• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the New 3DS XL announced for the US, let's talk transfers

I have a few screwdrivers in our house but not sure if its a 00 or not..do they usually say the number on top of the screwdriver? Maybe I can test it on something that I already own that is the same size as the 3ds xl backing to compare it to

It should be the same as the back cover on the whole 3ds family.

ciD_Vain

The screwdriver is also the same size that works on glasses/sunglasses. I got one with a pair of sunglasses before and found out it fit my 3ds when I needed to change out a bad battery.

The screwdriver is also the same size that works on glasses/sunglasses. I got one with a pair of sunglasses before and found out it fit my 3ds when I needed to change out a bad battery.

I have many pairs of glasses never got a screwdriver with it..guess you lucked out..I have a screwdriver that might work will take a pic and post it tomorrow..by the way, love your avatar such an adorable pooch

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I want to trade in my 3ds xl for the new 3ds. I do have some digital games.
Can you do a transfer using the pc then transfer that to the new 3dsl or do you need both?

moerser

i have a question regarding preinstalled games. i will get the monster hunter n3dsxl. is it possible to simply transfer the data on the micro sd card to a bigger one and put the bigger card in the n3ds BEFORE i even turn on the console for the first time? or do i have to redownload?
thanks in advance.

To avoid the long wait of a gamestop in-store transfer, I decided to transfer to my brother's 3DS since he doesn't download any games to his. After transfering I read "Next available transfer: 7 days". I'm sure it said this before and I just didn't notice. Oh well, that's 2 days after receiving the n3DSXL, I can live with that.

Take it to gamestop since I can't afford the n3DS otherwise. They inform me that there is no serial number on my 3DS! Nothing. It's just blank. I never even knew what that blank rectangle was for on the back of my 3DS. It never came with a serial number. It's just a blank space.

They can't take my 3DS for the trade in, and now I'm left n3DS-less. Oh well, at least I could put my pre-order money towards Majora's Mask I guess :(

Neiteio

On mobile, jumping to end of thread. Need Amazon link for compatible high-capacity micro SD card. Also detailed instructions on how to transfer digital purchases from XL to N3DS XL, and how to transfer save data from SD to micro SD. Currently stuck with a MacBook Pro (eww, Macs) on loan from office while I look to replace busted PC, so I don't know if a Mac can facilitate card transfers.

KevinG

On mobile, jumping to end of thread. Need Amazon link for compatible high-capacity micro SD card. Also detailed instructions on how to transfer digital purchases from XL to N3DS XL, and how to transfer save data from SD to micro SD. Currently stuck with a MacBook Pro (eww, Macs) on loan from office while I look to replace busted PC, so I don't know if a Mac can facilitate card transfers.

My MacBook facilitated just fine, but that's the only part I can help with at the moment.

CyberWorm

Take it to gamestop since I can't afford the n3DS otherwise. They inform me that there is no serial number on my 3DS! Nothing. It's just blank. I never even knew what that blank rectangle was for on the back of my 3DS. It never came with a serial number. It's just a blank space.

You can also take the back off the 3DS and find the serial number printed inside.

edit: I just took apart my old 3DS, the extra serial # is inside under the battery.

vareon

Gaf, my wifi connection has a habit of disconnecting from 3ds..does anyone know what happened if the internet is disconnected while doing system transfer?

SOLDIER

I want to make sure I got all the steps down so this becomes as smooth a process as possible.

1. Make a backup of the contents of my SD card on my PC

2. Go to Gamestop, do the system transfer from my old 3DS

3. Resume the system transfer on my New 3DS

4. Move the files from my PC to my new Micro SD card, put it on my New 3DS.

That it?

Socreges

Banned
I want to make sure I got all the steps down so this becomes as smooth a process as possible.

1. Make a backup of the contents of my SD card on my PC

2. Go to Gamestop, do the system transfer from my old 3DS

3. Resume the system transfer on my New 3DS

4. Move the files from my PC to my new Micro SD card, put it on my New 3DS.

That it?
Also wondering this.

All I'm interested in retaining are my saves and licenses (ie, allowing me to redownload ambassador games and other digital downloads). Do I necessarily require both the source and target system to be together during the transfer? Can I not put everything on the SD, trade in the 3DS, and days later get my N3DS and load everything on through the SD card?

taco543

so just for my own sanity when i get my new 3ds , i still have my old one and also have a seperate memory card for the new one, is there anything special i need to do or just follow transfer steps? also the new 3ds is the minster hunter one, with it being preinstalled does it change anything?

ps sorry if its poorly formatted or there are any typos im posting from my wii u.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Also wondering this.

All I'm interested in retaining are my saves and licenses (ie, allowing me to redownload ambassador games and other digital downloads). Do I necessarily require both the source and target system to be together during the transfer? Can I not put everything on the SD, trade in the 3DS, and days later get my N3DS and load everything on through the SD card?

