• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the New 3DS XL announced for the US, let's talk transfers

MicH

I'm sure its been asked and answered many times before but I'll ask in hope that someone will be kind enough to answer.

My N3DSXL is coming in on Monday. I currently have a 3DSXL with the stock 4GB SD card. I've purchased a 16GB MicroSD in preperation for the N3DSXL. Can I, or should I copy the contents from my current 3DSXL SD card to the new MicroSD card and use the MicroSD (with adapter) in my current 3DSXL? If so, what are those steps? I dont want to lose any data and hopefully speed up the process when I do a transfer to the N3DSXL
Definitely do that. It means you can just that tgat 16gb micro SD card and put it in the new3DS after the transfer

Take out your SD card and copy the contents to your computer. You need a computer with an SD card reader. Once that's done put your new 16gb micro SD into your computer and copy those files to that card. When you're done put it into your current 3DS. When you finally get your new3DS initiate the system transfer. When it's done put the 16gb micro SD card into the new3DS

So I'm kind of hosed a bit here.

Tried to search the thread but didn't find questions that exactly match my own, maybe my search powers are bad. I dunno.

Anywho.

Ordered a 16 GB MicroSD from Amazon last week. Two-Day shipping is a crock of shit, and it is now a few days late. I have my n3DS though, and it's the Monster Hunter edition.

Having read the helpful google form thing and all that, I know the proceedure I *should* follow if I had the microsd card in hand.

Unfortunately, I'm sans microsd and would like to play this game. I can wait to do a transfer/merge until the card gets here in the mail.

However, if I fire up MH4 and play it online, I need to do the NNID thing. My understanding is if I do the merge after I register the n3DS with an NNID, I start losing licenses. Is this accurate? Is there a way to play MH4 while I wait, do a transfer later, and not lose anything, including any save progress I may make in MH4 in the meantime?

Or should I go out to a Best Buy and grab another card and return the one to Amazon when it decides to show up?

tl;dr: Can I start MH4 on my n3DS and play online, transfer/merge my old content at a later date if my MicroSD card isn't here yet? Or do I lose content, saves, or both if I merge afterward?

kubus

I'll just take this opportunity to let people know that:

- We have a New 3DS OT where the entire transfer process is explained in the OP, along with various links to guides that can help you, including...

- The Interactive System Transfer Guide

MicH

So I'm kind of hosed a bit here.

Tried to search the thread but didn't find questions that exactly match my own, maybe my search powers are bad. I dunno.

Anywho.

Ordered a 16 GB MicroSD from Amazon last week. Two-Day shipping is a crock of shit, and it is now a few days late. I have my n3DS though, and it's the Monster Hunter edition.

Having read the helpful google form thing and all that, I know the proceedure I *should* follow if I had the microsd card in hand.

Unfortunately, I'm sans microsd and would like to play this game. I can wait to do a transfer/merge until the card gets here in the mail.

However, if I fire up MH4 and play it online, I need to do the NNID thing. My understanding is if I do the merge after I register the n3DS with an NNID, I start losing licenses. Is this accurate? Is there a way to play MH4 while I wait, do a transfer later, and not lose anything, including any save progress I may make in MH4 in the meantime?

Or should I go out to a Best Buy and grab another card and return the one to Amazon when it decides to show up?

tl;dr: Can I start MH4 on my n3DS and play online, transfer/merge my old content at a later date if my MicroSD card isn't here yet? Or do I lose content, saves, or both if I merge afterward?
DO NOT link an NNID to the system! You will lose MH4U upon transfer. Either wait or do a limited transfer where you only transfer the licenses and save data (meaning you'll have to redownload all your digital games after the transfer)

Transfer done. I am glad I transferred my software from my SD card to my SD Card yesterday. Made the process a lot faster today.

DO NOT link an NNID to the system! You will lose MH4U upon transfer. Either wait or do a limited transfer where you only transfer the licenses and save data (meaning you'll have to redownload all your digital games after the transfer)

Apologies for a stupid question, but can you define "limited transfer"? I'm fine with redownloading crap overnight if I have to.

If I play single player at all and want to maintain that save data I'm basically forced to do the limited transfer?

This is some silly stuff. I guess I can just play SP and not care if the progress is wiped.

MicH

Apologies for a stupid question, but can you define "limited transfer"? I'm fine with redownloading crap overnight if I have to.

If I play single player at all and want to maintain that save data I'm basically forced to do the limited transfer?

This is some silly stuff. I guess I can just play SP and not care if the progress is wiped.
It will give you some options during the transfer. One of them is that limited saves-only option. I can't remember exactly what it says. Just don't link an NNID on your new 3DS. And yeah, your save data on MH4U will be wiped once you transfer any way you do it

Squishy3

Well... the screws on my MH4U N3DS XL seemingly don't want to unscrew. They just turn in place and don't actually make any attempt to unscrew. They're turning, they aren't in any danger of stripping, they just... aren't unscrewing.

THANKS NINTENDO

Struct09

Well... the screws on my MH4U N3DS XL seemingly don't want to unscrew. They just turn in place and don't actually make any attempt to unscrew. They're turning, they aren't in any danger of stripping, they just... aren't unscrewing.

THANKS NINTENDO

The screws aren't meant to come out. They unscrew a little bit and then you pry the back plate off. I had to watch a video of it, and even then it felt like I was going to break the thing when I finally got the back cover off.

Squishy3

The screws aren't meant to come out. They unscrew a little bit and then you pry the back plate off. I had to watch a video of it, and even then it felt like I was going to break the thing when I finally got the back cover off.
I got one side off but the other one still refuses to move at all. I was able to lift the plate up on that side and the screw hasn't budged a millimeter.

Finally managed to do it, jesus christ.

Need some assistance, I did the FULL system transfer of my old console to my new one(Everything went fine except some message about how streetpass mii will not transfer..now my old system has been reformatted but on my NEW system it rebooted after the transfer was done and it says

Yeah cause now my 3DS XL is fully reformatted..but I still see that message about the dsiware on my new system, so I should go ahead and press "move"

I just need to know what to do before I continue..I tried calling Nintendo but they are so darn busy they wont answer

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Well, I sold my old XL to GameStop last Nov, knowing I'd get a New XL when it released. Thought I navigated all the BS required to unlink my NID, but when setting up my new system, it says the ID is still linked to my old system. -_-

So, getting ready to call them. What should I say? Tell the truth? Tell them it's missing? At this point, I don't' care about lying, because I put it on them that their system is so bad for this. I just don't want to say something that triggers a "well, nothing we can do for you, buy all your stuff again" response from them.

Edit: nevermind; just called them and told them the truth. they were cool with everything and will have the transfer done in three days. So... back to Monster Hunter!

demigod

So I finished the system transfer and I thought I fucked up by transferring everything but luckily I got the option to redownload MH4, phew.

I lucked out. I didn't take advantage of the Gamestop deal, but luckily my friend was in the market for a 3DS so I'am going to sell it to him for the same price, I would've gotten for it in the deal. Saved him a bunch of money in the process as well.

Edit: Also quick question but what does the 1/6 mean at the bottom of my screen? Please don't tell me, it means I have to go through that whole Pikmin slideshow 5 more times...

LaneDS

During the transfer (which good lord has taken forever) I kept running into issues copying files onto my newly purchased 32GB microSD card. It's defective, as I have no issues copying onto the included 4GB card.

Question is this: should I fire up the system with the 4GB card, post transfer? Can I easily switch to larger storage in a few days when a replacement 32GB card arrives? Eager to start using this thing, but this has been quite a pain.

gogogow

During the transfer (which good lord has taken forever) I kept running into issues copying files onto my newly purchased 32GB microSD card. It's defective, as I have no issues copying onto the included 4GB card.

Question is this: should I fire up the system with the 4GB card, post transfer? Can I easily switch to larger storage in a few days when a replacement 32GB card arrives? Eager to start using this thing, but this has been quite a pain.

AFAIK you just copy all the content to the new microSD card, pop that in and you're done. But maybe someone else can confirm just to be sure.

Busaiku

Man, those impressions from people complaining about the back pane really have me worried.
Is it really that bad?

I've been using the 4 GB card for my 3DS for years now, but I did get lots of digital games from Club Nintendo, so I couldn't fit everything, thus leading to my purchase of the 32 GB.
But I don't want to break this stupid system...

What happened to Nintendo...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just checked out that google doc... I've read so many differing things on how to do this transfer.

According to that guide, I should transfer everything from my original SD card to my PC, then copy that exact data onto my new microSD card then stick the new microSD card into my original 3DS system.

Then, start my New 3DS and start a transfer with my old 3DS. This will not then try to transfer all my games over? That's where I'm confused... I'll have a 32 gig with 10 gigs of games on it trying to transfer onto the built-in New 3DS micro SD that is not big enough?

gogogow

Man, those impressions from people complaining about the back pane really have me worried.
Is it really that bad?

I've been using the 4 GB card for my 3DS for years now, but I did get lots of digital games from Club Nintendo, so I couldn't fit everything, thus leading to my purchase of the 32 GB.
But I don't want to break this stupid system...

What happened to Nintendo...

I had no issue or whatsoever at all when replacing the microSD. Just use a screwdriver that fits and don't use too much force. The screws aren't screwed in very tight in the first place. People stripping them must be using the wrong size screwdriver and using too much force at the same time. Use just enough force so the screwdriver don't slip from the screws. The screws also don't come off, so stop when they are loose. From the side gently pull up the "flaps", there's an indentation where you can pull the flap and lift it up one side at a time.

LaneDS

AFAIK you just copy all the content to the new microSD card, pop that in and you're done. But maybe someone else can confirm just to be sure.

Thanks, that'd be refreshing after messing around with the transfer (mostly annoying due to the microSD being faulty, not Nintendo's fault obviously).

Fired up with the 4GB and things look good.

The Lamp

I transferred my system from my old 3DS XL (4GB microSD card using SD card adatper) to my new 3DS XL straight out of the box.

It finished in like 15 minutes (wtf?) and now wants to move my files from microSD card to memory....but I thought it doesn't have anything on there? I thought I would have to move my microSD card from my old 3DS XL to my new one first.

How should I proceed?

can you link to the video i'm having the same issue

pain in the fucking ass

Weird question but is it possible to transfer data from a N3DS XL to a regular 3DS? My buddy got the MonHun SE but has the game physically and was willing to "transfer" the digital version to me. Doesn't seem like that can be done based on Nintendo's support article. If that's truly the case, once I receive my personal N3DS XL has anyone done a N3DSXL to N3DSXL system transfer? I figure after I transfer my 3DS to my N3DS XL I can just use his MonHun edition to pop the game to my Majora's Mask edition, no?

melman101

I transferred my system from my old 3DS XL (4GB microSD card using SD card adatper) to my new 3DS XL straight out of the box.

It finished in like 15 minutes (wtf?) and now wants to move my files from microSD card to memory....but I thought it doesn't have anything on there? I thought I would have to move my microSD card from my old 3DS XL to my new one first.

How should I proceed?

If you are at the same point I was at, if you click Move it's gonna tell you it can't find any DSIWare, and that you should power off and swap SD cards. Thats when I powered it off, moved the SD Card. That screen came back up, and I clicked move. It was for Four Swords Adventures.

The Lamp

If you are at the same point I was at, if you click Move it's gonna tell you it can't find any DSIWare, and that you should power off and swap SD cards. Thats when I powered it off, moved the SD Card. That screen came back up, and I clicked move. It was for Four Swords Adventures.

Got it. That's exactly how it worked. I'm just kind of scared to proceed in some of the steps because of how many ways there are to mess up lol. Thanks!

Togeo

Underestimated the wireless transfer thinking it would just take around 3-5 hours. 4 hours in, I'm about half way to 50% on 1/6 files.

Looks like I'll be playing Monday haha.

shuusin

Neo Member
Okay so I've read the transfer threads prior to getting my n3ds and thought I knew what I was doing but I've confused myself.

1) I have a 3DS that I've given to a family member and do not have access to for a few weeks.
2) The only thing I want from that 3DS are my digital eShop games, eg. NNID transfer.

Since I cannot do a transfer without the console, I was planning on not registering the NNID on my n3ds until I got the 3ds back; but if I start playing with my n3ds online (MH4) and try to transfer later, I believe I will lose my MH4 data.

Is the solution to register my NNID on my n3ds? Or still just to wait until I get access to my 3DS?

Weird question but is it possible to transfer data from a N3DS XL to a regular 3DS? My buddy got the MonHun SE but has the game physically and was willing to "transfer" the digital version to me. Doesn't seem like that can be done based on Nintendo's support article. If that's truly the case, once I receive my personal N3DS XL has anyone done a N3DSXL to N3DSXL system transfer? I figure after I transfer my 3DS to my N3DS XL I can just use his MonHun edition to pop the game to my Majora's Mask edition, no?
Once you transfer to an N3DS you can't transfer back to old.

Do not do the bolded. In the case of the bolded your MM system is the target system and a target system, A) gets formatted (so all saves lost), B) can't have an NNID linked.

