• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the New 3DS XL announced for the US, let's talk transfers

B-Ri

So i need some help.

Im about to get the Majoras Mask 3DS from a friend, and I already own the N3DS ... and a digital copy of Majoras mask.

My hope is that I can move all my games to the Majoras Mask 3DS, then give my sister my N3DS, but I want her to have the copy of Majoras Mask that comes with the MM3DS?

Is this even possible or is this a nightmare sized transfer problem?

Mercutio

So i need some help.

Im about to get the Majoras Mask 3DS from a friend, and I already own the N3DS ... and a digital copy of Majoras mask.

My hope is that I can move all my games to the Majoras Mask 3DS, then give my sister my N3DS, but I want her to have the copy of Majoras Mask that comes with the MM3DS?

Is this even possible or is this a nightmare sized transfer problem?

Are you in the USA? The USA version didn't come with MM Digtially. If you're in the UK, I'm not totally sure how it works.

Ok question...

I have a New 3DS XL with my Nintendo ID on it. Same with my Wii U. Bought a few VC games on the 3DS eShop, nothing major yet. I want to aquire Tetris from the VC but it has been delisted. If I find a used 3DS with Tetris still loaded on it, but I don't have the old password or anything for the previous owner's Nintendo ID, can I somehow moved that game to my system? Do they stack? Or can I move the game, then create a new ID, then rebuy my other games?

Ok question...

I have a New 3DS XL with my Nintendo ID on it. Same with my Wii U. Bought a few VC games on the 3DS eShop, nothing major yet. I want to aquire Tetris from the VC but it has been delisted. If I find a used 3DS with Tetris still loaded on it, but I don't have the old password or anything for the previous owner's Nintendo ID, can I somehow moved that game to my system? Do they stack? Or can I move the game, then create a new ID, then rebuy my other games?

Account licenses can't stack or anything. If you did that then you would overwrite the account already on the n3DS and with it the licenses associated with that account.

Ok question...

In this case you would need to find a used system with that game and without an NNID attached to it (as system transfer won't work if an NNID is signed into the target system and well at that point the games are attached to the NNID rather than the console). That would be pretty rare. While NNID is optional on 3DS it is required to get free apps and demos (essentially you are looking at someone who bought the Tetris GB VC game and left the 3DS in a cuboid for a few years or just doesn't care about demos/feebies).

If you transfer to a target system without an NNID you assimilate all its owned content into your NNID. This is primarily designed for hardware bundles.

Also one last thing. How system transfer works. Once you go New 3DS you can't transfer to old 3DS so your hypothetical example would require buying a second New 3DS XL to transfer to and then waiting 7 days and maybe another 7 days if you want to use it on your original New 3DS XL.

You can deduce most of that from the system settings manual (seriously, manuals are great sources of info).
Yeah Tetris DS it is

Koren

That would be pretty rare. While NNID is optional on 3DS it is required to get free apps and demos
That's actually the main reason I can't get free apps :/

I'm really reluctant to add my NNID on one of my 3DS. Can't decide which one... I hate how Nintendo decided you could only have one, especially when they're doing revisions. I won't do a system transfer, I prefer using all of them :/

Hello.

My North American regular-sized n3DS is on its way in the post. My main 3DS is currently my OG launch blue 3DS. I want to prep for transfer, and want to do the quickest way possible. I'm currently copying the contents of my SD card with all of my digital games to my computer. I'll then copy those contents onto a Micro SD card and plan to use it in my OG 3DS via as normal-sized until my n3DS arrives. When I do a transfer, if I choose to do a quick one (just licenses), I should then just be able to pop in this Micro SD card and all my content should work, right?

Sounds straight-forward enough, but there's been so much confusion over this stuff that I want to make sure I do it right without losing anything.

Thanks.

Yep. Exactly what I did, was very easy. Just follow (and actually read!) the directions, you'll be fine.
Just did the transfer this evening. My word, what a long and arduous process. You know what would've been nice? The option to disassociate my NNID from the OG 3DS, therefore removing all licenses, and then logging in on my n3DS, letting me download the licenses and then just bring the SD card over. But no, that's far too simple.

Top Bottom