• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the New 3DS XL announced for the US, let's talk transfers

imjust1n

Banned
I'm having a issue with this whole transfering SD to micro cards I have a 2gb SD that has been transfered my ambassador games to the xl I have but I also have a 8gb card that has like 3 games from the eshop now how do I combined all those games and transfer them to my new Nintendo 3ds?

Huh....... Apologies if the question has been asked, but how do preinstalled games survive the transfer? Have a preinstalled copy of Animal Crossing that didn't make the transfer between old 3DS XL and New 3DS XL. Not in my eShop download queue either...

I'm having a issue with this whole transfering SD to micro cards I have a 2gb SD that has been transfered my ambassador games to the xl I have but I also have a 8gb card that has like 3 games from the eshop now how do I combined all those games and transfer them to my new Nintendo 3ds?
So you used multiple SD cards at the same time on the original 3ds? You don't do that. You were supposed to copy everything onto the larger SD card and just use the larger SD card.

So what you do now is just redownload those 3 games off the eShop and forget about your saves. You then have one system & SD card with the ambassador games and those 3 eShop games then you transfer as normal.

Huh....... Apologies if the question has been asked, but how do preinstalled games survive the transfer? Have a preinstalled copy of Animal Crossing that didn't make the transfer between old 3DS XL and New 3DS XL. Not in my eShop download queue either...
Should have just transfered over. something to contact customer support about? In any case you can probably call curtains on the save which tends to kill any incentive to actually play Animal Crossing.

coopolon

How reliable is calling up Nintendo and asking them to transfer? Have people had them decline in the past? I know if I don't transfer I'd lose my saves and what not, but I do want to be able to get my digital games again.

The problem is I want to sell my 3ds xl now, and eventually I'll get a new 3ds xl but not right away.

imjust1n

Banned
So you used multiple SD cards at the same time on the original 3ds? You don't do that. You were supposed to copy everything onto the larger SD card and just use the larger SD card.

So what you do now is just redownload those 3 games off the eShop and forget about your saves. You then have one system & SD card with the ambassador games and those 3 eShop games then you transfer as normal.

So this is what happened I got the first 3ds the day it came out so it comes with 2gb card and got all the ambassador games then I bought the limited edition a link between worlds 3ds xl with a 4gb card then upgraded the card to a 8gb card. Then I sold the first 3ds transfered all the ambassador games to the Zelda 3dsxl so now the 2gb card and 8gb card work with the Zelda 3dsxl and this 3dsxl had the nnid on it but I formated the 3dsxl so no I have the new Nintendo 3ds xl and I have a bigger micro card and want to put all the games on one card with nnid on the new Nintendo 3dsxl lol its a pain I don't care about save files.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Do, if I do the transfer process, MH4U is deleted but I can download it afterwards from the 3DS EShop. Is that correct!?

So I have had a nightmare scenario with my system transfer. If anybody has any advice, I'd really appreciate it.

I have a 32gig SD card in my original 3DS, and I just purchased a 32gig microSD card for my New 3DS. I plugged it in and started a full transfer. It looked like it was going to be a multi-hour affair (as expected), so I let it run for a while. I came back to see that a local wireless error occurred mid-transfer, and I was told to try the transfer again.

I did so, and I received the same error within just a few minutes this time. Nervously, I tried one more time...

...And this time it worked! But it only took a few minutes? Seeing as how I expected it to take hours, I was becoming suspicious. My fear increased when my New 3DS asked to transfer my DSi games from the SD to the system, but claimed no games could be found when I confirmed the transfer. It then said, if I wanted to continue without transferring (which I couldn't do), then it would delete my DSi games (which it just claimed were nonexistent).

On my home screen, I saw all of my games and their icons, but none of them would play, and the theme shop did not acknowledge any of my previous purchases. I went to the eShop, where I was informed I could repair my downloaded games. I started with Alpha Sapphire, but it immediately hung up and wouldn't download anything for an hour, at which point I powered down the New 3DS.

Now my home screen shows none of my games, and I can't connect to the eShop (Error Code 007-0200). I can't do anything.

I called customer service (twice), and I've been able to confirm my purchases/licenses have transferred successfully. However, they suggested my (newly purchased) microSD may be bad. I can either format the card and re-download my games, or send in my New 3DS for Nintendo's repair guys to see what could be wrong.

However, I'd rather not lose all of my save files, which I think would happen with both options. Any suggestions? Is it possible for me to copy save files to my desktop, format the microSD, redownload the games, then copy over my save files? If so, where can I find the save files?

