• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes : SE says overseas release may be considered

Oregano

Yes, Square Enix will release this in the west because it will cost very little effort in comparison to localizing RPGs, and action titles have a built in audience regardless of brand. Koei will also push for it, because they have a fanbase for Musou titles in the west.

It's a no brainer really. The fact that they specifically bring it up in a media interview in Japan pretty much seals the deal. These interviews are basically extended PR, not investigative journalism. :p

I agree it makes sense to localise it but aren't Musou games actually quite text heavy? Not in comparison to DQVII but I can't imagine the DQM games having notably bigger scripts.

I suppose that comes down to guaranteed built-in audience but I was under the (posssibly mistaken) impression that the first Joker game did well in the west.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I think the rest of Asia will start becoming an important market ( if it isn't already) for Japanese games. PS4's success there could also help.

Frankly, I'm surprised at the amount of games they are showing at this event and important ones at that.

Japanese devs have already started focusing on Asia more and more, first they started with browser based and online games, now we're seeing a continuation of that in the mobile and console spaces.

To give an example, last fiscal year, Koei increased game software sales in Asia by more than 65%. This was fuelled by localised versions of their big titles such as DW8XL and Toukiden. PS4's success is certainly one of the reasons why Asia will become a growing market.

Top Bottom