No - both need to be connected at the same time.

Murkas

Ordered this stick : http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00M55C0NS/

My old 3DS already has a 8GB MicroSD to SD adapter inside, So If I'm correct, I copy all the data onto my PC, move it to the new 32GB stick, put that back in my old 3DS and then follow these steps?

If you have a larger than 4gb microsd card with a microsd to sd adapter and want to transfer your data:
Skip steps 1 and 2 if you're already using the MicroSD in your current system.
1. Copy all data from the source system's SD card to the larger MicroSD.
2. Put that MicroSD into the source system via the MicroSD to SD adapter.
3. Start system transfer from the source system.
4. When it asks, say you are NOT using an SD card or MiniSD card, because you are using a MicroSD card.
5. It transfers the licenses, then asks you to simply put the MicroSD card into the New 3DS.
6. Replace the included MicroSD with your new MicroSD. You will have to re-download MH4U if you got the special edition system.

Hope I got it all right, my 8GB stick only has 17000 blocks free and MH4U takes around 20000 :(

Quick question. I have a 32GB SD card in my XL. The N3DS comes with a 4GB miniSD card. I'm not sure if I have 4GB worth of stuff on my XL at the moment. I can just choose the second option, where it only transfers licences and saves, and then just redownload things on my N3DS right?

kubus

Quick question. I have a 32GB SD card in my XL. The N3DS comes with a 4GB miniSD card. I'm not sure if I have 4GB worth of stuff on my XL at the moment. I can just choose the second option, where it only transfers licences and saves, and then just redownload things on my N3DS right?
Yes, in your case this would be the best option.

(Not sure if typo, but the N3DS comes with a MicroSD card, not a MiniSD)

Also reposting this, only got one PM but haven't heard back from that person yet so I'm still without feedback :p.

OK so I made a "branching questionnaire" in Google Forms (I really don't know how to describe it otherwise) that can help people with finding out what they need to do for the system transfer.

It asks questions like "What kind of 3DS do you have", "which N3DS are you buying", "What SD/MicroSD card are you using" and so forth, and based on your answers it will give a result at the end with instructions on what to do in your situation.

(This is all for the New Nintendo 3DS launch OT that I'm preparing)

I'm looking for people who want to test it. Preferably people who are familiar with the transfer process and are able to find errors if I made any. It's quite a complex thing (there are about 17 different results) and before I launch it publicly, I want to make sure that I didn't make any big mistakes that could cause people to lose their data :p. Or maybe I forgot to include specific scenarios that I still have to add.

If you're interested in testing it, shoot me a PM and I'll send you the link!

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Do I have to turn on the New 3DS XL with its microSD inside during the transfer, or do I transfer, take the microSD out of the New 3DS XL, then it's good to go?

Also reposting this, only got one PM but haven't heard back from that person yet so I'm still without feedback :p.

You should just post it here right now, people will get more mileage out of it before buying their n3DS.

Do I have to turn on the New 3DS XL with its microSD inside during the transfer, or do I transfer, take the microSD out of the New 3DS XL, then it's good to go?

The latter. I'm not sure what happens when you take it out first but just to be on the safe side, do the transfer first with the system at it is then do whatever you have to do with the card when you're done.

Tom_Cody

I currently have a 32GB SD in my XL and I just ordered a 64GB micro SD for my incoming nXL.

I am planning to switch over to the 64GB micro SD with my existing XL (via PC and a micro-to-normal adapter) so I can simply swap micro cards during the system transfer process on the new system. Will this work? Am I understanding the process correctly?

mooseman

Was hoping I could transfer today. Walmart had a New 3DS XL on the shelf but the register wouldn't allow the sale so I couldn't purchase it today. Guess I'll get a shot on Friday when I pick up my preorder

kubus

I currently have a 32GB SD in my XL and I just ordered a 64GB micro SD for my incoming nXL.

I am planning to switch over to the 64GB micro SD with my existing XL (via PC and a micro-to-normal adapter) so I can simply swap micro cards during the system transfer process on the new system. Will this work? Am I understanding the process correctly?

Yep, do it.

moerser

i have a question regarding preinstalled games. i will get the monster hunter n3dsxl. is it possible to simply transfer the data on the micro sd card to a bigger one and put the bigger card in the n3ds BEFORE i even turn on the console for the first time? or do i have to redownload?
thanks in advance.

anyone? pretty please!

