• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor:Ubisoft showed Unity,Victory,AC VII locations back in 2013, Japan after London?

Personally I can't see Japan being right after London. Why? Because they would have to make all new assets and couldn't really recycle anything. The move to London isn't because that's where the story is heading, it's because that is the cheapest place to create. Bringing over all those Paris assets and only having to slightly tweak them and create the key London structures from scatch. I think we will have at least two more AC games with a European theme till we see anything completely new for the setting.

Good point. Plus the Japan picture could just be teasing that 2d side scrolling game that was for people who pre-ordered Unity or whatever it was. Still I hope that's not the case. Japan excites me more than London to be honest.

Edit: Beaten to a pulp

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Personally I can't see Japan being right after London. Why? Because they would have to make all new assets and couldn't really recycle anything. The move to London isn't because that's where the story is heading, it's because that is the cheapest place to create. Bringing over all those Paris assets and only having to slightly tweak them and create the key London structures from scatch. I think we will have at least two more AC games with a European theme till we see anything completely new for the setting.
Good point, can't really imagine them not reusing some of Arno's animations in Victory.

Good point, can't really imagine them not reusing some of Arno's animations in Victory.

Slightly OT but is Arno going to be in Victory? Not sure if you could tell from that leaked video or not. Seems a waste to throw him away and grab a new character for Victory, especially when he is quite a cool character.

Crossing Eden

Slightly OT but is Arno going to be in Victory? Not sure if you could tell from that leaked video or not. Seems a waste to throw him away and grab a new character for Victory, especially when he is quite a cool character.
Not likely considering that it'll likely take place many many years after Unity ended, the last event in Unity is in 1804, Arno by that time is 36. Big Ben was opened in 1859.

Oh man oh man, I am so into this. Whether it's the past or modern day, I'm down. I'd probably prefer modern day but I'm betting they'll keep Assassin's Creed set in historical places.

Exploring Kyoto and all those temples? It's going to be so awesome.

Not likely considering that it'll likely take place many many years after Unity ended, the last event in Unity is in 1804, Arno by that time is 36. Big Ben was opened in 1859.

Duhh of course. That sucks but intruiged as to what character is next then! I really hope they stick with someone for a few games though like they did with Ezio.

Warablo

Didn't they have pictures of places and stuff all over in present day Black Flag that haven't been showcased? I think its somewhat filler with some possible ideas that they have thought up.

Crossing Eden

Duhh of course. That sucks but intruiged as to what character is next then! I really hope they stick with someone for a few games though like they did with Ezio.
Part of a survey they did recently asked questions about how we'd feel about a new trilogy. For all we know Victory's protagonist will be related to Arno biologically. Remains to be seen.

Didn't they have pictures of places and stuff all over in present day Black Flag that haven't been showcased? I think its somewhat filler with some possible ideas that they have thought up.
There were mentions of possible locations but I think Darby debunked those as just being easter eggs.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ok, I'll conceed that they can certainly do 19th century Japan. But, do you think my larger scenario is correct that they'll probably not go backwards in time and that each subsequent game will move closer to our time period?

If they never go back in time they're going to run out of time periods. Ubisoft is going to try and milk this cow for as long as possible.

Notwithstanding the fact that they did go back in time for Black Flag.

jschreier

Random fun fact about the Victory leak to Kotaku: I have a buddy who works for Ubi Montreal and he was telling me that they caught the employee who leaked the info and assets about the London game. They were pissed. Sent out an email to the whole company .
And due to the fact that the dude had signed all sortsa NDA stuff as an employee, he was criminally charged as well as fired. They don't play around.

Just thought it was interesting, seeing as how some people were spreading the rumor that Ubi's top brass intentionally leaked the Victory stuff to take attention off of Unity's problems.
I have no doubt that your friend told you this, but fortunately, it's not true.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I'm going with Moscow for after London. They usually like to three locations per engine. AC2, Rome, and Constanipole had same engine. AC3, AC4 and Rouge had the same whine. Unity, Victory and whatever comes next is likely to be a similar city enviornment.

i dont even know what this means

The core gameplay mechanics need to be completely overhauled. They tried a bandaid solution in Unity with the free run up/down and vaulting etc, it helped but many of the previous issues from past games are still present, and it still feels like a battle to get your character to do what you want.

Crossing Eden

The core gameplay mechanics need to be completely overhauled. They tried a bandaid solution in Unity with the free run up/down and vaulting etc, it helped but many of the previous issues from past games are still present, and it still feels like a battle to get your character to do what you want.
After getting used to the system Arno does whatever I want. It's much easier to do moves that would be harder to pull off in the earlier games. Here's an examples of gameplay I recorded on my ps4.
wwkupn.gif

Just a little more fine tuning and it'll be perfect. A notion that I think could be applied to many aspects of Unity.

