• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the New 3DS XL announced for the US, let's talk transfers

Tom_Cody

Don't forget for that you need format Micro SD cards to MS-DOS FAT32 if the card is larger the 32GBs.

Not sure about PCs, but the Mac OS has a simple tool "Disk Utility" that does the procedure in about 10 seconds for a blank card.

I reformatted my 64GB micro SD dandified card over the weekend and already transferred the files from my old 32GB SD card on to it.
Can you (or anyone else) speak more to this? I tried googling this topic and every reference had to do with Macs for some reason (I'm a PC user).

Kathian

Banned
"If you have a larger than 4gb microsd card and want to transfer your data without using a pc:
this method will not transfer your mh4u license if you have the mh4u special edition system.
1. Replace the New 3DS's included MicroSD card with your larger one.
2. Start system transfer from the source system.
3. When it asks, say you ARE using an SD card or MiniSD card.
4. When it gives you transfer options, choose wireless.
5a. If all of your current system's data will fit into the new MicroSD card, it will all transfer over at a rate of about 2GB per hour.
5b. If all of your current system's data will not fit into the new MicroSD card, it will transfer all system data and save data for digital games to the new system's included MicroSD card, but you will have to redownload any digital games you may own."

1. Start system transfer from the source system.

2. When it asks, say you are ARE using an SD card or MiniSD card.

3. When it gives you transfer options, choose wireless.

4. It will transfer all system data and save data for digital games to the new system's included MicroSD card.

5. You will have to redownload any games you want to play, including MH4U if you got the special edition system, but your save data will all be intact on the new system.

Am I unable to transfer to the new system then replace the old micro SD with a new larger one and have all my licenses on there?

In fact I should be able to transfer my licences and save data over to the 4GB; then upload that to a PC using the wi fi backup then switch card and copy the old one back?

Mzo

UPDATE:

I put in an email complaint and the district manager called me back in like 15 minutes, amazing customer service. Pretty much repeated what you guys all posted, can buy it at full price and return it with the trade-in system until Sunday.

Awesome, thanks!

FaintDeftone

I actually canceled my Gamestop preorder because they wouldn't allow me to transfer and get the credit applied later. Maybe I should try a different Gamestop...

KingGondo

Banned
I actually canceled my Gamestop preorder because they wouldn't allow me to transfer and get the credit applied later. Maybe I should try a different Gamestop...
Mine said they'd allow me to return the same day after transferring the data (since the $100 credit only applies on Friday). They'd do a return of the original (full price) transaction and then re-do the transaction.

Bwana Whiskey

Neo Member
Can you (or anyone else) speak more to this? I tried googling this topic and every reference had to do with Macs for some reason (I'm a PC user).

Nintendo recommends using the tool found here to format any SD Cards that will be used with a Nintendo product. Nintendo products strictly adhere to the SD Card standard.

Instructions on using this tool can be found at the bottom of this page. Please select "FULL (OverWrite)" when formatting the card.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/220

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

kubus

I am buying the MH4 n3DSXL. I currently have 32GB microsd with games on it. Is this the correct way to avoid losing my mh4 preinstalled game?

A) replace the n3ds xl microsd card to my current 32microsd card

B) Do System transfer between my current 3DSXL to the new3DS XL

C) redownload my games to my n3ds xl
If you do this, you will lose everything because the microSD in the target system (New 3DS) will be formatted at the start of the system transfer.

If I understand correctly, you're currently using a 32gb microSD in your current 3DS using a SD adapter, right? If that's the case, you're good to go. You only have to start the system transfer on both systems, follow the instructions, when prompted say you're using a MicroSD in your source 3DS, and when it's done transferring some small stuff you only have to take the microSD card out of your original 3DS and then put it into your New 3DS.

Crumbtiny

Still a little confused with all of this. I have a brand new micro sd card (haven't even opened it yet) that I want to use with the n3ds come Friday. Currently in my 3ds xl I have the memory card that came with the system. What's the best way to move everything over?

Will I need to put the new card in the n3ds first to format the new card? It's either 16 gigs or 32, can't remember. And then just do a transfer via wireless? I don't think I have a card reader for my PC either.

kubus

Still a little confused with all of this. I have a brand new micro sd card (haven't even opened it yet) that I want to use with the n3ds come Friday. Currently in my 3ds xl I have the memory card that came with the system. What's the best way to move everything over?

Will I need to put the new card in the n3ds first to format the new card? It's either 16 gigs or 32, can't remember. And then just do a transfer via wireless? I don't think I have a card reader for my PC either.

If you don't have a card reader, the only option is to do a Wireless Transfer, yeah.

So put your brand new MicroSD in the N3DS when you get it (if it's under 33GB you don't have to format it) and perform the system transfer. When it asks you which kind of transfer you want to do, choose one of the two "Wireless Transfers" options (one takes a while, the other is fast but you'll have to redownload your stuff through the eShop when it's done). Then when it's done, you're good to go.

Just make sure not to attach a NNID or something to your N3DS (this will make a transfer impossible) and you'll be fine :)

Crumbtiny

If you don't have a card reader, the only option is to do a Wireless Transfer, yeah.

So put your brand new MicroSD in the N3DS when you get it (if it's under 33GB you don't have to format it) and perform the system transfer. When it asks you which kind of transfer you want to do, choose one of the two "Wireless Transfers" options (one takes a while, the other is fast but you'll have to redownload your stuff through the eShop when it's done). Then when it's done, you're good to go.

Just make sure not to attach a NNID or something to your N3DS (this will make a transfer impossible) and you'll be fine :)

Thanks for the info Kubus! Very helpful! Can't wait for Friday!

paolo11

If you do this, you will lose everything because the microSD in the target system (New 3DS) will be formatted at the start of the system transfer.

If I understand correctly, you're currently using a 32gb microSD in your current 3DS using a SD adapter, right? If that's the case, you're good to go. You only have to start the system transfer on both systems, follow the instructions, when prompted say you're using a MicroSD in your source 3DS, and when it's done transferring some small stuff you only have to take the microSD card out of your original 3DS and then put it into your New 3DS.

I just found out and my card is sdhc, not micro sd. What's the best way so I would not lose my license and mh4 game?

I just found out and my card is sdhc, not micro sd. What's the best way so I would not lose my license and mh4 game?

?
SDHC just stands for "High Capacity". it has nothing to do with it being micro, mini or standard-sized SD. "micro" or "mini" just refers to the actual physical size of the card itself.

If you have a standard sized SD card now you need to get a micro SD card for your N3DS

Eb4ZaAy.png

what do you mean attach a nnid to the new 3DS? It will be impossible? Yet they give you an option?

what do you mean attach a nnid to the new 3DS? It will be impossible? Yet they give you an option?

He means you should (must) not create a new NNID on your new N3DS or otherwise you won't be able to transfer.

and of course they give you the option. How should Nintendo know that you are not a new 3DS owner?

Tom_Cody

Sorry, I have no idea as to what software to use on a PC.
As far as I can tell, you are posting a solution to a problem that only exists with macs. I guess I'll find out in a couple of days.

Nintendo recommends using the tool found here to format any SD Cards that will be used with a Nintendo product. Nintendo products strictly adhere to the SD Card standard.

Instructions on using this tool can be found at the bottom of this page. Please select "FULL (OverWrite)" when formatting the card.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/220

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
Thanks.

I'm happy that I will be able to test this before I get into the actual transfer process.

kubus

Thanks to all of you who volunteered to test my New 3DS transfer questionnaire, I think it's ready to post now.

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, I made a Google Form for the New 3DS OT that takes you through some questions and at the end will tell you what system transfer method is most convenient under your conditions. I guess it won't hurt to post now.

So if you're unsure what to do, follow this link and see if the solution works for you. If someone spots a mistake, pleaseee let me know so I can fix it before I potentially mess up someone's transfer :p.

One thing I'm confused about is that Nintendo says you need a Philips #0 screwdriver, while all other reports say you need a Philips #00. I use a random brand screwdriver in my N3DS so I don't know which is correct. Are they different depending on region? If so I will have to update the guide.

