• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the New 3DS XL announced for the US, let's talk transfers

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Still getting conflicted reports about the transfer process with a New 3DS + pre-installed software AND a larger than 4GB MicroSD Card.

One guide says that you will lose the MH4U license if you pop in a bigger MicroSD card before doing the transfer. Doesn't really make sense to me because the license should be tied to the system, and not the card, right?

Other guide says that you should copy the contents of the stock 4GB MicroSD in the New 3DS to the larger MicroSD card, and then do the transfer. License will carry over and you can redownload it once transfer is complete.

Obviously the best way to go about it is to start using the larger MicroSD in your old 3DS, then do the transfer and just switch around the cards when completed. But I kinda want to know what the alternative options are for my New 3DS launch guide :(.

Monster hunter license should be fine as long as you don't register an NNID on the new 3DS before the transfer (because then the game will be associated with the NNID which will get overwritten in the transfer)

Doombear

Yeah I think I may do the same and re-download my content.

Anyone know if you can still re-download your ambassador games and certificate if you do it this way? I love my Ambassador Certificate LOL :).

I'd look into it, I swear something I read recently said that some (all?) ambassador games are no longer on the eShop? Not being one myself, I can't confirm.

that's what I gather. using a microSD card on your old 3DS will remove the need for a PC

so from the top and you'll be using "Copy via PC"

1. system transfer on both of your systems. Old 3DS is "send" and new 3DS is "receive"
2. start the system transfer on your old 3DS
3. say "no" when it asks if you're using an SD card or miniSD card because you're already using a microSD (in an SD card adapter) in your old 3DS
4. your stuff gets transferred then it'll ask you to put the microSD from your old 3DS and put it in your new system

Remember, if you choose 'No' indicating that you are not using an SD or Mini SD but rather a micro SD in your current 3DS, you will never even get asked how you want to transfer. You will just do the system transfer (profile, FC list, settings, etc.) and then you will be prompted to finalize the transfer and power the consoles down and swap the micro from old to new 3DS.

Doombear

For the new page - Redmond Stache's WONDERFUL guide to get you through all this.

If you have any download games on your current 3ds, you must perform a system transfer if you want to use them on your new system.

Do not connect a nintendo network id to the new system until after transferring, or it will not let you transfer before you completely delete all data on the system, including your mh4u license if you got the special edition system.

It is impossible to transfer data back from a new 3ds to a classic 3ds or 3ds xl. Once your data is on a new 3ds, it can only be transferred to another new 3ds.

It is impossible to transfer your data if you no longer have the system from which you want to transfer it, even if you keep its sd card.

In order to perform a system transfer, both systems must be able to connect to the internet. The transfer process usually takes between 20 minutes and two hours and requires both systems to have sufficient charge or to be plugged in to a charger. You will have to plug your new system into a charger if you want to transfer as soon as you take it out of the box.

You will need a philips head size #00 screwdriver in order to gain access to the microsd slot on a new 3ds.

If you follow the directions outlined here, there is nothing to worry about. Transferring your system data before logging into your nnid on your new system will ensure that you are able to use your new system to play all digital games you currently own, including any that come pre-downloaded on your new system. Additionally, all of your game saves will survive the transfer as well.

Don't panic.

Note: "Source system" refers to the system from which you are transferring. It is your older 3DS.

To transfer, go into system settings and choose "system transfer" on both systems, and then tell the new system to receive and the old system to send.

NOW WHICH OF THESE APPLIES TO YOU

If you have a larger than 4gb microsd card with a microsd to sd adapter and want to transfer your data:
Skip steps 1 and 2 if you're already using the MicroSD in your current system.
1. Copy all data from the source system's SD card to the larger MicroSD.
2. Put that MicroSD into the source system via the MicroSD to SD adapter.
3. Start system transfer from the source system.
4. When it asks, say you are NOT using an SD card or MiniSD card, because you are using a MicroSD card.
5. It transfers the licenses, then asks you to simply put the MicroSD card into the New 3DS.
6. Replace the included MicroSD with your new MicroSD. You will have to re-download MH4U if you got the special edition system.

If you do not have a microsd to sd adapter but have a larger than 4gb microsd card and want to transfer your data more quickly:
1. Start system transfer from the source system.
2. When it asks, say you ARE using an SD card or MiniSD card.
3. When it gives you transfer options, choose to transfer via PC. If you transfer via wireless, you will have to redownload all of your games, and you will have to use a PC to transfer to your larger MicroSD later anyway.
4. It will transfer some system data, and then ask you to remove the SD card and copy its contents over to a MicroSD card. Do so now.
5. Replace the included MicroSD with the new MicroSD to which you just copied the SD card's data. You will have to re-download MH4U if you got the special edition system.

