• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the New 3DS XL announced for the US, let's talk transfers

how the hell do you know if transferring is working? I'm on 5/5 (eshop) and all that is happening is a bunch of white Pikmans running from right screen to left side of screen.

newarrior

Got it. That's exactly how it worked. I'm just kind of scared to proceed in some of the steps because of how many ways there are to mess up lol. Thanks!

I got the same error, and kept going. I got everything transferred fine, except for Four Swords. Is it gone? Don't see a way to get it on the eShop...

NolbertoS

Good thread. I used Nintendo's step by step instruction on upgrading from a 4GB SD to a 128GB micro SD and worked flawlessly with my transfers. If anybody else is lost, Nintendo has a good FAQ too.

Vibranium

Banned
I got things done pretty easily, I just transferred my stuff into my micro sd with adapter, and then used it in the source system, and finally swapped into my New 3DS XL at the end.

I do hope that by the next consoles we don't have to go through this process again, and hopefully the sd card slot is easier to reach for a future portable. Hopefully someday we can just redownload stuff on new hardware instead of transfers.

MicH

That guide above doesn't answer this so

1) Idon't have my old 3ds.

2) I backed saves on PC

If I get Nintendo to transfer my licenses over, then link my NNID, then re-download games, can I then transfer the saves to micro SD card and access them?
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you need the original system and do the transfer for it to recognise the save data on the SD card. How come you have the SD card yet not the system?
What happens when Nintendo links your old NNID to your new system is not the same as a system transfer. You'll be able to redownload all your games, but I think your saves are lost. Ask Nintendo when you call them to be sure - I've never done this

All I want swapped to my new system is the MH4 demo.

Any easy way to do this?
You will have to do a system transfer with the old system

Thoraxes

YO! Appreciate this. Got my MMn3DSXL setup no prob. Now am I eligible to trade my old one back into Gamestop? I did the web in store purchase....thought I read that we could still somehow partake of the savings...

I'm not sure how that deal works. Presumably that's how it is supposed to go though, I think. Probably have to bring receipts.

That guide above doesn't answer this so

1) Idon't have my old 3ds.

2) I backed saves on PC

If I get Nintendo to transfer my licenses over, then link my NNID, then re-download games, can I then transfer the saves to micro SD card and access them?

I've never tried it so i'm not sure. The way it works, from what I understand, is that the system key/account is basically just a thing that decrypts the data if you're allowed to play it.

So when the new NNID is on the new system and Nintendo has completed the process, and your licenses are associated with your new system, you should just be able to plug in your SD card and the system should recognize the data... from what I understand.

ktroopa

ok simple question, I have a new 3DSXL with new 32GB microsd card inside. I want to move just the license and saves from my other 3DS which has a 2GB sd card. from what ive read i need to choose 'yes' i have a minisd card and then wireless limited transfer. is that correct? I want to avoid the hassle of reopening the XL so during the system transfer can i just power off the systems when asked and then just restart, with no need to use screwdrivers again?

Tanis

I think I may have made a mistake during the transfer. On my source 3DS I answered "No" to the question "Are you using an sd card or mini sd card with your system".

I'm guessing I lost my saves on my digital version of Ace Attorney 5? I can't see them in data management on my new 3ds.

Thoraxes

ok simple question, I have a new 3DSXL with new 32GB microsd card inside. I want to move just the license and saves from my other 3DS which has a 2GB sd card. from what ive read i need to choose 'yes' i have a minisd card and then wireless limited transfer. is that correct? I want to avoid the hassle of reopening the XL so during the system transfer can i just power off the systems when asked and then just restart, with no need to use screwdrivers again?

Edit: oh I read it wrong.

Yeah just transfer it.

kubus

I think I may have made a mistake during the transfer. On my source 3DS I answered "No" to the question "Are you using an sd card or mini sd card with your system".

I'm guessing I lost my saves on my digital version of Ace Attorney 5? I can't see them in data management on my new 3ds.
So... Did you have a SD/miniSD or microSD?

If you had a SD or miniSD I think you can fix this by copying the contents of the card to your computer, then copying that to the microSD in your New 3DS.

If you had a microSD then just pop it out of your old 3DS and into the New 3DS.

Yes, my NNID is registered on my 3DS that I lent away. I'm not sure what you mean by a digital version, I have a physical version of MH4, does that make a difference?

Is there anyway for me to play now without losing data later? Or am I stuck until I can transfer?
A huge difference. The physical version should just save to the cartridge (as so works on any system). At least that is how it works for 99% of the games (Fantasy Life is an exception I know of). Ask in the MH4 OT as I don't do MH.

Tanis

So... Did you have a SD/miniSD or microSD?

If you had a SD or miniSD I think you can fix this by copying the contents of the card to your computer, then copying that to the microSD in your New 3DS.