Also, strangely enough, my original SD card seems to have a ton of data still on it, even though my 3DS said it was going to format it after the transfer. What's up with that? Is it possible some of it could be save data that could be salvaged?

EDIT: Crisis averted. Contrary to what I was told through customer service, only system memory was reformatted on the old system, not the SD card. And all of the data on the old SD card was compatible with the new microSD card and the New 3DS. I just copied it and everything seems to work now.

I should have transferred the SD card data via PC from the start. Much easier and quicker than dealing with a multi-hour wireless transfer that is prone to disconnects...

So just to be clear since I'm trading on my old 3DS XL: I can put my existing 32GB SD card into the new system, do a System Transfer that'll move my permissions over to the n3DS XL, trade the included 4GB SD card in with my old XL, and then re-download my games on the n3DS, right?

Will there be any issues here?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So just to be clear since I'm trading on my old 3DS XL: I can put my existing 32GB SD card into the new system, do a System Transfer that'll move my permissions over to the n3DS XL, trade the included 4GB SD card in with my old XL, and then re-download my games on the n3DS, right?

Will there be any issues here?

No, you need to do the transfer with both 3DSes present.

Shiv47

This isn't a New 3DS issue, but a transfer related one nonetheless. I bought a New 3DS and transferred my stuff from my previous 3DS XL to the new model, went fine. I now want to pass that old XL to my wife, who has been using an original small 3DS. That 3DS has my son's old Nintendo ID on it, but my wife doesn't give two shits about the ID system and is literally using the 3DS to play one game (Style Savvy Trendsetters) off a cart. Odds are she will never use it for another game, unless the next Style Savvy game is released here. Can I just swap the SD out of the original 3DS and stick it in my old 3DS XL without an issue? Or am I stuck waiting out the waiting period and doing a normal transfer afterward?

Owzers

Everything was working out with the transfer until the final phase. A menu popped up in the new system saying it wanted to transfer dsi content onto the system memory from the micro sd card and when i powered off the system that menu would come back on. So i powered off the system, inserted the micro sd card from the old system that just restarted, put it in and powered it back on. Now the new system is stuck on the connecting to the internet page when turning it on. Was i supposed to select Move first before powering it off and putting in the new card? The menu was confusing and now I'm stuck. Tips?

edit: Seems to be working now after turning it off and on and then putting it in sleep mode, finally came up.

RedToad64

All right, so if I have a 32GB Micro SD (with adapter) in my current 3DS should I have the back of the NEW 3DS already unscrewed before I start the transfer? I understand that you place the Micro SD card into the new system during the transfer, so do I have to turn it off when doing so? I have so many digital games that I would rather not lose them all before this process takes shape. I've searched but no one has asked, it seems. I'm just really paranoid.

Was I crazy for expecting that the normal and XL new 3DSs would use the same screws? The normal one has screws that are imperceptibly larger and I stripped the colour off my XL screws a tad.

Jeez Nintendo.

All right, so if I have a 32GB Micro SD (with adapter) in my current 3DS should I have the back of the NEW 3DS already unscrewed before I start the transfer? I understand that you place the Micro SD card into the new system during the transfer, so do I have to turn it off when doing so? I have so many digital games that I would rather not lose them all before this process takes shape. I've searched but no one has asked, it seems. I'm just really paranoid.

Nope! Just do the license transfer and afterwards you can pop the microSD into tour console whenever your heart desires. It's not part of the transfer process provided you've backed all your stuff up onto it.

One of these screws just won't come out. Using the exact same screw driver that opened the left screw and its stripping the right one. Fuck me dead. Already did the transfer and all I've got to do is put the memory card in. Called Nintendo and they said there's no way to fast track the transfer back so I can exchange this thing.

What a mess.

lutheran

I sold my 3DS XL so I could buy the new 3DS XL. Today I received the new console and called Nintendo with my old 3DS XL's serial number, my Nintendo Network ID and my email address. They said that under my Network ID there are none of the games showing that I know for a fact I bought. He said he will do the serial number transfer as maybe there was a glitch but he doesn't think I will be able to download any of the games I know I purchased. Has this happened to any of you before? If for some reason I bought those games with that 3DS XL but before attaching a Nintendo Network ID to the system will the eStore still recognise that I downloaded those games from that connected transferred serial number? Or is this all based on Nintendo Network ID alone. He says he sees my game purchases in my club nintendo account but cant tell if they were attached to my NNID or if they are even the digital versions or hard copies. I swear to god I can't win. The only 2 games I wanted were Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater and Super Mario Land 3D and it looks like I am going to have to re-buy them.

