that have pulled off this technique exceptionally well.

Warcraft 3 takes the first place crown, though, if not for this one reason alone: Each PoV tells a unique story, with unique locations, in a larger narrative. Most games with multiple PoVs tell the same story from a different point of view. In WC3, there is one linear narrative that changes PoVs depending on where you are in the story chronologically. You always play Human, then Undead, then Orc, then Night Elf. In any RTS game, you usually play as the victor outside of a select few scripted instances. By splitting up the story in this manner, it allows certain factions and main characters to lose without having the player suffer at their expense.

WC3 is kind of a strange example, as part of the appeal of a different PoV is seeing the same thing from a different perspective. In WC3, you never see the Undead story from the Human's perspective, for example, which leaves it lacking in this regard. It's still a unique take on the technique, though, and still my favorite use of it all these years later.

Arion

Broken Age is pretty amazing at this.
The way they tie both prospectives together is the biggest twist of the year.

jakomocha

I thought Indigo Prophecy did it pretty well.

In fact, the game as a whole (especially its atmosphere) was pretty freaking good until the bizarre and stupid plot twist was revealed. Also, Walking Dead 400 Days did multiple points of view well but I wouldn't like their base Walking Dead games to be like that, they are better off with one protagonist.

Sonic Adventure 1 tried this and failed hard. Probably because the "plot" was paper thin and so poorly acted it was difficult watching it one time let alone several.

It also had this weird thing where there would be a scene with dialogue for one character's mode, then when you move on to another character you see the same scene, but with slightly different dialogue where the meaning is the same, but the way it's said is different. Like you're supposed to be witnessing the same thing from the other character's perspective, so why not have the same exact dialogue? Did they improvise the lines and then forget what they recorded or something? I will never understand this, so if anyone knows what I'm talking about, I'd like to hear about it.

Wiktor

The Dark Eye. Nothing comes close. It's a set of tragedies and you play each twice..once from the perspective of the victim and then as a killer.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Heavy Rain, they really played with POV's in that game.
When you realise that you are playing as the killer and most of your time spent as that character was actually cleaning up after yourself

I really enjoyed how GTA5 did it as well. I'd be pissed if they go back to 1 character in GTA6

kiuo

Seen my brother played this when i was young, Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits. Can't remember if it has any good but from what i remember, it told two sides of which was the humans and the demons who are at war.

Valiant hearts does it really well. You have four p.o.v characters and you know them well enough that you care wether they live or die.

When you realise that you are playing as the killer and most of your time spent as that character was actually cleaning up after yourself

I really enjoyed how GTA5 did it as well. I'd be pissed if they go back to 1 character in GTA6

Yeah, Heavy Rain was great. And GTA V immediately jumped to mind (as I'm playing it for the first time now).

I don't know how the game ends, but I'm hoping for a prequel of Mike, Brad, Lester, and a mustached Trevor pulling off some great heists.

You know, I'd add The Witcher 2 to the list. Lots of different perspectives are seen depending who you journey with.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I like the Skies of Arcadia dungeon where you are playing as Vyse/Guilder on one end and Aika/Fina on the other... and you both help each other out unbeknownst to the other characters.

While I didn't think the story was that great overall I really did like this part. I didn't see it coming and it worked pretty darn well. I was waiting for something like it in beyond but the out of order narrative in that game didn't work as well imo

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
While I didn't think the story was that great overall I really did like this part. I didn't see it coming and it worked pretty darn well. I was waiting for something like it in beyond but the out of order narrative in that game didn't work as well imo

Yea, it was the part of the game that stayed with me most. I have never really seen anything like it in a game before.

5taquitos

I know you mentioned it in the OP, but I have to repeat that Suikoden 3 did this marvelously. It was completely unexpected (for me at least), and made
choosing the Flame Champion
a tough decision. The different sides to the story were great, and fit in perfectly with the series' political story motifs.

I picked Hugo, since it seemed the like the default choice for the story, though I'll probably choose Geddoe on my next playthrough.

Dark_castle

Not sure if 2 counts as multiple, but I loved different perspective of Serge and
Lynx
in Chrono Cross. The transition, the after-math, the people you can meet and recruit, and how they respond to you in a different physical body was brilliantly done imo.

Sonic Adventure 1 tried this and failed hard. Probably because the "plot" was paper thin and so poorly acted it was difficult watching it one time let alone several.

It also had this weird thing where there would be a scene with dialogue for one character's mode, then when you move on to another character you see the same scene, but with slightly different dialogue where the meaning is the same, but the way it's said is different. Like you're supposed to be witnessing the same thing from the other character's perspective, so why not have the same exact dialogue? Did they improvise the lines and then forget what they recorded or something? I will never understand this, so if anyone knows what I'm talking about, I'd like to hear about it.

Sonic Adventure 1 is my favorite Sonic game because of this type of plot. Very enjoyable and it was cool having Knuckles and Tails also getting a few go's at Chaos.

No Neir yet, for shame.

Each replay you see a little more of what your and others actions caused, backstories on your allies, and
what the motivations of your enemies truly were.

Dark_castle

FFVI also pulled off multiple points of view very well. Splitting up party members to tackle different areas of a dungeon, working as a team never felt so good before.

I can think of one the exact opposite.

As much as I like Radiant Dawn, the multiple factions were handled not so spectacularly. Esp if one side is overpowering.

Terra_Ex

Suikoden 3 was probably my favourite example of it. Breath of Fire IV made good use of it too, particularly as one protagonist was silent and the other wasn't. It's something I'd like to see used more often in games, particularly when the characters are from opposing sides, GTAV being the most recent and successful example. The indie rpg Unrest seems to be focused round the switching of viewpoints as a core mechanic but I've only played a few minutes of it so can't really comment on it any further.

One that hasn't been mentioned, Bowser's Inside Story

The entire game and it's gameplay was centered around multiple points of view. Bowsers actions directly affected his internal conditions and the bros actions affected Bowser's health, and other conditions. It was a cool setup

heavyrain.jpg

Heavy Rain
Fear Effect
L.A. Noire
GTA V
Yakuza 4
Broken Sword 2
The Last of Us

All games that I feel benefitted from allowing you to play as different characters in accordance with the narrative.

Durante

Suikoden 3 is probably my favorite example of this.

And for one which most people are very unlikely to know about, Ar nosurge does this as well throughout the game!

Squishy3

How the fuck has nobody mentioned Eternal Darkness yet? Every new character you play as picks up the story years later after the last character you played as, ultimately culminating in the end as Alex. It's a struggle that takes place over hundreds of years.

Not multiple PoVs happening simultaneously, perse, but since the antagonist is immortal that doesn't really matter.

Tawpgun

GTA V was amazing.

It was really well designed in some of the missions. I could lure enemies for other characters to snipe/rocket and so on.

And in free roam it was cool seeing what other characters were doing

Corpekata

Banned
Valiant Hearts and the Blackwell series. I like in the Blackwell series how Joey, when examining things, would often get the names of modern items (like a computer mouse) wrong or would treat them with utter disdain.

I'll take Indigo Prophecy over Heavy Rain. I didn't think Bad Actor Cop or Madison added much, and the twist I thought was handled poorly.

Tawpgun

I'll give an honorable mention to Halo 2 also.

While gameplay was a little lacking, from a story standpoint it was really cool.

Top Bottom