If you had a microSD then just pop it out of your old 3DS and into the New 3DS.

I've never changed the card that came with the XL so it should be a 4GB SD. I wasn't super worried because I don't have a game in progress, it's only a finished save. It's nice to know I've got that method to try if I want to get it back.

Tyeforce

Has anyone here done the limited data wireless system transfer option? If so, has anyone had any issues restoring your save data after redownloading your games? How exactly does that work? Will absolutely 100% of all save data be restored after redownloading everything?

Hey will this MicroSD card I just bought work with my New 3DS XL?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk...86.p?id=1219047586662&skuid=1300086&sellerId=

Also what important should I know about how to do this transfer from my old XL to my New New XL? Don't want to lose all my saves or anything like the guy who lost all his pokemans from the other topic.

Yes, if it comes with an adaptor do move all of your stuff on your old SD card to it via pc before doing the transfer and put it in your old 3DS.

That way when you do the transfer it will just ask you if you have a micro SD in your old DS and have you swap it

Hugstable

Banned
Yes, if it comes with an adaptor do move all of your stuff on your old SD card to it via pc before doing the transfer and put it in your old 3DS.

That way when you do the transfer it will just ask you if you have a micro SD in your old DS and have you swap it

So I should move every file from my old SD card to my new MicroSD before I even start the transfer process between the 2? Also should I put the new MicroSD inside my New 3DS before I start the transfer, or is that one of the steps during the transfer?

So I should move every file from my old SD card to my new MicroSD before I even start the transfer process between the 2? Also should I put the new MicroSD inside my New 3DS before I start the transfer, or is that one of the steps during the transfer?
If it comes with an adapter: Yes to the first part then put it in your old DS because during the transfer it will ask "are you using a SD or MiniSD" and you answer no, then it will tell you to put the microSD in the new 3ds after the transfer.

If no adapter put it in your New 3DS before transfering and do a full transfer though that takes a while

Hugstable

Banned
If it comes with an adapter: Yes to the first part then put it in your old DS because during the transfer it will ask "are you using a SD or MiniSD" and you answer no, then it will tell you to put the microSD in the new 3ds after the transfer.

If no adapter put it in your New 3DS before transfering and do a full transfer though that takes a while

Sweet thanks for the info and help!

One last question, I see in my 3DS settings that I can backup my save files in the data management section of the options, do I need to backup everything like this manually or is this something else entirely that I don't need to do?

Sweet thanks for the info and help!

One last question, I see in my 3DS settings that I can backup my save files in the data management section of the options, do I need to backup everything like this manually or is this something else entirely that I don't need to do?

You shouldn't have to do it in either scenerio. I know I didn't have to for the SD card swap method and if you do a Full transfer it should be a FULL transfer

Hugstable

Banned
You shouldn't have to do it in either scenerio. I know I didn't have to for the SD card swap method and if you do a Full transfer it should be a FULL transfer

Alrighty thanks again, I got an adaptor with my MircoSD card, so I connected my old SD card right now to my PC and transferring all the folders in there to the PC, then I'll stick my Micro SD in and transfer everything over to that. Then it's transfer time!

Guys a quick question. Right now I'm finally in the process of transferring all my data to my new 3DS. While searching for my micro SD card adapter I realized that I had a 8GB micro sd card inside from my old galaxy 3. I'm in the process of reformatting it.

The category seems to be 4 as well, will the reading speed be the same as the SD card that comes with the new 3DS?

I was not planning to upgrade my SD card because I barely buy digital, but 4 GB of extra space seems nice, since I have Pokemon X digital and all my ambassador games.

Alrighty thanks again, I got an adaptor with my MircoSD card, so I connected my old SD card right now to my PC and transferring all the folders in there to the PC, then I'll stick my Micro SD in and transfer everything over to that. Then it's transfer time!

Just remember put the micro in the old DS Because the system transfer erases everything on the N3DS beforehand. It will tell you when to put the micro from the old 3ds to the new one

Hugstable

Banned
Just remember put the micro in the old DS Because the system transfer erases everything on the N3DS beforehand. It will tell you when to put the micro from the old 3ds to the new one

Now I'm confused, after I transfer all my files to the microsd using my PC, I put the Micro SD card in the adaptor into my old 3DS first when starting the transfer? Is it gonna have me switch over the SD card during the transfer process? Never really transferred before so I'm not sure what all I need to do :-/

Now I'm confused, after I transfer all my files to the microsd using my PC, I put the Micro SD card in the adaptor into my old 3DS first when starting the transfer? Is it gonna have me switch over the SD card during the transfer process? Never really transferred before so I'm not sure what all I need to do :-/

That's exactly it. When you start the transfer something along the lines of "are you using an SD or MiniSD card?" You hit no and then it will say something along the lines of "we'll tell you to switch microSD cards at the end of the transfer process" and it's all pretty simple from there

ngower

Has anyone noticed a sort of looseness to their system after they change over the SD card and all that jazz? Like, I don't know if it's supposed to be that way, but it feels like I can sorta push the casing in a little while playing. I don't wanna risk stripping the screws by REALLY tightening them, but it seems like it's pretty snug on there anyways. Just seems weird to have such a flimsy-feeling part in an age of machine-crafted, tight electronics.

Has anyone noticed a sort of looseness to their system after they change over the SD card and all that jazz? Like, I don't know if it's supposed to be that way, but it feels like I can sorta push the casing in a little while playing. I don't wanna risk stripping the screws by REALLY tightening them, but it seems like it's pretty snug on there anyways. Just seems weird to have such a flimsy-feeling part in an age of machine-crafted, tight electronics.

I suggest taking it off and re-aligning the grooves.

boon

I had the same issue. I hadn't aligned the little teeth on the bottom of the back cover with the system.

ngower

I suggest taking it off and re-aligning the grooves.

I had the same issue. I hadn't aligned the little teeth on the bottom of the back cover with the system.

Can you give a video/pic of what you're talking about specifically with grooves? Everything seems pretty snug except for the center point of the bottom casing and the middle of the top area (think right in the middle of the two screws). I did manage to get about a quarter turn tighter on each screw, which has alleviated the problem a little, but it still feels slightly squishy.

jorgejjvr

Question. I have no downloaded games on my 3ds xl, just some demos and save data. So if I use the wireless transfer it should be relatively fast right? I've heard it's slow with like lots of downloaded Eshop games but I have none

Vent time, this transfer process is so frustrating.

So before the n3DS came out I called Nintendo up and asked if there would be any problem trading mine in beforehand then calling them for the transfer. Customer Service assured me it was ok.

So now I'm trying to do it. Called yesterday, but they close at 6pm so I couldn't get ahold of anyone. Recording said to submit my request online so I did. In my ticket I said "need to transfer 3ds, don't have original unit, here's old serial, here's new serial, here's NNID."

A while later I receive an email that looks automated. "Have you tried checking the faq for awnsers? Respond to this email if you still need help." So I responded via email.

I'm eager to play Monster Hunter with the rest of my friends so I call Nintendo today. Their automated phone system kept throwing me in a loop. Press 3 for transfers, then it just kept telling me submit online.fin ally after 7 tries the same options get me a live person. She takes all my info and says it should be all set....

....in 5 to 7 business days.

This has taken so much steam out of my launch excitement for Monster Hunter and my new 3ds. It's so ridiculous that I have to jump through such hoops to use my account.

So before the n3DS came out I called Nintendo up and asked if there would be any problem trading mine in beforehand then calling them for the transfer. Customer Service assured me it was ok.

So now I'm trying to do it. Called yesterday, but they close at 6pm so I couldn't get ahold of anyone. Recording said to submit my request online so I did. In my ticket I said "need to transfer 3ds, don't have original unit, here's old serial, here's new serial, here's NNID."

A while later I receive an email that looks automated. "Have you tried checking the faq for awnsers? Respond to this email if you still need help." So I responded via email.

I'm eager to play Monster Hunter with the rest of my friends so I call Nintendo today. Their automated phone system kept throwing me in a loop. Press 3 for transfers, then it just kept telling me submit online.fin ally after 7 tries the same options get me a live person. She takes all my info and says it should be all set....

This has taken so much steam out of my launch excitement for Monster Hunter and my new 3ds. It's so ridiculous that I have to jump through such hoops to use my account.
NoA/E? Good luck, my friend.

MicH

Even when they do get back to you you're going to have to wait up to 48 hours until the NNID gets moved. Shouldn't have traded that 3DS in just yet

My transfer errored out on the new 3DS saying:

"A local wireless error has occurred, cancelling the transfer"

Then it told me not to turn it off and restarted and now it's stuck on "Connecting to the Internet, Please Wait..."

The old 3DS is still stuck on "Transferring data for Nintendo eShop"

EDIT:

Ok now the old 3DS said that it had no response from the target system and was cancelling the transfer, I chose "OK" (it was the only option) and it restarted. Now the old 3DS is blank and gives me the language select screen.

The new 3DS is stuck trying to move DSiWare from the SD card to the system. There is no DSiWare on the SD card because I haven't swapped the card from my old one yet. It says to turn the system off before swapping the SD card... but if I turn the system off the transfer will be cancelled?

EDIT 2:

I was able to back out of moving the DSiWare and it said they will just be deleted. It said the transfer was done and restarted the system. Copying over the data from the old SD card to a microSD card now.

EDIT 3:

Looks like it's okay, the new 3DS appears to have everything transferred over okay, NNID and all the download games, I can go to the eShop and my balance is there and everything appears to be fine. My DSiWare games are not there, but I can redownload them from the eShop. I assume I lost my saves though.

Woffls

Heh, I spent ages looking for this thread with the search function yesterday and I just stumbled upon it Googling an answer to the following question:

If I do a low capacity transfer from my OG 3DS which has the Ambassador games on it, do those games get transferred over? The guide says that "downloaded games" will not be transferred, but not all of the Ambassador games are on the eShop.

Should I use another method? This is confusing. I just have an OG 3DS with a 2GB card, and a Majora's Mask XL with the standard 4GB card.

[edit] I'm only considering the low capacity transfer because that's what Nintendo's guide told me to use.

Berordn

Heh, I spent ages looking for this thread with the search function yesterday and I just stumbled upon it Googling an answer to the following question:

If I do a low capacity transfer from my OG 3DS which has the Ambassador games on it, do those games get transferred over? The guide says that "downloaded games" will not be transferred, but not all of the Ambassador games are on the eShop.

Should I use another method? This is confusing. I just have an OG 3DS with a 2GB card, and a Majora's Mask XL with the standard 4GB card.

The ambassador games will have the licenses transferred over so you should be able to download them again from the download list. They're on the shop, just unlisted.

However since the card you're using on the new XL is bigger than the card on your OG 3DS, you don't need to do a low capacity transfer. That's only intended for when the new 3DS will have a smaller card than your current 3DS.

I planned as well as I could with this transfer but even still there were a couple issues. I did lose Four Swords in the transfer, but I was able to get it back by going to redownload it from the eShop so it wasn't that big of a deal. The first time the transfer failed because the original 3DS lost internet connection during the final step of transferring eShop licenses, and had to start all over again.

And I'm certainly glad I got a whole screwdriver kit instead of a single 00 or 0, because both ended up being not big enough for the screws and I had to go with a 1.

lt519

That was really easy, not sure what all the hubbub is about. Initiate transfer, copy SD cards, finish transfer, done. Like 15 minutes.

Woffls

The ambassador games will have the licenses transferred over so you should be able to download them again from the download list. They're on the shop, just unlisted.

However since the card you're using on the new XL is bigger than the card on your OG 3DS, you don't need to do a low capacity transfer. That's only intended for when the new 3DS will have a smaller card than your current 3DS.
Thought so. Maybe I made a wrong selection somewhere. I've bailed on low capacity and I'm just going for the full wireless transfer. 2GB of data shouldn't take long. I didn't think to check if I could download again from my download list - I remember it being the case that some of these games are not available on the eShop to download unless attained through Ambassador-ness.

Thanks very much for the reply.

[edit]
Transfer went fine. Very important to just pay attention to all the prompts and understand what's going on. Only bit that was ambiguous was where it asked if the system was using a Micro SD or a regular SD and I wasn't sure which system it was referring to. I managed to pick the correct one so presumably it was referring to the source system - also, having stated that I was transferring to a New 3DS, it was probably implied that it was asking about the source 3DS because the target 3DS can only use MicroSD. I dunno.

Next step: buy a 32GB MicroSD and get started on building an eShop collection. I think I might be done with 3DS cartridges.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Can you selectively transfer saves from one 3DS to another? Going to buy a New 3DSXL when I can find one, but I want to start playing MH4U on my wife's 3DSXL. She has some saves on her's that I don't want to transfer over.

MicH

Can you selectively transfer saves from one 3DS to another? Going to buy a New 3DSXL when I can find one, but I want to start playing MH4U on my wife's 3DSXL. She has some saves on her's that I don't want to transfer over.
I don't think so. Just delete them in data management after the transfer

Impala26

Quick Question (probably already covered):

What's the best/most efficient way of transferring data from an SD card to a new larger one (likely also a microSD) if you only have one 3DS?

I'm assuming a simple PC transfer method, but my concern is would this not actually transfer the game licenses? I mean, folks are pulling their hair out with these transfers and things after all. I'm certain folks did this quite a while ago just to upgrade storage space, but seeing as I'm nearly exclusively physical with games, this issue hasn't come up until recently.

MicH

Quick Question (probably already covered):

What's the best/most efficient way of transferring data from an SD card to a new larger one (likely also a microSD) if you only have one 3DS?

I'm assuming a simple PC transfer method, but my concern is would this not actually transfer the game licenses? I mean, folks are pulling their hair out with these transfers and things after all. I'm certain folks did this quite a while ago just to upgrade storage space, but seeing as I'm nearly exclusively physical with games, this issue hasn't come up until recently.
Im not sure I understand what you're trying to do. Are you just wanting to upgrade your memory card or have you bought a new 3DS that you want to transfer your stuff to?

Top Bottom