RobotVM

I sold my 3DS XL so I could buy the new 3DS XL. Today I received the new console and called Nintendo with my old 3DS XL's serial number, my Nintendo Network ID and my email address. They said that under my Network ID there are none of the games showing that I know for a fact I bought. He said he will do the serial number transfer as maybe there was a glitch but he doesn't think I will be able to download any of the games I know I purchased. Has this happened to any of you before? If for some reason I bought those games with that 3DS XL but before attaching a Nintendo Network ID to the system will the eStore still recognise that I downloaded those games from that connected transferred serial number? Or is this all based on Nintendo Network ID alone. He says he sees my game purchases in my club nintendo account but cant tell if they were attached to my NNID or if they are even the digital versions or hard copies. I swear to god I can't win. The only 2 games I wanted were Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater and Super Mario Land 3D and it looks like I am going to have to re-buy them.

This is scary. I had an issue like that but they gave me the games linked to my Club Nintendo account. The guy I dealt with could tell which games I had bought. He also asked which ones I had bought. Good luck.

lutheran

This is scary. I had an issue like that but they gave me the games linked to my Club Nintendo account. The guy I dealt with could tell which games I had bought. He also asked which ones I had bought. Good luck.

I was trying to get this guy to go with the logical conclusion that your guy came to but he wasn't going there. I mean my Club Nintendo account is loaded with multiple console purchases and games and I probably have had 4 different NNID's since they started that system because I am compulsive as all hell. A new game comes out I buy the 3DS play the game, download a few play them for a while then sell the system and pick up a Vita and do the same thing for a few months and then sell that when a few new good 3DS games come out etc etc etc. I am not going to cry over 50 bucks worth of games but it kinda sucks. I know for a fact that my last 3DS did have those games attached to that serial number but I am not entirely sure the NNID was in place before or after I bought those games. FML..

dpunk3

I bought A Link Between Worlds DS, and now I have a Majora's DS to replace it. I know the consensus between people is that this specific redeemed game can't be played on another console, but I own the game and its a system transfer of all content, will I be able to play this on my new system? If not, what should I do about it?

Am I crazy or did we whip ourselves into a frenzy for mostly no reason? I understand this process can be cumbersome and really shouldn't exist, but my launch NA 3DS to MM N3DSXL transfer took all of 15 minutes and was easy as pie. I was expecting sheer terror! I had over 200 games ("licenses") to transfer, hundreds of photos, well over 30 GBs of content. Of course I was using a microSD in my 3DS but still. Hooray for small miracles, I guess?

lutheran

I just tried to add my NNID to this new 3DS and it gave me an error saying the NNID i chose is still attached to a different 3DS. I did what the 3DS told me when erasing my info, I didn't delete the NNID just formatted the 3DS. Will the NNID work on my new 3DS when they do the transfer?

lutheran

I just tried to add my NNID to this new 3DS and it gave me an error saying the NNID i chose is still attached to a different 3DS. I did what the 3DS told me when erasing my info, I didn't delete the NNID just formatted the 3DS. Will the NNID work on my new 3DS when they do the transfer?

Wow I already got the email from Nintendo and I reformatted the new 3DS and followed the instructions to add my old NNID and it worked fine. Now I went to the store and linked my Nintendo Club account and then I held my breath and checked my redownloadable software and ........it was all there ready to re-download. Metal Gear Snake Eater, Shovel Knight, Super Mario 3D land....all of the games even though the tech who I called said he didn't see any of these games under my NNID they were all there. Nice happy ending for me for a change.

Edzi

So I've got a friend who has an old OG 3ds that he doesn't use anymore, and he suggested that I could do a system transfer to my new3ds to get some of his digital games. How exactly would that work? My new 3ds is already connected with my nintendo ID, and I've already downloaded a few games onto it, and I don't think my friend ever signed up for a Nintendo ID through his console. By doing a system transfer, would I risk losing any of my stuff? Or would it just safely copy over his games onto my system?

lutheran

So I've got a friend who has an old OG 3ds that he doesn't use anymore, and he suggested that I could do a system transfer to my new3ds to get some of his digital games. How exactly would that work? My new 3ds is already connected with my nintendo ID, and I've already downloaded a few games onto it, and I don't think my friend ever signed up for a Nintendo ID through his console. By doing a system transfer, would I risk losing any of my stuff? Or would it just safely copy over his games onto my system?

If he doesn't use it anymore just borrow it and play his games lol..i don't think you will be able to transfer games from a 3DS with no NNID to one that has an NNID but I am not positive.

The biggest problem is you can't transfer from a New 3DS to an OG 3DS (thats what the manual says :( ) so you would need a second N3DS and about 3 weeks of time due to the 7 day cooldown (transfer 1: OG 3DS>N3DS, transfer 2 your N3DS>N3DS, transfer 3 N3DS>your N3DS) for a hassle free transfer.

As for transferring OG 3DS to N3DS. It won't let you as the NNID is active on the target system (N3DS). Maybe it will work if you format, transfer then sign into the NNID afterward but you're going to lose all your saves doing it that way (losing saves I view as a big hassle and also I said maybe).

If they ever linked an NNID to the OG 3DS then there is no way to merge the libraries; isn't NNID great?

Ohnonono

If I don't have any downloaded software besides Pokemon Bank and a few patches and use wireless transfer will it still take forever or does it lower the time by a good bit? I think all I have is SSB4 patches, Pokemon patches, and whatever save data might be on the card.

Vargavinter

I've googled a bit but i dont really come up an answer to my question. I just got a New 3DS with Majoras Mask pre-installed and got a new larger micro-sd. If i want to transfer from my old 3DS to my New do I have to do the transfer to the original micro-sd that comes with the NEW 3DS so that the pre-installed game gets merged with my NNID? Or can i swap out to the larger micro-sd before transfering and still get the systems to merge Majoras Mask to my NNID?

Okay so I think I might have fucked up big time. I got a New 3DS and bought a 32GB microSD for it, and I wanted to transfer my stuff from my old 3DS' 2GB regular SD. I copied everything from the old SD beforehand on my PC before I began the transfer process, but when I did the transfer I did it (mistakenly) without the old SD in the old 3DS. Once I realized that I popped the micro SD into the PC and deleted the data in it, because I figure that I have to do another transfer again.

So I pop the regular SD back in the old 3DS and all my downloaded games are gone. I can't do a transfer for another seven days, but how fucked am I guys? Am I going to have to give customer service a call?
Honestly, this tedious process could be easily avoided with a proper account system.

Thoraxes

Okay so I think I might have fucked up big time. I got a New 3DS and bought a 32GB microSD for it, and I wanted to transfer my stuff from my old 3DS' 2GB regular SD. I copied everything from the old SD beforehand on my PC before I began the transfer process, but when I did the transfer I did it (mistakenly) without the old SD in the old 3DS. Once I realized that I popped the micro SD into the PC and deleted the data in it, because I figure that I have to do another transfer again.

So I pop the regular SD back in the old 3DS and all my downloaded games are gone. I can't do a transfer for another seven days, but how fucked am I guys? Am I going to have to give customer service a call?
Honestly, this tedious process could be easily avoided with a proper account system.

Shouldn't you just be able to access everything on the New 3DS only, because the games aren't associated with the account on your old 3DS now (assuming you finished the process)? I didn't transfer any data from my SD to my MicroSD and everything turned out fine. I just popped my microSD with copied data onto my New 3DS and I was up and running without any issues.

Shouldn't you just be able to access everything on the New 3DS only, because the games aren't associated with the account on your old 3DS now (assuming you finished the process)? I didn't transfer any data from my SD to my MicroSD and everything turned out fine. I just popped my microSD with copied data onto my New 3DS and I was up and running without any issues.

I think that everything turned out fine now. When I turned on the new one with the copied data there were empty spaces in the menu where my downloaded games should have been, it got me hella worried so I made my previous post. I just turned it on again to double check and the empty spaces are still there, but after going into Mii Plaza I found that all my progress on puzzles and stuff was saved and my NNID was transferred over. So I checked the eshop and it looks like I'm going to have to redownload all my games.

Thoraxes

I think that everything turned out fine now. When I turned on the new one with the copied data there were empty spaces in the menu where my downloaded games should have been, it got me hella worried so I made my previous post. I just turned it on again to double check and the empty spaces are still there, but after going into Mii Plaza I found that all my progress on puzzles and stuff was saved and my NNID was transferred over. So I checked the eshop and it looks like I'm going to have to redownload all my games.