If you have a larger than 4gb microsd card and want to transfer your data without using a pc:
this method will not transfer your mh4u license if you have the mh4u special edition system.
1. Replace the New 3DS's included MicroSD card with your larger one.
2. Start system transfer from the source system.
3. When it asks, say you ARE using an SD card or MiniSD card.
4. When it gives you transfer options, choose wireless.
5a. If all of your current system's data will fit into the new MicroSD card, it will all transfer over at a rate of about 2GB per hour.
5b. If all of your current system's data will not fit into the new MicroSD card, it will transfer all system data and save data for digital games to the new system's included MicroSD card, but you will have to redownload any digital games you may own.

If you do not have a larger than 4gb microsd card* and want to transfer your data:
*This includes if you are using the New 3DS's included MicroSD card.
1. Start system transfer from the source system.
2. When it asks, say you are ARE using an SD card or MiniSD card.
3. When it gives you transfer options, choose wireless.
4. It will transfer all system data and save data for digital games to the new system's included MicroSD card.
5. You will have to redownload any games you want to play, including MH4U if you got the special edition system, but your save data will all be intact on the new system.

If you have a larger than 4gb microsd card but do not have any data to transfer**:
**This includes if this New 3DS is your first 3DS.
1. Sign in to your Nintendo Network ID (or create one) on the New 3DS.
2. Power down the system, remove its MicroSD card, and use a PC to copy its contents to your larger MicroSD card.
3. Put the larger MicroSD card into the system. You're done!

If you do not have a larger than 4gb microsd card and do not have any data to transfer***:
***This includes if you are using the New 3DS's included MicroSD card AND if this is your first 3DS.
1. Just start playing already!

If you do not have (or do not plan to have) your original 3ds to transfer from but want to keep access to your downloaded games on your new system:

1. Make ABSOLUTELY SURE you have a record of your original system's serial number (the one below the bar code on the sticker on the back of the system).
2. Call Nintendo's customer service number for your region (which can be found through their website).
3. They'll be able to transfer over your game licenses if you have the serial numbers for both your old and new systems and the old system has been formatted. You will not be able to keep any save data this way, however.

Is there a good way to test if your microSD card (in a SD adapter) is working fine on your old 3DS? Some sort of diagnostic app in the 3DS or anything?

I've copied everything over from my old 32GB SD card to my new 32GB microSD card (on my wifes laptop) and am using the new microSD card on my old zelda 3DS XL, but would feel better about running some sort of 2 hour burn test or something on it to verify the card is all ok.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Thanks for the guide.

So basically if I get the new 3DS and still have my old one, and am not changing SD cards at all I just do the transfer utility on the new 3ds? Also I have to make sure not to attach the NNID to it before transferring?

Interesting.

ohlawd

I've copied everything over from my old 32GB SD card to my new 32GB microSD card (on my wifes laptop) and am using the new microSD card on my old zelda 3DS XL, but would feel better about running some sort of 2 hour burn test or something on it to verify the card is all ok.

if your microSD is working on your Zelda 3DS XL, I don't see why that same card wouldn't work on the new one.

Thanks for the guide.

So basically if I get the new 3DS and still have my old one, and am not changing SD cards at all I just do the transfer utility on the new 3ds? Also I have to make sure not to attach the NNID to it before transferring?

Interesting.
guess so. it does say you have to redownload everything but you should keep your save data

I can't make threads so here it is...

ZeldaGaf and VitaGaf,

Should I trade my 3G OG Vita and original A Link Between Worlds 3DS XL towards The Majora's Mask 3DS XL?

I haven't touched my Vita and I don't see Sony making any serious Triple A games for it at all. It feels like a wasteland where all indies go to die.

What say you guys? Trade or nay?

I can't make threads so here it is...

ZeldaGaf and VitaGaf,

Should I trade my 3G OG Vita and original A Link Between Worlds 3DS XL towards The Majora's Mask 3DS XL?

I haven't touched my Vita and I don't see Sony making any serious Triple A games for it at all. It feels like a wasteland where all indies go to die.

What say you guys? Trade or nay?
Nah. You can play major mask on your old 3DS man ...

ohlawd

it's unfortunate you can't make threads and start your own. then again, GAF would tell you to keep your Vita anyway and list a bunch of games not worth a shit

do what you want. don't be that guy who regrets selling their systems down the line tho.

btw I posted this on my Vita lol

it's unfortunate you can't make threads and start your own. then again, GAF would tell you to keep your Vita anyway and list a bunch of games not worth a shit

do what you want. don't be that guy who regrets selling their systems down the line tho.

btw I posted this on my Vita lol

I'm a Junior... Juniors can't post :p Regarding Vita - does it have COD? No. MKX? No. Indies for most part don't click. When you see Sony not announce any first party games for the Vita, that's a problem.