I hope they make the combat and parkour feel more responsive. Unity almost feels like there's an intentional sluggishness to my inputs.

sjay1994

Considering Victory is being done mainly by ubi quebec, and Montreal is apparently free to expriemnt with the series.... I don't think japan is out of the realm of possibility for 2016.

3 was a new engine, and 4 used recycled assets

Unity is new engine, and Victory is recylcing assets

So probably the Japan one is a new engine as well, and most likely will be broken at launch.

Crossing Eden

Considering Victory is being done mainly by ubi quebec, and Montreal is apparently free to expriemnt with the series.... I don't think japan is out of the realm of possibility for 2016.

3 was a new engine, and 4 used recycled assets

Unity is new engine, and Victory is recylcing assets

So probably the Japan one is a new engine as well, and most likely will be broken at launch.
Just clarifying that Unity's engine is a heavily modified version of AC3's engine. Heavily modified and not hindered by last gen. When AC3 came out they mentioned that the engine was made with next gen in mind.

iNvid02

a few mechanics could be further refined but thats far from "fixing the gameplay",, seems like the state the game shipped in is blurring things

Omni

If anything I expect Egypt to be next. But I guess we'll see.

Hope Arno makes another appearance in the future, whatever the case.

a few mechanics could be further refined but thats far from "fixing the gameplay",, seems like the state the game shipped in is blurring things

I didn't play the game at launch, just picked it up a few weeks ago.

Obviously we have different opinions but the gameplay to me doesn't feel like it's just a few refinements away from perfect. It still feels fundamentally archaic and broken. Getting around the city is fine but trying to do anything with precision like manuever around a window ledge is still a nightmare.

Crossing Eden

I didn't play the game at launch, just picked it up a few weeks ago.

Obviously we have different opinions but the gameplay to me doesn't feel like it's just a few refinements away from perfect. It still feels fundamentally archaic and broken. Getting around the city is fine but trying to do anything with precision like manuever around a window ledge is still a nightmare.
Never had a huge problem with windows either.
itavmr.gif

If anything when I make a mistake and Arno sticks to something I attribute that to my mistake and not the fault of the game as it was following my inputs.

They've repeatedly said that they're not going to do something as "cliche" as Japan, but at the same time if they keep doing one game a year they're eventually going to run out of better ideas than that.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Assassin's Creed Rogue was better than Black Flag and Unity. Rogue was also my 2014 game of the year. The game was just as big as Black Flag but separated into three different maps. The only thing that was smaller was the story sequences but that was a good thing because it limited the tailing and following missions while completely eliminating the eavesdropping missions. Also, it was a pure single player experience and that includes the Naval Campaign. No shitty multi-player. No shitty co-op. No shitty micro-transactions. No shitty companion app. No shit. Just a pure single player experience and a great one at that. Loved Rogue. Also, the ending is awesome.

Hubble

They've repeatedly said that they're not going to do something as "cliche" as Japan, but at the same time if they keep doing one game a year they're eventually going to run out of better ideas than that.

I don't think Japan is cliche at all. There other entries have been really cliche especially Unity, and maybe not so much Black Flag and the Revolution.

I don't think Japan is cliche at all. There other entries have been really cliche especially Unity, and maybe not so much Black Flag and the Revolution.

Before Assassin's Creed came along, ninjas in feudal Japan was pretty much the first and only thing you'd think of when it came to settings containing people using stealth and blades to assassinate people. That pretty well qualifies it as "cliche" in my eyes.

benzy

Yeah, trying to make Arno do what you want is absolute trash especially maneuvering through windows. He'll start to climb an invisible wall instead; 1000 people worked on this game and we get shit like this.

tvoojt.gif

Kanyon

1000 people worked on this game and we get shit like this.

The old saying of too many cooks spoils the broth comes to mind. I think Unity was a case of way too many hands involved and it just grew out of control. That explains the broken mess, to me at least.

As for upcoming AC games definitely want to see some Japan and South American locales if possible, don't know how they'd approach the South American destinations as my history on the area isn't up to snuff.

But it will be a case of if the logistics work, you can't just criss-cross to different locations without significant investment into the development of these vastly different locales - hence the reuse of assets comes into play.

Yeah, trying to make Arno do what you want is absolute trash especially maneuvering through windows. He'll start to climb an invisible wall instead; 1000 people worked on this game and we get shit like this.

tvoojt.gif

The person in the video was probably holding the traditional RT+X/A combo. That is a big no no in Unity. Only use that for attempting to run directly up something or for big jumps and vaults.

All the settings for Assassin's Creed games always bored me, but Japan would be legit cool to see! I probably still wouldn't play the game because AssCreed's gameplay doesn't appeal to me, but I would like to at least see Japan done.

norm9

Count me in for Japan. I'd also be down with China and sneaking around the Forbidden City. I'm deep in Black Flag and Unity at the moment but I'd be way into an eastern interpretation at some point. I'm a big fan of all the snarky fast facts (it's actually my fave part of the games, the postmodern info) the animus gives out, and would be interested in seeing their perspective of the "orient."

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Seeing as every AssCreed game has played chronologically after the next, I'm assuming they would set it during the Meji-restauration.
Assassin's Creed IV plays before Assassin's Creed 3, you play the grandfather of 3's hero in 4...

Never had a huge problem with windows either.
itavmr.gif

If anything when I make a mistake and Arno sticks to something I attribute that to my mistake and not the fault of the game as it was following my inputs.

I'm happy that you're good at the game but I have 30+ hours in AC Unity and I still cannot get Arno to do what I want him to. That tells me there's a problem there.

And that's just freerunning straight through it, which works fine for me. I'm talking about if I'm hanging on a ledge below the window sill and I want to climb inside. The game tells you to hold L2 but that doesn't work half the time, he'll climb up the side of the window frame or above the window or some random thing to the side. Then eventually he'll go through it after you've fucked around for 5 or 10 seconds.

Crossing Eden

tvoojt.gif
Yea you get shit like that when you're pressing the wrong controls, Arno doesn't run up walls unless R2+X is being pressed, that person should've been holding R2+O. I would bet money that just holding R2+O would've resulted in a vault.

I'm happy that you're good at the game but I have 30+ hours in AC Unity and I still cannot get Arno to do what I want him to. That tells me there's a problem there.

And that's just freerunning straight through it, which works fine for me. I'm talking about if I'm hanging on a ledge below the window sill and I want to climb inside. The game tells you to hold L2 but that doesn't work half the time, he'll climb up the side of the window frame or above the window or some random thing to the side. Then eventually he'll go through it after you've fucked around for 5 or 10 seconds.
If you're hanging directly below you can just press forward to get inside. Nothing us but forward. If there's a diagonal angle between you and the window, that's when L2 is necessary.

fedexpeon

Banned
Yeah, I would love an Eastern setting.
Chinese/Japanese weapons will require them to finally change the attack animation, and combat system. No more boring Western hollywood fighting animation.
And since it is Eastern style...please add in wall running and gliding, eff slow climbing on building like a loser.

bobawesome

As sick and tired of Assassin's Creed as I am...I'm fully on board for a feudal Japan Assassin's Creed. Please, Ubisoft.

Im half expecting Arno to come back, maybe in Egypt it was kinda teased about Napoleon and Egypt in the dead kings dlc on one of the item descriptions

Sojgat

London doesn't interest me at all, and I pretty much had to force myself to play Unity, but I'd buy Ass Creed Japan day 1.

Dantis

tvoojt.gif

Yeah, it's totally weird that Arno doesn't do what you want him to if you press the wrong buttons.

What a shit game. If the next one doesn't play itself perfectly regardless of what I press, I hope everyone at Ubisoft is fired, and their families are evicted from their homes.

They could do 19th century Japan. I'm not too familiar with the specifics of the period, but couldn't they do something with the Westernization of Japan or something? Maybe something similar to The Last Samurai?
If they were to tackle Japan I would be my bottom dollar that Ubisoft would choose that exact period. That way they could have an excuse as to why the main character is white.

I'll be incredibly surprised if AC: Japan goes full Asian and doesn't mix any western culture/race in it at all.

If they were to tackle Japan I would be my bottom dollar that Ubisoft would choose that exact period. That way they could have an excuse as to why the main character is white.

I'll be incredibly surprised if AC: Japan goes full Asian and doesn't mix any western culture/race in it at all.

Sengoku Jidai?

Foreigners were coming over bringing guns and christianity etc, however I expect it wouldnt encompass the whole war, and I expect we'd play as Hanzo Hattori

Crossing Eden

If you haven't noticed they usually make the protagonist a race that a representative of the time period and location. Can't think of a time when they made the character white despite the location. We're talking about the same company that gave us A Trinidadian former slave, African American woman, and Native American protagonist just in the course of two years. They aren't very afraid of minority protagonists.

Top Bottom