Salaadin

So according to that video, I don't need GameStop to even touch my memory cards. They'll most likely just do the transfer and then all I have to do is pull the micro SD from the adapter in my current 3ds and put it in the new. For some reason I thought there was another step.

iMax

Thanks to all of you who volunteered to test my New 3DS transfer questionnaire, I think it's ready to post now.

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, I made a Google Form for the New 3DS OT that takes you through some questions and at the end will tell you what system transfer method is most convenient under your conditions. I guess it won't hurt to post now.

So if you're unsure what to do, follow this link and see if the solution works for you. If someone spots a mistake, pleaseee let me know so I can fix it before I potentially mess up someone's transfer :p.

One thing I'm confused about is that Nintendo says you need a Philips #0 screwdriver, while all other reports say you need a Philips #00. I use a random brand screwdriver in my N3DS so I don't know which is correct. Are they different depending on region? If so I will have to update the guide.

Umm, this is awesome. Nintendo should be promoting this instead of their super confusing video. Well done dude!!

Rocky

Banned
I already have an 8GB microsd in an adapter in my current 3DS XL, I can just pop that into my New 3DS XL after the transfer is done right? It won't erase anything on it or anything like that will it?

KevinG

Seriously, amazing. Nintendo should hire you. I need to tweet this with a good hashtag. Maybe, #new3DStransfer?

kubus

Very cool.

Umm, this is awesome. Nintendo should be promoting this instead of their super confusing video. Well done dude!!

Seriously, amazing. Nintendo should hire you. I need to tweet this with a good hashtag. Maybe, #new3DStransfer?

Thanks all! (it's dudette, btw :))

Go ahead and tweet it, if it's helpful it'd be happy if more people could find it :).

Why? What happens if I do have set an account in the target system? Will it be deleted?
Hmm maybe I should clarify a bit in the guide. Setting up the system is different from making a NNID. A NNID is an account registered to your e-mail address which is used to access network functions such as the eShop and Miiverse. You won't be prompted to make a NNID until you try to open such applications. It is also shared between the Wii U and 3DS.

You won't be able to do a system transfer from a system with NNID attached to another system with NNID attached. More information here.

Mzo

Mine said they'd allow me to return the same day after transferring the data (since the $100 credit only applies on Friday). They'd do a return of the original (full price) transaction and then re-do the transaction.

Gamestops are all the same. The official GameStop policy is that you have until Sunday to complete the transaction. You're allowed to buy the system at full price on Friday, take it home, do the transfer, return the system along with the trade-in system and re-purchase it with the trade-in credit. This doesn't change on a store by store basis. The turnover in my closest store is atrocious, I almost never see the same face twice, and a lot of these guys don't know shit about games outside of what they've been told. Most seemed confused and I've seen them tell people they can download the games from Nintendo again.

If any employee is giving you shit about it, I'd suggest doing what I did and contacting the district manager. If you made a purchase just do the survey, indicate you have a question and fill it out.

Sapiens

Nope, that one is good so go for it! Actually I think most people bought that one (including me)

Thank you. Ordered.

I think the 3DS is the best thing Nintendo has ever done and far superior to the WiiU, so I can't wait to just do nothing and enjoy my new 3DS this weekend. Going from an OG3DS to a new XL; so glad I held off on the first revision.

Lucifon

This is great, and answered my question, thanks!

As other's have said, Nintendo should promote this, it clearly spells out what to do. Whereas their current messaging is incredibly confusing.

Unai

You won't be able to do a system transfer from a system with NNID attached to another system with NNID attached. More information here.

That's what I wanted to know. I thought that I could set an account in my new system, and after that transfer the content from the old one that has a different account to the new one, basically changing my NNID without having to format the system. I wanted to do that so I could buy from the Canadian eShop since I can't use the one in my country anymore.

Thanks.

Thank you, Kubus, for the guide! I was a bit confused earlier this week when I thought I needed to transfer my 4GB SD card to the new 3DS, even though I wasn't changing sizes. Glad to see that I don't need to after all.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So humor me for a second here.

