• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes : SE says overseas release may be considered

Toth

Zelda is way more recognizable and popular than DQ in west.

That is true but people appear to dig the style of that game and a similar big budget title with awesome graphics may now be more enticing to the western market.

Its going to be interesting to see what SE does when they get to the mobile DQ games that don't have an English translation.

They are all translated outside of 10. It just depends if the DQ7 on mobile is the 3ds remake or the original psx version.

Zee-Row

Banned
Its going to be interesting to see what SE does when they get to the mobile DQ games that don't have an English translation.

Its weird because Dragon Quest 1 , 2 and 3 have all new translations. They didn't use anything from the previous NES and Game Boy scripts other than naming Loto back to Erdrick.

jiggle

tumblr_ly4z1zITNU1rnw80to1_r3_250.gif

Blues1990

So, a lot like the previous Dragon Quest games, it won't be released in North America & Europe, right?

It's a shame, but it's pretty much expected at this point. :(

iMerc

unless Sony or KT publish it themselves, the west ISNT going to be getting this game.

This company is completely inept when it comes to knowing what the fuck to do with DQ.
every single DQ related game released since 2007 has been published by nintendo because SE are too 'risk adverse' to do it themselves.

Seriously this company doesn't even deserve to have this franchise.

Of course it will.

Its an AAA action JRPG on PS4.They don't make those very often.

i'm sorry but this makes no sense.
if anything that's the very reason why it likely WON'T come to the west.

again, if SE are to scared to even publish their own mainline entries, there's very little chance they'll bother with a spinoff title.

Bladenic

Fuck them, every Musou game since the dawn of time has released over here, and yet this is a "lolz we're thinking about it cuz dragon quest or some shit who cares"

fuck them

unless Sony or KT publish it themselves, the west ISNT going to be getting this game.

This company is completely inept when it comes to knowing what the fuck to do with DQ.
every single DQ related game released since 2007 has been published by nintendo because SE are too 'risk adverse' to do it themselves.

Seriously this company doesn't even deserve to have this franchise.

No it's our fault for not buying shitty Tose-developed DQ Monsters sequels.

crinale

By reading the original Japanese article I dare to say they are heavily implying the English version is coming.

evanmisha

A spinoff title without online multiplayer? Of course they'll release it stateside! They need a good excuse not to release 11 when it rolls around, after all.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
At this point, does anyone take anything SE says seriously? It really isn't worth investing any interest in this team. It's best just to ignore them and then one day they may kick down our doors and surprise us.

NolbertoS

The day SE releases DQ in any form other than mobile is when hell freezes over. If they can't be bothered with 2 year old 3DS DQ titles than I doubt they'll bother with the latest installment. And I thought Enix was bad in the early 2000's, SE can't even be bothered to release DQ out West. I hope Nintendo someday uses there massive warchest and buys that franchise from SE, I can see the DQ toys and merchandise and amiibos selling well and out West at least with Nintendo willing to publish more JRPG's in North America.

alexein

man square enix likes to troll.
its like "tales of " , if capcom release them in eu with efig you can do it for dq square.
you got dq 7, dq heroes and theatrerhythm dq, you have to release some games to build a fanbase.
a,d stop with those crazy expectation even tomb raider didnt do well enough for thrm.

JordanN

Banned
i'm sorry but this makes no sense.
if anything that's the very reason why it likely WON'T come to the west.

again, if SE are to scared to even publish their own mainline entries, there's very little chance they'll bother with a spinoff title.

But why make an AAA title at all, especially for just a market with the smallest share of home consoles?

I have no idea what Japanese budgets are but say the game costs 4 million to make (low end guess), it has to sell 66,666 copies to break even and that's before marketing costs.

Just a quick glance at the media create thread and Japan is basically handheld land.

Alo0oy

Banned
sörine;150013397 said:
More than that I can't see the logic in bothering with a PS4 port at all if it wasn't planned for the west at the outset. Doing PS4 ports only for Japan make no financial sense unless they're moneyhatted.

Right, Square must hate money & wants Final Fantasy XV & all their future big JRPGs to bomb hard.

Sandfox

But why make an AAA title at all, especially for just a market with the smallest share of home consoles?

I have no idea what Japanese budgets are but say the game costs 4 million to make (low end guess), it has to sell 66,666 copies to break even and that's before marketing costs.

Just a quick glance at the media create thread and Japan is basically handheld land.