ohlawd

I'm a Junior... Juniors can't post :p Regarding Vita - does it have COD? No. MKX? No. Indies for most part don't click. When you see Sony not announce any first party games for the Vita, that's a problem.

it's customary of GAF posters to make a thread regarding their systems :p

should I sell my 3DS?
worth buying an Xbone?
just bought a PS4 what do I get?
bought my 6th Vita. NEVER AGAIN

we get a loooot of those. wasn't trying to make fun of you just because you can't make threads yet

hell yeah sell it then. again man you know best. not us. damn thing ain't getting shit? sell it

it's customary of GAF posters to make a thread regarding their systems :p

should I sell my 3DS?
worth buying an Xbone?
just bought a PS4 what do I get?
bought my 6th Vita. NEVER AGAIN

we get a loooot of those. wasn't trying to make fun of you just because you can't make threads yet

hell yeah sell it then. again man you know best. not us. damn thing ain't getting shit? sell it

Yeah to me it just feels like Sony doesnt understand the portable market.

Probably a long shot but does gamestop allow one to purchase the new 3DS, take it home and do transfer stuff with the old 3DS, and then take the old one to gamestop for full trade in credit?

Berordn

Probably a long shot but does gamestop allow one to purchase the new 3DS, take it home and do transfer stuff with the old 3DS, and then take the old one to gamestop for full trade in credit?

As long as it's the same day they'll usually be willing to ring it up again. Best to check first with the store you plan on doing it with, though.

Doombear

Oh come on, Vita hate in here too?! Keep your Vita if you want something in here, sell it if not. I love mine, it isn't going anywhere, anyway...

My understanding is that they haven't quite decided WHAT the plan is regarding this... and are meeting to discuss it? Hopefully by early/mid next week you can get a definitive answer when you call your local store

I have a problem. I want to get a New 3DS XL when it comes out and I already have a regular 3DS XL, which has 2 digital games plus some DLC for another game. The thing is, I want to give that 3DS with all of it's content to my brother, yet I want to keep my NNID, so my question is: Can I transfer my account to the new one yet keep the games and all the content on the old 3DS?

Oh come on, Vita hate in here too?! Keep your Vita if you want something in here, sell it if not. I love mine, it isn't going anywhere, anyway...

My understanding is that they haven't quite decided WHAT the plan is regarding this... and are meeting to discuss it? Hopefully by early/mid next week you can get a definitive answer when you call your local store

I don't hate the Vita - it's a great system... it's just that there's not any first party games that Sony wants to make me care about it.

Doombear

I have a problem. I want to get a New 3DS XL when it comes out and I already have a regular 3DS XL, which has 2 digital games plus some DLC for another game. The thing is, I want to give that 3DS with all of it's content to my brother, yet I want to keep my NNID, so my question is: Can I transfer my account to the new one yet keep the games and all the content on the old 3DS?

Not as I understand it, no. Digital content is entirely linked to the NNID. You cannot separate them.

You know, I was about to buy a new 3DS but all this transfer bullshit put me off.

Yeah, all these transfer methods are pain in the ass. It would be less so if Nintendo has a modern online infrastructure just like their competition does. I mean, after transfer I have to redownload MH4U game again to play? So stupid.

Velcro Fly

I transferred from an OG to an XL in December 2013 and it went smoothly but I don't even remember how I did it. Pretty sure I just found a post on GameFAQs and followed it and things worked.

As long as it's the same day they'll usually be willing to ring it up again. Best to check first with the store you plan on doing it with, though.

Yeah I'll call them up prior to going, but I'd really like to not spend potentially hours transferring in store. It doesn't help that I don't have a MicroSD card or the adapter either.

I actually called someone from my local store and it's basically what you said. You only have until the 15th though.

vid

Yeah, all these transfer methods are pain in the ass. It would be less so if Nintendo has a modern online infrastructure just like their competition does. I mean, after transfer I have to redownload MH4U game again to play? So stupid.

Man, after years of hassle, I rag on the NNID account system as much as anyone, but I'm really curious to know...

What service have you experienced where you don't have to redownload your game after switching systems? Unless you're talking about moving the storage medium over, which you could do with the 3DS anyway?

kubus

OK so I made a "branching questionnaire" in Google Forms (I really don't know how to describe it otherwise) that can help people with finding out what they need to do for the system transfer.

It asks questions like "What kind of 3DS do you have", "which N3DS are you buying", "What SD/MicroSD card are you using" and so forth, and based on your answers it will give a result at the end with instructions on what to do in your situation.

(This is all for the New Nintendo 3DS launch OT that I'm preparing)

I'm looking for people who want to test it. Preferably people who are familiar with the transfer process and are able to find errors if I made any. It's quite a complex thing (there are about 17 different results) and before I launch it publicly, I want to make sure that I didn't make any big mistakes that could cause people to lose their data :p. Or maybe I forgot to include specific scenarios that I still have to add.

