• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes : SE says overseas release may be considered

ZhugeEX

Banned
Source is game watch, article from gematsu. Sounds like there is potential for an overseas release but I wouldn't read too much into it tbh.

Game Watch quizzed Square Enix on the potential of an overseas release of Dragon Quest Heroes during an interview at the Taipei Game Show.

“I want to proceed thinking positively,” Square Enix’s Ryutaro Ichimura said in response to the question of a western release. “Since we were able to announce the Chinese version in Taiwan today, seeing that reaction, I want to spread it even further around the world.”

The staff were also asked about English voice acting and multiplayer features.

Game Watch asked if a potential English version would include the option to switch between English and Japanese voice-overs.

“We haven’t decided anything about that yet, but if it’d be better to put it in, that’s something we’ll consider moving forward,” Ichimura said.

Koei Tecmo producer Kenichi Ogasawara added, “If such a need is strong, we’re going to consider it.”

Finally, the website asked about multiplayer. Specifically, whether or not it exists within Dragon Quest Heroes.

“There are no plans for completely synchronous multiplayer,” Ogasawara said, “but we will be incorporating a fun little element that uses the network. We haven’t officially announced that yet, but I think you’ll enjoy it.”

Source 1
Source 2

Searched and couldn't find anything, hence the new thread.

“We haven’t decided anything about that yet, but if it’d be better to put it in, that’s something we’ll consider moving forward,” Ichimura further said " We'll announce a localization for PS7 on the games 17th anniversary and charge full price too!"

Bastards

JordanN

Banned
They would be dumb to leave it as Japan only, given the PS4's overseas numbers eclipses Japan 10x over. Same goes for the PS3 version.

Sony should just publish the PS4 version over here.

Edit: Or even Tecmo Koei, they don't have any problems localizing their games.

rhandino

Banned
They would be dumb to leave it as Japan only, given the PS4's overseas numbers eclipses Japan 10x over. Same goes for the PS3 version.
Install base is not all that matters... Dragon Quest VIII and IX sold overseas less than in Japan if I remember correctly, and those where in the PS2 and the DS.

I really want this one, from what I gathered it appears is the evolution of the formula put in Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll but Square Enix is going to be dumb T_T

Edit: Sony publishing or Tecmo-Koei are the only hope, hell Nintendo published Dragon Quest IX overseas.

Mr. RPG

If we can't get Dragon Quest Heroes to come out here, then we can't get any Dragon Quest game to come out here period.

I could understand if they went for a very basic, No Frills translation and keep the Japanese VA only, but I'm really hoping for a full fledged localization. I want to hear Russian Alena and Kiryl!

JordanN

Banned
Install base is not all that matters... Dragon Quest VIII and IX sold overseas less than in Japan if I remember correctly, and those where in the PS2 and the DS.

I really want this one, from what I gathered it appears is the evolution of the formula put in Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll but Square Enix is going to be dumb T_T

PS2 and DS was a different era (although I'll be surprised if they weren't profitable at the end of the day).

When One Piece Musou games still get released here, I see no reason why DQ: Heroes can't.

Sandfox

PS2 and DS was a different era (although I'll be surprised if they weren't profitable at the end of the day).

When One Piece Musou games still get released here, I see no reason why DQ: Heroes can't.

If anything this type of game sold better back then.

I thought it was coming to the West anyway. Oops, my mistake. Could have sworn it was. That is disappointing, I hope it does.

rhandino

Banned
The two best selling consoles of all time and the ones with the most massive catalog of JRPG in their libraries.

Musou games are normally brought here by Tecmo-Koei or Namco Bandai who are happy with the sales they get from them...

The problem here is that Square really is really weird with Dragon Quest outside Japan, almost like they are afraid that if they don't get Final Fantasy numbers then why bother?, instead of grew the fanbase little steps at the time.

I remember reading something here about all the Dragon Quest games after IX underperfomed overseas but I don't have the info at hand right now.

Edit: I really need this game, the videos looks awesome and need a new Musou after Hyrule Warriors and Warriors Orochi 3

JordanN

Banned
The two best selling consoles of all time and the ones with the most massive catalog of JRPG in their libraries.

They were the last time Japan was a market leader for consoles, so I'm not surprised if both games did better there.

Unless a game is extremely niche or it's a 3DS title, I think the risks of releasing overseas is much different now.

Jigorath

Banned
Pretty much every Musou title gets localized. Even the Gundam games. Would not make much sense to hold this one back.

I'm pretty sure DQVIII and IX sold better in the west then any One Piece game, but I don't have the numbers.

8 and 9 may have but nearly every DQ spinoff game has sold awfully, and the last 2 games they put out (Joker 2 and 6 remake) bombed really hard. Like wouldn't even move off shelves with discounted price hard. And those were DS games, which were much cheaper to localize.

Maybe Tecmo Koei will feel differently but I'm just going to do my usual thing for Dragon Quest games and buy the Japanese version and assume this is never coming out here.

Toth

Well, SE has been releasing every DQ now on mobile so the DQ universe is finally unveiled to the western world, creating a familiarity of the series' diverse character roster. They should also look at Hyrule Warriors' success as a possible justification to localize the title for western audiences.

Well, SE has been releasing every DQ now on mobile so the DQ universe is finally unveiled to the western world, creating a familiarity of the series' diverse character roster. They should also look at Hyrule Warriors' success as a possible justification to localize the title for western audiences.

Zelda is way more recognizable and popular than DQ in west.

I don't understand how Western releases aren't automatic for Dragon Quest games. The name has to be big enough that it's worth their while to get more money out of those games and keep a world wide brand presence.

Who gives a sweet fuh about English voice overs if it makes the difference between coming out or not.

If I can stare at subtitles in Hyrule Warriors while mashing buttons I can do it for this, too.

I honestly don't give two shits about Dragon Quest, and even I think this game looks really cool and would consider buying it. Definitely hoping they do bring it over.

sörine

Banned
More than that I can't see the logic in bothering with a PS4 port at all if it wasn't planned for the west at the outset. Doing PS4 ports only for Japan make no financial sense unless they're moneyhatted.

wapplew

They just announce Chinese localization for the title with help from SCET, first DQ ever get the treatment, i think chances are high for western release.

Top Bottom