Although redownloading sucks (though it's faster on the New 3DS), i'm glad to hear everything is okay!

Simple question:

I had my digital licenses linked to my new 3DS via customer support (my old system was not available for direct transfer).

I had backed my game digital saves on my pc prior to selling my old 3DS. Is there no way for me to use those game saves now? I moved them over to microSD and nothing shows (unless I copied them incorrectly in microSD card).

Thanks in advance.
When you go into Save Data Backup Management and click Restore, does it see your saves?

Im sure this has been asked before but can someone recommend a good mini SD w/adapter that I can buy on Amazon? I want to do a system transfer ASAP but I guess I can't do anything until I buy the card that the new 3DS uses.

Massa

Alright, so I think this is a good thread to ask. I just bought a used 2DS to last me a few months until I can pick up a n3DS XL for cheap in the US. Can I completely erase the eShop history on the device? I don't want anything from the previous owner to carry over, now or when I end up transferring it to the n3DS.

Alright, so I think this is a good thread to ask. I just bought a used 2DS to last me a few months until I can pick up a n3DS XL for cheap in the US. Can I completely erase the eShop history on the device? I don't want anything from the previous owner to carry over, now or when I end up transferring it to the n3DS.
The fact you've said "for cheap in the US" implies that the 2DS is not of US region so won't be able to do a system transfer.

You don't need to erase the eShop history. If they made purchases off the eShop without an NNID linked when you format the system these purchases will remain present. Which is a good thing (and mainly the reason why NNID is forced down peoples throats).

If they have an NNID linked just format the system top log out of it but be sure to enjoy purchases they actually made first.

Yeah but it days there is no backup data :(
I don't think you can do it selectively. The backups are stored on the SD card when created, you can't pull them off and put them wherever you want. They're tied to the system and to the card; to bring them to a new system you need to do a system transfer, and to bring them to a new card that's just a matter of copying all of the contents using a PC. Can't do it piecemeal. Not 100% on all of that, but I believe that's what Nintendo's support articles imply.

EDIT: Found this, may help? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997614-nintendo-3ds/69587810

Zane

I started this system transfer 6 hours ago and it's not even 75% done transferring SD card data. I am transferring a half-filled 32GB card's worth of data but still. Why is this taking so long.

I started this system transfer 6 hours ago and it's not even 75% done transferring SD card data. I am transferring a half-filled 32GB card's worth of data but still. Why is this taking so long.

Because you're wirelessly transferring 16 gb on old ass hardware. You might as well go to bed, because that shit will run all night.

I bought a New 3DS XL and a new microSD card, and I expect them in a few days. I just want to make sure I have the process right:

step 1 - use a computer to copy everything from my old SD card to the new microSD card
step 2 - use tiny screw driver to open new 3DS, take out the scrub microSD card, put new microSD card in, and also put the old SD card back into the old 3DSXL
step 3 - turn both 3DS's on and initiate the system transfer

That should go pretty fast since I'm just transfering the licenses, and not all the content, is that correct?

I just did the PC transfer from my old 3DS to my new MM 3ds xl.

After that, the NNID is on my new console but there is no games/demos anything!!!

Did I just lost my Animal Crossing/MH3/Pokemon Shuffle data?!?! T_T

(Right now I'm redownloading everything from the eshop :( )

EDIT: ok! I've just saved my stuff!!! Inside the microsd/Nintendo3ds/randomstuff/ were two folders. I just copied the content of the big one inside the other et voilà! :D:D:D:D

I use a micro sd with an adapter in my old XL. Im confused about the point at which you remove the micro sd and insert it into the new one. I read them saying you should not remove the micro sd card when the system is powered on elsewhere. Is it ok to remove it and put it in the new one when the transfer is complete (it says system will reboot to complte transfer)

I use a micro sd with an adapter in my old XL. Im confused about the point at which you remove the micro sd and insert it into the new one. I read them saying you should not remove the micro sd card when the system is powered on elsewhere. Is it ok to remove it and put it in the new one when the transfer is complete (it says system will reboot to complte transfer)
Do the license transfer, then power off both machines, then swap cards I think.

lutheran

Trying to get my nephews new 3DS set up, we called Nintendo on Monday to transfer his NNID over from his old 3DS to the New 3DS and so far they haven't done it yet 2 days later. When I did this with my own 3DS, as you can see a few posts above, it took them a few hours to do the transfer. Wonder why it is taking so long now?

Top Bottom