Quick question before I might trade in my 3DS for a new 3DS on Friday. I currently have a 8gb SD card in my 3DS and a spare 8gb microSD card, can I simply copy the content over to the microSD card with my PC and then after the 3DS transfer is done, pop in the microSD into my new 3DS without it being in my old 3DS before once? :eek:

I ask because my old 3DS has trouble with microSD > SD adapters and has a rather fickle connection at times when I use some :/

EDIT: I also wouldn't mind to redownload the only things I have digitally if I have to as it isn't that much.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
If you have a larger than 4gb microsd card with a microsd to sd adapter and want to transfer your data:
Skip steps 1 and 2 if you're already using the MicroSD in your current system.
1. Copy all data from the source system's SD card to the larger MicroSD.
2. Put that MicroSD into the source system via the MicroSD to SD adapter.
3. Start system transfer from the source system.
4. When it asks, say you are NOT using an SD card or MiniSD card, because you are using a MicroSD card.
5. It transfers the licenses, then asks you to simply put the MicroSD card into the New 3DS.
6. Replace the included MicroSD with your new MicroSD. You will have to re-download MH4U if you got the special edition system.

So this applies to me. Already finished steps 1/2 by transferring data via PC(from old SD card) and slotting my 64gb new microSD card into my old 3DS. All games/ambassador stuff are playable and working with the new card in an SD adapter.

My only question is when I get the n3DS and start the transfer between the two, do I take the 'bundled' smaller n3DS micro SD card out first? Or just leave it in during transfer to replace with my 64gb one when complete? Just confused on that step.

kubus

So this applies to me. Already finished steps 1/2 by transferring data via PC(from old SD card) and slotting my 64gb new microSD card into my old 3DS. All games/ambassador stuff are playable and working with the new card in an SD adapter.

My only question is when I get the n3DS and start the transfer between the two, do I take the 'bundled' smaller n3DS micro SD card out first? Or just leave it in during transfer to replace with my 64gb one when complete? Just confused on that step.
Just leave everything as it is, when you do the transfer you will be asked if you're using a MicroSD card. Just follow the instructions and it will tell you when to swap the microSDs around :)

thanks in advance.
Nobody is really sure yet (I asked this too because I wasn't sure but didn't get an answer)

There is very big chance it'll be fine, but just to be sure you don't lose the license to the game I wouldn't mess with the microSD until after the system transfer has completed. So what you want to do is: do the transfer, choose "Copy via PC" when prompted, and let it do it's thing. Then when prompted, copy the data from your old SD to your pc, and from pc to your 64GB microSD and put the new card into your N3DSXL. You'll have to redownload MH4U, but there's no escaping that anyway.

melman101

Gonna check it right now :)

Yep, do it.

Don't forget for that you need format Micro SD cards to MS-DOS FAT32 if the card is larger the 32GBs.

Not sure about PCs, but the Mac OS has a simple tool "Disk Utility" that does the procedure in about 10 seconds for a blank card.

I reformatted my 64GB micro SD dandified card over the weekend and already transferred the files from my old 32GB SD card on to it.

moerser

Just leave everything as it is, when you do the transfer you will be asked if you're using a MicroSD card. Just follow the instructions and it will tell you when to swap the microSDs around :)

Nobody is really sure yet (I asked this too because I wasn't sure but didn't get an answer)

There is very big chance it'll be fine, but just to be sure you don't lose the license to the game I wouldn't mess with the microSD until after the system transfer has completed. So what you want to do is: do the transfer, choose "Copy via PC" when prompted, and let it do it's thing. Then when prompted, copy the data from your old SD to your pc, and from pc to your 64GB microSD and put the new card into your N3DSXL. You'll have to redownload MH4U, but there's no escaping that anyway.

thanks, but thats not an option. see, i currently DO NOT have a 3ds. so i cant do a system transfer. im starting from scratch. i just dont want to risk losing the preinstalled mh

Mzo

Any update on the GameStop policy for this?

Stopped by my local place and the guy said the trade couldn't be done on Friday since the offer has been discontinued. He knew nothing of how Nintendo's account system works and even said the only option was to trade in the system and lose all the data inside, "It's what everybody does."

Asked to talk to the manager; he was the manager.

Now I have concerns.

Squishy3

thanks, but thats not an option. see, i currently DO NOT have a 3ds. so i cant do a system transfer. im starting from scratch. i just dont want to risk losing the preinstalled mh
Yeah, you have nothing to worry about then. Plug the SD card that came with the New 3DS into the adapter you have connected to your computer, copy the data onto your desktop or wherever you'd like, put in the bigger SD card and then move that data onto that SD card. That's it, you don't need to fiddle with any system settings or anything since the SD card will be going back into the same system.

The MH license will be tied to that N3DS hardware. This method should work if you'd like to upgrade you micro SD card. Upon receiving your new N3DS XL you should...

1) take out the 4GB micro SD card and copy all the files to a folder on your PC/Mac Desktop.