If you're interested in testing it, shoot me a PM and I'll send you the link!

melman101

I'd look into it, I swear something I read recently said that some (all?) ambassador games are no longer on the eShop? Not being one myself, I can't confirm.

Remember, if you choose 'No' indicating that you are not using an SD or Mini SD but rather a micro SD in your current 3DS, you will never even get asked how you want to transfer. You will just do the system transfer (profile, FC list, settings, etc.) and then you will be prompted to finalize the transfer and power the consoles down and swap the micro from old to new 3DS.

I've decided I'm gonna keep my old 3DS anyhow. So I'll have time at home to transfer to PC etc :).

I'll figure this out someway. It's so confusing.

What service have you experienced where you don't have to redownload your game after switching systems? Unless you're talking about moving the storage medium over, which you could do with the 3DS anyway?

On other services you dont have to redownload the pre-installed game when you move over from the old system. If I buy a new Vita and already has new games installed in it, I can just download the old games from my previous Vita straight from PSN instead of doing stupid transfer.

MarkusRJR

So for transfers should I just transfer everything to my MicroSD and use an adapter until the 13th, or is there not an option on the menu for that during the transfer?

kubus

So for transfers should I just transfer everything to my MicroSD and use an adapter until the 13th, or is there not an option on the menu for that during the transfer?

That's what I'm doing, but I'm finding myself confused.
Yep, that's the best and easiest way to do it.

When you do the transfer, you will be asked if you're using a SD card or MiniSD card in your source system. Say "no" (because you're using a MicroSD with adapter) and you'll be instructed to just swap out the MicroSD cards. Easy :).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The fact that this shit is so complicated is reasons why despite some changes that Nintendo is still stuck in the stonage with regards to accounts, licenses, and system transfers.

MarkusRJR

Yep, that's the best and easiest way to do it.

When you do the transfer, you will be asked if you're using a SD card or MiniSD card in your source system. Say "no" (because you're using a MicroSD with adapter) and you'll be instructed to just swap out the MicroSD cards. Easy :).
Thanks! Guess I'll hop on my computer and transfer the data over. How should I format my MicroSD card? FAT32? :S

Magwik

Banned
So what's the process on copying stuff over? Do I just drag and drop everything from my SD card to my Micro SD card?

coopolon

So it's impossible to trade in old 3ds for new 3ds and use the $100 credit to bring down the price of the new 3ds? Instead I have to buy a new 3ds for full price, take it home and transfer, then go back and beg and plead the gamestop store clerks to give me $100 in store credit?

So I'm not really getting $100 off the new 3ds, I'm getting a new 3ds full price and $100 gamestop credit, maybe, if the clerks are in a good mood.

Magwik

Banned
So it's impossible to trade in old 3ds for new 3ds and use the $100 credit to bring down the price of the new 3ds? Instead I have to buy a new 3ds for full price, take it home and transfer, then go back and beg and plead the gamestop store clerks to give me $100 in store credit?

If the store has WiFi you should be able to do the transfer in store

My GameStop let's you transfer in store.

kubus

So what's the process on copying stuff over? Do I just drag and drop everything from my SD card to my Micro SD card?
Yep, copy everything over from your SD card to a folder on your pc.
Then copy that from your pc to your MicroSD card.
Done.

Berordn

So I'm not really getting $100 off the new 3ds, I'm getting a new 3ds full price and $100 gamestop credit, maybe, if the clerks are in a good mood.

I've been told by a manager (before they apparently started meeting to discuss the current protocol) that as long as it's the same day and you pay by card, they'll ring it up as a exchange when you return, so you do end up getting the 100 dollar credit toward the system. Jury's still out on whether they'll let you do it for the new 3DS XL but that's how it's apparently been done in the past.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Alright, after reading that guide we should be good to go here. Both I and my SO already have 32gig microSD cards in our old 3DS XLs, via SD card adapters.

Our local Gamestop employees didn't even know about system transfers to preserve licenses. They actually would have told people to just trade in their original 3DS and redownload their games on the New 3DS. We strongly clarified for them that this would screw over customers, and they apparently got the message.

They will at least now allow people to perform a system transfer in store using the wifi hotspot they've already got set up for their own use.

If you really want $100 to go into you new 3ds, there is still a way. First buy the N3ds full price, go home and do transferring. Then go to store again and trade your old 3DS for another N3DS, come home and transfer everything from the first N3DS to the new one. Return the first N3DS for a full refund.

This is confusing.

I want to trade in my 3DS XL and get a New 3DS XL.

I have some full games (like DKCR) and some Smaller titles (like Crimson Shroud)

What is the easiest way to transfer it all? I already picked up a 32gb micro for the new 3DS and am only using a 4gb SD on my current XL. However I have items I've purchased that I can't put on the current SD because it's too small

Top Bottom