• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that pull off multiple points of view well

How the fuck has nobody mentioned Eternal Darkness yet? Every new character you play as picks up the story years later after the last character you played as, ultimately culminating in the end as Alex. It's a struggle that takes place over hundreds of years.

Not multiple PoVs happening simultaneously, perse, but since the antagonist is immortal that doesn't really matter.

Ha ha, yeah. Eternal Darkness was amazing. I had always been waiting for a sequel to it, but it never came :(. The way the game fucks with you would have been so much worst had a sequel landed on Xbox 360.

Crimson Shroud, arguably. The GM/tabletop-campaign perspective of the main plot clashes against Flint and injured Frea investigating the aftermath of what happened...at least until, it becomes apparent, the plot hadn't yet ended. I think the regular ending's half-baked because it shoves out ambiguity to merely say, without a sequel hook or any hope of the player having a role, that civilization's endangered because
Abigail faked her appearance (as injured Frea) to trap Flint with the Chasers, the only individuals known to be capable of deterring Abigail
. But to an extent Matsuno smashes a third-person conversation occurring in media res against the second-person plot happening only hours before, and it works up to a point.

Took too long for Nier to show up.
Each playthrough has a different perspective. Gameplay even feels different. It takes 3 playthroughs to see everything there is!

Maxathon

Neo Member
Took too long for Nier to show up.
Each playthrough has a different perspective. Gameplay even feels different. It takes 3 playthroughs to see everything there is!

Agreed. Second playthrough of Nier had some "woah" moments for me, and the third adds a bit more.

Because I am contractually obligated to mention Marathon in all posts, Marathon Infinity does something similar. The player jumps between alternate realities, and works for different masters in each. You get to see the same events from different ideological perspectives, and sometimes you're forced to work for different outcomes than you did before (or would want to).

Top Bottom