I have the old 3DS XL. I plan to buy the new 3DS XL.

If I do the gamestop trade in program I need to take my old 3ds in the day I get the new 3ds, thus I can't do a dual system transfer. So, in that case can I do this?

1. Take SD card out of old 3ds, put in Mac SD slot.
2. Copy files to folder on Mac
3. Wipe old 3ds
4. Sell back old 3ds, pick up new 3ds.
5. Buy bigger MICRO SD card for new 3ds (and an adapter)
6. Put micro SD card into my mac (using adapter)
7. Move files from mac to new micro sd card.
8. Put new micro sd card in new 3ds.
9. Play

Is this correct? Will I need to do anything extra? Do I HAVE to have both 3ds' together to do a transfer?

Also, how big of micro SD card can it take? I may order this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004G7D0EG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks all!

This guide helps, but it looks like I still need to have both 3ds' in my possession at the same time right?

"Take 4GB SD card out of current XL. Copy everything onto your PC. Put micro SD card in SD card adapter and copy everything onto it, and put in your old XL.

When you do the transfer, say 'no' when asked 'do you have a mini SD or SD card' because you don't (you have a micro SD). It'll then transfer licenses and stuff across to the new 3DS, and then tell you to take the microSD out of your current system, and put it in the new one. After that, the new 3DS should be set. Put your old 4GB SD card back in your old system for trading in."

Hmm

Thanks

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Link : Image

Thanks for this. I can't believe Nintendo made this so needlessly complicated.

paolo11

After the transfer from on old 3DS XL to the MH4 N3DS XL, once I lose my MH4 game, I need to redownload the game, right? If that is the case, don't you need to enter your Nintendo ID? If you do, would you lose the MH4 License game?

After the transfer from on old 3DS XL to the MH4 N3DS XL, once I lose my MH4 game, I need to redownload the game, right? If that is the case, don't you need to enter your Nintendo ID? If you do, would you lose the MH4 License game?

Do not enter am ID before transferring. After you transfer you'll have to redownload. Your new system will already have you NNID

xxteargodxx

Neo Member
Could you perhaps update your guide some how? I get to the point where it asks me if I have a MicroSD to SD adapter and I select no and it still prompts me to continue with a PC System Transfer.

Why not update it to proceed as wireless transfers for those who don't have MicroSD to SD adapters?

kubus

Could you perhaps update your guide some how? I get to the point where it asks me if I have a MicroSD to SD adapter and I select no and it still prompts me to continue with a PC System Transfer.

Why not update it to proceed as wireless transfers for those who don't have MicroSD to SD adapters?
Haha yeah I was just about to fix that :). Thanks for your feedback.

naeS

I spoke to my Gamestop's manager about this too and she said that their process is this:

1) fully sell the new 3Ds XL.
2) customer goes home and completes system transfer.
3) customer returns to store with old XL for trade-in AND receipt for the new 3DS XL purchase.
4) store processes a return for the New 3DS XL.
5) store then processes a new transaction for the $100 trade-in and sale of the new 3DS XL.

So I bought the Majora's Mask n3DSXL on the Gamestop website, would they still honor this?

Ahh maybe not, not sure if you can refund a website purchase in store. I'll probably just call them.

I spoke to my Gamestop's manager about this too and she said that their process is this:

1) fully sell the new 3Ds XL.
2) customer goes home and completes system transfer.
3) customer returns to store with old XL for trade-in AND receipt for the new 3DS XL purchase.
4) store processes a return for the New 3DS XL.
5) store then processes a new transaction for the $100 trade-in and sale of the new 3DS XL.

Gamestop near me said I was able to trade in my 3DS, buy the New 3DS and just do the transfer their at the store. I'm sure it's different for every Gamestop, but I'm glad mine is doing it this way.

I'm sure you can just ask the Gamestop if you can just do it this way.

paolo11

Do not enter am ID before transferring. After you transfer you'll have to redownload. Your new system will already have you NNID

I will not enter my ID before transfer. I am just worried if my NNID is on my new MH4 system and I re download my games, would it lose MH4 licencse on MH4 system?

Top Bottom