Given how big DQ is in Japan I would assume they expect to make good money even if it doesn't come to the west.

Because it's not an AAA title. And 67k is nothing for a game from a big franchise.

considering how well "warrior" games sell, and square enix wanting (probably needing) money, it would be a good thing to release it overseas.

rhandino

Banned

Maybeeeeee you can look how much Dragon Quest sells there. They will break and even make a healthy profit of this game even if stays in Japan.

... For what is worth it, my hope is that Dragon Quest XI will be PS4 exclusive so Sony will have an interest in bring this one and announce the localization during E3. At this point is the only shot for this one has to make it here.

BELIEVE!

crinale

This one probably will make it overseas. It's the REST of the franchise that is doubtful...

Yeah I agree because this likely to have much less text to translate than mainline series.

Unfortunately with Nintendo out of the picture I have a bad feeling that we are fast returning to the dark ages of Dragon Quest localizations.

Meaning we won't see Dragon Quest Heroes or most other spin-offs outside of Japan.

Eh, They just announced Chinese version with Sony localizing the thing.

jeremy1456

Unfortunately with Nintendo out of the picture I have a bad feeling that we are fast returning to the dark ages of Dragon Quest localizations.

Meaning we won't see Dragon Quest Heroes or most other spin-offs outside of Japan.

Cmagus

Hopefully if it does it sells well because if it tanks that will not be good for the future of what little the franchise has here. Luckily most other musou games sell fairly well but I'm sure it won't meet the numbers that SE wants.

I'm just importing this and playing it I'm really not gonna hold my breathe for a NA version but if it does happen I'd gladly double dip.

Clunker

The iOS version of DQIV had fully translated Party Chat functionality, which AFAIK was never translated for the DS original release. It demonstrated that they're willing to add to the mobile releases, though who's to say if they'd do entire games whole-cloth.

And please please PLEEEEEZE bring the PS3 version of DQ Heroes over! I've never played any Musou or "not a Musou" game before, but the nostalgia fanboy allure of this is too much for me to bear. On the chance it never gets released in English, can anyone give an idea of what the language barrier is like for Musou games? Could I slip through it with a translation guide? The extent of my JP import experiences has only been with text-minimal handheld games like Ouendan and the bitGenerations titles.

18-Volt

I hate it when China gets better things than we got (they even got Phantasy Star Online 2 and Nova) and we're just sitting here begging for more localizations. Literally begging.

crinale

I hate it when China gets better things than we got (they even got Phantasy Star Online 2 and Nova) and we're just sitting here begging for more localizations. Literally begging.

Like Sony Taiwan stepping in for localization SoA or SoE should do something IMO. They even support save data transfer from Japanese version to Chinese one (since JA and TW are in same region Japanese version gets released over there before Chinese version).

Vitacat

Thought the title was referring to Rocket Slime 3DS for a second and got really excited

:(

Me too. Desperately want that game localized and PHYSICALLY released in NA. Along with the 3DS Kenka Banchou game. But I fear neither may happen.

Reveirg

It's SQEX. Nothing. They are ignorant about fan interest in the west, and I gather pretty stubborn.

That's not quite true. They went on record saying the fans uproar was what brought them to do Type-0 HD.

They've acknowledged the fans' interest in DQ last September, and said they were reconsidering DQ7's localization. Let's see if sonething comes out of that...

Like Sony Taiwan stepping in for localization SoA or SoE should do something IMO. They even support save data transfer from Japanese version to Chinese one (since JA and TW are in same region Japanese version gets released over there before Chinese version).

Sony Taiwan/Asia has been pretty impressive at localisation support.

If only they could extend it over to their western counterparts.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
The last musou game I played was Samurai Warriors for PS2. I need a new one. I seriously considered buying a WiiU for the Zelda-game. (The genre intrests me but the setting in Dynasty Warriors doesn't.)

#BuildingTheList

Let Sony localize Dragon Quest Heroes because Square Enix can't be fucked to.

Only way I can see this taking off is if Sony or TK take the helm. TK tend to localize EVERYTHING but the problem here is that it's Dragon Quest and Square Enix is involved in some way. I have an import copy on pre-order, but if TK or Sony ever bring it over I'll definitely buy it.

Basically Sony needs to pony up. SE games aren't going to localize themselves. SE is such a cheap company...the only thing they spend money on is mobile, FF and KH

Top Bottom