• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guys, how do I deal with a stalker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikki

Dude is weird, but can't stop him from browsing the Internet. Why is your other friend hanging out with a dude who is obsessed with you? Tell your buddy to keep that shit to himself because you don't need this other guy's obsession bothering you. Then just keep on with your life. Once the stalker realizes that no one cares about his obsession he will probably stop. Maybe he'll stop. Either way you can't let it get you down.

Odah

Banned
^ Cus he wants to be "neutral". He doesn't want to be involved in that, he just tells me when he does something stupid. It wouldn't matter anyways if he asks him to stop because that wouldn't change a single bit.

I'm curious. What would he "win"? He's already causing you distress which, to me, sounds like he's already "winning".

I dunno. I just don't want to "give up" my identidy just because some creep is stalking me.

I guess, like many of you said, he will lose interest after some time

Ayumi

Some tips based on personal experience.

Don't worry, I ripped my stalkers' spines out and choked them with it.

You really need to show him that you do not care what he does. If he reads this thread, then I guess you're kinda SOL for a while. But generally, stalkers and people who have malicious intent (like trolls) will eventually give up/go away.

The reason they do this is usually two reasons:

1) They want to be with you
2) They want to be you

Like I said, the first thing is to try not to give a shit. I know it can be hard but you have to try very hard. It doesn't sound like he has any bad intents with this because of how open he is about it, but you still want to be cautious.

Don't feed the trolls, and don't feed the stalker. If he ever talks to you or show up somewhere on your social media, completely ignore him. Don't post passive aggressive things or waste even 1 pixel on complaining/posting about him (at least not after this thread).

If you feel that you are in danger, then you should not be posting in this thread, but you should be going to the police. However, it doesn't sound like it's that serious.

He'll go away eventually. It's almost certain. If you try to hide, he might become more obsessed in finding you again or read stuff you've made private.. I was dumb enough to pretend I left the internet once because someone was getting very obsessed/creepy, which caused him to dox me and threaten to call my school/family and do some very bad stuff. So my teacher ended up getting the police involved.. But I've after that met other cases when they just stopped/gave up once I showed no interest. Honestly, not many online stalkers will go that far, unless they're some 13 year old script kiddie who is all type and no action.

The thing about the internet in general, is that once you show an ounce of care, it can get really bad. So my tl;dr advice is to just try to pretend he doesn't exist. Do what you do and don't let some sad obsessed shitbag get in your way. You'll be fine!

If he starts contacting people you talk to, then it might be time to think of something else to do about it. But just take it easy~

Symphonia

Banned
What if the Stalker "hacked" OPs account and posted the topic and now real OP is freaked out cause he can't remember posting the thread...
And OP's 'friend' is also a fragment of OP's imagination. So you have OP, fearing for their life. OP's 'stalker' who is OP's psychotic side. And OP's 'friend' who is OP's 'prankster' side, stirring shit up. Question is, OP, what is real and what isn't?

Odah

Banned
^ ilumminatee confirmerino

Some tips based on personal experience.

Don't worry, I ripped my stalkers' spines out and choked them with it.

You really need to show him that you do not care what he does. If he reads this thread, then I guess you're kinda SOL for a while. But generally, stalkers and people who have malicious intent (like trolls) will eventually give up/go away.

The reason they do this is usually two reasons:

1) They want to be with you
2) They want to be you

Like I said, the first thing is to try not to give a shit. I know it can be hard but you have to try very hard. It doesn't sound like he has any bad intents with this because of how open he is about it, but you still want to be cautious.

Don't feed the trolls, and don't feed the stalker. If he ever talks to you or show up somewhere on your social media, completely ignore him. Don't post passive aggressive things or waste even 1 pixel on complaining/posting about him (at least not after this thread).

If you feel that you are in danger, then you should not be posting in this thread, but you should be going to the police. However, it doesn't sound like it's that serious.

He'll go away eventually. It's almost certain. If you try to hide, he might become more obsessed in finding you again or read stuff you've made private.. I was dumb enough to pretend I left the internet once because someone was getting very obsessed/creepy, which caused him to dox me and threaten to call my school/family and do some very bad stuff. So my teacher ended up getting the police involved.. But I've after that met other cases when they just stopped/gave up once I showed no interest. Honestly, not many online stalkers will go that far, unless they're some 13 year old script kiddie who is all type and no action.

The thing about the internet in general, is that once you show an ounce of care, it can get really bad. So my tl;dr advice is to just try to pretend he doesn't exist. Do what you do and don't let some sad obsessed shitbag get in your way. You'll be fine!

If he starts contacting people you talk to, then it might be time to think of something else to do about it. But just take it easy~
Thanks for this, I for sure will do that. It just baffles my mind that a person can go so far without any real understandable reasoning.

And OP's 'friend' is also a fragment of OP's imagination. So you have OP, fearing for their life. OP's 'stalker' who is OP's psychotic side. And OP's 'friend' who is OP's 'prankster' side, stirring shit up. Question is, OP, what is real and what isn't?