2) insert your new, larger, micro SD card in your PC/Mac and copy those same files from the desktop folder onto the new larger card.

3) insert the larger card into the system and power on the system to ensure the game loads perfectly.

4) open the eShop app and proceed to register a new, or existing, Nintendo Network ID so the license will be tied to your credentials.

Stopped by my local place and the guy said the trade couldn't be done on Friday since the offer has been discontinued. He knew nothing of how Nintendo's account system works and even said the only option was to trade in the system and lose all the data inside, "It's what everybody does."

Now I have concerns.

Offer valid until 2/15/15. Credit must be applied toward the purchase or reservation of a new 3DS.

I've been told by multiple managers and District Managers that what you do is pay for your system, do the transfer then come back in with your receipt and trade and you will be refunded

melman101

Now I have concerns.

I was having concerns myself. You know what I decided (for myself)? That it wasn't worth it to trade in my original 3DS.

1. I paid $250 launch price and still have the box and everything.
2. They want me to trade in the power adapter + system. Brand new first party power adapter is $15. So that means, my 3DS trade in is now worth $60. That's 1 and a 1/2 games.

I'll eat the $60 bucks and do the transfer at home without anyone badgering me.

I know you can buy cheaper AC adapters, but I like the first party one, etc.

Offer valid until 2/15/15. Credit must be applied toward the purchase or reservation of a new 3DS.

I've been told by multiple managers and District Managers that what you do is pay for your system, do the transfer then come back in with your receipt and trade and you will be refunded

I hope that's how it works for everyone doing the trade in.

Now I have concerns.

I spoke to my Gamestop's manager about this too and she said that their process is this:

1) fully sell the new 3Ds XL.
2) customer goes home and completes system transfer.
3) customer returns to store with old XL for trade-in AND receipt for the new 3DS XL purchase.
4) store processes a return for the New 3DS XL.
5) store then processes a new transaction for the $100 trade-in and sale of the new 3DS XL.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Don't forget for that you need format Micro SD cards to MS-DOS FAT32 if the card is larger the 32GBs.

Not sure about PCs, but the Mac OS has a simple tool "Disk Utility" that does the procedure in about 10 seconds for a blank card.

I reformatted my 64GB micro SD dandified card over the weekend and already transferred the files from my old 32GB SD card on to it.

Can confirm this is as being the easiest way to format to FAT32. Tried a few 3rd party programs on Windows 7, but the 3DS had issues recognizing the card after the reformat for whatever reasons. Frustrated, I just stuck the new microSD with adapter into my MacBook, went to the Disk Utility application and re-formatted again to MS FAT(isn't labeled as FAT32 in the format list, but it actually is). 3DS has had zero issues going that route, so Mac users definitely take note.

When you insert a new sd card into the new 3DS is there any calibrations that need to be done like formatting and stuff?

This seems like the simple solution.

moerser

The MH license will be tied to that N3DS hardware. This method should work if you'd like to upgrade you micro SD card. Upon receiving your new N3DS XL you should...

1) take out the 4GB micro SD card and copy all the files to a folder on your PC/Mac Desktop.

2) insert your new, larger, micro SD card in your PC/Mac and copy those same files from the desktop folder onto the new larger card.

3) insert the larger card into the system and power on the system to ensure the game loads perfectly.

4) open the eShop app and proceed to register a new, or existing, Nintendo Network ID so the license will be tied to your credentials.

awesome, thanks alot! thank you too, squishy3!

I spoke to my Gamestop's manager about this too and she said that their process is this:

1) fully sell the new 3Ds XL.
2) customer goes home and completes system transfer.
3) customer returns to store with old XL for trade-in AND receipt for the new 3DS XL purchase.
4) store processes a return for the New 3DS XL.
5) store then processes a new transaction for the $100 trade-in and sale of the new 3DS XL.

That's exactly how we are doing it at our store

I was having concerns myself. You know what I decided (for myself)? That it wasn't worth it to trade in my original 3DS.

1. I paid $250 launch price and still have the box and everything.
2. They want me to trade in the power adapter + system. Brand new first party power adapter is $15. So that means, my 3DS trade in is now worth $60. That's 1 and a 1/2 games.

I'll eat the $60 bucks and do the transfer at home without anyone badgering me.

I know you can buy cheaper AC adapters, but I like the first party one, etc.

I hope that's how it works for everyone doing the trade in.

Buy a cheap adaptor for the trade and keep your first party is what I'm recommending everyone to do

paolo11

I am buying the MH4 n3DSXL. I currently have 32GB microsd with games on it. Is this the correct way to avoid losing my mh4 preinstalled game?

A) replace the n3ds xl microsd card to my current 32microsd card

B) Do System transfer between my current 3DSXL to the new3DS XL

C) redownload my games to my n3ds xl

Top Bottom