• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ICE Team Programmer on 60 fps : I like 30 fps more with all the bells & whistles

Conduit

Banned
q0z8Fyl.png

t42bsfk.png

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
This 60fps thing is becoming sort of cultish. There's literally nothing wrong with a (solid) 30fps.

Kezen

Banned
Nothing that has never been brought up before. Scale/scope and visual fidelity have to be scaled down if you want 60fps, especially on consoles.

GHG

I agree for games that are not racing or sports games.

But then even with racing games, Forza horizon 2 and Driveclub have proved that 30fps can be good if done right.

Ricky_R

Me too. Although TLOU at 60fps was fucking great. I think I would like to try how does Uncharted plays at 60, tbh. Even though I would normally prefer 30 fps and better visuals overall.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
My stance is still that you need >30frames when it comes to competitive games and e sports. If it's a single player game the bells and whistles are more important.

Me too. Although TLOU on 60fps was fucking great.

Yeah but really it's a last gen game ported to an overkill hardware. There is always a trade between IQ and motion smoothness -even when it comes to PC, only a smaller percentage of gamers have high end machines.

injurai

Banned
This 60fps thing is becoming sort of cultish. There's literally nothing wrong with a (solid) 30fps.

Depends on the gameplay. Ratchet and Clank is much better served at 60 fps and no amount of extra bells and whistles will make up for that. Souls games are lumberous they can much more easily get by with constant 30 fps.

Endo Punk

Enjoyed many a games that are 30fps including those that even dip like Demon's Souls. But man a good 60fps game cannot be beat and in regards to certain genres that require speed/sense of like Driving, Fighting and frantic action 60fps is key.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm glad he mentioned that there are gameplay systems that would also have to be sacrificed if aiming for a higher framerate. I've often seen the argument that devs that aim for 30 care about graphics over gameplay and that's simply not true.

I personally love 60fps but am also totally fine with a solid 30fps.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
As someone who can see the difference between 30 and 60 fps clear as day, I'm still fine with 30fps if it's for the right reasons. Driveclub is a perfect example of a game that 30 fps is perfectly justified. Would I want a PC port where I could run it at 60 fps? Sure. But on a console you're going to have to sacrifice something.

I would just disagree.
I'm glad he mentioned that there are gameplay systems that would also have to be sacrificed if aiming for a higher framerate. I've often seen the argument that devs that aim for 30 care about graphics over gameplay and that's simply not true.

I would be more angry at the hardware (specifically the CPU) that makes the 60fps sacrafice some gameplay element. Beyond realtime fluid sims affecting gameplay, what reasonable feature is cordoned off by a 60fps goal?

Ace001

I enjoy the last of us at 60

I enjoy destiny at 30

I really can't tell the difference so I'm all for the bells and whistles

Edit: I have perfect vision

Skyzard

Banned
If it's mostly multiplayer I would prefer 60fps.

If it's single player, it depends how many bells and the quality of the whistles will be added. If there isn't much difference, I'll take 60fps.
30 if they've put effort into some nice effects.

pixlexic

Banned
As someone who can see the difference between 30 and 60 fps clear as day, I'm still fine with 30fps if it's for the right reasons. Driveclub is a perfect example of a game that 30 fps is perfectly justified. Would I want a PC port where I could run it at 60 fps? Sure. But on a console you're going to have to sacrifice something.

But drive club would be better at 60 fps. If it could do it.

2San

There's nothing wrong with his opinion. I start to roll my eyes when people talk bullshit like 30fps is more cinematic and feel better. I will always prefer 60fps though. This gen isn't really stunning even with the 30fps target so I can do without the bells and whistles.

30 fps or 60 fps... Whatever. I don't give a damn about those silly things. Just give me a polished game with good story, gameplay mechanics, graphics, replay value and minimal amount of bugs and I am good. I don't demand too much, right?

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Did anybody here read anything that they didn't already know?

I doubt it very much. Maybe that conversation can be linked whenever there is a 30vs60 fps debate going on ...

I used to be all about the pretty graphics but lately playing games at 60 frames/sec+ has made me rethink that. For example I have Dragon Age: Inquisition on my PS4 and I have pumped close to 70 hours into it and absolutely adore it. The games runs at 30 frames/sec and I was ok with that... Until I recently updated my graphics card on my PC to a GTX 970 and I ended up picking up DA:I on the pc for 30$ during a sale. Being able to play the same game at 60 frames/sec is a completely different experience and I am about to pump another 60-70 hours into the game again because it looks and feels so fucking awesome.

Endo Punk

sure, it just feels like shit.

This is the extreme attitude that makes it hard to take people seriously and ruins it for the rest of us who enjoy 60fps. If it truly is such a bother I suggest building a gaming rig and giving up on console gaming.

Ricky_R

My stance is still that you need >30frames when it comes to competitive games and e sports. If it's a single player game the bells and whistles are more important.

Yeah but really it's a last gen game ported to an overkill hardware. There is always a trade between IQ and motion smoothness -even when it comes to PC, only a smaller percentage of gamers have high end machines.

Indeed, but I guess I didn't have any issue by the way TLOU looked on PS4. Naturally, I would want UC4 to look much better, so I guess the frame rate might suffer.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Man posts his opinion and doesn't make any stupid statements like "you can't tell the difference, or it's more cinematic." Looking for controversy.

Depends on the gameplay. Ratchet and Clank is much better served at 60 fps and no amount of extra bells and whistles will make up for that. Souls games are lumberous they can much more easily get by with constant 30 fps.

Yeah especially when they say they wanted more room to add extra cool effects and stuff...

My main complaint with Into The Nexus was how the screen always felt cluttered by enemies/explosions/effects.

To be fair, that mostly had to do with the new camera/aiming system they implemented, but still.

Hasney

Makes sense. I wish we were given the option more often, as on PC I always make the trade-off to hit 60 rather than look pretty, but it's always going to have differing opinions.

Top Bottom