My head hurts now
and my stalkers head too...

m3k

Tell him these exact words:

"Get out of here stalker," he will never stalk you again
Lol gaf advice is great

Really though tell your friend to stop telling you about it or confront stalker and ask him if what useless friend says is true

Actually neutral friend is a weirdo as well, fuck that guy

^ I don't know him in real life. I just know where he lives but not even that to 100%
Wait, what? Where was he an asshole to you then? I mean, it sounds like there's some history there. And do you know your "mutual" friend (the person he shows everything to) in real life?

Do you stay in the US? Don't you guys just shoot people who get on your nerves/annoy you?

Ok really bad jokes aside, I'm from the UK so my advice may not be worthwhile but over here the police do treat things that happen over the Internet as equal to similar happenings IRL.

May be worthwhile at least making them aware of what's going on so that if something were to happen due to this, they would have precious history of harrasment.

Personally, I'd warn him to stop and notify the police then if he didn't id beat the shit out of him.

Odah

Banned
^ I am from Austria. Don't really know how things over internet are handled here. I don't really like violence tbh :/ would never beat or be mean to anyone. (But in games I fuk shit up)

Wait, what? Where was he an asshole to you then? I mean, it sounds like there's some history there. And do you know your "mutual" friend (the person he shows everything to) in real life?

Harassing me, talking shit about me, going on my ex-gf's ask.com page to make fun of me, sharing private stuff about me, using my skype info to troll people on omegle, ...should I continue?

Yeah I know him irl, but since I know what his friend is doing I don't bother much anymore about this friendship either tbh.

I'm not someone who has that many friends and I rather have none instead of assholes being around me.

I don't mind this guy because he is essentially helping me because he doesn't like it either. Don't ask me why he keeps on being his friend, no idea.

^ I am from Austria. Don't really know how things over internet are handled here. I don't really like violence tbh :/ would never beat or be mean to anyone. (But in games I fuk shit up)

Harassing me, talking shit about me, going on my ex-gf's ask.com page to make fun of me, sharing private stuff about me, using my skype info to troll people on omegle, ...should I continue?

Yeah I know him irl, but since I know what his friend is doing I don't bother much anymore about this friendship either tbh.

I'm not someone who has that many friends and I rather have none instead of assholes being around me.

I don't mind this guy because he is essentially helping me because he doesn't like it either. Don't ask me why he keeps on being his friend, no idea.

Well Austria is part of the EU so they should be covered by some EU law legislation in regards to the Internet and harassment?

May be worthwhile looking into :)

As an American I think this is fantastic. Sad but true. I laughed. Good job.

Thanks, just a bit of fun, hopefully no one was offended :p

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
4BfTiHR.gif

I am the Dragon. And you call me insane. You are privy to a great becoming, but you recognize nothing. To me, you are a slug in the sun. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do one thing correctly. Before me, you rightly tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. YOU OWE ME AWE.

It sucks. On my old forum we had a troll that would stalk the people he was trolling. He had a giant textlog of everyone he hated and all their info and things they've said. Worst thing was he gloated about how rich he was and how happy his life was, he boasted how he enjoys tormenting people but, it doesn't matter as he's rich and happy.

We figured he was a lonely neckbeard. We were so wrong. He eventually got bored and left once we started ignoring him.

I have had a gay stalker. Luckily it was college and I could easily move. It was hard because everybody just thought it was funny until it got really scary. You can't reason with them. Facts like that I was straight or had a girlfriend didn't matter to him. Started off nicely rejecting him and then had to escalate to just yelling at him to get the fuck away didn't matter. Stalkers are crazy and you can't mess with crazy. Hope this helps.

It sucks. On my old forum we had a troll that would stalk the people he was trolling. He had a giant textlog of everyone he hated and all their info and things they've said. Worst thing was he gloated about how rich he was and how happy his life was, he boasted how he enjoys tormenting people but, it doesn't matter as he's rich and happy.

We figured he was a lonely neckbeard. We were so wrong. He eventually got bored and left once we started ignoring him.
Yup. Some rich people are assholes. -Smiles-

You gotta be ice cold and just completely fucking ignore him. Forget he exists, just be yourself and do your thing. Guard what you can in terms of making Facebook private and so on (which is not just to guard against him but is better in general imo) and just go about your way. I've had some internet stalkers before too, it's a bit scarier if they're closer to you and know people you know as well, but even then, just let it go. You also have your friend who can warn you if he gets too crazy, so nothing to worry about really.

You're probably gonna have to deal with this a few times in your life from ex (or current if you're unlucky) girl/boy friends and regular friends. Some people are just weird like that, but it's important to not get paranoid from it and let it impact other friendships in the future and so on.

If someone was standing outside your house waiting for you, only to take a bunch of pictures whenever you get out and follow you everywhere, track your every move, what would you do?

You'd call the fucking cops. And that's what you should do. Just because it's the internet and it's public doesn't mean he gets to stalk your every movement.

Just MAKE SURE that you are 100% correct that you are being stalked. Shit will hit the fan for him, the cops won't make fun of you, they'd get fired for doing that, and that actually sounds pretty freaky, they'll try to help you out.

The worst that could happen is that the cops are unable to do anything, it's worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom