• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 26 - Feb 1 | Zaibatschu

Manbig

JDCR's bitch calling from last time almost ruining his friendship with Saint and then Saint threatening to kill boosters. My god that show had it all!

Manbig

was Strong Style a tournament?

It's a Tekken only tournament that Bronson Tran runs. He hasn't had one in a few years, but ran it last year in dedication to a friend of his that passed away. Bronson, being the crazy person that he is, paid out of pocket to avoid charging venue fees, and housed some of the international top players that came through for it.

Thing is, Bronson decided to not stream it. He instead is going to release all of the videos later with an absurd amount of information, like detailed stat break downs on moves used, throws broken, launchers connected, etc.., and added commentary and match breakdowns from several top players.

Needless to say, it's a pretty ambitious project.

Anne

I don't know how kosher it is to drive by and just promote myself, but with P4U2 being more of a thing again and it being at Evo and all I do a lot of stuff for it I guess. I stream it a lot over at my channel, so um yeah if you're interested go see.

I say that now because I ran into Bananaken SLab the other night and played him for a solid hour, and I highlighted because it was good stuff to see I thinks: http://www.twitch.tv/anneifrank/c/5982454

Sub-Zero murdered his family. -_-

Also, Ed Boon voices Scorpion in the old movie and in the games, so he is clearly the best by that fact alone.

nope. he was framed. basically Scorpion & Sub Zero (Bi Han, the older brother) murdered each other for no reason other than the both of em being played like a fiddle by Quan Chi.

We're sending Q to EVO again? Neat! If nobody volunteers by February or so, then Q can stay in my room again if he wants.
subzero is awesome b/c of his ice ability, and didnt scorpion kill sub zero's brother

Yeah, he killed SZ in MK1. Then in MK2, when another SZ was walking around, he was wondering how he was alive. He then found out that he killed the older brother, and after watching the younger brother spare someone's life after a fight, he realizes that they're not the same. As atonement for killing his older brother, Scorpion decides to watch out for Sub-Zero as a guardian.

And if you're wondering why he had such a weird change of heart at the end there, it was explained in a tie-in comic for the first MK game that Scorpion wanted to kill Sub-Zero in the tournament because he is "not a murderer." He only wanted revenge for his death.

Not even that controversial to be honest.

I do however dig me some Soul Calibur lore.

From what I've read of post-SC2 Calibur, it kinda went off the rails. Typical thing where your premise demands conclusion but you can't do it => escalate, escalate, oh this guy is back alive again, the whole merry go round.

I'm having difficulty finding good SCV tutorials
the 8wayrun forums are not fun to wade through and although there are some character specific guides on YT, i'm not even sure what character i'd like to play yet.

Honestly, I think 8 Way Run might be your best bet. I haven't gone there in a long while, but back when Soul Calibur V was out I was heading there daily, and one year after the game released, I would still find 8 Way Run to be the best place for general SC knowledge.

Again, I haven't been there in long while, but my general plan would be to sift through the beginner section's sticky topics, go to a character forum and look for the "top 10 moves" topic and just use that knowledge with basic fundamentals and go from there.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Honestly, I think 8 Way Run might be your best bet. I haven't gone there in a long while, but back when Soul Calibur V was out I was heading there daily, and one year after the game released, I would still find 8 Way Run to be the best place for general SC knowledge.

Again, I haven't been there in long while, but my general plan would be to sift through the beginner section's sticky topics, go to a character forum and look for the "top 10 moves" topic and just use that knowledge with basic fundamentals and go from there.
I'll have to suck it up and start diggin' then. shame that every game doesn't have something like this

Anyone else hype for MKX despite never playing the series? I feel like I've gone back and forth on it

I'll have to suck it up and start diggin' then. shame that every game doesn't have something like this

Anyone else hype for MKX despite never playing the series? I feel like I've gone back and forth on it

Nope, I have a severe overstock of strawberries so I pretty much just throw them at people.

Yeah, but does he expect something other than input-delay?

Given that the game is old enough to be emulated well - like, say, Tencent's Chinese implementations do, yeah, rollback should be expected. It's typically difficult to implement due to resource considerations and engine construction, but an easy-to-emulate old game on PC has none of those issues.

chocolate disco

Neo Member
Given that the game is old enough to be emulated well - like, say, Tencent's Chinese implementations do, yeah, rollback should be expected. It's typically difficult to implement due to resource considerations and engine construction, but an easy-to-emulate old game on PC has none of those issues.
It would be a reasonable expectation in a case of a new porting team. But we already know that it is still Code Mystics. They are doing a decent job with updates on 98, though. Props to them.

I can pitch in a bit for Q to go to Evo this year.

Naw. Quan Chi killed Scorpion's family.

nope. he was framed. basically Scorpion & Sub Zero (Bi Han, the older brother) murdered each other for no reason other than the both of em being played like a fiddle by Quan Chi.
Sub-Zero just never communicated that it wasn't him? :p

Scorpion is still cooler. Though Ermac was looking pretty swag in those gifs.

They could still make a new roster without alienating the audience.

Tekken 3 did that and it is still the best selling Tekken game of all time, with 8.5 million copies sold.
I don't think people, en masse, have ever been as beholden to the Tekken roster as people are to the MK and SF classics.

Amedo310

Kof 02um will be a 360 port to pc. It is the most realistic route for snk. I'm cool with what ever SNK puts out especially if code mystics us involve with the port. Also, Tencent is most likely done with SNK once they complete the business deal over the licensing of KOF97.

Tizoc

My first entry into the Tekken series would be 3, yet even though my cousin had tekken 2 on ps1, I was more attached to the T3 cast.

Bizazedo

I shouldn't have opened this thread, now I want to go to Evo again. Damnit. So far out of it, though, just now learning about the Jamie Lee Curtis thing.

Well, not every game is Virtua Fighter. ;]

I was going to wait until the official word from Shouta, but I will donate to "Q-2" fund as I did donate the first time. I don't know if I'll go to EVO this year, so helping somebody else go will be fine by me.

Top Bottom