What you have to do instead is transfer MH to MM system (don't make NNID on either), wait 1 week, then transfer regular 3DS onto MM system.

Okay so I've read the transfer threads prior to getting my n3ds and thought I knew what I was doing but I've confused myself.

1) I have a 3DS that I've given to a family member and do not have access to for a few weeks.
2) The only thing I want from that 3DS are my digital eShop games, eg. NNID transfer.

Since I cannot do a transfer without the console, I was planning on not registering the NNID on my n3ds until I got the 3ds back; but if I start playing with my n3ds online (MH4) and try to transfer later, I believe I will lose my MH4 data.

Is the solution to register my NNID on my n3ds? Or still just to wait until I get access to my 3DS?
Your NNID is registered on your 3DS you lent away, right? If so you won't be able to link it to the N3DS. If you never made an NNID on that 3DS don't make one on the N3DS because it will prevent the system transfer (and since you cant transfer N3DS to 3DS...).

You are correct that the MH save data will be gone for a digital version when the transfer is done.

shuusin

Neo Member
Your NNID is registered on your 3DS you lent away, right? If so you won't be able to link it to the N3DS. If you never made an NNID on that 3DS don't make one on the N3DS because it will prevent the system transfer (and since you cant transfer N3DS to 3DS...).

You are correct that the MH save data will be gone for a digital version when the transfer is done.

First, thanks for doing God's work and helping people.

Yes, my NNID is registered on my 3DS that I lent away. I'm not sure what you mean by a digital version, I have a physical version of MH4, does that make a difference?

Is there anyway for me to play now without losing data later? Or am I stuck until I can transfer?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I have the idea of how to do this.

I took my old SD card out of my old 3DS and transferred its files to my Mac, then transferred them onto my new (bigger) micro SD card, and using the adapter I put the new micro sd card into my old 3ds.

When it booted my saves were fine, but all my ambassador games were gone and stuff. Is this right? I know licenses are tied to the system. When I complete the full transfer will I be able to get them again?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Should I remove the SD card that shipped with the New 3DS before I initiate the transfer (I've already copied my original 3DS SD card to a micro, then stuck the new micro into my old 3DS)

Aiustis

Transfer complete. I should have upgraded my storage; I didn't realize my 16GB sd card was 2/3 full.

Should I remove the SD card that shipped with the New 3DS before I initiate the transfer (I've already copied my original 3DS SD card to a micro, then stuck the new micro into my old 3DS)

I did that at the end after it formatted the old system.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Transfer complete. I should have upgraded my storage; I didn't realize my 16GB sd card was 2/3 full.

I did that at the end after it formatted the old system.

So you left the card that came with the New 3DS in during the system transfer, and then afterwords stuck in your new microSD card that had all your old 3DS stuff on it and it worked?

Once you transfer to an N3DS you can't transfer back to old.

Do not do the bolded. In the case of the bolded your MM system is the target system and a target system, A) gets formatted (so all saves lost), B) can't have an NNID linked.

What you have to do instead is transfer MH to MM system (don't make NNID on either), wait 1 week, then transfer regular 3DS onto MM system.
Thank you kindly! Not sure if I can stare at that new system for a week without using it just to save a few dollars, but we'll see.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
It I'm moving (via wireless transfer) from a stock card in my old 3DS to the stock card in the new 3DS, do I select "move" at the DSi part? I want to transfer it, not move it to the SD card.

Aiustis

So you left the card that came with the New 3DS in during the system transfer, and then afterwords stuck in your new microSD card that had all your old 3DS stuff on it and it worked?

Yeah once it was done formatting and the Language option came up I turned it off and removed the card. On the target system their was an option for DSiware or something that had a 'move' or 'don't move choice' I turned it off and switched cards and when I turned it back on it was at that screen and I just selected move.

demigod

So I finished transferring and all, booted up MH4 and trying to download the gift. It's telling me there is no NNID linked to this system and to go to NNID Settings in System Settings. What am I supposed to do? I don't want to mess up and it affecting my MH4.

Edit : N/m, got it.

HIR0

I have a Majora's Mask console on the way. I already have a new 3DS and a regular 3DS XL.
The problem is, I made a NNID with my new 3DS. I want to transfer my NNID in my new 3DS to my Majora's Mask console and transfer my NNID on my regular 3DS XL to my new 3DS.
Is this possible?

So my friend has his n3dsXL already and wants to transfer his licenses over to his new device. should he just do option 1 then when he gets the bigger card he moves everything over from PC?

Top Bottom